PDA

View Full Version : Weed Wacker

KLang
10-01-07, 02:54 PM
My trimmer gave up yesterday, I think the shaft broke based on the metal shavings pouring out when I start it. :laugh: It was John Deere badged Homelite that has served me well for 5 years. Best trimmer I've tried to date.

Anyone have any experience with what is on the market today? I see Stihl and Echo on the top of the Consumer Reports list. I'm attracted to the idea of a 4 cycle engine available from some manufacturers. Honda makes one but as usual, dealers for their power equipment are scarce. I do need a pretty robust machine as we grow some pretty big weeds here in Texas.

G.
10-01-07, 03:29 PM
My trimmer gave up yesterday, I think the shaft broke based on the metal shavings pouring out when I start it. :laugh: It was John Deere badged Homelite that has served me well for 5 years. Best trimmer I've tried to date.

Anyone have any experience with what is on the market today? I see Stihl and Echo on the top of the Consumer Reports list. I'm attracted to the idea of a 4 cycle engine available from some manufacturers. Honda makes one but as usual, dealers for their power equipment are scarce. I do need a pretty robust machine as we grow some pretty big weeds here in Texas.I am happy with my Ryobi 4 cycle trimmer, but we only get girl weeds in Illinois.

I have used it with the roto-tiller attachment and the edger attachment. It challenges the engine with those on.:laugh:

Be sure to put the old motor onto a Razor scooter and post vids.

oddlycalm
10-01-07, 07:18 PM
I've always had Stihl saws since the early 70's and trimmers since the mid-80's. Because of the timber industry here there are lots of dealers. The commercial duty equipment is rugged and not fussy at all. It's what all the professional landscape crews use around here as well. Made in Virginia Beach, VA. Stihl added another 228,000sq ft to their huge plant there in 2005.

oc

KLang
10-01-07, 09:02 PM
Thanks oc, I do try to buy American if I can. Some googling I did turned up some boards for Lawn Professionals ( !!! :D ), they seemed to like the brand. My John Deere dealer carries Stihl so I'll have to check them out.

Opposite Lock
10-01-07, 09:16 PM
I'm disillusioned. I thought the preferred Texas weedwacker was a full-bore choke on a 12 gauge, with Cheney-gauge birdshot.

Mr. Vengeance
10-01-07, 11:47 PM
I made my living for a long time with Stihl chain saws, and I've got an old Stihl trimmer for the mess that passes for my yard. Good, reliable stuff and worth the money.

Husqvarna and Jonsered might be worth a look, too.

Sean Malone
10-02-07, 08:19 AM
My dad gave me his Stihl chainsaw. The thing is probably 15 years old at least. Still runs great when it runs. It hates cold weather. I threw it against a tree one time because it wouldn't start and it cracked the engine housing. Still works fine. :)

KLang
10-02-07, 09:36 AM
I'm disillusioned. I thought the preferred Texas weedwacker was a full-bore choke on a 12 gauge, with Cheney-gauge birdshot.

My HOA frowns on gunfire except for the Fourth of July and New Years eve. :gomer: