PDA

View Full Version : Dog Training Tips?

Sean Malone
09-28-07, 01:19 PM
I didn't want to derail insomniacs thread but I saw that extramundane's wife has a dog training biz which reminded me I'm in the need of some refinement with me pup pup.

I have a 3 year old female GSD who is, as GSD's tend to be, incredibly intelligent. She learns within three repetitions. I've trained her myself with all basic obedience with vocal and hand commands. She actually responds better with the hand commands. I taught her how to heel while I throw her ball, make her wait for the signal and then fetch and return all with hand signals. next I'm gonna teach her how to rip people's jugulars out. that'll be fun.

I need some tips on her behavior with small dogs. She's fine with medium and large dogs, very friendly...no prob, but little dogs I think she looks at them like squirrels. She just wants to tear them apart. She also plays too rough with children. Never bites, but just rougher than what she should. I always have to be right on top of her when the nieces and nephews are around.

Now, I know, I know, take her to a pro, but I'm an egomaniac that feels that I can train my dog.

BTW; I only train with positive reinforcement never fear.

http://picasaweb.google.com/Sean.R.Malone/Hanna/photo#5065572360090230066

Andrew Longman
09-28-07, 01:40 PM
Rips apart small dogs? There's a problem with that? No self respecting dog should tolerate a rat on a rope. ;)

My folks were puppy raiser for Canine Companions. They taught them 27 building block commands that later were used to develop them as various kinds of service dogs. I have one of their "career change" dogs

The most useful command may be "Settle" which work wonders when she wants to really, really make sure guests are well greeted. They trained her basically by getting her excited, then showing her a treat while saying "Settle". She wouldn't get it until she calmed down and waited calmly for the reinforcement. Reinforcement was tapered off to intermitent and it works like a charm. Might work for your kids issue, but that might also be an issue of making sure kids don't encourage rough behavior.

The other cool command is "Hurry". Which means empty your blatter and bowel now. And the dogs won't do that unless they are give the "hurry" command. How they train that I don't know.

Methanolandbrats
09-28-07, 02:07 PM
>>>>She also plays too rough with children. Never bites, but just rougher than what she should. I always have to be right on top of her when the nieces and nephews are around. >>>>>

Before looking for a dog trainer, I'd check the liability limits of your homeowners policy and maybe think about increasing it.

Ankf00
09-28-07, 02:57 PM
she needs to take a trip to my place to rip apart the little bitch that punctured my hand today. :mad:

Sean O'Gorman
09-28-07, 03:55 PM
Before looking for a dog trainer, I'd check the liability limits of your homeowners policy and maybe think about increasing it.

+2

Also, someone make a Bad News Kennelz joke for me, I'm too tired to right now.

extramundane
09-28-07, 04:32 PM
The Missus sez:

Teach "easy" or "gentle" command, use treats in a sitting position. Say easy and move the treat toward the dog's mouth, if the dog moves toward the treat then say no and start all over. The dog does not get the treat until they
keep their head still. This reinforces the gentleness.

I would also highly recommend reading How To Be Your Dog's Best Friend by
the New Skete Monks, they specialize in German Shepherds.

Sean Malone
09-28-07, 04:34 PM
Rips apart small dogs? There's a problem with that? No self respecting dog should tolerate a rat on a rope. ;)

My folks were puppy raiser for Canine Companions. They taught them 27 building block commands that later were used to develop them as various kinds of service dogs. I have one of their "career change" dogs

The most useful command may be "Settle" which work wonders when she wants to really, really make sure guests are well greeted. They trained her basically by getting her excited, then showing her a treat while saying "Settle". She wouldn't get it until she calmed down and waited calmly for the reinforcement. Reinforcement was tapered off to intermitent and it works like a charm. Might work for your kids issue, but that might also be an issue of making sure kids don't encourage rough behavior.

The other cool command is "Hurry". Which means empty your blatter and bowel now. And the dogs won't do that unless they are give the "hurry" command. How they train that I don't know.

I like the "settle" idea, Andrew. I'm going to work with her this weekend on that.

Let me take a step back expand on some of my earlier points, She is a very socialized dog with a very soft temperament, as female GSD's tend to have. She doesn’t require a muzzle at the vet, but they will sedate her for procedures such as ear cleaning, nail clipping etc as she will get too excited which is a GSD trait. I frequently take her to PetSmart with no problems. When she eyes a small dog I keep her tight next to me with a calm attitude, even though she does go into “hyper” mode.
On our evening walks she doesn’t bat an eye at a passing jogger, or bicyclist or little old lady watering her flowers. Now, if that lady has a toy poodle…watch out poodle!

Regarding the children, any German Shepherd when placed in their "domain", such as “her” backyard along with an understanding that it's "play time" (either with me and her ball or little kids running and giggling) is going to be too much for anyone who doesn’t possess an authoritative ‘Alpha’ persona, may escalate the “excitement” to an uncomfortable level, (if you get my drift). One of the most surprising things that new owners of GSD’s experience is how rough their dogs “play”. At times it can even appear as fighting.
I’ve had four GSD’s in my life and know the breed well. I shake my head when my friends and family talk about what dog they want based soley on looks or trends completely ignoring the characteristics of the breed.

Any dog expert will agree that all dogs are capable of biting with considerable damage. I was bitten on the chin by a cocker spaniel when I was 8. It took four stitches. The owners didn’t have a clue that the cocker spaniel is a notorious biter, especially with children. Some people equate small breeds with “safe” breeds. However, I’m sure all would agree, I’d rather be bitten by a cocker spaniel than a GSD, Rottwieller or, of course a pitbull any day of the week.

I have always gone into owning a GSD the same as owning a weapon in many regards. She is introduced to strangers with care, kept behind a tall fence when outside with appropriate signage and the dog listed on our homeowners (some carriers won’t cover dogs they deem “dangerous” which is a joke). No matter how calm, well tempered Hannalore is acting at the moment, if we have friends or family over, I’m always cautious and keep one eye on her at all times.

“The most horrifying example of the lack of breed predictability is the October 2000 death of a 6-week-old baby, which was killed by her family's Pomeranian dog. The average weight of a Pomeranian is about 4 pounds, and they are not thought of as a dangerous breed. Note, however, that they were bred to be watchdogs! The baby's uncle left the infant and the dog on a bed while the uncle prepared her bottle in the kitchen. Upon his return, the dog was mauling the baby, who died shortly afterwards. ("Baby Girl Killed by Family Dog," Los Angeles Times, Monday, October 9, 2000, Home Edition, Metro Section, Page B-5.)”

“In the United States, the list of top breeds involved in both bite injuries and fatalities changes from year to year and from one area of the country to another, depending on the popularity of the breed. Although genetics do play some part in determining whether a dog will bite, factors such as whether the dog is spayed or neutered, properly socialized, supervised, humanely trained, and safely confined play significantly greater roles. Responsible dog ownership of all breeds is the key to dog bite prevention.”

Out and about, I’m often surprised at the reaction from strangers toward Hannalore. Most look and point saying things like “beautiful dog” but they keep their distance. Surprisingly women are the least fearful of her. At PetSmart I always have woman march right up to her and start petting her before asking “can I pet her?”. Duh. I assume they figure if she’s at the pet store, she’s socialized, which she is, but you never know what the dog is thinking.

Picture's to follow.:)

Sean Malone
09-28-07, 04:35 PM
The Missus sez:

Thanks! Will do!!:thumbup: