PDA

View Full Version : Scanning Photos Questions

JohnHKart
10-04-07, 04:09 PM
Have done two major projects this year for memorial services of a relative and this weekend a friend. My Epson 1670 Scanner just takes forever for hi res and then starts to slow down as the hours drags on. Do you scan ten or so at once then chop them up? I've been doing it one at a time, 30 photos in the past couple of days must have taken over 8 hours. This computer win xp is only a year old and I can't figure out why the software would take so long to scan a 1mb high res pic, and sometimes it's only a few minutes, others its 7-9. Thank god for digital, but everything I have pre 2004 is not.

John

cameraman
10-04-07, 04:25 PM
What resolution are you using? Unless you are planning to crop and enlarge you don't need anything over 300 dpi. Are you using a USB 2.0 port?

Sean Malone
10-04-07, 04:38 PM
What resolution are you using? Unless you are planning to crop and enlarge you don't need anything over 300 dpi. Are you using a USB 2.0 port?

I agree. 300dpi is plenty for most things especially web based.

Definitely scan as many as you can fit at once.

oddlycalm
10-04-07, 08:09 PM
A lot of people report buggy software performance with various Epson scanners. I've got an Epson 1680 and I haven't had too much grief, but enough to recognize some of the problems mentioned.

oc

Dave99
10-04-07, 11:40 PM
Do you scan ten or so at once then chop them up?
My scanner's glass is only 8.5 x 11.0 so I'll play it safe and scan only two 4x6 photos or two cd inserts in one pass.

The time it takes to actually scan depends on the dpi I've set, as well as the size of the limit/marquee/parameters I've opened up around the photo(s).

I'll then use Photoshop to rotate, crop, scale, airbrush, color correct, add type and drop shadows and re-res the image(s) to make it a Picasso. :thumbup:

So yeah, it's almost like scanning ten or so at once and then chopping them up. That was your question, right?