PDA

View Full Version : Hazing at Glenbrook North High School

rabbit
05-08-03, 11:46 PM
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20030509/ap_on_re_us/high_school_hazing_18

Did you guys see the video from this? Holy cow! Maybe I just lived a sheltered childhood, but nothing like that ever went on where I went to school.
And now they think parents supplied the beer. :shakehead

chop456
05-08-03, 11:54 PM
That's where they filmed the school scenes in Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

And their Lacrosse teams sucked, too. :p

Napoleon
05-09-03, 11:11 AM
"RUMSFELD: U.S. ‘IN CONTROL’ OF TOUCH FOOTBALL GIRLS"

http://www.borowitzreport.com/

IlliniRacer
05-09-03, 12:59 PM
My favorite quote was from one of the girls doing the hazing: "So we split open a girl's head. Its not like she died or anything." The parents must be so proud

Kate
05-15-03, 07:31 AM
And I assume that is the same girl whose parents are blaming THE SCHOOL for "ruining [my daughter's] life" by suspending her for events that ought to have (and might still yet) landed her in jail. If I were the mother and father of the victims, I'd be preferring charges for assault and battery right this minute.

This kind of thing is very common in hockey in the lower eschelons, but doesn't normally happen in front of television cameras. Yet.

JLMannin
05-15-03, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by Kate
And I assume that is the same girl whose parents are blaming THE SCHOOL for "ruining [my daughter's] life" by suspending her for events that ought to have (and might still yet) landed her in jail.

I hear you and agree completely. What a rude awaking it will be for her the first time she is actually held accountable for her actions. :rolleyes:

The mother is the one "ruining her life" by shielding her from personal accountability for her actions. If the hazers are less than 18, I saw press charges against their parents - make them spend some of their precious cash defending themselves and they will reign in their kids. You got to hit them where it hurts, and for dual income suburbanites, that is their wallets.

WestMcLarenF1
05-15-03, 05:48 PM
On a related note. Did anyone hear about the 3-day party in suburban Chicago where the kids did $120,000 worth of damage while the family was in Cancun?

IlliniRacer
05-15-03, 06:24 PM
Its incidents like this and the parents reactions that make me think that all able bodied individuals between the ages of 18-25 have mandatory military or peace corps service. Two years military or three years in the peace corps. Their choice. Maybe learn a little responsibility and discipline along the way.

Kate
05-15-03, 11:33 PM
Since I am well over the age of 25, I am loathe to consign another generation to involuntary servitude. But I am in favour of bringing back the Catholic Schools of Old, with Sister Mary Himmler and her Pointer of Death -- and of the parents who warned their offspring, "If Sister Mary Himmler calls me about you, I will send YOU to a convent in France and you will STAY THERE until you are THIRTY!"

Society should not be forced to teach kids discipline and self respect. That is why the Lord gave them PARENTS. Of course somebody should have taught their parents discipline and sself respect first, apparently ... instead we got a whole generation of toddlers whose idea of freedom is to pull down their pants in public, shout dirty words in church, and put evrything they can reach into their mouths.

Sean O'Gorman
05-16-03, 12:19 AM
I think that those involved should not be allowed to graduate or try to get a GED so that they have to live with the consecquences of their stupidity for life.

Lizzerd
05-16-03, 03:22 AM
I thinks that's a bit harsh, SOG. Really. I had to go through a ration of nonsense too (but non violent) to get into an Animal House-like frat in college. I endured much the same and worse for a WEEK, albeit without the beatings, and I'm not a bit traumatized by it now.

RaceChic
05-16-03, 10:48 AM
Lizzerd, I love ya, but I'll never get the initiation/hazing thing. I think that condoning that kind of nonsense is no better than the bullies in grade school. These are just "organized" events and justified as some kind of acceptable behaviour towards the junior crowd by the more "seasoned" older gang. It's like pouring booze down their throats during initiation. It is careless and can lead to severe repurcussions. I have seen many a young person in the ER when I worked there that had alcohol poisoning. One even died because they aspirated into their lungs. I think it is wrong and condones behaviour towards others that would be deemed "unacceptable" in the real world...... :shakehead :shakehead :shakehead

Lizzerd
05-16-03, 12:24 PM
I didn't say I condoned it. Nor am I defending it. But not allowing them to graduate is a bit harsh as punishment.

TrueBrit
05-16-03, 01:49 PM
I know that my daugther is smart enough not to get involved in something as stupid as this, but I will tell you this...If ANYONE treated my daughter the way some of those girls were treated they would have bigger issues to deal with than not being able to graduate..like learning how to eat with a straw and re-learning how to walk...:flame:

TB

RaceChic
05-16-03, 02:00 PM
What they did is also EXTREMELY harsh..............
I don't think that the girl that was the victim of this situation would think that anything was too harsh. She will have to deal with the emotional and physical repercussions of this for a long time to come. It's not a case of just the cuts healing. I'm sure these were people she knew and probably considered "friends". She was a junior and surely all keen, new and eager as well as thrilled at the idea of pledging a sorority. She never even saw this coming. And imagine....it was premeditated....... They thought and planned this for a while. It was no spontaneous moment........:flame: :flame: :flame:

Lizzerd
05-16-03, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by Lizzerd
I thinks that's a bit harsh, SOG. Really. I had to go through a ration of nonsense too (but non violent) to get into an Animal House-like frat in college. I endured much the same and worse for a WEEK, albeit without the beatings, and I'm not a bit traumatized by it now.

I should expand on this... No alcohol was involved (by the hazees) and no physical violence or pain (except for the physical exertion) was involved, either. And the worst of it only lasted the last 48 hours straight.

Kate
05-20-03, 12:30 PM
On the other hand, this kind of contemptable behaviour is being ruled illegal on university campuses and in sports teams all across the United States, and in some cases is resulting in suspension of the fraternity or organization involved.

Which begs the question: when getting drunk and beating up younger kids became abnormal in universities, how did it become normal in high schools?

Tim
05-20-03, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by WestMcLarenF1
On a related note. Did anyone hear about the 3-day party in suburban Chicago where the kids did $120,000 worth of damage while the family was in Cancun?

You'd never believe how far word spread about that party.