PDA

View Full Version : Any sports doctors in the house?

WickerBill
10-02-07, 07:44 PM
Tonight at soccer practice, I made a cut and felt a "pop" and had an insane shooting pain in my right heel. I hopped around for a bit but basically hobbled back to my car and came home.

It's been a couple hours and the pain is really intense if I pull my foot back at all (toes toward the knee, stretching the achilles). Nothing obvious externally. Extremely sensitive to touch. Achilles is in place and feels solid and pain-free everywhere except the insertion point into the heel, where it feels like I'm being stabbed, or feels like what I would think a heel that's cracked in half would feel like (that isn't it; I think I could figure that out).

Any ideas? Do I just have some tendinitis and rest will help me? Do I need to go see a doc?

Methanolandbrats
10-02-07, 08:14 PM
Get a sportsmedicine appointment. You partially separated your achilles from your heel. With luck, you did'nt pull any bone off. Not as bad as a bad strain in the thin part of the tendon, but still very bad. Do not let this go, it may need to be immobilized for a month or so. You are looking at months of recovery and physical therapy. I am not a sportsmedicine doctor, but 30 years of distance running and I've seen everything. A friend did the same thing to his achilles slipping on a rocky trail........out six months.

RichK
10-02-07, 08:24 PM
WB - if you need any sports-med doc recommendations in the Indy area, let me know.

Hope it gets better quickly.

Spicoli
10-02-07, 08:56 PM
i prescribe booze.

Methanolandbrats
10-02-07, 09:44 PM
i prescribe booze. The ol' drunken cripple diagnosis :D

G.
10-02-07, 10:00 PM
Happened to a buddy at work recently. Belt-on immobilization boot. Too bad it didn't happen sooner - you'll be wearing shorts for a while. Gonna be chilly soon.

Meth is right, unless we are wrong, which would be more betterer.

Ibuprophen better than booze, but you have to wash the pills down with something, I guess.

greenie
10-02-07, 10:09 PM
i prescribe booze.

And no soccer. :D

Good luck though, that doesn't sound fun. I'd probably give it a few days to see if it resolves on it's own, but I did that w/a baseball injury and 10 years later finally got it scoped. :tony:

Sean Malone
10-02-07, 10:31 PM
Damn, hope it's not as bad as it feels WB. I woke up two weeks ago and got out of bed, took a step and my achellis was a tight as a golf ball. I had to take the day off and couldn't walk. Still don't have a clue what caused it.

indyfan31
10-03-07, 12:15 AM
WB, is the pain at the back of the heel or the front (closer to the arch)? Either way, you're going to the doc soon.

JohnHKart
10-03-07, 04:02 AM
Ice for a few minutes and then hot water in a bucket, until you can get to the doctor. My ankle's messed up right now too, and thats one of the things she has told me to do.

John

WickerBill
10-03-07, 06:20 AM
Going in to my company's health services this morning as soon as they open, to get a referral (and hopefully preferential time slot) for the right kind of doctor.

My parking garage is probably... 200 yards from my building. It took me 15 minutes to get to the building this morning. This sucks bad.

WickerBill
10-03-07, 06:22 AM
WB, is the pain at the back of the heel or the front (closer to the arch)? Either way, you're going to the doc soon.

Back of the heel, and not on the bottom of my foot at all -- quite literally dead center where the achilles attaches.

chop456
10-03-07, 07:15 AM
Looks like you found your one vulnerability. Crutches suck, but you'll get a better short term parking spot soon..

Best wishes and buenos narcoticos.

Andrew Longman
10-03-07, 08:06 AM
Gotta agree with Meth's diagnosis.

I was lucky earlier this year when tightness in my achilles gave me some warning that the attachment point was under stress. Moving certain ways would bring me to tears for a few minutes. Dic gave me stretching excersises that worked like a charm.

FTG
10-03-07, 08:40 AM
Gone for the season. The bench is gonna need to step up.

On a separate note, old white guys shouldn't make cuts, except in the beer line.

Methanolandbrats
10-03-07, 08:58 AM
Old guys doing sports should have one of these and use it everyday
http://www.footsmart.com/P-Double-Step-Stretch-10188.aspx

Double stretch does a great job of maintaining flexibility in the calf muscles. Inflexible muscles cause connective tissue strains and as you age it's critical to spend time everyday stretching major muscle groups.

Wheel-Nut
10-03-07, 09:40 AM
My parking garage is probably... 200 yards from my building. It took me 15 minutes to get to the building this morning. This sucks bad.

Have the doctor prescribe you a Segway.

Sean O'Gorman
10-03-07, 09:54 AM
Eat until you weigh 300 lbs so you can work from home.

The Doctor
10-03-07, 10:15 AM
Eat until you weigh 300 lbs so you can work from home.

And then you can get a poking stick and wear moo-moos.

Sean Malone
10-03-07, 10:32 AM
And then you can get a poking stick and wear moo-moos.

:rofl: "Mom said you weren't allowed to wear your moomoo outside Homer."

Ankf00
10-03-07, 10:58 AM
what position?

nrc
10-03-07, 11:35 AM
The egg sac the aliens implanted in you hatched. Whatever you do, don't go to sleep.

That or a ruptured achilles tendon. You and half the Bengal's linebackers. :L

WickerBill
10-03-07, 11:47 AM
what position?

Left mid, five a side

Ankf00
10-03-07, 11:49 AM
5? indoor?

WickerBill
10-03-07, 11:57 AM
Out, U10 field, keeper plus four outfield. My side plays one defender one striker with the wingers box to box. No balls above head height, no direct kicks.

RichK
10-03-07, 12:09 PM
No balls above head height,

That requires a special doctor as well.

Ankf00
10-03-07, 12:34 PM
cool. my outdoor co-ed has gone from 1st last spring to 1-7 so far this fall :\

G.
10-03-07, 05:06 PM
So what did Dr. Rusty Saw say?

WickerBill
10-03-07, 06:47 PM
Partial tear of the achilles or potentially a bone spur that is tearing at the fibers of the achilles. Gotta go to a podiatric surgeon and get xrays/MRI/ultrasound (?) to find out what's what. Dreading that.

Took the shoe off at the appointment and I have this HUUUGE bony/hard mass on the back of my heel, looks like I have half a racquetball under my skin behind my heel. Don't remember that from this morning, and getting my shoe back on was next to impossible. Dr. Quack-a-lot said it's a fast-growing calcium deposit and my body is reacting to inflammation.

It's inflamed all right.

Ankf00
10-03-07, 06:56 PM
that blows, sorry dude :\

Methanolandbrats
10-03-07, 08:23 PM
Partial tear of the achilles or potentially a bone spur that is tearing at the fibers of the achilles. Gotta go to a podiatric surgeon and get xrays/MRI/ultrasound (?) to find out what's what. Dreading that.

Took the shoe off at the appointment and I have this HUUUGE bony/hard mass on the back of my heel, looks like I have half a racquetball under my skin behind my heel. Don't remember that from this morning, and getting my shoe back on was next to impossible. Dr. Quack-a-lot said it's a fast-growing calcium deposit and my body is reacting to inflammation.

It's inflamed all right. You did the right thing by going in right away. It's one of the worst injuries you can get because no matter how you move,that area is stressed. Hopefully there is no bone separation. If not, they will imobilize it in a boot for probably two months. After that you will have multiple sessions of PT to restore your muscle balance. It's going to be a long road back. Sorry to be all doom and gloom, but I've seen it before. When you mentioned the "pop" in your original post, I cringed.

G.
10-03-07, 11:56 PM
Sorry, WB. Real sorry.

In the spectrum of the injury, I hope yours is way over towards the "walk it off" side.

tllips
10-04-07, 11:25 AM
Sorry for your plight WB.

My father completely blew his Achilles while playing raquetball about 9 or 10 years ago and it took almost a full year to recover. The plus side is that the Achilles healed to more than 100% its original flexibility/durability.

When we were playing raquetball, he was standing in front and to my left a little as we were playing cut throat. My brother serves and Dad tries to take a step to return the serve.

He misses, turns to me and say "What did you do that for!?"

I said "Do what?"

"Kick me in the heel!"

"I haven't moved, when did I kick you?"

"Right after the serve."

Uh Oh

"Dad, can you walk?"

"Yeah" Not really, he just limps a step or to. :saywhat:

"Let me see your heel."

I compare his right Achilles to his left, and the right is simply not there. It completely snapped and he had no pain, just the sensation of being kicked in the heel. :eek:

G.
10-05-07, 11:16 AM
Sorry for your plight WB.

My father completely blew his Achilles while playing raquetball about 9 or 10 years ago and it took almost a full year to recover. The plus side is that the Achilles healed to more than 100% its original flexibility/durability.

When we were playing raquetball, he was standing in front and to my left a little as we were playing cut throat. My brother serves and Dad tries to take a step to return the serve.

He misses, turns to me and say "What did you do that for!?"

I said "Do what?"

"Kick me in the heel!"

"I haven't moved, when did I kick you?"

"Right after the serve."

Uh Oh

"Dad, can you walk?"

"Yeah" Not really, he just limps a step or to. :saywhat:

"Let me see your heel."

I compare his right Achilles to his left, and the right is simply not there. It completely snapped and he had no pain, just the sensation of being kicked in the heel. :eek:
I'm sorry, but that's kinda funny.:D
Glad he's ok, now. You owe him a kick in the heel.

dando
10-05-07, 12:22 PM

It's inflamed all right.

Sandals are your friend. Sorry to hear about the gimp. More foosball watching for you. :thumbup:

-Kevin

Sean Malone
10-05-07, 01:24 PM
This "soccer" accident wasn't actually a Wii accident was it? :D Maybe while playing FIFA '07? ;)

WickerBill
10-05-07, 01:47 PM
Nope, waiting for Fifa 08... thanks for asking. Wow, that would be an interesting story to tell the doctors though.

Gonna have to buy some baggy jeans or somethin for work... sucks.