PDA

View Full Version : Who wants 1.2 Mil. $ ?

NismoZ
10-02-07, 02:39 PM
KK says no more subsidy. FTG says , "here, take 1.2 million $." Who in CC will be the first to bite? What will the reply be? I'm certain I have little real understanding of what is going on but if even a few CC teams decide to join the feast (full season, no Indy 1-offs qualify) don't we have a sort of defacto "merger?" Would the CC owners pony up 10mil. or so to keep people at home? I know it's just a field-filler tactic on The League's part but they HAVE to be counting on new field fillers not just the old garbage.(?) I think it is as much a raid as it is to help the "little guys."

Sean Malone
10-02-07, 02:51 PM
Good points to ponder. Is it the end of the "publicly known" subsidies by KK or are there handout under the table. KK has been very quite lately. To some,,, that means great things cometh. Myself it shows a sign of apathy perhaps. Perhaps not. Maybe it's more like than heads down fortitude. they better be sure that the few sponsors that are on now want European/Asian exposure or they'll be in the same boat as CART '98. If the sponsors are an integral part of financing the series than they need to be an integral part in deciding its business model or at least brought into the loop, not surprised by press releases.
To me though, a merger would mean that some aspect of Champ Car would be brought into the IRL i.e. motors, chassis, race control etc Not just teams abandoning ship.

Insomniac
10-02-07, 02:59 PM
If the Yen couldn't get the rest of the guys in CC, this isn't going to get them either. All the traitors/Yen-whores/money-chasers are gone. I don't think it changes anything.

jonovision_man
10-02-07, 03:27 PM
KK says no more subsidy.

KK said there will be a race in Ansan.

KK says a lot of things.

jono

GLenz
10-02-07, 05:43 PM
One point two mil will cover your Honda bill. A little change left over.

NismoZ
10-02-07, 07:49 PM
We all know that but why turn it down and then just spend that much or more anyway?

cart7
10-02-07, 08:29 PM
Let's see..

I'm a team owner in CCWS trying to keep my team going. I'm desperately trying to get sponsorship. Here's what I have to sell to sponsors between the two and what I'll base my own decision on ultimately.

The IRL:

Solid, paying TV contract. The ratings aren't great but they beat the s**t out of CCWS.
The Indy 500
A solid 16 race schedule, no cancellations here.
Real sponsorship already present among other teams with real paying corporate sponsors people have heard of.
Solid engine manufacturer behind the series until 2009.
The series that has Danica in it.
$1.2 million up front.

Now CCWS:

The biggest name driver in the series is leaving next season with no one to take his place.
Pay as you go TV contract. The ratings are pathetic.
Venues that come and go. Some cancelled right in the middle of the race season.
Absolutely no continuity with the driver lineup and no drivers anyones ever heard of.
Attendance figures that don't add up.
The owner of the series has a pending lawsuit hanging over his head.
The owner cut off my hand out the same year he asks me to buy his new chassis.

Stop, I've seen enough. I'll go earling. :tony:

jonovision_man
10-02-07, 08:40 PM
Screw that, I'm going to NASCAR. :gomer:

Sean Malone
10-02-07, 10:45 PM
Let's see..

I'm a team owner in CCWS trying to keep my team going. I'm desperately trying to get sponsorship. Here's what I have to sell to sponsors between the two and what I'll base my own decision on ultimately.

The IRL:

Solid, paying TV contract. The ratings aren't great but they beat the s**t out of CCWS.
The Indy 500
A solid 16 race schedule, no cancellations here.
Real sponsorship already present among other teams with real paying corporate sponsors people have heard of.
Solid engine manufacturer behind the series until 2009.
The series that has Danica in it.
$1.2 million up front.

Now CCWS:

The biggest name driver in the series is leaving next season with no one to take his place.
Pay as you go TV contract. The ratings are pathetic.
Venues that come and go. Some cancelled right in the middle of the race season.
Absolutely no continuity with the driver lineup and no drivers anyones ever heard of.
Attendance figures that don't add up.
The owner of the series has a pending lawsuit hanging over his head.
The owner cut off my hand out the same year he asks me to buy his new chassis.

Stop, I've seen enough. I'll go earling. :tony:

There is a group of internet message board "enthusiasts" that are willing to give their first born, mortgage their houses, pillage, rape, hug and other unmentionable things in the name of a prolonging the agony, I mean fighting the good fight. In PG we Trust. And to think sponsors don't flock to that branding!

Indy
10-02-07, 11:24 PM
I think this version of Tonyfare is actually one of the smartest things he has done. People are making fun of it, but it practically cements in any teams who were feeling threatened by a loss of Hondabucks, and it adds a pretty powerful incentive to an already lopsided situation (ICS/CCWS).

He is playing a rope-a-dope and I think this time he has the right form and the right timing. :yuck:

Indy
10-02-07, 11:27 PM
BTW, of course there are subsidies in CCWS. There is simply no way there would be a series otherwise, and if you look at the decisions made by the teams, you can see the hidden hand of KK's and GF's $$$. Although, they certainly have cut "unnecessary" costs. :rolleyes:

G.
10-03-07, 12:37 AM
I've always thought that if FTG did one, just ONE smart thing right now, CC might fall.

This might be it.

cart7
10-03-07, 06:30 AM
I believe this $$ announcement was VERY calculated. Right at a time when teams are supposed to be making and finalizing their financial plans for next season.
IIRC, there were several teams that made statements during the last merger rumors that their existing sponsors and potential sponsors were wanting Indy on their schedule. Seems this would do it.

emjaya
10-03-07, 08:26 AM
Who in CC will be the first to bite?

Craig Gore, like a mako shark. ;)