PDA

View Full Version : Why am I at work?

WickerBill
09-26-07, 06:25 AM
DirecTV launched 21 new HD channels today. There are 70 more coming by Halloween. I could be watching the Weather Channel, or Smithsonian, or History Channel, or Science Channel, or the NFL Network, or CNN, or the four new Starz HD channels... but no, I'm filling out expense reports and building ESX servers.

Bah.

Sean Malone
09-26-07, 08:15 AM
Amen! I was thinking the same thing. Picked up Halo 3 last night!

Indy
09-26-07, 08:28 AM
Ok, I am ready to buy!

What should I get out of them to sign up (I am already a regular customer)? Do you have any other advice?

Warlock!
09-26-07, 08:35 AM
Pffft. I have a fully stocked bar with an uncracked bottle of Pravda vodka at home, and here I sit at work surfing the internet. :(

Insomniac
09-26-07, 08:51 AM
DirecTV launched 21 new HD channels today. There are 70 more coming by Halloween. I could be watching the Weather Channel, or Smithsonian, or History Channel, or Science Channel, or the NFL Network, or CNN, or the four new Starz HD channels... but no, I'm filling out expense reports and building ESX servers.

Bah.

Well, you could be me. Got the HR20 on the 11th, broken by the 16th. Got a replacement on the 19th broke on the 24th. Now they refuse to swap it and are sending out a tech. Of course, as of this moment it is working so it probably won't be resolved today.

Insomniac
09-26-07, 08:57 AM
Ok, I am ready to buy!

What should I get out of them to sign up (I am already a regular customer)? Do you have any other advice?

You generally have to talk to someone in customer retention to get the next deal. You can talk to them by saying "Cancel Service" at the voice prompt.

Here is a link to where people are discussing what deals they are getting: http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=62089

WickerBill
09-26-07, 09:04 AM
Ok, I am ready to buy!

Yeah, some advice.

1. Call in and say you want to upgrade to HD and you would like a HD DVR.
2. Listen to them tell you it is $299.
3. Tell them you've been with them forever and want to know if there are any deals for good customers.
4. Listen to them tell you no|yes, $199|yes, $99|yes, $19.95 (all depending on the Customer Service Rep and their mood)
5. Unless they've offered you the $19.95, politely tell them no thanks and hang up
6. Call back > 60 minutes later and at the voice prompt, say "Cancel service". You don't have any intention of canceling, but you need to reach a department called "Customer Retention" and this is how to do it.
7. Tell retention that you are a loyal DirecTV customer and you are trying to get HD. You have read online that other customers, who have been with DirecTV for a shorter period than you have been, are getting the HD DVR for $19.95 installed. Tell them you want that deal.

They will treat you right after you play a little bit of "CSR Roulette"...

Sean Malone
09-26-07, 09:18 AM
Yeah, some advice.

3. Tell them you've been with them forever and want to know if there are any deals for good customers.
4. Listen to them tell you no|yes, $199|yes, $99|yes, $19.95 (all depending on the Customer Service Rep and their mood)
5. Unless they've offered you the $19.95, politely tell them no thanks and hang up
6. Call back > 60 minutes later and at the voice prompt, say "Cancel service". You don't have any intention of canceling, but you need to reach a department called "Customer Retention" and this is how to do it.
7. Tell retention that you are a loyal DirecTV customer and you are trying to get HD. You have read online that other customers, who have been with DirecTV for a shorter period than you have been, are getting the HD DVR for $19.95 installed. Tell them you want that deal.

Where were you when I was on the phone with Sears CS for three hours last weekend!! (No exaggeration).

dando
09-26-07, 09:29 AM

Bah.

There's only one reason to watch TWC in HD: Stephanie Abrams. Yowza! Oh, and she's on in the evening.

-Kevin

KLang
09-26-07, 10:33 AM
DirecTV launched 21 new HD channels today.

Dish already has 11 of those. I do hope they pick up CNN soon. :thumbup:

Cam
09-26-07, 06:59 PM
Where were you when I was on the phone with Sears CS for three hours last weekend!! (No exaggeration).

I didn't think anyone shopped at Sears anymore?!?!? :saywhat:

Methanolandbrats
09-26-07, 07:21 PM
There's only one reason to watch TWC in HD: Stephanie Abrams. Yowza! Oh, and she's on in the evening.

-Kevin
Cool! Did you catch her on location hurricane coverage last year? Live wet t-shirt news :thumbup:

Sean Malone
09-26-07, 10:38 PM

No doubt. New customer...deserves own thread. Coming soon...

Insomniac
09-27-07, 09:25 AM

I did earlier this month (bought an HDTV) and regret it. Hopefully it shows up tomorrow and works fine out of the box and I'm done with Sears.

KLang
09-27-07, 09:46 AM
I am surprised to say that in the last month I have bought two HD TV's from Sears. A 26" Sony LCD and a 37" Sharp LCD. I ended up at Sears because I was in a hurry and they happened to have them in stock at the store nearby. Prices were OK for a non internet retailer. I had done all my research ahead of time and was strictly looking for the quickest place to buy what I wanted.

dando
09-27-07, 12:27 PM
Cool! Did you catch her on location hurricane coverage last year? Live wet t-shirt news :thumbup:

Was there a hurricane to cover last year? I missed that. ;)

I just flip on Abrams & Bettes and mute the sound. *sigh* :)

-Kevin

cameraman
09-27-07, 12:45 PM
Sears is good for clothes for the two year old.
Sears is good for kitchen appliances.
Sears is good for wrenches.

It pretty much ends there.

Methanolandbrats
09-27-07, 01:08 PM
Sears is good for clothes for the two year old.
Sears is good for kitchen appliances.
Sears is good for wrenches.

It pretty much ends there.
I'll agree on the first two, but the tools are crap. They used to be good budget tools, but now they are a cut above Harbor Freight. Allen and Wright are far better and inexpensive.

Sean O'Gorman
09-27-07, 01:43 PM
Harbor Freight tools are awesome, you have to break like five of them before they equal the cost of one name brand.

devilmaster
09-27-07, 01:52 PM
I'll agree on the first two, but the tools are crap.

How can you say that?!? AJ Foyt always told me that Craftsman tools were the only ones for him..... ;)

Methanolandbrats
09-27-07, 02:03 PM
Harbor Freight tools are awesome, you have to break like five of them before they equal the cost of one name brand. A box of "Open End Wrenches" from HF should actually labeled "Chinese Fastener Rounders".

Al Czervik
09-27-07, 02:05 PM
I'll agree on the first two, but the tools are crap. They used to be good budget tools, but now they are a cut above Harbor Freight. Allen and Wright are far better and inexpensive.

I have a Craftsman socket set from the early '90's. The ratchets all feel like they have some sort of precision to them. I picked up a more recent vintage, and it looks (and feels) like crap.

FWIW

BOT, loving the new HD channels too.

cameraman
09-27-07, 02:17 PM
I have a Craftsman socket set from the early '90's.
Yeah, I bought one of the medium/large sets in the late 70's, when my wrenches are 30+ years old it must mean I'm getting old:saywhat:

Anyway I haven't bought a wrench in a decade or two so I guess things have changed:shakehead

WickerBill
10-03-07, 08:38 PM
We (DirecTV subscribers) got 11 new channels today, including SciFi and USA.

Watching my first hockey game in HD (in between innings of the Sox game); it's really, really good. But the HD on TBS for the playoffs might be the best I've ever seen that isn't over-the-air.

Elmo T
10-03-07, 08:54 PM

Comcast has started adding new HD channels over the last couple weeks. HD wars?

WickerBill
10-03-07, 08:59 PM
Comcast has started adding new HD channels over the last couple weeks. HD wars?

Good for all of us!

Insomniac
10-03-07, 11:25 PM

Watching my first hockey game in HD (in between innings of the Sox game); it's really, really good. But the HD on TBS for the playoffs might be the best I've ever seen that isn't over-the-air.

Did you have to restart your receiver? I got the new ones last time, then the next night it restarted by itself. I don't have them yet (well, at least when I checked earlier today).

Interesting observation on TBS. My TV has a problem, but I was actually smiling today watching the game it looked so good. First time I saw the "3D" look.

chop456
10-04-07, 08:22 AM
Just got my OTA last weekend. It's 55+ miles away, but I think most of the dish-based HD is better. NFL Network is probably the best, followed by Equator HD. :shrug:

Elmo T
10-04-07, 08:32 AM
We had Verizon install the fiber optic last year. We have the FIOS internet now, but we are still waiting for the Township to approve TV via FIOS. I am told that Verizon's TV package is Dish or Direct TV via FIOS? Anyone else on the Verizon system and is it worth the change? I am for it just to dump Comcast once and for all.

extramundane
10-04-07, 11:34 AM
I am told that Verizon's TV package is Dish or Direct TV via FIOS? Anyone else on the Verizon system and is it worth the change? I am for it just to dump Comcast once and for all.

It's certainly not Dish or Direct here. It's not available in my ghetto neighborhood yet (March '08 :( ), but I've got several friends who have it, and it's definitely a Verizon-specific service. One ran it alongside Comcast HD for a month or so and said it was a slightly better picture (on a 42" LCD) than Comcast, but the added satisfaction of being free of Comcast made it a no-brainer.

Insomniac
10-04-07, 12:58 PM
Did you have to restart your receiver? I got the new ones last time, then the next night it restarted by itself. I don't have them yet (well, at least when I checked earlier today).

Quick update for any other HR20 owners out there. I had them, but my Guide was setup using one of the Custom channel listings. I had to go in and add the channels in to have them show up in my Guide.

WickerBill
10-04-07, 08:11 PM
Sleepy, we got MHD today, channel 332. MTV + VH1 + CMT except they play music videos. Only HD ones.

Insomniac
10-05-07, 12:45 AM
Sleepy, we got MHD today, channel 332. MTV + VH1 + CMT except they play music videos. Only HD ones.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll check it out, unless there is country music. (Well, I'll just mute it if there are at least some cute ladies in the video. :))

nrc
10-05-07, 09:39 AM
Cancelled DirecTV last night. The TiVolution will not be broadcast via satellite. Well, maybe if the Echostar suit goes TiVo's way... But for now it's back to cable for the first time in over a decade.

We now have WOW! cable with a TiVo Series 3. It's great to be back on a full TiVo platform (ie, not crippled by DTV). Quality is better on both SD and HD channels than with my MPEG2 DirecTV TiVo, include the lowly analog cable.

It would be nice to have some of the new HD DTV is offering, but with WOW we get more local HD and more movie channels in HD for less than we were paying for DTV.

Downloads from Amazon Unbox are very cool. Once they provide HD content and progressive downloading (start viewing while the download is in progress) it's going to revolutionize the way we watch TV (again).

Sean Malone
10-05-07, 10:10 AM
Question; is dish HD higher res than cable? I thought I read somewhere that dish transmits a true 1080p while most HD on cable it 720i or 720p?

One thing recently that really opened my eyes; A few weeks ago we moved from our rental house to our new house and i had the cable company come out (priority and all :)) and the guy was a contractor. He explained that he makes more money if he runs all new cable and it's no cost to me so I said sure. The difference in quality between the new cable and the old cable at the rental was amazing! I had no idea that just by running new cable, it could affect the picture quality so drastically. And, there was nothing "wrong" with the old cable. I had a tech come out because my OnDemand was working and he said it was "within spec".

New kabul rawx (spicoli speak).

KLang
10-05-07, 10:43 AM
Question; is dish HD higher res than cable? I thought I read somewhere that dish transmits a true 1080p while most HD on cable it 720i or 720p?

Nobody is transmitting 1080p. Ideally everything should be sent us in either 1080i or 720p depending on the source. ABC and Fox both use 720p. I think pretty much everyone else uses 1080i. I have read reports that some providers actually send something less then full bandwidth.

WickerBill
10-05-07, 11:39 AM
It's called, unofficially, HD-Lite, and both Dish and DirecTV, as well as most cable companies (check local listings) are doing it. But it doesn't involve downgrading 1080 to 720, it involves "downsampling"; changing (for instance) 1920x1080i to 1280x1080i, which requires far less bandwidth.

Dish just recently downgraded HBO and Showtime down to 1440x1080i from 1920x1080i, and those were the last two channels they offered in "full HD". Most of DirecTVs new channels are coming over at full 1920x1080i, but it remains to be seen if they keep them at that rate as they add channels.

Insomniac
10-05-07, 12:19 PM
It's called, unofficially, HD-Lite, and both Dish and DirecTV, as well as most cable companies (check local listings) are doing it. But it doesn't involve downgrading 1080 to 720, it involves "downsampling"; changing (for instance) 1920x1080i to 1280x1080i, which requires far less bandwidth.

Dish just recently downgraded HBO and Showtime down to 1440x1080i from 1920x1080i, and those were the last two channels they offered in "full HD". Most of DirecTVs new channels are coming over at full 1920x1080i, but it remains to be seen if they keep them at that rate as they add channels.

Cable companies are notorious for lowering the bitrate but keeping the resolution. As far as I know, no one is keeping the ~19 Mbps you get from OTA HD though.

I think they knock down the resolution on 1080i because they can get away with it for now. The percentage of those sets is quite low. It seems they are leaving 720p alone and 1080i uses just a little more bandwidth than 720p.

I'm glad to hear that the new HD channels are 1920x1080 though. I only have a 720p display, so I won't really see it, but I'd like to still get the best possible source.

KLang
10-05-07, 12:53 PM

I avoided the details as I've seen those discussions go very badly elsewhere.:p Bottom line for me, I haven't noticed any difference in picture quality.

WickerBill
10-10-07, 08:36 PM
Another four HD channels today.

CNBC
Food Network
National Geographic
MGM Network

Sean Malone
10-10-07, 08:40 PM

CNBC
Food Network
National Geographic
MGM Network

Giada's cleavage in HD. Mmmmm. :)

Insomniac
10-11-07, 09:33 AM

CNBC
Food Network
National Geographic
MGM Network

Have you received your bill since your upgrade? Mine is a colossal mess. $10 HD Access fee, no $10 credit. A million adjustments. Equipment Protection Plan Starts in 30 days... This is going to take at least 2, 30-45 min phone calls to clear up.

I like the new CNBC. Much more data.

WickerBill
10-11-07, 10:45 AM
My bill is fairly clean.

Setanta is KILLING me though. $15/mo. Used to be $6, then $10. I need to see what it costs to get Setanta Broadband and just bite the bullet and kill the DirecTV version.

Insomniac
10-11-07, 11:37 AM
My bill is fairly clean.

Setanta is KILLING me though. $15/mo. Used to be $6, then $10. I need to see what it costs to get Setanta Broadband and just bite the bullet and kill the DirecTV version.

I just got off the phone. If it was done right, it was relatively painless. Took about 20 mins. Thankfully they put notes in my account so he could go back and see it was offered to me.

Insomniac
10-15-07, 10:24 AM
10 more HD channels.

4 regional sports networks and:

1. Fox Business Network (359) (There is also an SD version as well.)
2. HGTV HD (229-1)
3. FX HD (248)
4. Speed Network HD (607)
5. Fuel HD (612)
6. The Cartoon Network (296)

Will the final F1 race be in HD on SPEED? Will Nip/Tuck be in HD on FX?

Sean Malone
10-15-07, 10:26 AM
10 more HD channels.

4 regional sports networks and:

1. Fox Business Network (359) (There is also an SD version as well.)
2. HGTV HD (229-1)
3. FX HD (248)
4. Speed Network HD (607)
5. Fuel HD (612)
6. The Cartoon Network (296)

Will the final F1 race be in HD on SPEED? Will Nip/Tuck be in HD on FX?

I long for the day I can get an F1 race in HD. :thumbup:

WickerBill
10-15-07, 02:45 PM
Hey, what happened to my "Every Wednesday is Christmas" deal? What's this Monday stuff??

:)

Insomniac
10-28-07, 10:33 AM
I just got a mailer from DirecTV talking about their HD programming. I'm not sure how this affects those of us with the grandfathered packages (I have Total Choice and will have the $9.99 HD Access Fee) but it lists a DirecTV HD Extra Pack which includes:

HDNet
HDNet Movies
MGM HD
MHD
Smithsonian Chanel HD
Universal HD

It says Free Preview until 12/15 then you can add it on for $4.99/mo.

Also, the program guide does list Nip/Tuck as an HD program.

Insomniac
01-02-08, 04:46 PM
If you are missing the 5 HD channels DTV moved to their own tier (HDNet sued and they stay out of the tier now), you can sign up for them and get them for 3 months free.

Also, my DVR quit working (said I was not subscribed to DVR service :confused:) and I called them. Really weird call.

To preface this, it is not meant to be political. nrc, if you think it is a problem, feel free to delete/edit my post.

I ended up having to reboot the receiver and if any of you own one, you know it takes a while. While waiting, he asked me if I was going to vote in the primary. I told him I was unaffiliated and Kansas is a closed primary. (On an aside, they haven't had a presidential primary since 1992 and only have a democratic one on Super Tuesday.)

He told me he was too and was going to change to a Republican to vote for Ron Paul. He was then telling me about Ron Paul and talking about his exclusion in the Fox News debate and what not. He also mentioned liking Kucinich, Gravel and the other Thompson. Anyways, it didn't bother me, but I found it fascinating. Has this ever happened to anyone else?

nrc
01-02-08, 07:19 PM
To preface this, it is not meant to be political. nrc, if you think it is a problem, feel free to delete/edit my post.

As long as we leave it at that I'll leave it at that.

Are they coaching the Indian call centers on political chitchat now?

dando
01-02-08, 08:06 PM

Indians don't deviate from scripts, nor are they likely to take creative action/innovate. That's one of the issues we have with them as developers and/or quality engineers. They just don't think outside the box very well.

Another recent trend I've read about is called inshoring, where calls are being sent back to the US for support. There's a center going in near Cincy for this very purpose. Hillbillies == cheap labor. :gomer: ;)

-Kevin

nrc
01-02-08, 08:43 PM
Indians don't deviate from scripts, nor are they likely to take creative action/innovate. That's one of the issues we have with them as developers and/or quality engineers. They just don't think outside the box very well. Hmm. Plenty of press stories have talked about cultural training for Indian call centers to make the ugly Americans more comfortable. Some (reportedly) go as far a picking an American name and city learning about American sports.

Another recent trend I've read about is called inshoring, where calls are being sent back to the US for support. There's a center going in near Cincy for this very purpose. Hillbillies == cheap labor. :gomer: ;) -Kevin
Cincy? Ha. Half the tech workforce in Columbus under the age of 25 worked for CallTech and then dropped out of College because they got an MCSE and found a job that go them out of there.

dando
01-02-08, 09:20 PM
Hmm. Plenty of press stories have talked about cultural training for Indian call centers to make the ugly Americans more comfortable. Some (reportedly) go as far a picking an American name and city learning about American sports.

Cincy? Ha. Half the tech workforce in Columbus under the age of 25 worked for CallTech and then dropped out of College because they got an MCSE and found a job that go them out of there.

Yes the trend is still towards offshoring, but many companies are trending back to the US, including Dell. And yes, I'm well aware of CallTech. The company was started by former CompuServe CEO Bob Massey, and benefited greatly when AOL bought CServe back in '98, and then dumped the 300+ local CSCS reps. The trend back then was outsourcing, and then became offshoring. Trust me, I've live the nightmare for the past 10+ years, including directing 50+ Indian contractors for the past 3 years. :\

-Kevin

stroker
01-02-08, 11:17 PM
Yeah, some advice.

I LOVE customers who blurt out "I've been a good customer of yours for years" and they've got exactly one sale for $45 dollars in their sales history. I don't give them a goddamned thing--and if I can I tag their account with an advisory that they've used up all the goodwill the company is going to give them and to follow policy to the letter.

Not that I have much discretion in the matter.

OW
01-03-08, 12:02 AM
They offered me the 19.95, but said they would have to dig right in to one of my ancient trees ROOTs....said see ya

Sean O'Gorman
01-03-08, 12:33 AM
I LOVE customers who blurt out "I've been a good customer of yours for years" and they've got exactly one sale for $45 dollars in their sales history. I don't give them a goddamned thing--and if I can I tag their account with an advisory that they've used up all the goodwill the company is going to give them and to follow policy to the letter.

Not that I have much discretion in the matter.

I once had a politically incorrect college professor who said once "the customer is always right, but there is no reason everyone needs to be your customer." Probably the best advice I've ever gotten when it comes to customer service.

Sean Malone
01-03-08, 12:38 AM
I once had a politically incorrect college professor who said once "the customer is always right, but there is no reason everyone needs to be your customer." Probably the best advice I've ever gotten when it comes to customer service.

So true. In my mid 20's I was a bar manager. On a weekly basis some drunk that I was literately throwing out the door would try a last ditch attempt to be allowed to stay by claiming "the customer is always right!". To which I would point to the sign that said we reserve the right not to serve anyone based on our own judgment. Micro-anarchy!

Insomniac
01-03-08, 09:46 AM
As long as we leave it at that I'll leave it at that.

This guy was definitely in the U.S. We talked about my OTA situation and he said he had family in Oklahoma and knew Nebraska was nowhere close to Wichita. I just thought the guy knew nothing about me. It could've turned into an argument real fast.

Insomniac
01-03-08, 09:48 AM
That's one of the issues we have with them as developers and/or quality engineers. They just don't think outside the box very well.

When you offshore work, don't you send off complete requirements? If so, don't you want them to strictly adhere to that? Or are they doing more design work now?

Insomniac
01-03-08, 09:51 AM
They offered me the 19.95, but said they would have to dig right in to one of my ancient trees ROOTs....said see ya

Why?

KLang
01-03-08, 10:13 AM
This guy was definitely in the U.S. We talked about my OTA situation and he said he had family in Oklahoma and knew Nebraska was nowhere close to Wichita. I just thought the guy knew nothing about me. It could've turned into an argument real fast.

Seems to me he probably won't be employed there for long. Sooner or later somebody will complain.

BTW, a hint for DishNetwork subscribers: When calling in select 'technical support' no matter what your reason for calling in. During the day you should reach a domestic service rep.

Insomniac
04-26-08, 11:55 AM
Can anyone tell me why DirecTV gives us MTV and VH1 HD when they broadcast NOTHING in HD? They pillar box everything. I mean, everything. They pillar box stuff they already letter boxed. Why can't they give us AMC HD? They have actual HD programming.

Ankf00
04-26-08, 02:54 PM
i say we change dando's title to "tech support"

:D

dando
04-26-08, 03:06 PM
i say we change dando's title to "tech support"

:D

Well, dats better than Kumar... :)

-Kevin

dando
04-26-08, 03:13 PM
When you offshore work, don't you send off complete requirements? If so, don't you want them to strictly adhere to that? Or are they doing more design work now?

I missed back when this thread was active. Requirements? Are you kidding me? :laugh: A couple of years ago, we were trying for CMMI 2 certification....since then we devolved to CMMI -2. :irked: The PRDs we were dealing with last summer were half-baked if they existed @ all. Agile development is the shizzle, yo. :saywhat: And yes, in the end, pretty much every part of the development process was sent offshore. The last pieces of the team I worked with on international portal development last year left the building on Friday. :( Bungleore now owns it all, and I'm guessing an implosion will occur shortly.

*sigh*

-Kevin

Sean O'Gorman
04-26-08, 06:13 PM
Can anyone tell me why DirecTV gives us MTV and VH1 HD when they broadcast NOTHING in HD? They pillar box everything. I mean, everything. They pillar box stuff they already letter boxed. Why can't they give us AMC HD? They have actual HD programming.

Would you prefer everything to be stretched like TBS"HD"? Can't you just zoom?

Insomniac
04-26-08, 08:28 PM
Would you prefer everything to be stretched like TBS"HD"? Can't you just zoom?

I'd prefer some actual HD programming and stuff that is letterboxed be stretched. I can zoom, but if it's pillar boxed letterboxed stuff I still have a pretty thick black border around it all. I just watch the SD one. I just don't get why they even bother with it and then not provide AMC HD.

Insomniac
04-26-08, 08:29 PM
I missed back when this thread was active. Requirements? Are you kidding me? :laugh: A couple of years ago, we were trying for CMMI 2 certification....since then we devolved to CMMI -2. :irked: The PRDs we were dealing with last summer were half-baked if they existed @ all. Agile development is the shizzle, yo. :saywhat: And yes, in the end, pretty much every part of the development process was sent offshore. The last pieces of the team I worked with on international portal development last year left the building on Friday. :( Bungleore now owns it all, and I'm guessing an implosion will occur shortly.

*sigh*

-Kevin

Must be real cheap considering all the re-work that is needed.

cameraman
04-28-08, 04:11 PM
Would you prefer everything to be stretched like TBS"HD"?

If it is stretched I ain't watching it.

Period

chop456
04-29-08, 01:43 AM
Can anyone tell me why DirecTV gives us MTV and VH1 HD when they broadcast NOTHING in HD?

So they can claim "the greatest number of HD channels", which is true, yet a lie.

Insomniac
04-29-08, 08:52 AM
So they can claim "the greatest number of HD channels", which is true, yet a lie.

Viacom puts the crap out there. They didn't do the same for Comedy Central though. And my main gripe is no AMC HD.

Sean O'Gorman
04-29-08, 09:06 AM
Comedy Central is one of those channels that is probably better off not being in HD. For some strange reason it is at the top of Stu's list of desired HD channels. :confused:

Insomniac
04-29-08, 01:08 PM
Comedy Central is one of those channels that is probably better off not being in HD. For some strange reason it is at the top of Stu's list of desired HD channels. :confused:

It's almost all that is left for me. (I can't think of any others I watch that aren't in HD now.)

dando
04-29-08, 01:48 PM

South Park in HD, yo. :gomer: Perhaps he wants The Man Show in HD? Does that show even exist anymore? I stopped watching when Rogan took over.

-Kevin

extramundane
06-04-08, 03:51 PM
Verizon FIOS techs just left the house, after a 4 hour install. I'd love to sign the praises of FIOS HD right now, except that the phone monkey who took my order failed to note that it was for HD. So instead of HD boxes w/ multi-room DVR, I've got 2 standard def set-top POSes sitting here. Techs aren't allowed to carry spare HD boxes, apparently, so now I've got to take a fistful of ativan and call Verizon to get it corrected. Techs also left the fiber cable just lying in the backyard, waiting to be mowed or tripped over :irked:

FIOS SD looks nicer than DirecTV SD though :gomer:

dando
06-04-08, 04:01 PM
Verizon FIOS techs just left the house, after a 4 hour install. I'd love to sign the praises of FIOS HD right now, except that the phone monkey who took my order failed to note that it was for HD. So instead of HD boxes w/ multi-room DVR, I've got 2 standard def set-top POSes sitting here. Techs aren't allowed to carry spare HD boxes, apparently, so now I've got to take a fistful of ativan and call Verizon to get it corrected. Techs also left the fiber cable just lying in the backyard, waiting to be mowed or tripped over

Gotta love it. Whether it's cable, telco or DBS: bend over and grab your ankles. :irked: Techs don't bury cable. Using a shovel would hurt their precious hands. They'll have another contractor bury it shortly. No worries. I'm sure the weeds will cover it up nicely in a few days. Plus, I sure it'll only be a week before they can come back out. :gomer: Enjoy watching the SD this weekend when it's close to 100. :saywhat: WTF happened to SPRING? :irked:

-Kevin

oddlycalm
06-04-08, 06:05 PM
Gotta love it. Whether it's cable, telco or DBS: bend over and grab your ankles. :irked:
All true, but at least when it gets sorted out extramundane will have the best HD picture and fastest internet service available at a price less than most people pay for mediocre and slow. Our only regret about moving is that we left the Verizon service area.

BTW, same thing here on the weather. We went from 59 to 101 in three days and four days after that we were back to 59...:yuck:

oc

dando
06-04-08, 06:38 PM
All true, but at least when it gets sorted out extramundane will have the best HD picture and fastest internet service available at a price less than most people pay for mediocre and slow. Our only regret about moving is that we left the Verizon service area.

BTW, same thing here on the weather. We went from 59 to 101 in three days and four days after that we were back to 59...

oc

True dat on the FIOS. Verizon did it right by plumbing fiber directly to the house. Uverse is a joke with one HD stream currently, and after I did some tweaking on the inlaw's computer a few weeks ago, I concluded that their DSL is abysmal. :irked: Locally Time Warner just rolled out a software upgrade that has caused some serious issues for many customers. Couple that with the BTN fiasco here in Buckeye country, AT&T launching "Advanced TV" (my @ss), and they are hurting pretty good around here. I work for 'em (not TWC) and I'm getting ready to dump their ****. :thumdown:

The weather has just been wacky this "spring"...we've been up and down all over the place, and the northeast just recently started to have their spring, only to have a heat wave break out. :saywhat: Mother Nature is either having serious PMS or has started menopause. :gomer: *ducks from lightning*

-Kevin

Ankf00
06-04-08, 07:59 PM
BTW, same thing here on the weather. We went from 59 to 101 in three days and four days after that we were back to 59...:yuck:

oc

nice n steady over here :D

Ankf00
06-04-08, 08:00 PM
Uverse is a joke with one HD stream currently, and after I did some tweaking on the inlaw's computer a few weeks ago, I concluded that their DSL is abysmal. :irked: -Kevin

2 HD feeds in Houston now. And I'll take any DSL over the Comcast & Time Warner i've had the past couple years :thumdown:

Sean O'Gorman
06-04-08, 09:25 PM
You can get 2 HD anywhere now, but its appearing at random. If you call tech support, sometimes they might activate it, sometimes they might. Sales you have better luck. I've had luck with neither, but I've read that people in my city have 2 HD. :mad:

dando
06-04-08, 09:56 PM
You can get 2 HD anywhere now, but its appearing at random. If you call tech support, sometimes they might activate it, sometimes they might. Sales you have better luck. I've had luck with neither, but I've read that people in my city have 2 HD. :mad:

Yo, I can't even get "Advanced TV" here now despite all of the marketing (SINCE DECEMBER). :laugh: SBC + AT&T == sucks :saywhat:

-Kevin

cameraman
06-04-08, 11:22 PM
You could live in Salt Lake where you get to choose between Comcast's digital cable internet where you get to share a 6 mbs cable with 100 of your nearest neighbors or Qwest's 3-7 mbs dsl which is closer to 3 given the 40 year old fraying wires that run up to your house:mad:

Elmo T
06-04-08, 11:37 PM
Verizon FIOS techs just left the house, after a 4 hour install. I'd love to sign the praises of FIOS HD right now, except :

Sorry to hear that - but we had great service from the techs. They even threw in extra HDMI and component cables at no charge.

The Verizon ON-Demand system still needs work, but otherwise it is sweet. The happiest day in my life was dropping off the Comcast boxes.

WickerBill
06-05-08, 07:12 AM
The happiest day in my life was dropping off the Comcast boxes.

I hate Comcast as much as the next guy, but that might be the saddest statement I've ever read....

Elmo T
06-05-08, 08:21 AM
I hate Comcast as much as the next guy, but that might be the saddest statement I've ever read....

A bit of hyperbole perhaps... Let me check again:

Birth of Children
Marriage
Son's pending graduation
Family vacations
Dumping Comcast

OK - not THE happiest day, but it makes the top 5. ;)

OT - for the FiOS folks - I've been having trouble with one of my HD boxes. Some mornings the box turns on, but there is no picture. It will then reset itself. Doesn't happen with the other boxes. Anything similar?

extramundane
06-05-08, 10:29 AM
Sorry to hear that - but we had great service from the techs. They even threw in extra HDMI and component cables at no charge.

The only issue I had with the techs was the draping of the fiber cable across the yard. I took a closer look today and there's very little slack (it runs about 125ft from the pole to my house), so I'm not sure how I'm going to arrange things. That they didn't tell me they were going to do it like that is what pisses me off. If, right up front, they'd said "Hey, we're gonna have 100ft+ of cable out here," I'd have started digging a trench and pulling up patio bricks or something. The actual setup/install went very well, aside from them not having been given the correct hardware.

The Verizon ON-Demand system still needs work, but otherwise it is sweet. The happiest day in my life was dropping off the Comcast boxes.

The Fios On Demand, from what I've seen so far, is far better than Comcast's. It took literally 60-90 seconds for anything to happen when a button was pushed on the Comcast system.

Elmo T
06-05-08, 10:38 AM
The Fios On Demand, from what I've seen so far, is far better than Comcast's. It took literally 60-90 seconds for anything to happen when a button was pushed on the Comcast system.

Mine is just the opposite. FiOS On Demand hangs up at times - something that happens to others in the area. Verizon has said it was a software issue and it has been better since they upgraded the onscreen menu.

All of our fiber is underground. The street box is on the opposite side of my driveway. To avoid going under the driveway, they trenched around the rear of my house, behind the kids' playset, to the opposite side of the house - all at no charge. The guys doing the interior work installed the equipment, they ran a CAT5 cable from the basement to the upstairs office for the internet. They even installed the wall outlet for the cable. Again at no charge.

JLMannin
06-05-08, 01:19 PM
SBC + AT&T == sucks :saywhat:

-Kevin

I can simplify your equation to AT&T == Sucks.

When I built my house here in Indy, AT&T could not tell me if my subdivision was in their area or not. The lady actually instructed me to call verizon and ask them because "they have better software". Verizon was able to tell me in mere seconds that, yes, infact, my area was AT&T.

Why, I still do not know, I actually called AT&T back and informed them that they did cover my area. After a couple of transfers, I finally got someone who could see my service area. When I asked what level of DSL service they could provide at my location, I was told that I would have to activate a land line first so they could test it. I asked if they could just test it at the box in my from yard.

No, testing has to be performed over a land line I really did not want for any other purpose than as a carrier for internet service.

I went with Comcast and have had no issues.

AT&T: activate our service, then we can test it to tell you just how bad it is. :shakehead:thumdown:

extramundane
06-11-08, 10:29 AM
Verizon FIOS techs just left the house, after a 4 hour install. I'd love to sign the praises of FIOS HD right now, except that the phone monkey who took my order failed to note that it was for HD. So instead of HD boxes w/ multi-room DVR, I've got 2 standard def set-top POSes sitting here. Techs aren't allowed to carry spare HD boxes, apparently, so now I've got to take a fistful of ativan and call Verizon to get it corrected. Techs also left the fiber cable just lying in the backyard, waiting to be mowed or tripped over :irked:

FIOS SD looks nicer than DirecTV SD though :gomer:

Proper boxes finally arrived yesterday and, after an 83-hour activation process, all's well. The FiOS HD picture quality seems immensely better than DirecTV HD, and the fact that FiOS has my locals in HD (where DirecTV didn't) is icing on the cake. The HD lineup is still rather meager, but aside from Speed, they have every channel I tend to watch, so no worries. The phone jockey claimed an expansion of offerings is in the works, but who knows.

And going from 768K internet that freaked out every time a squirrel coughed to steady 5M? Let's just say that if anyone has a good torrent source, I'm all ears. ;)

Sean O'Gorman
06-11-08, 01:06 PM
I know both FIOS and U-verse have claimed that they'll have 100 HD channels by the end of the year, so hopefully that'll be quite the knockout to mediocre cable. I had a flyer stuffed in my door yesterday from WOW, saying that they couldn't find my address in their records, and to call them if I wanted my service re-activated. Uhh, I canceled because I didn't want a seven year old STB and 10 HD channels, jackpipes. :gomer:

extramundane
06-11-08, 01:24 PM
I know both FIOS and U-verse have claimed that they'll have 100 HD channels by the end of the year, so hopefully that'll be quite the knockout to mediocre cable.

Alas, I think we're still stuck with cable as we know it for the foreseeable future.

Around here, there's been some resistance from apartment complexes and the like to FiOS--the battery backup install is too intrusive, they don't want techs drilling through exterior walls, etc. There's one large section of the 'burbs that's almost exclusively apt complexes, and Verizon has said they're not even going to bother running fiber from that CO anytime soon. :\

Sean O'Gorman
06-11-08, 01:28 PM
I saw on EngadgetHD that Comcast has been mailing fliers to residents in towns where U-Verse is coming in, showing the giant boxes that the are installing in neighborhoods, and TWC is running TV ads saying that Verizon's fiber technology is 10-20 years old. I'm willing to bet that those Directv ads showing the cable board meetings are probably pretty accurate.

nrc
06-11-08, 05:01 PM
Uhh, I canceled because I didn't want a seven year old STB and 10 HD channels, jackpipes. :gomer:

I'm quite happy with WOW's 27 HD channels and a brand new TiVo Series 3. There are probably three HD channels I'd still like to have, but TiVo is more important.

ChampcarShark
06-12-08, 03:31 PM
Why am I at work today??????

Cause it's hot outside.

Last week, 100 + most of the week and windy. This week close to 100. not as windy but breezy. Outside feels like somebody has the blow dryer on.

High risk of fire because of dry conditions, fireworks banned from the county, not only the city but the whole county, including Southeast New Mexico.

If we do not get any rain no fourth of july fireworks.

cameraman
06-12-08, 03:54 PM
It was 44°F this morning and it has warmed all the way up to 58°F right now:saywhat:
It is supposed to be 90°F by Sunday though.

That is what it seems this entire Spring has been, jumping back and forth between the 50s and the 90s:irked:

oddlycalm
06-12-08, 05:16 PM
There are probably three HD channels I'd still like to have, but TiVo is more important. Agreed, provider supplied DVR's aren't interesting to me.

I was just getting ready to pop some large hard drives in our S3's, both with lifetime service, and musing about how long it will take for the cable/satellite cartel to make them obsolete now that the cable/satellite companies have settled on the the new tru2way format with the TV manufacturers. I'd like to think we will see tru2way cable cards, but something tells me they will use this to try to challenge the cable card regulation. :shakehead

tru2way standard agreement (http://www.latimes.com/technology/la-fi-cable28-2008may28,0,3525057.story)

oc