PDA

View Full Version : Fall Classic. . . .

IlliniRacer
10-02-07, 10:26 AM
Predictions?

Having a son named Addison, mine are "slightly" biased ;)

AL -

Angels over the Red Sox 3-0
Indians over the Yankees 3-2
(At this time ESPN will petition Bud Selig to cease the rest of the playoffs)

Indians over the Angels 4-3

NL -

Cubs over the D'backs 3-1
Phillies over the Rockies 3-0

Cubs over the Phillies 4-3

WS -

Game Seven - Bottom of the 13th, game tied. The world stops spinning, Tim McCarver goes into elaborate details as to why the earth needs to spin, life as we know it ceases to exists. :)

Sean Malone
10-02-07, 10:29 AM
The Yankees and Red Sox getting stomped will make me very happy.

WickerBill
10-02-07, 10:44 AM
Red Sox 3-1 Angels
Indians 3-1 Yankees

Red Sox 4-3 Indians

Cubs 3-2 Diamondbacks
Rockies 3-1 Phillies

Rockies 4-1 Cubs

Red Sox 4-2 Rockies

Andrew Longman
10-02-07, 10:57 AM
Tribe over the Yanks? Given how the Yanks have owned them this season that seems unlikely.

But as a fan I'll give you a reason. Wang should be starting game 3 at home where he has been dominant. Clemens is likely to implode in the all important game 3 (the most critical of any 5 game series). He's been hurt and hasn't pitched in weeks. Then Mussina is pitching game 4 and he's done IMO. But that's Torre's way to go with the veterans instead of the young pitchers that got them to the playoffs in the first place.

WickerBill
10-02-07, 10:59 AM
Tribe over the Yanks? Given how the Yanks have owned them this season that seems unlikely.

The Yanks didn't face one Carsten Charles Sabathia all season. Not so lucky in the post season.

Andrew Longman
10-02-07, 11:22 AM
The Yanks didn't face one Carsten Charles Sabathia all season. Not so lucky in the post season.

New York swept the regular season series, 6-0, while outscoring Cleveland, 49-17.

Sabathia (19-7, 3.21 ERA) is 1-7 lifetime against the Yanks and hasn't faced them in three years. He'll face Wong (19-7, 3.70 ERA). Doesn't look like a sure thing. :b

Insomniac
10-02-07, 11:35 AM
Engadget HD seems to think the MLB playoffs in HD on TBS are not the reason their HD station was picked up so fast by everyone but DISH. Not very bright.

I don't care how it goes as long as it's Red Sox, Red Sox and Red Sox. :D

Unfortunately, I feel like they sweep LA and lose to the Yankees in the ALCS. They're all falling apart. Not sure if clutch is in their vocabulary. Although, I can hope A-Rod continues to be Mr. April and not turn into Mr. October. :)

dando
10-02-07, 12:34 PM
The NL is a crapshoot. I wouldn't put $$$ on any of them. The AL should be fun to watch I expect each series to go the length...except the Tribe vs. Yankees. :p :gomer:

-Kevin

Sean O'Gorman
10-02-07, 12:39 PM
I have my tickets for this weekend ready, this is going to be fun. :cool:

If the Red Sox and the Yankees both move on, I'm only going to watch the NLCS and call it a year.

Andrew Longman
10-02-07, 12:40 PM
Sox have been sleepwalking for a month and their pitching is tired.

But Manny is back in the lineup and that completely changes their offense

I actually see the Angels taking them in as little as four.

I pay absolutely no attention to the NL other to notice that the Mets collapsed and the Phillies have spunk but no pitching as usual.

Anything rationale for any NL team being a favorite?

G.
10-02-07, 01:28 PM
I'll start:
CUBBIES!!!

Ah, wait til next year!

Ankf00
10-02-07, 01:58 PM
that tiebreaker last night was tits

SteveH
10-02-07, 06:26 PM
Cubs over the D'backs 3-1

I so hope you're right as I have tickets for game four. :D

Don Quixote
10-04-07, 09:40 AM
that tiebreaker last night was tits
I saw in the paper that the game pulled a 20 something TV rating on TBS in the Denver metro area. :eek:
Rockies are flying under the radar, which is good. By the time that the east coast media discovers them, it will be too late. [/living in a sod house]

Ankf00
10-04-07, 11:14 AM
mfr's made us put out the grill in the parking lot. nevermind we've done that all season long. bastards. :irked:

Gangrel
10-04-07, 11:29 AM
I so hope you're right as I have tickets for game four. :D

Have you Cubbie fans figured out yet who will get the blame this year? The goat is old news, Bosox already used a black cat, but hey...Bartman's still alive... :gomer: The Sun Times already managed to find one astrologer to say that it is the stars' fault....

Funny how it is always someone's or something's fault, but never the Cubbies. Just the north-side way, I guess.... :gomer:

TKGAngel
10-04-07, 12:25 PM
I saw in the paper that the game pulled a 20 something TV rating on TBS in the Denver metro area. :eek:

A 20 rating on a cable channel is pretty darn impressive.

I read on ESPN this morning that the Avs moved their starting time on Sunday, to allow fans to potentially attend/watch the Broncos/Avs/Rockies games with minimal to no conflict. That's going to be an awesome day to be a sports fan in Denver.

Ankf00
10-04-07, 12:41 PM
boo avs, broncs meh, go rocks.

Insomniac
10-04-07, 01:01 PM
Less than 3 hour game (Red Sox-Angels). I hope the Yankees lose so we're not all subjected to 7 4+ hour games. I think even Red Sox and Yankee fans are sick of them playing each other at this point.

Don Quixote
10-04-07, 01:34 PM
A 20 rating on a cable channel is pretty darn impressive.

[/east coast media] Its not so impressive when you realize that there are only a couple of hundred televisions in the state. Heck, electricity is relatively new in Colorado. Those pesky Rockies are inconveniencing most of the country right now. I sure hope the elite east coast media doesn't have to travel to Colorado via coverered wagon. :gomer:

IlliniRacer
10-04-07, 04:45 PM
Rockies = Class x 1 billion:

Manager Clint Hurdle revealed Thursday that the team last week voted a full playoff share to Amanda Coolbaugh, whose husband, Mike Coolbaugh, was killed when hit by a foul ball while coaching first base for the Rockies' Double-A Tulsa squad on July 22.

Coolbaugh family voted playoff share (http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20071004&content_id=2249499&vkey=ps2007news&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb)

Sean O'Gorman
10-04-07, 11:42 PM
One down, ten to go...

SteveH
10-05-07, 12:41 AM
Have you Cubbie fans figured out yet who will get the blame this year?

Quick guess right now would be the players. No pitching or hitting pretty much loses games.

TKGAngel
10-05-07, 08:42 AM
One down, ten to go...

I know it doesn't matter to the final score, but did they ever find a replay that clearly showed Damon's HR as fair? The replays they showed lost track of the ball in the glare of the sun, IMO.

Sean O'Gorman
10-05-07, 09:18 AM
They didn't to. When in doubt, give the call in favor of the team that the media prefers. :rolleyes:

It was great, every foul ball was greeted with the crowd shouting "home run! home run!" with their hands pointed towards foul territory.

Ankf00
10-05-07, 11:24 AM
They didn't to. When in doubt, give the call in favor of the team that the media prefers. :rolleyes: Want some Summer's Eve with that? Sounds like you have some irritation to treat.

dando
10-05-07, 12:14 PM
I know it doesn't matter to the final score, but did they ever find a replay that clearly showed Damon's HR as fair? The replays they showed lost track of the ball in the glare of the sun, IMO.

Clear as day in the replay I saw. Wasn't even close. In fact, the ball landed near the aisle closer to centerfield. It was pretty clear just based on the reaction of the fans in that area.

-Kevin

dando
10-05-07, 12:15 PM
Want some Summer's Eve with that? Sounds like you have some irritation to treat.

Prep H might help, too. :gomer:

-Kevin

TKGAngel
10-05-07, 01:49 PM
Want some Summer's Eve with that? Sounds like you have some irritation to treat.

I was going to pass some cheese to go with his whine, but your solution would work as well. ;)

Clear as day in the replay I saw. Wasn't even close. In fact, the ball landed near the aisle closer to centerfield. It was pretty clear just based on the reaction of the fans in that area.

Okey-dokey. Like I said, the replays I saw lost the ball in the glare of the sun.

Gangrel
10-05-07, 10:57 PM
Quick guess right now would be the players. No pitching or hitting pretty much loses games.

You mustn't have been indoctrinated into Chicago sports. On the north side, nothing is ever the team's fault, the manager's fault, or the players' fault. 1945, it was a goat. 1969, a black cat. 2003, Bartman. It's always gotta' be a curse. Curse = excuse. They haven't tried personal accountability yet, and I don't expect they will in the forseable future...

SteveH
10-06-07, 01:03 AM
You mustn't have been indoctrinated into Chicago sports. On the north side, nothing is ever the team's fault, the manager's fault, or the players' fault. 1945, it was a goat. 1969, a black cat. 2003, Bartman. It's always gotta' be a curse. Curse = excuse. They haven't tried personal accountability yet, and I don't expect they will in the forseable future...

Curse? :rofl:

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f356/unknownhuman/wrigley_001.jpg

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f356/unknownhuman/wrigley_003.jpg

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f356/unknownhuman/wrigley_002.jpg

Ankf00
10-06-07, 03:47 AM

You must've been indoctrinated into Chicago sports. On the south side, it's never the team's or players' fault, it's always a world wide evil conspiracy plotting to award player of the game awards to the opposing team b/c Chicago's a small market oft ignored city that god has sided against.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/spl/hi/americas/04/us_election/campaign_blunders/img/8.jpg

Gangrel
10-06-07, 06:05 AM
You must've been indoctrinated into Chicago sports. On the south side, it's never the team's or players' fault, it's always a world wide evil conspiracy plotting to award player of the game awards to the opposing team b/c Chicago's a small market oft ignored city that god has sided against.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/spl/hi/americas/04/us_election/campaign_blunders/img/8.jpg

Who was world champ that year again? Hmmmmmm.....

Cubs....it's never our fault! :gomer:

Napoleon
10-06-07, 09:16 AM
Well I went to yesterday's Indians/Yankees game (even saw Sean O there) and that was one of the most fun games I have been too. The scoreboard operator was thinking on his feet and when the nats settled in (they were EVERYWHERE) - the scoreboard said "Bug off Yankees",

Cleveland's PR people said they talked to the Cleveland cop posted close to the pole and he said it was a HR.

Wang should be starting game 3 at home where he has been dominant.

Tom Hamilton, Cleveland's radio announcer, says they are thinking of starting him game 4 if they manage to win game 3.

Sean O'Gorman
10-06-07, 10:15 AM
http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/1593/arodpurseaf9.jpg

MRS. OCTOBER

:rofl: :rofl:

Insomniac
10-06-07, 10:28 AM
I didn't tune in to the game until extra innings, but those bugs were crazy. I later read they showed up near the end of the game. Really weird. Were they everywhere?

Napoleon
10-06-07, 10:43 AM
I didn't tune in to the game until extra innings, but those bugs were crazy. I later read they showed up near the end of the game. Really weird. Were they everywhere?

They seemed to turn up all at once. It happens near the lake where you will get these massive Midge clouds all at one time but ussually early in or the middle of the summer. It must have been the heat that brought them out. It must have triggered a cycle of them that otherwise would not have happened until sometime next year.

I was in the top row and I could look up at the lights on the edge of the roof and you could see them everywhere even above me. Litterally there must have been millions of them in the stadium.

Ankf00
10-07-07, 09:17 PM
MRS. OCTOBER

:rofl: :rofl:

Hi.

dando
10-07-07, 10:16 PM
Game 5 will be in Cleveland. Just gotta hunch on that. All bets are off on which team wins, tho.

-Kevin

Don Quixote
10-07-07, 10:37 PM
Game 5 will be in Cleveland. Just gotta hunch on that. All bets are off on which team wins, tho. After 40+ years of sports misery in Cleveland, nothing would surprise me.

Andrew Longman
10-08-07, 12:59 AM
Game 5 will be in Cleveland. Just gotta hunch on that. All bets are off on which team wins, tho.

-Kevin

Until Damen broke it open I was pretty convinced the Yankee hitters were going to sleepwalk into the off season.

Thankfully Clemens is done and the rotation is back were it should have been.

Pettite should have started Game 1, Hughes 2 and Wong 3 back at the stadium. If they had done that, bugs aside, the series could well have ended tonight.

Sean O'Gorman
10-08-07, 11:43 PM
Hi.

Yes?

WickerBill
10-09-07, 07:36 AM
It's a sad state for me, a Red Sox fan because my 14-years-older-than-me brother loved them, that I'm twice as excited the Yankees lost than I am the Red Sox won.

My palette is cleansed, bring on the ALCS and let me properly root for my team now.

Insomniac
10-09-07, 08:29 AM
Have to hand it to Cleveland. Stuck with their rotation and finished the series. As a Red Sox fan, I was hoping they would win in 5 while having to use Sabathia. But, they get to rest up and go into it with their pitchers nearly as rested as Boston's. I look forward to non-4+ hour games. :thumbup:

Ankf00
10-09-07, 11:00 AM
Yes?

I'd like some more iced tea please, and could you bring me the desert menu?

Don Quixote
10-11-07, 11:05 PM
Stay classy Arizona. Losers. :p :rofl:

greenie
10-11-07, 11:40 PM
Stay classy Arizona. Losers. :p :rofl:

I'm sorta pulling for Colorado, but AZ got rooked by a BS call - there's no way that double play's even attempted (much less completed). :shakehead

Don Quixote
10-12-07, 09:53 AM
I'm sorta pulling for Colorado, but AZ got rooked by a BS call - there's no way that double play's even attempted (much less completed). :shakehead
So far, you are the first person that has said the call was bad. Peter Gammons, Mike and Mike, and every other national sportscasters that I have heard have agreed with the call. He hit the base, then sprung off of it towards the Rockies player swinging his arm to break up the play.

Ankf00
10-12-07, 12:05 PM
rock beats scissor, and snake, every time.

Sean O'Gorman
10-12-07, 02:28 PM
ESPN's ALCS preview:

http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/videopage?videoId=3059122&categoryId=2521705

Does anyone know who the Red Sox are playing? The 2004 Sox? The Yankees? Did the other team forfeit?

Ankf00
10-12-07, 03:03 PM
aren't 97% of ESPN.com's writers from Boston?

Sean O'Gorman
10-12-07, 04:07 PM
I'm starting to think that 97% of ESPN's viewers must be too.

Andrew Longman
10-12-07, 05:28 PM
SO, sorry to break it to you but the world doesn't orbit around Cleveland.

I do think this is going to be a fantastic series and the Tribe is going to surprise a lot of people. There... I just jinxed you. :D

Sean O'Gorman
10-12-07, 06:07 PM
I wouldn't want it to revolve around Cleveland. If it did, I'd go follow the Marlins or something. I think I looked forward to the Indians facing the Yankees more than the Red Sox, and the Indians facing the Red Sox more than whatever team wins in the NL (if the Indians were to move on).

Really, I just like having something to bitch about. :D

TKGAngel
10-12-07, 06:35 PM
I wouldn't want it to revolve around Cleveland. If it did, I'd go follow the Marlins or something. I think I looked forward to the Indians facing the Yankees more than the Red Sox, and the Indians facing the Red Sox more than whatever team wins in the NL (if the Indians were to move on).

Really, I just like having something to bitch about. :D

O'Gorman likes to bitch. Who knew? ;)

Its always fun to be a fan of the team that the media ignores. Trust me. :)

Don Quixote
10-12-07, 11:26 PM
I think the tribe should have let Sabathia pitch for a few more innings so he could give up 8 or 9 more walks.

Stu
10-13-07, 07:57 AM
I think the tribe should have let Sabathia pitch for a few more innings so he could give up 8 or 9 more walks.

its a good thing Wedge had Byrd pitch game 4 of the ALDS, CC has been terrible.

dando
10-13-07, 06:05 PM
Must win tonight for the Tribe, or this series will be a sweep.

-Kevin

Insomniac
10-13-07, 08:21 PM
Must win tonight for the Tribe, or this series will be a sweep.

-Kevin

I don't know about that. Dice-K (gives up a lot of hits) and Wakefield (just came back after missing the ALDS with a shoulder injury). The Boston bats could go cold.

Stu
10-14-07, 08:27 AM
props to fox last night. buck and mccarver were very fair, and gave a lot of props to the Indians (although they said a lot of inaccurate stuff too).

Sean O'Gorman
10-14-07, 07:09 PM
Meanwhile when I flipped on ESPN after the game, they went straight to Francona's postgame press conference, then when Wedge came up, they switched to Schilling, and then after that they went to college football. I swear they are just doing it to piss me off now. :irked:

Don Quixote
10-14-07, 07:14 PM
The baseball national media doesn't care about all of us hicks living west of the appalacian mountains.

Sean O'Gorman
10-14-07, 07:35 PM
I fear that if the Indians win the ALCS they won't televise an Indians/Rockies World Series. :(

Don Quixote
10-14-07, 08:30 PM
Yeah, but at least we could listen to it on the radio.

dando
10-14-07, 08:35 PM
Yeah, but at least we could listen to it on the radio.

Not if you live in NW Cbus. The local Tribe affiliate can only be heard by 50% of Cbus/Franklin County @ night. :irked: Same station that does The OSU and CBJs games, but they have an affiliated FM station for those games, but not the Tribe. Nor do they broadcast weekday day games since the E$PN feed and local shows do better than the Tribe. :shakehead

</RANT>

-Kevin

Insomniac
10-18-07, 09:09 AM
Wow, all the Cleveland fans on here are real excited. Up 3-1. Are you actually worried that somehow Beckett, Schilling and Dice-K can win the last 3? There can't be anything from the last 3 games that worries you guys.

Andrew Longman
10-18-07, 09:48 AM
The baseball national media doesn't care about all of us hicks living west of the appalacian mountains.

That might change if your games didn't end at 2:45 am EST. :shakehead

TKGAngel
10-18-07, 09:51 AM
That might change if your games didn't end at 2:45 am EST. :shakehead

The same could be said for the Indians/Sox game this past Saturday. I should not be able to watch two hockey games (Sabres/Caps and Oilers/Canucks) in the time it takes to play one baseball game!

I know baseball's a timeless game, but when each at-bat takes 10 minutes or more to complete, something needs to be fixed.

Andrew Longman
10-18-07, 09:57 AM
I fear that if the Indians win the ALCS they won't televise an Indians/Rockies World Series. :(

Might as well not. Folks will forget it is on. If the Tribe wins tonight the series won't start for six days? Rockies won't have played in nine days! Combined with 10:18 starts, that's ridiculous. They taking scheduling lessons from the NBA?

MLB is getting what they deserve this postseason and its a shame because the regular season was really good.

FWIW a Rockies/Tribe series will likely be very good (Rockies gotta lose sometime) even if no one will watch it.

Sean O'Gorman
10-18-07, 12:07 PM
Looking forward to tonight's game, not so much to going to work tomorrow. Yesterday was a drag, and that takes into consideration that it was a relatively quick game.

If the Indians don't take care of business tonight, I see this series going seven.

Ankf00
10-18-07, 12:13 PM
Might as well not. Folks will forget it is on. If the Tribe wins tonight the series won't start for six days? Rockies won't have played in nine days! Combined with 10:18 starts, that's ridiculous. They taking scheduling lessons from the NBA?

you sure they're going to be 8pm MDT starts? all I've been to have been 7 thus far

Insomniac
10-18-07, 01:07 PM

There is no way FOX's coverage starts later than 8 ET for the WS.

Andrew Longman
10-18-07, 01:39 PM
you sure they're going to be 8pm MDT starts? all I've been to have been 7 thus far

I was referring to the late start for the first two rounds. Networks claim they didn't want to do those game in drive-time PDT because it would hurt ratings there. Well, BS because they'll do 8 pm EDT starts for the WS.

Real issue was they didn't want to share revenue with the local affiliates who own the earlier timeslots.

Of course even an 8 pm start really mean an 8:18 first pitch by the time Fox gets through the hype, celebrity interviews and show promotion. :shakehead

Ankf00
10-18-07, 01:49 PM
I was referring to the late start for the first two rounds. can't speak to the NLCS since I wasn't there, but the NLDS game was 7pm

Andrew Longman
10-18-07, 03:11 PM
Those left coast games were starting after 10 here. Didn't even consider watching them and my commute most mornings is about 40 feet.

Don Quixote
10-18-07, 10:58 PM
Those left coast games were starting after 10 here. Didn't even consider watching them and my commute most mornings is about 40 feet.Sissy. :p :D

Insomniac
10-19-07, 07:54 AM
I'm not sure what the rule is there, but Buck/McCarver are complete idiots. The ball hit the top of the wall. There is no way it could hit the side of the wall and bounce upwards. Even the replays showed it hitting the yellow stripe painted on top of the wall.

chop456
10-22-07, 01:23 AM
Way to go, Indians. I knew you could do it. :thumbup:

Don Quixote
10-22-07, 10:57 AM
Apparently the City of Cleveland just hasn't suffered enough.

Andrew Longman
10-22-07, 11:42 AM

When they won game 4 I didn't see how they could lose.

Somehow I think the Rockies ride ends here and Sox win another Series. :(

IlliniRacer
10-22-07, 05:09 PM
From Deadspin.com (quite possibly the awesomest sports site on the internets)

Kenny Lofton's teams have blown postseason leads a whopping seven times in 12 years.

• 1995: Lost to Atlanta in six games, final out of series.
• 1996: Lost to Baltimore in ALDS despite being heavily favored and at home.
• 1997: Lost to Florida in NLCS despite being favored and with home
field advantage.
• 1998: Blew 2-1 lead to New York in ALCS.
• 1999: Blew 2-0 lead to Boston in ALDS, Pedro's epic Game 5.
• 2001: Blew 2-1 lead and a lead late in Game 5 to Seattle in ALDS.
• 2002: Blew 3-2 lead, Game 6 lead in World Series to Angels. Final out
of series.
• 2003: Bartman.
• 2004: Blew 3-0 lead to Boston in ALCS.
• 2006: Swept by Mets.
• 2007: Blew 3-1 lead to Boston in ALCS.

TrueBrit
10-22-07, 05:25 PM
I'm not sure what the rule is there, but Buck/McCarver are complete idiots. The ball hit the top of the wall. There is no way it could hit the side of the wall and bounce upwards. Even the replays showed it hitting the yellow stripe painted on top of the wall.

Agreed....it was one of the worst non-calls I've seen...and to have Joe Suck and McDoofus say that they couldn't be sure after 83,000 different replays was just too much...

Mucking Forons....:shakehead

Still...it didn't matter in the end...

Napoleon
10-22-07, 08:45 PM

No we have not.

Insomniac
10-22-07, 10:33 PM
Agreed....it was one of the worst non-calls I've seen...and to have Joe Suck and McDoofus say that they couldn't be sure after 83,000 different replays was just too much...

Mucking Forons....:shakehead

Still...it didn't matter in the end...

And up to 7 more games of these dopes. I liked the TBS guys. They were talking about baseball and the game. Explaining nuances and stuff.

Sean O'Gorman
10-22-07, 11:07 PM
Yes, I miss Tony Gwynn's insightful comments such as:

That did a lot of damage, especially since it stayed in the yard.

What you get is a real contrast of styles. The Yankees take a lot of pitches and run the pitch count up. On the other hand, the Indians have been doing the exact same thing.

Wait, what? :yuck: He sounds like he should be doing NASCAR.

Andrew Longman
10-22-07, 11:15 PM
No we have not.

Want more sub prime misery? :)

Andrew Longman
10-25-07, 01:56 PM
Chris Russo (NYC Mike and the Mad Dog sports talker) took his 8 year old son to Fenway last night. Today he's going on about the nightmare it was.

I had no idea how messed they've let that place become. It a beautiful historic setting, and I've know for years how antiquated it is bathroom, media facilities and such.

But they now sell thousands of standing room ticket and it is almost impossible to move around the ballpark. If you need to go under the stands to use the bathroom or grab a drink it will literally take you three or more innings to do it. It is literally packed wall to wall in that narrow space.

And it wasn't just because it was a World Series game because remember they sell out every game.

This sounds like a health/fire safety issue.

Sad because there isn't any way to fix it except to go back to selling less tickets.

As for the game. Ridiculous to start a baseball game at 8:35. By 11 they weren't even out of the fifth inning. MLB has got to do something. I'm glad the Yanks aren't in it so I don't feel compelled to stay up.

Don Quixote
10-25-07, 03:19 PM
I would rather stand in a line for a bathroom for 4 innings than watch what transpired in that lousy game. Rocks better to get it together tonight, or else.

cameraman
10-25-07, 03:23 PM
By 11 they weren't even out of the fifth inning. MLB has got to do something. I'm glad the Yanks aren't in it so I don't feel compelled to stay up. It was 13-1 after the fifth, there was no compelling reason to stay up no matter who was playing.

Andrew Longman
10-25-07, 03:42 PM
But even when there IS a compelling reason to watch, its hard to do.

When Aaron Boone hit his shot in 2003 it was 12:20 in the morning. That game started at an already too late 8:20. Starting at 8:35 is absurd.

TKGAngel
10-25-07, 04:59 PM
As for the game. Ridiculous to start a baseball game at 8:35. By 11 they weren't even out of the fifth inning. MLB has got to do something. I'm glad the Yanks aren't in it so I don't feel compelled to stay up.

I think by starting the games later, they're trying to draw in the coveted 29-54 demo, but at the same time, they're alienating any new, younger fans that they could draw. My dad was telling me about how when he was a kid (walking uphill to school both ways barefoot in the snow;) ), the Series was on during the day. You came home from school and watched the games. That's how the kids of his generation became the fans of today and developed those team loyalties.

Now the almighty advertiser and TV networks have determined that "late" is the way to start the game. I'm not going to argue that the baseball doesn't look better at night (like most sports), but there's no reason that games should be going on until well after midnight. You can't attract younger fans to watch the games and develop those team loyalties their parents had if the kids are only able to watch an inning-and-a-half because they have school the next day.

Andrew Longman
10-25-07, 07:23 PM
Not all the games were during the day, but some were. When I was in sixth grade my teacher rolled a TV into the classroom for us to watch. That was 1971.

But they can do night games, just don't start them at 8:35. I know they are doing it to try to get better West Coast ratings, but they are killing themselves elsewhere and in the long term with future fans.

Start 7:30 latest and be done before the local news comes on, and be done before kids and working folks need to go to bed.

Insomniac
10-26-07, 07:51 AM
They don't have the work/school excuse for an 8:30 start on Saturday and Sunday.

Don Quixote
10-26-07, 12:32 PM
I sure hope that Fox continues to show the Redsox bullpen banging their pots and pans. They only showed it for about 2 hours of their coverage last night. I also hope that they continue to show the Papelbon dance video over and over again. I think I have only seen that about 1000 times. [/getting ice pick ready to pierce my eardrums and gouge out my eyes]

Insomniac
10-26-07, 03:30 PM
[/getting ice pick ready to pierce my eardrums and gouge out my eyes]

I hope you'd consider turning the TV off first. ;)

Sean O'Gorman
10-26-07, 04:01 PM
I also hope that they continue to show the Papelbon dance video over and over again. I think I have only seen that about 1000 times. [/getting ice pick ready to pierce my eardrums and gouge out my eyes]

I think Papelbon managed to make Liberace look like Johnny Cash with that dance.

Insomniac
10-28-07, 05:50 PM
I wonder if Joe Buck even realizes the irony in his proclamation that it was the longest 9-Inning WS game ever. He says it like it was some amazing feat and not the commercials. 1 AM EDT. Pretty damn late with no extra innings.

WickerBill
10-29-07, 06:53 AM
YES! YES!! YES!!

I predicted the correct WS participants, but not the sweep... oh well :D

Insomniac
10-29-07, 10:21 AM
Woohoo! :)

(And A-Rod/Boras try to steal the spotlight.)