PDA

View Full Version : Villeneuve to debut at 'Dega

Wheel-Nut
09-30-07, 11:52 AM
Is this a good idea?? I don't think so. :thumdown:

Methanolandbrats
09-30-07, 11:56 AM
Is this a good idea?? I don't think so. :thumdown:
Bad idea. When is this so I can roll the recorder?

Wheel-Nut
09-30-07, 03:20 PM
Next weekend . . .

Boatdesigner
09-30-07, 09:00 PM
Didn't he drive a truck at Vegas last weekend?

opinionated ow
09-30-07, 09:01 PM
Didn't he drive a truck at Vegas last weekend?

yes, he finished 21st and beat some of the bigger truck series names. Not a bad effort for a debut, especially as it has been 12 years since he raced on an oval.

RTKar
10-01-07, 07:36 PM
That track is pretty much a lotto...whether you win or wreck, it's all about draft partners, which he won't have....bad idea jocko.

extramundane
10-01-07, 08:47 PM
His participation in the race is merely to promote his record. Alabama's a big market for scholcky Quebecois ass-music. :thumbup:

IlliniRacer
10-02-07, 08:41 AM
What is the French equivalent to "Boogity Boogity Boogity"?

Sean Malone
10-02-07, 09:12 AM

It's the same,you just add the little accent thingys on the end.

Methanolandbrats
10-02-07, 09:23 AM
What is the French equivalent to "Boogity Boogity Boogity"? You would need to ask a French Hillbilly.

Andrew Longman
10-02-07, 09:52 AM

Boogitis! Boogitis! Boogitis!

Wheel-Nut
10-02-07, 10:22 AM
That track is pretty much a lotto...whether you win or wreck, it's all about draft partners, which he won't have....bad idea jocko.

They are using the CoT. I wonder how much difference, if any, this will have on the pack racing?

Methanolandbrats
10-02-07, 10:27 AM
They are using the CoT. I wonder how much difference, if any, this will have on the pack racing? They hold up a little better when you barrel roll them, so it won't take as long to clean up the multi-car cluster ****s.

Accipiter
10-02-07, 12:04 PM
Four-time Cup champion Gordon was adamantly against the decision.

"I love Jacques and I'm a big fan of his, but I think that's not the right decision to make," he said. "I didn't think it was the right decision last year with David Gilliland. Nothing against their talents, but I look at that race in the Chase [for the Cup]. You want to go run a race? Go to Atlanta. I'm very, very surprised that that was approved.

"I don't agree with it, but I'm not going to lose sleep over it. He did a nice job at the test, but you can't base anything off of a test. That's just crazy. You've got to have a race. I watched him in the Truck race and he did a nice job, but he wasn't really in contention so he wasn't in the thick of things. I think you need to get some experience in something else before you stick them in a Cup race, especially when it's so crucial for the championship."

opinionated ow
10-02-07, 12:28 PM
get real jeff gordon. the bloke won indianapolis when it mattered. he won cart when it was competitive, he dominated his first two seasons of formula 1 and got a title. he placed at michigan(iirc) and has handled the shorter ovals with aplomb. as if he needs to be checked for competence...

Sean O'Gorman
10-02-07, 12:36 PM
I want to see Robby and Jacques both end up running each other into the grass trying to battle for 34th position.

Sean Malone
10-02-07, 01:07 PM
get real jeff gordon. the bloke won indianapolis when it mattered. he won cart when it was competitive, he dominated his first two seasons of formula 1 and got a title. he placed at michigan(iirc) and has handled the shorter ovals with aplomb. as if he needs to be checked for competence...

You don't know what NASCAR means....pinnacle, baby, pinnacle. :gomer:

Andrew Longman
10-02-07, 01:10 PM
Given how NASCAR officiated the end of the Kansas race Gordon shouldn't be surprised by anything.

OTOH Jacques has proved himself capable so I don't on what grounds NASCAR could have kept him out even if they did want to ensure that some inexperienced driver took out the top ten in the Chase by causing the Big One.

What does NASCAR require to get into a Cup car other than complete deference to the France family?

Sean Malone
10-02-07, 01:13 PM
Given how NASCAR officiated the end of the Kansas race Gordon shouldn't be surprised by anything.

OTOH Jacques has proved himself capable so I don't on what grounds NASCAR could have kept him out even if they did want to ensure that some inexperienced driver took out the top ten in the Chase by causing the Big One.

What does NASCAR require to get into a Cup car other than complete deference to the France family?

Someone the other day mentioned that they need a 'test' on a superspeedway and a race in a truck or Busch car. Subjective, as is everything in NASCAR.

Andrew Longman
10-02-07, 01:51 PM
In days gone by, I believe you had to race at Trenton and Milwaukee AND get a current licensed driver vouch for you before you could get your rookie license to try Indianapolis.

The NHRA had a similar requirement and getting a driver to vouch for her nearly kept Shirley Muldowney off the dragstrip.

I like that so much better than today's tainted Milka-type sanctioning body decision making.

If you are going to screw up my race or perhaps kill me I think I ought to have a say in whether you race, or at least one of my peers ought to (so I can kick his butt if you mess me up).

Wheel-Nut
10-02-07, 02:25 PM

Two 3 minute rounds with 2 of the following drivers.

Tony Stewart
Jimmy Spencer
Kyle Petty

RTKar
10-02-07, 07:48 PM
They are using the CoT. I wonder how much difference, if any, this will have on the pack racing?

Not sure, I haven't followed the nuances of the COT. I know the drivers generally don't like pack racing but the governing body really doesn't care what they think anyway. I always thought instead of plates they should have freed the cars up to alleviate the packing situation but I don't think NASCAR really wants to stop pack racing, unsafe as it may be

opinionated ow
10-02-07, 08:29 PM
Not sure, I haven't followed the nuances of the COT. I know the drivers generally don't like pack racing but the governing body really doesn't care what they think anyway. I always thought instead of plates they should have freed the cars up to alleviate the packing situation but I don't think NASCAR really wants to stop pack racing, unsafe as it may be

they should just make them run 305s for 'dea and daytona if they are that worried about the speed

RTKar
10-02-07, 09:32 PM
I'm hardly an engineer but couldn't they play with the tire compound so they couldn't maintain speed lap after lap? Make it so the tires can go fast but they wear proportionately, thus adding an element of strategy. Make tires the limiting factor. Add tire sensors for safety's sake if need be.

Sean Malone
10-02-07, 10:14 PM
I'm hardly an engineer but couldn't they play with the tire compound so they couldn't maintain speed lap after lap? Make it so the tires can go fast but they wear proportionately, thus adding an element of strategy. Make tires the limiting factor. Add tire sensors for safety's sake if need be.

They tried that already = Hoosier. ;)

pchall
10-03-07, 06:24 AM

They're still trying that with Goodyear, adding tire failures to the program to increase the number of crashes for the fans.

cart7
10-03-07, 06:37 AM
I'm predicting the participation of both JV and Dario in a plate race starts a new tradition within Nascar.
The Plate race hired gun. :gomer:

RTKar
10-03-07, 07:03 AM

:laugh: Yea, hence the tire sensors, but that's probably too high tech for them.

trish
10-06-07, 01:01 PM
'Dega qualifying coming up. I've got my fingers crossed for Jaques.

edit: He's starting 10th in the truck race later this afternoon.

trish
10-06-07, 02:02 PM
**SPOILER***

Jaques will start. Maybe in the top 10 or 15.

A.J.A is in.

Not sure about Sam just yet. He could be on the bubble.

edit: timing and scoring is screwed up. it looks like all three will make this race. I think this will be Sam's first too.
Nope. I guess NASCAR has changed their go or go home rule or something. Even though Sam is currently sitting outside of the 6th row with only 9 more cars to qualify, he won't make the race. :confused:

Rob
10-06-07, 02:35 PM
**SPOILER***

Jaques will start. Maybe in the top 10 or 15.

A.J.A is in.

Not sure about Sam just yet. He could be on the bubble.

edit: timing and scoring is screwed up. it looks like all three will make this race. I think this will be Sam's first too.
Nope. I guess NASCAR has changed their go or go home rule or something. Even though Sam is currently sitting outside of the 12th row with only 9 more cars to qualify, he won't make the race. :confused:

There's no rule change. It's just that, unbelievably, with 42 out of 51 having made attempts, the top 10 cars are guys outside the top 35 in points! And with only 8 spots available, Allmendinger, Riggs and Hornish are going home despite being faster than two-thirds of the field.

trish
10-06-07, 02:41 PM
There's no rule change. It's just that, unbelievably, with 42 out of 51 having made attempts, the top 10 cars are guys outside the top 35 in points! And with only 8 spots available, Allmendinger, Riggs and Hornish are going home despite being faster than two-thirds of the field.

THat is embarrassing and a shame. Also, I meant to type that same was sitting in 12th on the outside of the 6th row with nine cars to go.

I hope NASCAR gets beat up in the press over this. Stupid rule.

Sean O'Gorman
10-06-07, 03:17 PM
5 of the top 15 drivers are going home. :shakehead

jonovision_man
10-06-07, 04:08 PM

That's horrific. :thumdown:

jono

trish
10-06-07, 05:00 PM

I also just found out that the top 7 of the go fast or go home cars that make the race get to start where they qualify. The 8th qualifier (in today's case Dale Jarrett) starts 43rd. Jarrett qualified 8th.

Accipiter
10-06-07, 05:13 PM
I just realized that Jacques is running with the number 27.

dando
10-06-07, 05:46 PM
Neckcar's version of the 25/8 rule. :tony:

:saywhat: :shakehead

-Kevin

jonovision_man
10-06-07, 06:41 PM
I just realized that Jacques is running with the number 27.

Very nice touch!

pchall
10-06-07, 06:53 PM
Gee, and just yesterday the neckcar dribbers where complaining that Villeneuve was going to screw up The Chase. Turns out they were right. :rofl:

Indy
10-06-07, 07:21 PM
Every NASCAR race you watch costs you five points of IQ.

If you doubt this, just look at a group of NASCAR fans.
http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/7213/15nascar1600un8.jpg

trish
10-06-07, 07:28 PM
THey look like your average person having a good time to me. Most of the NASCAR fans I've come across on forums seem to be pretty good people. Not ones to put others down either.

Indy
10-06-07, 07:39 PM
If hating that garbage makes me a snob, then I will wear the title as a badge of honor.

trish
10-06-07, 07:46 PM
If hating that garbage makes me a snob, then I will wear the title as a badge of honor.

There's nothing wrong with hating NASCAR. I just don't see why you label their fans as if it fits all of them. If I were to listen to many openwheel fans infested with all this hate, I'd have to believe that most or all NASCAR fans are

Fat
Illiterate
Racist
Poor
Ugly
Married to their sister/brother/cousin
Drunks

People who like what you like are the total opposite.

redmist
10-06-07, 07:58 PM
There's nothing wrong with hating NASCAR. I just don't see why you label their fans as if it fits all of them. If I were to listen to many openwheel fans infested with all this hate, I'd have to believe that most or all NASCAR fans are

Fat
Illiterate
Racist
Poor
Ugly
Drunks

People who like what you like are the total opposite.

that describes the crowd at bristol fairly well, i've been to a lot of different sporting events and never have i seen as many dirtballs as there.

Indy
10-06-07, 08:00 PM
Fat
Illiterate
Racist
Poor
Ugly
Drunks

You have made my case for me.

trish
10-06-07, 08:02 PM

You have made my case for me.

I guess that's all then.

jonovision_man
10-06-07, 08:09 PM
I don't care about the crowd, it's the racing that's not my thing... the races are way too long and generally are dull as dirt.

I enjoyed JPM on road courses this year, but what I tried to watch of their ovals was atrocious.

As a Jacques fan I'll try to suffer through some of 'dega, but I'll be holding my nose... hope he crashes out early so I can go watch the grass grow or something. :gomer:

jono

STD
10-06-07, 08:10 PM
It's all a matter of the degree of reflectivity. :rofl:

trish
10-07-07, 05:14 PM
Jaques has had one heck of a day.

Ran a clean race most of the day.

Got caught up in the big one.

Attempted intimidation by one of the "regulars" after the big caution.

Speeding on pit road.

Lost radio communications (ear piece fell out) and did not take the penalty for speeding so was black flagged.

The crew has been very good with him though, making sure that he understands how everything works and for the most part they've kept him out of trouble.

He's done pretty good imo. I hope he can finish the race. They still seem to be having some communication problems (like Jacques either not listening or not able to do what they ask at the right time) but I think he'll be ok.

trish
10-07-07, 05:24 PM
I have to say, they have been patiently persistent with Jacques during this race, but still persistent. He asks a lot of questions (ALL THE TIME) and doesn't always listen because he always asks another question.

He threatened to start speaking French after their last communication on his not understanding what they are telling him. :D

trish
10-07-07, 05:29 PM
Jacques running in 18th with 21 laps to go.

Before the start of the race, he opted to drop to the back instead of starting where he qualified.

20 laps to go.

trish
10-07-07, 05:36 PM
Another caution with 13 to go.

Spotter said he just passed five more cars. Jacques asked him why he said nice cars. lol

Still asking questions. Why do they want him to pit? Probably because he just ran through some debris. Jacques = "But why?" lol

trish
10-07-07, 05:46 PM
Jacques pulled off. Had to change gears. Lost a lot of spots.

7 to go

Edit: He said 3rd gear broke.

He's in 21st.

Crew Chief says they are not done wrecking. Maybe Jacques can get a top 10 when the guys up front take each other out.

trish
10-07-07, 05:50 PM
2 to go.

trish
10-07-07, 05:53 PM
Jeff Gordon wins.

Jacques goes the distance. Finishes 21st.

Great race!

cameraman
10-07-07, 06:09 PM
I sat through the last half hour of that just to see what happened with JV.

I do not get why NASCAR is popular:shakehead

185 laps of pack thinning orbiting followed by three laps of drafting roulette.

Whatever:rolleyes:

TKGAngel
10-07-07, 07:16 PM
It was kind of a boring race. All the pre-race pearl-clutching about the CoT was for naught.

During some of the overhead copter shots, there were a lot of empty seats.

Also, what are the odds that NASCAR does something to improve the visibility of the back windows? The one complaint that every driver seemed to have was that they could not see into the back window of the car in front. Therefore, they couldn't see if someone was waving them past, or giving the old "we're number #1.

cart7
10-07-07, 08:47 PM
Other than waiting for the big ones, I've never understood how anyone can watch those races.....

Looks like 'Dega track owners did a pretty good job of cleaning the riff raff out, only a small amount of debris would up on the track directed at Gordon. What a shame, that was quite a tradition they had going there. :gomer:

jonovision_man
10-07-07, 10:14 PM
It was kind of a boring race. All the pre-race pearl-clutching about the CoT was for naught.

I watched a bit... one of the announcers before the green asked "could we see the most exciting race of the decade?" :laugh:

Answer: No.

I hope I don't forget how much this stunk and accidentally turn it on again for Daytona next year... someone remind me please. :)

jono

opinionated ow
10-07-07, 10:53 PM
the crap of tomorrow is the worst thing to happen to nascar...i hope they get rid of them quick smart....

Andrew Longman
10-08-07, 12:43 AM
Also, what are the odds that NASCAR does something to improve the visibility of the back windows?

Be hard to fix since it is the wing that blocks the view. Make it out of Lexan?

I caoght some of it during F1 commercials. Did anyone notice that the Penske teammates were talking directly to each other over the radio? I thought drivers could only do that in the movies.

coolhand
10-08-07, 01:50 AM

Wow, I am sure you are so much better than those people because you follow a pathetic failing race car series.

they at least have fun watching racing.:gomer:

pchall
10-08-07, 07:27 AM
Even having Villeneuve in the field couldn't keep me awake during -- let alone interested in -- that nonsense. I just can't muster anything but cynical curiosity about NASCAR oval racing. Montoya, Villeneuve, and Franchitti at Sears Point and Watkins Glen might be a bit more entertaining, though.

jonovision_man
10-08-07, 07:58 AM
Even having Villeneuve in the field couldn't keep me awake during -- let alone interested in -- that nonsense. I just can't muster anything but cynical curiosity about NASCAR oval racing. Montoya, Villeneuve, and Franchitti at Sears Point and Watkins Glen might be a bit more entertaining, though.

True dat! :)

I wonder if Villeneuve will do the Busch race in Montreal? He's gotta! GOTTA!

jono

Indy
10-08-07, 06:59 PM
Wow, I am sure you are so much better than those people because you follow a pathetic failing race car series.

they at least have fun watching racing.:gomer:

It has nothing to do with Champ Car's suckage and everything to do with NASCAR's suckage.

Sorry, but if you take away all judgment, then anything goes. In my judgment, NASCAR is phony and designed to appeal to the least common denominator among us. You can call me an elitist, but I would rather live with that label than to have no standards for fear of offending someone.

Andrew Longman
10-09-07, 01:05 PM
In my judgment, NASCAR is phony and designed to appeal to the least common denominator among us.

The phoney part people can argue about but NASCAR has always said (and Jeff Gordon repeated it on Windtunnel Sunday) that "NASCAR is about the fans"; each and every one of them and as many as they can get. They willingly risk their hardcore base and more "informed" racing fans in general in order to expand their fanbase to as wide as possible.

They wouldn't disagree with that statement. And fans like being told they are #1, especially when other series make it so much about the teams that put up millions of bucks to participate.

What those fans don't appreciate is the implications of putting fans first. Things like when Biffle runs out of gas and finishes third behind the pacecar, NASCAR doesn't want to confuse anybody when they've already declared him the winner and simply ignore the rules. Or when the winner has blatently cheated in post race inspection, they never change the results because that would confuse people to lazy to figure it out. Or when newcomers greatly outqualify the regulars, they are still sent home because the fans expect to see the regulars. The beat goes on.

Dirk Diggler
10-09-07, 05:40 PM
As much as I hate NASCAR, I did tune in for about ten minutes (I was curious as hell as to how many cars Villeneuve had taken out - turns out he did ok, good for him). The part that I did catch, however, will insure that it will be some time before I watch it again. They had a clip of Montoya saying that he was having "ten times more fun" than he did in F1. Figure of speach, right? Well, that's what I thoght. And then, we go back to the announcer (missed his name, but I think it was David Koresh) goes into Sunday School teacher mode, speaking slowly and softly and full of reverence.... "Did you hear that??? He said this is TEN TIMES more fun. TEN TIMES!!!" It was a stunning reminder of how, as someone else pointed out, NASCAR is shameless about going for the lowest common denominator. What rube is going to be impressed by that? Well, millions of them, apparantly. But that doesn't mean that I want to be one of them.:cool:

FTG
10-09-07, 06:38 PM
NASCAR is shameless about going for the lowest common denominator.

When you're too blue collar for Dirk Diggler, you know you've got problems.

STD
10-09-07, 07:33 PM
He paid a lot more attention to it then I ever will. :rofl:

Dirk Diggler
10-09-07, 07:50 PM
When you're too blue collar for Dirk Diggler, you know you've got problems.

http://photo.demonhood.com/albums/mwsf2003/aap.sized.jpg

trish
10-20-07, 04:04 PM
Both Jacques and Dario are doing a great job in the truck race so far.

trish
10-20-07, 04:09 PM
So much for Dario. lol He made a slight mistake and paid for it.

Methanolandbrats
10-20-07, 04:18 PM
Is it a requirement that the hillbillies in the booth say "truck" at least once every 15 seconds?

trish
10-20-07, 04:28 PM
I don't usually watch the truck races so I don't know the answer to that.

RusH
10-20-07, 04:30 PM
Will NA$CAR allow JV to wear pajamas (oversided race suit) all the time? :gomer:

<<<<<evil post

trish
10-20-07, 04:37 PM
Jacques just crashed. Fortunately the safer barrier was there. He had help, of course.

Well, they both still did a great job today. Jacques was in 13th when this happened.

I believe Dario was in 16th or 17th when he wrecked.

Hi RusH!

Andrew Longman
10-20-07, 04:42 PM
Is it a requirement that the hillbillies in the booth say "truck" at least once every 15 seconds?

I don't think they require that he wear anything more than a white tee shirt and jeans. Brown wingtips are OK too. :gomer:

Indy
10-20-07, 05:33 PM
I don't think they require that he wear anything more than a white tee shirt and jeans. Brown wingtips are OK too. :gomer:

And you have to smoke Winston's while driving, too.

Why the hell are you people watching this idiocy? Isn't there some wrestling on somewhere?

trish
11-02-07, 08:17 PM
Jacques starts 16th in tonight's truck race.

trish
11-09-07, 08:55 PM
Jacques and Patreek make the Phoenix race. Sam too. A.J. goes home.

jonovision_man
11-10-07, 09:04 AM
Jacques and Patreek make the Phoenix race. Sam too. A.J. goes home.

Getting to be a pretty long list! :)

jono

trish
11-10-07, 07:43 PM
Sam spun himself out in the Busch race and retired early.

trish
11-10-07, 08:01 PM
3 laps to go and Dario gets caught up in a wreck.

trish
11-10-07, 08:23 PM
It would be pretty neat if Kyle can sweep this weekend with the Cup race win.

jonovision_man
11-10-07, 10:06 PM
3 laps to go and Dario gets caught up in a wreck.

He spun earlier as well... eventful race for him. :)

jono

trish
11-11-07, 08:01 PM
Jimmie Johnson wins 4 in a row. :yuck: