PDA

View Full Version : Another Computer Question - Backing up data

Elmo T
10-09-07, 08:31 AM
Another computer question for the masses.

This weekend I finally purchased an external hard drive to backup my iTunes music, documents, and family photos. The hard drive came with a program to backup the information. It took over 5 hours to backup my music (approx. 3000 songs). I still haven't gotten to the photos.

Is it better to use the backup/restore program or to "drag and drop" the folders over to the external hard drive? Is either one safer for storing the data? Should I only copy the data or should I be making a full copy of my hard drive - if that can even be done? Any backup programs recommended?

Sean Malone
10-09-07, 08:41 AM
The advantage of backup software is that it indexes your files for better backup management. Once an initial full back up is complete you can then schedule incremental, differential or successive backups of your files.
There are also compression options etc. Backup software gives you many options in managing your fies where as simply copying your files to another drive is just that.

Methanolandbrats
10-09-07, 09:24 AM
I'm a photographer, so I have a lot of stuff to backup. I only put programs on the C drive and have large internal drives for data. The boot drive is backed up using Acronis to make an image of it. That way if the boot drive dies, I put in another one, copy everything back and I'm running in 30 minutes. The data drives each have their own externals where I simply copy folders over. The data is also backed up on DVD.

You should make an image of the boot drive so it's easy to get back up and running if it fails. You should also copy your documents and settings and any other data folders such as itunes to the external as simple folder copies.

I don't know what backup software you have, but Acronis is the best imo.

Wabbit
10-09-07, 10:53 AM
Depends on how you are going to restore files. I find a drag and drop a lot easier if I am going to be restoring files individually. Run backup software if you want to restore the lot, as it is usually faster.

FTG
10-09-07, 01:58 PM
mozy.com

Unlimited storage for 5 bucks a month and you're safe if your house burns down.

Elmo T
10-09-07, 02:09 PM
mozy.com

It is my thread, so I guess I can hijack it...

It is Fire Prevention Week:

Make sure your smoke detectors are operating.

Be sure you know two ways out.

Practice your fire evacuation plan with your family.

And thanks for the tips. I've finally completed the backup of all data. I guess I'd feel more comfortable opening the folder and seeing the documents - rather than one back-up file.

cameraman
10-09-07, 03:46 PM
1. All pictures, movies & data are on external Raid 1 (mirrored) drives.
2. All photographs get burned to DVD the day they are shot. Card to DVD - done.
3. Mozy
4. Image of boot drive, a fully functional bootable image on a firewire drive.

I've been burned too many times - redundant, daily, on and off site back ups for everything always.

Wabbit
10-09-07, 04:11 PM
mozy.com

Just leave your backup media at a friends or relatives house - Free.

Ankf00
10-09-07, 04:18 PM
my HD went kaput :(

FTG
10-09-07, 05:35 PM
Just leave your backup media at a friends or relatives house - Free.

Mozy will back up 12 times a day. To each his own, but I'd rather spend 5 bucks a month than drive to my friend's house 360 times a month.

If you're a really cheap bastard they will still back up your most recent files, up to 2 megs, for free. But I don't own any shares. Do whatever you want.

PS: Where do you get free back up media? shoplifting?