PDA

View Full Version : Mansells test with Walker

Easy
10-10-07, 11:36 AM
Walker Racing Tests Mansell Brothers

Indianapolis, IN (October 9, 2007) - Walker Racing continues to ramp up its efforts for the 2008 Cooper Tires Presents the Champ Car Atlantic Championship Powered by Mazda season as they successfully commenced their second round of testing in Sebring, Florida today.

It has been all work and no play for the Indianapolis based squad, who has been making preparations for the upcoming season. Entering their third year of competition in the Champ Car Atlantic series, Walker Racing continues their efforts to find and breed young talent for the pinnacle of the sport and introduce them to the competitive racing platform of the Champ Car Atlantic program. The team made the announcement in August that they will pilot Canadian Kevin Lacroix in one of the Walker Racing entries in 2008, announced a strategic partnership with Performance Friction Brakes in September and just recently completed their first round of tests at Putnam Park Raceway.

Former Champ Car and Formula One champion, Nigel Mansell and his son’s Leo and Greg consider Champ Car’s Mazda Atlantic Series for 2008.

“I was really pleased to be able to test Nigel’s sons in our Atlantic cars. We are getting a lot more interest from Europe ever since the introduction of the new car, which offers good competition at a reasonable cost and the $2 million dollar Championship prize for a driver to move up to Champ Car. It really has been an enjoyable couple of days of testing,” commented Derrick Walker, owner Walker Racing.

The two brothers have always competed on the same teams together starting out in karts, making their way up the open wheel ladder, competing in the Formula BMW UK championship in 2006 and the British F3 International Series in 2007. The duo wanted to try the Atlantic series, due to its international appeal and potential for moving forward in the ranks of professional racing.

After a successful two day test the Mansell’s were happy with the experience they had. “What a great experience, the car had so much grip and it does exactly what you want it to, for a driver that’s fantastic. Walker Racing is by far the most professional outfit we have worked with by a mile. Every change we made we continued to move forward,” commented Leo Mansell.

Leo’s brother Greg had a similar feeling, “Today was brilliant. The Atlantic car was a handful, the ground effects and the natural progression from a Formula 3 car to the Atlantic car was amazing and for it to still be a handful was great. Walker Racing was fantastic to work with. It was definitely refreshing to work with such a professional team that works so well together. It felt like I was working with an F1 team and I had to keep reminding myself it was an Atlantic team,” stated Greg Mansell.

“It has been a lovely couple of days. It is such a joy to see a professional team work like Walker Racing and to see my boys go around in two identical cars that are very well matched is very rewarding for the team and myself. The times the boys were doing and overall experience has definitely given us an awful lot to think about,” said Nigel Mansell.

“Leo and Greg got a really good appreciation for the Mazda Atlantic car and they both did a very good job indeed. It will be great to see them in Atlantic’s next year as I think they would do very well in the series,” commented Walker.

Walker Racing will continue to formulate their 2008 line-up with another set of tests in the near future. For more updates on the team please visit www.walkerracing.com.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________________________

Translation: We swallowed in BF3 because Fortec gave us lesser equipment and is a terrible team. Over/under on how many races it takes for Kevin LaCroix to get suckerpunched by one of these sucktards?

opinionated ow
10-10-07, 12:02 PM
i am still trying to work out how Simona de Silvestro had such a horror season with walker this year. The girl has some serious talent, and yet from the results she looked like a hopeless moron.:irked:

Methanolandbrats
10-10-07, 12:12 PM
Ol Nige was exciting, so if the lads can drive like dad, welcome aboard :thumbup:

extramundane
10-10-07, 12:13 PM
Translation: We swallowed in BF3 because Fortec gave us lesser equipment and is a terrible team. Over/under on how many races it takes for Kevin LaCroix to get suckerpunched by one of these sucktards?

Dunno, but I hear Dennis Vitolo's kid is aching to land on top of one of 'em.

Apparently Whineritis is genetic...

Easy
10-10-07, 03:35 PM
Ol Nige was exciting, so if the lads can drive like dad, welcome aboard :thumbup:

They can't.

They got their asses handed to them by their teammate in F3 and one of them responded to that situation by punching the teammate in the jaw.

Methanolandbrats
10-10-07, 03:41 PM
They can't.

They got their asses handed to them by their teammate in F3 and one of them responded to that situation by punching the teammate in the jaw. That settles that. :D

pchall
10-10-07, 03:42 PM
They can't.

They got their asses handed to them by their teammate in F3 and one of them responded to that situation by punching the teammate in the jaw.

It might be good for the both of them to drive away from England and out from under the thumb of their father. Don't let them be teammates, either, farm each out to an established two car team with a returning driver.

Easy
10-11-07, 03:07 PM
Nige probably gets a discount for filling two seats in one prep shop.

England or here, sounds like they will be together and papa will be around. He was at the test. If they can't even fly over and do an Atlantic test without daddy being there... WEAK SAUCE

mapguy
10-30-07, 09:51 PM
Greg and Leo must take after their ugly mother (thanks Piquet!). They can't drive worth a poop and can't whine like a poop.

At least Greg had the balls to bop his teammate. Whereas his Dad would get out the car and fall to the ground like he was shot by a 50 cal.

ferrarigod
11-03-07, 03:32 AM
if the british media hypes the mansells as must as ol'nige, i'm going to have a seriously hard time watching youtube videos 10 years in the future.

LJH1225
11-13-07, 04:59 PM
Look who's coming to Atlantics next season:

CHAMP CAR MEDIA TELECONFERENCE ALERT

What: Walker Racing will be announcing their three-car driver lineup for the 2008 season of the Cooper Tires Presents the Champ Car Atlantic Championship Powered by Mazda

Who: Walker Racing Owner Derrick Walker; 1993 Champ Car Champion and former F1 Champion Nigel Mansell; and the two drivers who will join Kevin Lacroix to complete the 2008 Walker Racing Atlantics lineup

[Editor’s Note: Walker will be calling from the Los Angeles Auto Show, where one of the new Atlantic cars for Walker Racing will be on display. He will be available for media on-site at the show in the morning.]

When: Wednesday, November 14, 2007 – 12:00 p.m. U.S. Eastern Time

STD
11-13-07, 06:15 PM
This will be interesting.
Brit F3 was too tough.

jonovision_man
11-14-07, 11:30 AM
Good to have some star power coming to ChampCar though, who knows, maybe they'll find some pace and do well.

jono

Methanolandbrats
11-14-07, 12:09 PM
Good to have some star power coming to ChampCar though, who knows, maybe they'll find some pace and do well.

jono Ya, can't hurt, might attract some sponsors, fans and cash to Champcar. Recruiting the slow sons of wealthy motorsports stars might be an excellent growth plan.

Andrew Longman
11-14-07, 04:53 PM
Does Team Oz now have nothing to do with the Atlantics program? Different livery. No mention of them. Did I miss something?

Nice livery though

http://www.speedtv.com/_assets/library/img/large/188629_walker_racing_livery.jpg

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/champcar/41603/

NismoZ
11-14-07, 08:39 PM
Dang, that's a good looking race car. I made good on my promise...I just bought a new CX-7!:D (what kind of power would a 2.3 TURBO do for a Mazda Atlantic car?)Now, if I can just remember where I put those little ChampCar stickers.

opinionated ow
11-15-07, 06:43 AM
Does Team Oz now have nothing to do with the Atlantics program? Different livery. No mention of them. Did I miss something?

Nice livery though

http://www.speedtv.com/_assets/library/img/large/188629_walker_racing_livery.jpg

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/champcar/41603/

some serious rumours doing the rounds that the team aus development programme is dead. further rumours that it might totally be dead. and another rumour is will power might be looking at irl, or at least indy 500.

NismoZ
11-15-07, 03:50 PM
I thought Team Australia was CC and Walker was mainly behind the FA effort? Always rumors about Indy. Haas/Rahal, Bruno, etc. Despite how many here may feel a lot of CC guys would like to win the Indy 500. (so they can get into NASCAB:D )

Jervis Tetch 1
12-01-07, 12:22 AM
Cool :thumbup: