PDA

View Full Version : Smart phones

Al Czervik
10-10-07, 01:33 PM
Any advice on what to look for / brands to avoid???

iPhone is out of the question, but how about Blackberries, Treos, or Moto Qs???

WickerBill
10-10-07, 01:43 PM
Have and love blackberry 8800.

Nothing to compare it to, though.

extramundane
10-10-07, 01:54 PM
Any advice on what to look for / brands to avoid???

iPhone is out of the question, but how about Blackberries, Treos, or Moto Qs???

The Missus loves her Treo 700. It has some occasional hiccups that I've attributed mostly to Windows Mobile*, but it's been a pretty solid phone otherwise. That said, she doesn't need (or want) real-time email access (occasionally hitting her webmail site is sufficient), so if that's what you're looking for, this might not be your best choice. Oh, and the ringtone selection sucks. :gomer:

*Before the "Windows Mobile? OMGWTFBBQ!" stuff starts, our neighbor has the Palm OS version and it's a hunk o' junk.

Brickman
10-10-07, 01:57 PM
Yep

http://www.blackberry8800series.com/function/features/newfeatures.jsp

Best one yet...

Better than the 8700g {daughter's), no stylus needed like the Treo {Wife's old phone) which is a tad fatter and heavier, tended to freeze up. The BlackBerry® Pearl™ 8100™ {wife's replacement for Treo} is just not as capable as the 8800 {works with Lotus Notes}, but is smaller like a regular phone...

cameraman
10-10-07, 02:05 PM
What are your requirements? Do you need to just view or create/edit MS Office documents? What kind of email? Does it need to handle attachments? What about pdf files? Do you "need" to watch TV on it?

SteveH
10-10-07, 02:07 PM
I've got a Q (original version), use it for data only but have made a few calls on it. I have mixed feelings towards it. I doesn't fit in my hand as well as my son's Treo for phone calls. The keys are sort of small, hell they all are small but they seem smaller on the Q. I have unlimited data. Nice to be able to bring up live timing while at a race as well as some net surfing. However, you better have the extended battery if you do that. I'd say that's a requirement regardless, especially if you're using it for a phone as well. Battery life sucks. If you get one, get it in black. The finish is grippier than the silver version. However, you can't use the black one in a plastic skeleton type case, must use the supplied leather pouch otherwise the black paint scrapes off.

Since Verizon is now promoting the new version of the Q, I don't know if any of my comments apply towards that unit. I do know the keypad has been redesigned.

FWIW

extramundane
10-10-07, 02:24 PM
Slightly OT, but If anyone tests a LG Voyager, I'd be curious to hear your impressions...

Sean Malone
10-10-07, 02:40 PM
I would go with the SideKick. It allows you to text stuff to your homies like;
"sry 4gt 2 cal lst nyt.". The sidekick goes perfect with Panic! At the Disco cranked and the color pink.

Plus, spicoli has one. nuff said.:thumbup:

Insomniac
10-10-07, 02:40 PM
My brother has a blackjack and he's pretty happy with it. It supports Microsoft Exchange's "push" capability if you need that.

Wabbit
10-10-07, 03:06 PM
If you are thinking about the Windows Mobile versions, make sure it is version 6.

There are two types of phones, a smartphone and a PocketPC. PocketPC will allow you to open/edit/create Mobile Office documents. A smartphone may only let you open. Also, depending on the carriers and the phone model, some Mobile 5 are not able to be upgraded.

I just got a T-Mobile Wing a couple of weeks ago and really like it.

Sean Malone
10-10-07, 03:27 PM
If you are thinking about the Windows Mobile versions, make sure it is version 6.

There are two types of phones, a smartphone and a PocketPC. PocketPC will allow you to open/edit/create Mobile Office documents. A smartphone may only let you open. Also, depending on the carriers and the phone model, some Mobile 5 are not able to be upgraded.

I just got a T-Mobile Wing a couple of weeks ago and really like it.

But not all PocketPC's are cell phones right? Thus the hoopla over the iPhone?

dando
10-10-07, 03:31 PM
If co$t is a concern, Palm has a new $99 smartphone through Sprint:

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9786155-7.html

Beyond that Crackberry 8800s pretty much rule the roost around my office. I have yet to take the plunge, as I want to see the GPhone.

-Kevin

Wabbit
10-10-07, 03:41 PM
But not all PocketPC's are cell phones right? Thus the hoopla over the iPhone?

Correct. The reason I got the cell phone version was because I didn't want to carry around 2 devices.

Indy
10-10-07, 06:13 PM
If you are a Mac person and you do not want an iPhone, then the Treo 755p is the way to go, IMO. I am still using my 650, which is also a Palm OS phone, and though it is very slow now compared to the newer models, it has more features and usability than an iPhone (like, for example, a usable keyboard and the ability not only to view, but also to create and modify Word and Excel docs). I am waiting to see the new Centro before I upgrade to the 755p, but from what I just read in that review, it looks like the 755p will be the right answer.

Also a big key for me is that I use around 2000 minutes per month and rely heavily on POP3 email, which I can do with Sprint for less than $150 per month.

Al Czervik
10-10-07, 06:29 PM
Thanks for all the info. Anticipated use is POP3 e-mail, MS Office & PDF viewing (shouldn't need to edit). I will probably have to stay with Sprint as a num-nuts co-worker just re-upped the contract with his new phone. Once I have one I'll probably find a bunch of other stuff to use / wish it had.

Insomniac
10-10-07, 08:22 PM
Thanks for all the info. Anticipated use is POP3 e-mail, MS Office & PDF viewing (shouldn't need to edit). I will probably have to stay with Sprint as a num-nuts co-worker just re-upped the contract with his new phone. Once I have one I'll probably find a bunch of other stuff to use / wish it had.

A buddy of mine works for Sprint and he uses "The Mogul". I messed with it for a few minutes, it was pretty nice. He had a Treo 7 something before that.

Brickman
10-10-07, 10:07 PM
A buddy of mine works for Sprint and he uses "The Mogul". I messed with it for a few minutes, it was pretty nice. He had a Treo 7 something before that.

http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/htc_6800/

Brickman
10-10-07, 10:12 PM
Pick a phone... any phone.;)

http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/index_all.php

IlliniRacer
10-10-07, 10:38 PM
Treo 650 w Palm OS. Apparently I'm the last man on earth who still uses the Palm OS ;) . It does have some quirks, but I've used it for so long that I'm used to it. Also, if I can't find an app to do what I want, it fairly simple to write a program.

Spicoli
10-10-07, 11:51 PM
I would go with the SideKick. It allows you to text stuff to your homies like;
"sry 4gt 2 cal lst nyt.". The sidekick goes perfect with Panic! At the Disco cranked and the color pink.

Plus, spicoli has one. nuff said.:thumbup:

********. I roll old skool.

http://i22.tinypic.com/zlyum1.jpg

Doubles as a weapon.

Sean Malone
10-11-07, 08:07 AM
********. I roll old skool.

http://i22.tinypic.com/zlyum1.jpg

Doubles as a weapon.

That picture gives me the creeps for some reason. :laugh: