PDA

View Full Version : kitchen knives

G.
10-07-07, 03:02 PM
I did a quick search, but no recommendations on kitchen knifey things.

I need a good set; I need to quit buying one or two and being disappointed.

Without hitting the $1000 mark, anybody have a favorite brand that will actually HOLD an edge, and maybe has a sharpener that does something other than create small hacksaw edges?

My Lansky sharpener does a great job, but it's not very good with huge knives, it's for pocket knives.

I use a steel, but I've got cheap-ass utility blades that hold an edge better.

Henkels that I've gotten don't impress me much. A few others, too.

Thanks!

cameraman
10-07-07, 03:26 PM
Henkels has several different lines, some good some not so good. I have never seen a set where I liked all of them. I have numerous brands of knives in the set, the thing is I like all of them. I go to real cooking stores and try each kind that I am looking for. I care about the feel of the handle shape, the balance, and blade shape. I also stay away from $200 knives. Paying that much to chop cilantro is just stupid...

KLang
10-07-07, 04:21 PM
I built a set of Henckels Professional S I've had quite a few years that I like a lot. Started out years ago with their Gourmet series but they were a waste of money. A few swipes on the steel before each use keeps them sharp enough. Plus I don't let them see the inside of a dishwasher.

I picked up a Chef's Choice electric sharpener earlier this year but I haven't gotten around to trying it out yet. It was rated highly by one of the cooking magazines I get.

rosawendel
10-07-07, 04:40 PM
what cameraman said.

I have a couple of sets that I got as gifts, but I really only use three knife types: a 6" chef's knife that I use for 90% of what I do, a bread knife, and some stainless steak knives. each were bought separately.

be wary of sets, especially if you can't examine them first. a good chef's knife will be heavy gaged with the blade extending through the handle, and it should have good balance.

cameraman
10-07-07, 04:42 PM
I picked up a Chef's Choice electric sharpener earlier this year but I haven't gotten around to trying it out yet.

You dropped $130+ on a sharpener and "haven't gotten around to trying it out yet?" :saywhat:

KLang
10-07-07, 05:09 PM
You dropped $130+ on a sharpener and "haven't gotten around to trying it out yet?" :saywhat:

Christmas gift from my wife. I have to suggest a few things or she starts buying me electronics. :irked:

extramundane
10-07-07, 05:40 PM
Henkels has several different lines, some good some not so good. I have never seen a set where I liked all of them.

True: I have 2 Henckel chef's knives. The $80 forged knife is a great butter knife, but the stamped one that came in a $120 6-knife set is one of the best knives I own. Go figure.

I inherited from an old roommate (who was a caterer/sous chef, when he actually bothered to seek employment) a 10-ish year old beat-to-hell Wusthof utility knife that I love. I'm 100% sold on their quality.

G.
10-07-07, 06:22 PM
Pork tenderloin in the oven with some of oddlycalm's BBQ sauce. Better run a steel across the K-Bar tonight.:laugh:

I have a Henckel 7" "butter" knife, and a couple of low-grade Calphalon's (Kitchen Essentials tm). The Calph's seem to hold an edge, sort of, but my guess is that they are just unintentionally serrated.;)

pchall
10-07-07, 07:51 PM
WMF Spitzenklasse

http://www.wmf.com/upload/images/kollektionsbilder250x250/20050214_spitzenklasse.jpg

I put together a very nice basic set in my graduate school years and haven't had to buy anything else since. Steak knives, bread knife, carver & fork, paring knife, veggie knife, and chicken scissors.

Methanolandbrats
10-07-07, 07:55 PM
Stay away from Chinese Knives. They use a rare form of stainless steel that rusts :confused:

dando
10-07-07, 09:05 PM
I built a set of Henckels Professional S I've had quite a few years that I like a lot. Started out years ago with their Gourmet series but they were a waste of money. A few swipes on the steel before each use keeps them sharp enough. Plus I don't let them see the inside of a dishwasher.

Same here. Good stuff. Pans and knives never go in the dishwasher.

-Kevin

eiregosod
10-07-07, 09:24 PM
Stay away from Chinese Knives. They use a rare form of stainless steel that rusts :confused:

maybe they forgot to add the stainless to the alloy.

TravelGal
10-07-07, 09:27 PM
Gerber Legendary Blades. Have had a set for 20 plus years. Sharpened once; some of them, the rest just carry on fine. Fantastic but, as said, NEVER ONCE in the dishwasher.

Ankf00
10-07-07, 09:49 PM
maybe they forgot to add the stainless to the alloy.

:rofl:

stroker
10-07-07, 10:25 PM
What's with the dishwasher prohibition?

cameraman
10-07-07, 10:36 PM
What's with the dishwasher prohibition?

With older knives the detergents wrecked the handles in short order. The new knives, for the most part, do not have such problems. The stainless in modern knives is also up to the task. Carbon steel knives will probably discolor. What isn't at all dishwasher-safe is the edge. Unless the knives are in a specially built rack they get banged around as the sprayer bar spins. That wrecks the edges. The custom racks I have seen hold the blades well but then you have a set of very sharp blades edge up in the rack where you can either hit them with dishes or glasses or slice yourself up while loading/unloading the machine.

Brickman
10-08-07, 12:05 AM
http://www.vikingrange.com/consumer/products/category_subcategory.jsp?id=cat30158

Mr. Vengeance
10-08-07, 08:27 AM
Victorinox. Top shelf knives, not nearly as expensive as they should be.

http://www.victorinox.ch/index.cfm?site=victorinox.ch&page=43&lang=E

Sean Malone
10-08-07, 09:40 AM
My favorite knife is a Henckles it has seen regular use in the dishwasher. I do have to sharpen it before every use however. Its amazing how quickly it will dull.

I saw an episode of Good Eats where Alton has a traveling professional knife sharpener give a quick overview on how to properly sharpen your steel. Pretty much how I had been doing it, rough stone then fine stone, then debur it with ten swipes on each side then decrease down to one. I can piece out a chicken without hacking it up.

eiregosod
10-08-07, 09:55 AM
blunt knives are useless no matter how expensive they are.

oddlycalm
10-08-07, 03:44 PM
Victorinox. Top shelf knives, not nearly as expensive as they should be. The same company also makes the Forschner knives which are a great value. They take and edge well, hold an edge well, and are designed to fit the hand well. Look in commercial kitchens and you will see a lot of them. You can spend a lot more and not get knives nearly this good. You can buy the 8 knife set with a block for under $150 if you shop around. A good place to pick up individual Forschner knives Instaware restaurant supply (http://www.instawares.com/rh-forschner.0.296.0.0.htm)

Another thing you can do is check out Marshalls, TJ Max and Tuesday Morning for marked down knife sets if you know what to look for. I've found sets of high end knives like Furi and Global there. I bought the Furi set for our daughter for less than $100 or 25% of what they retail for.

If you really cook seriously knife sets don't make sesne as each line has things they do well and things they don't. Plus, you get knives you'll never use and may be missing knives you need. Around 30yrs ago my wife paid a small fortune for a set of Henckels 4 star knives. Beautiful knives and rugged, but the blade cutting angle is too wide IMO and they don't take an edge well. I send the Henckels out for sharpening and she still stubbornly uses them. Out of that set I use the Henckels shears, tomato knife and I used the bread knife until I got an electric knife for bread and meat slicing (we do a lot of both).

I use a Forschner 8" breaking knife for briskets and pork shoulders along with a pair of Forshner 6" boning knives (stiff and flexible) and a 6" filet knife . I also use a a pair of Messermeister poultry shears and 8" Henckels take apart shears. The rest are Kershaw Shun 7" santoku, 4" straight paring knife, Chinese cleaver and an 6" utility knife. Kershaw santoku (http://www.cutleryandmore.com/details.asp?SKU=5914)

The Kershaw Shun knives are 33 layer laminated steel of different types with the cutting edge being VG-10 tool steel. By itself the VG-10 would be too brittle, but the flexible outer layers support it so you get a much harder edge than you normally could. The cutting angle is much narrower than the traditional German knives. Bottom line is they cut better, hold an edge much longer and are stiffer. Don't pay retail, look on eBay. I bought the Kershaws new for half the retail price.

Our dishwasher has a knife and flatware rack so all the above go in the dishwasher. They don't touch each other, don't get dull and all our knives have synthetic handles that don't split.
http://www.miele.com/images/mieleusa/dishwashers/features/sectioned_cutlery_tray.jpg

edit - Cutlery & More (http://www.cutleryandmore.com/) is a good outfit and it's a good place to compare everything in one spot.

Ankf00
10-08-07, 04:32 PM
$5 Dexter Russell plastic handled chef's knife from restaurant supply.

$440 on season ski pass, leaving $55 leftover for beverages.

:tony:

RichK
10-08-07, 04:35 PM
$5 Dexter Russell plastic handled chef's knife from restaurant supply.

$440 on season ski pass, leaving $55 leftover for beverages.

:tony:

:laugh: I was calculating tires in MY head.

Ankf00
10-08-07, 04:39 PM
:D That one's budgeted for next week's pay period...

nissan gtp
10-08-07, 04:41 PM
^sweet website, might cost me some money ;)

wife gave me a Shun for Father's day, very very nice. holds and edge well, but does need to be sharpened from time to time

eiregosod
10-08-07, 05:33 PM
http://www.caffenichilismo.it/imm/istituto/cheftony.jpg

devilmaster
10-08-07, 05:37 PM
http://www.caffenichilismo.it/imm/istituto/cheftony.jpg

I liked his paper bag microwave roaster better. :rofl: :p

oddlycalm
10-08-07, 08:44 PM
$5 Dexter Russell plastic handled chef's knife from restaurant supply. Great way to save a ton of money. Slide down to the restaurant supply and get what's on sale. No $200 knives down at Vern's Choke & Puke....:gomer: Dexter-Russel are decent quality stamped out blades that will last for years. If you don't care about zoot factor or the ultimate look no further.

oc

TravelGal
10-08-07, 09:56 PM
If you really cook seriously knife sets don't make sesne as each line has things they do well and things they don't. Plus, you get knives you'll never use and may be missing knives you need.

I used the bread knife until I got an electric knife for bread and meat slicing (we do a lot of both).

I'm coming to your house. ;) Seriously, given that Victorinox makes the Swiss Army knives everyone thinks of, my guess those knives are -itchen in kitchen. Also heartily agree that buying a set is waste. I have thin something-or-other that I never use. Maybe I should give it to an e-bay powerseller......

oddlycalm
10-09-07, 03:02 PM
I'm coming to your house. ;) You'e welcome at our house, but only if you like pit bbq and fresh bread. :D
oc

TravelGal
10-09-07, 03:25 PM
You'e welcome at our house, but only if you like pit bbq and fresh bread. :D
oc

If they had a slathering, slobbering, drooling smilie, I'd insert it here. Instead it's week 3 of my post-cruise diet.

Ankf00
10-09-07, 04:12 PM
Great way to save a ton of money. Slide down to the restaurant supply and get what's on sale. No $200 knives down at Vern's Choke & Puke....:gomer: Dexter-Russel are decent quality stamped out blades that will last for years.
oc

I like how Mark Bittman rolls.

RHR_Fan
10-09-07, 08:44 PM
If you really cook seriously knife sets don't make sesne as each line has things they do well and things they don't. Plus, you get knives you'll never use and may be missing knives you need.

So true. There are knives in my kit I used only a handful of times when I was going to school.

Funny story. You know how each knife has it's own name (chef, boning, serrated, etc.)? Well when my mom and I were ordering knives for school the guy at work kept calling the boning knife a "boner," which is a correct name. I had to walk away after he said it a few times or else I was going to bust up laughing.

~Nicole

devilmaster
10-09-07, 09:16 PM
The guy at work kept calling the boning knife a "boner," which is a correct name. I had to walk away after he said it a few times or else I was going to bust up laughing.

~Nicole

How old are you again? :saywhat:

;)

RHR_Fan
10-09-07, 09:20 PM
How old are you again? :saywhat:

;)

Not as old as you. :D ;)

oddlycalm
10-09-07, 09:23 PM
when my mom and I were ordering knives for school the guy at work kept calling the boning knife a "boner," which is a correct name. I had to walk away after he said it a few times or else I was going to bust up laughing. Were you at all tempted to ask him if he carried a 10" stiff boner....? Most I see are the 6" flexible boners.
boner selection (http://www.twinsupply.com/discounts/dexter-cutlery.htm)

eiregosod
12-15-07, 03:09 PM
got a nice set of chppers that nearly took me finger off for €50. not so dull blades, yet.

KLang
12-15-07, 06:29 PM
I've got one of these bad boys on my Christmas list. :cool:

http://www.chefscatalog.com/img/products/450x450/20147_450.jpg

nrc
12-16-07, 01:47 AM
An onion?

Sean O'Gorman
12-16-07, 09:19 AM
No you dope, he is talking about the cutting board.

KLang
12-16-07, 10:53 AM
An onion?

Close, a Ken Onion. :p

dando
12-25-07, 12:47 PM
I've got one of these bad boys on my Christmas list. :cool:

http://www.chefscatalog.com/img/products/450x450/20147_450.jpg

Santa brought me a set of these for Xmas. :cool: Daddy's been good this year. :)

-Kevin

KLang
12-25-07, 12:57 PM
Santa brought me a set of these for Xmas. :cool: Daddy's been good this year. :)

-Kevin

How do you like it?

I didn't get one, I'll have to buy it for myself.

oddlycalm
12-25-07, 09:17 PM
Santa brought me a set of these for Xmas. :cool: Daddy's been good this year. :) The entire Ken Onion set? Sweet. Whatever you've been doing this year you musta been doing it right...:thumbup:

Let us know what you think.

oc

Hard Driver
12-25-07, 11:44 PM
abLB7aTmnE4

Andrew Longman
12-26-07, 11:59 AM
Why am I recalling Akroyd's Julia Childs skit right now?

Remember to Save the Livah! :D

oddlycalm
12-26-07, 03:32 PM
The Wisdom of Ginsu (http://www.ginsuguys.com/index.cfm?pg=72)
Buy the knives, get the book, revel in the world of Ginsu. 20pc knife sets starting at $19.95 and words to live by as well...:gomer:

Ginsu knives were and are actually manufactured in Fremont, Ohio by by the Quikut Division of Scott Fetzer Company (Kirby vacuum cleaners, World Book encyclopedias, Campbell Hausfeld air compressors). Scott Fetzer is now owned by Warren Buffet's Berkshire Hathaway company.

Here's the Ginsu knockoff of the Kershaw/Shun knives that can be had at wallyworld for around 20% of the price of the Shun set and 10% of the Ken Onion set. Forged in Ohio out of Japanese coil stock and with a kanji character silk screened right on there....

http://www.genuineginsu.com/images/introducing_chikara_award.jpg

STD
12-26-07, 07:13 PM
I can cut paper the same way with a hand axe bought at Ace Hardware.
Put a double beveled edge on it as I hand sharpened with great care.
It has kept it's edge very well in repeated uses since.

Andrew Longman
12-27-07, 01:30 AM
[Ginsu knives were and are actually manufactured in Fremont, Ohio...

OC, you routinely amaze me.

You are a font of seemingly useless information that always fascinates me and find strangely useful. Sort of living my life without ever peeking behind that curtain to get the rest of the story.

Keep it up. Thanks. :thumbup:

G.
12-27-07, 02:23 AM
OC, you routinely amaze me.

You are a font of seemingly useless information that always fascinates me and find strangely useful. Sort of living my life without ever peeking behind that curtain to get the rest of the story.

Keep it up. Thanks. :thumbup:"Useless"? We can ALL learn from him.

Props to taildragger/oddlycalm.:thumbup:

I think that I disagreed with him once, and found him to be mistaken once, but that's about it. Everything else has been spot on.

Thanks, J.

dando
12-27-07, 02:17 PM
The entire Ken Onion set? Sweet. Whatever you've been doing this year you musta been doing it right...:thumbup:

Let us know what you think.

oc

I got the Classic Shun set with an Onion chef's knife as a bonus. Nice blades. :thumbup: :thumbup: I need to get used to the handles since I'm used to the grip of the Wustoff set I've had for the past 10 years or so. If my wife had bought me the complete Onion set, I wouldn't be posting now since I'd be in jail. ;)

-Kevin