PDA

View Full Version : Zanardi Article-- Be prepared to get angry.

cart7
05-09-03, 10:40 AM
:flame: This'll Pizz you off. (http://www.jsonline.com/sports/race/may03/139545.asp) :flame:

I E-mailed this freak. I'm almost speechless someone would even try and create controversy about this. BTW Dave K. http://smilies.crowd9.com/ups/DeNiro/up_yours.gif

RaceGrrl
05-09-03, 10:58 AM
I am a very cynical person but I understand Zanardi's need to prove to something to himself. He's been a great spokesman for CART, and CART was great for him. My cynicism doesn't prevent me from seeing a mutually beneficial arrangement in Alex driving at Lausitz.

DaveK's comments are no more valid than those expressed by members of OffCamber. Most of us just don't have a newspaper column in which to do it.

chop456
05-09-03, 11:08 AM
Dave's hot and cold. This is lame, but there seem to be just as many pro-CART articles as negative ones.

He's no lemming, at least.

pchall
05-09-03, 11:20 AM
Alex Z has something to prove to himself. Let's leave it at that.

Warlock!
05-09-03, 11:25 AM
Kind of a lame shot, yeah, but not something I haven't thought of myself. If CART wouldn't have pushed for this, do you think it woulda happened?

...and not to seem calloused, but this Dave Kallmann guy... WTF is up with that pic? Is that a birth disfigurement, an accident, boxing, or just a goof? Can't say I ever remember seeing it before, and I think I'd remember it.

Warlock!

Turn7
05-09-03, 11:42 AM
I doesn't piss me off.

Alex wants to drive, CART sets up a car and gets publicity out of it.

No biggy, nothing to be mad about or ashamed of.

rabbit
05-09-03, 02:21 PM
cart7, if that gets your goat, you must have awfully thin skin. I've known and worked with Dave Kallmann for four years now and consider him a friend. Of all the people I have worked beside at races, he is definitely near the top of the list in terms of guys I respect. He covers the sport just about the best anyone at a single-market publication could. :thumbup:

But anyone with a cynical bone in his body would have to wonder, at least the tiniest bit, whether this feel-good story isn't driven by the series' need for some positive publicity.

Let's hope that's not the real reason why Zanardi is climbing back behind the wheel.
IMO, it's a logical question. I don't think publicity is the reason Alex is behind the wheel and I don't think Dave believes so either.

Chief
05-09-03, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by rabbit
IMO, it's a logical question. I don't think publicity is the reason Alex is behind the wheel and I don't think Dave believes so either.

Then why bother writing about it?

RaceGrrl
05-09-03, 04:16 PM

FWIW, it's not a logical question. Anyone who has been covering motorsports and knows anything about Zanardi, his horrendous accident and subsequent recovery has to know that Alex is doing this for himself first.

I'll spell it out: If Kallmann knows his stuff, he'd know that one of the first things Zanardi talked about after the accident was driving again. With that in mind, Dave is either a.) ignorant or b.) being willfully obtuse for the sake of his column.

I suspect that DaveK is b.) To some of us that just looks like a cheap shot.

Oh... and what a nice way to disrespect what Alex is doing for himself. I wonder if DaveK would have the balls to ask Zanardi to his face if the only reason he's driving a ChampCar again is for some lame CART publicity stunt. :thumdown:

rabbit
05-09-03, 04:23 PM
You guys are missing my point. Dave said: "But anyone with a cynical bone in his body would have to wonder, at least the tiniest bit, whether this feel-good story isn't driven by the series' need for some positive publicity."

The way I read it was he was questioning CART's motivation, not Alex's.

RaceGrrl
05-09-03, 04:30 PM
You guys are missing my point.
The way I read it was he was questioning CART's motivation, not Alex's.

I'm not missing your point. Alex's interest in driving a ChampCar again is what drove this whole thing. I sincerely doubt that anyone at CART pushed him to get in the cockpit of a race car at the track where he lost his legs, and very nearly lost his life.

I am just as cynical as the next person, but I've been paying attention. Dave apparently has not.

Napoleon
05-09-03, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by RaceGrrl
I wonder if DaveK would have the balls to ask Zanardi to his face if the only reason he's driving a ChampCar again is for some lame CART publicity stunt. :thumdown:

This is a case of "it takes two to tango". I do not think the DaveK is focusing on why Zanardi is doing it, but why CART is participating in helping him do it.

Having said that, yeah of course CART is doing it for the PR, big freaking whoop. All businesses try to get all the good PR they possibly can, particularly if they directly deal with the public. Look at Philip Morris' ads showing them help schools, or how local banks here play up how they give employees a day off to work on community projects. While I am at it what about the IRL who let a 60+ year old guy out on the track who was older then anyone who ever drove there, had not been there for years, and was in a formula significantly different then the one he drove in when he was there.

As far as I am concerned DaveK really does not have a story unless CART is somehow endangering someone by letting Zanardi do it or somehow the way CART is handling it is part of a larger story (in my Phillip Morris example above some in the press took PM to task because the amount they spent on the programs was tiny, and the amount they spent on the ad budgets pimping to the public their public service was something like 100% they actually spent on the public service they claimed to be proud of. Combine this with the fact that the tobacco industry was getting socked with suits claiming fraud in the way they promoted their products, and you have a story).

Chief
05-09-03, 04:37 PM
But the point is moot. Look, Zanardi meant alot to the series and the people in it. It's a feel good deal that is way better than everyone ever thought it would end. Who gives a crap if CART fronts $$ for this or not, can't we all be happy it's happening? From the stories I've seen NO ONE has had a possible cynical snippet attached. It's not the Zanardi Exploitation 500, it's the German 500 and a man returning triumphant with a profile in courage. Shame on Mr. Kallman for questioning CART's motivation.

rabbit
05-09-03, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by Chief
[snip] From the stories I've seen NO ONE has had a possible cynical snippet attached. [snip] Shame on Mr. Kallman for questioning CART's motivation. I'd be more worried if no one was questioning it. That's why we have freedom of the press in this country. Asking hard questions helps keep people honest.

RaceChic
05-09-03, 04:42 PM
I am sadly disappointed sir.
I cannot believe that you would even dare to suggest that CART is using this to create publicity! This man, as you said, is doing this for emotional closure. Do not take away from him this moment by shifting the focus towards CART and what ever jeopardy it may be in according to you. Alex Zanardi is a man that believes in racing as a whole and is a beacon of encouragement towards any race car driver. Everyone knows the risks in this sport. This man has inspired me many a time when I thought life had let me down. He inspired me to realize that life is worth living and things can still be done if you persevere. He also made me realize that the gifts and blessings in life come from who loves you (his dedication to live life based on his wife and kids) and what character you possess as a person, not what spotlight you are in at the time, i.e. driving in a major racing series. He also taught me that we all need to be forgiving to each other and reach out with loving acts of kindness. He demonstrated this to the world when he appeared walking in public for the very first time on prosthetic legs in order to reassure Alex Tagliani that he should release his burdens of guilt and that he didn't blame him in any way for this loss of his legs. It happened right in front of me and I assure you sir, I'll never be the same, in a positive way, for it. And for that, I am grateful to Alex Zanardi.

Please, sir, do not take the value of this moment to an impeccable man away from him with controversial suggestions and innuendos.
Let him shine without bias. I would hate for this moment to have any form of notoriety associated with it.

Terri
Toronto, Ontario, CANADA

My letter to the author.....................I was pissed.....so sue me. :shakehead :shakehead :shakehead :shakehead

nrc
05-09-03, 04:45 PM
If Alex wanted to drive a car, how could anyone with a lick of sense or an ounce of heart say "No." That's the real question.

Dr. Corkski
05-09-03, 05:11 PM
It's a newspaper article, not a fairy tale.

Besides, he is not questioning Zanardi's motivation anyway, I think that's pretty clear for anyone who can read. He is suggesting that there is a possiblity that CART might be more concerned with the publicity, which is a valid question on a very possible scanerio given that CART will benefit from a PR standpoint, and considering that CART itself has displayed questionable motivations in the past.

Ziggy
05-09-03, 09:14 PM
Chime in I must, but not right now

Ziggy

Kate
05-09-03, 09:30 PM
Exactly the kind of snide comment (by the author) that anyone would have expected from a non-motorsport ignoramus.

I suppose he's going to write about the guy who cut off his own arm to save his life after a hiking accident, and suggest that perhaps he did it to sell newspapers.

Geez Louise.:shakehead

cart7
05-09-03, 09:32 PM
I guess when NY city builds a monument on the Twin Towers site and dedicates it, Mr. Kallman will be cynically wondering if they're doing it to promote tourism? :saywhat:

RaceChic
05-09-03, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Zhivago
It's a newspaper article, not a fairy tale.

It's not a fairy tale but I said what I said above because that is how the man affected me. I have a lot of respect for him and would hate to see this moment twisted in any way.

cartmanoz
05-10-03, 06:21 AM
I can be a cynic, but there is no double-reason behind this story about Zanardi and his drive. HE wants to drive the car. CART has stepped up and offered him a chance to drive it.

Sure, CART will probably benefit from it, but this day is about Zanardi. Nothing else.

Chief
05-10-03, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by Kate
I suppose he's going to write about the guy who cut off his own arm to save his life after a hiking accident, and suggest that perhaps he did it to sell newspapers.

Yeah, Milwaukee Journals at that.

In hindsight, today he writes a compelling piece on Arie's wreck yesterday, some feel good blah blah about man versus age with the stress and backache of driving a crapwagon...and walks away. Brought a tear to the eye...:thumdown: I believe Mr. Kallman has an agenda.

Ziggy
05-10-03, 10:11 AM
Really, and agenda? Could it be that the only job covering motorsports without fenders is going to orbit out of Indy????

Tell him to get in line, it forms at Tony George, and its lap high

Ziggy