PDA

View Full Version : Champcars at Brands Hatch official

WickerBill
01-09-03, 09:22 AM
http://www.cart.com/News/Article.asp?ID=5366

RTKar
01-09-03, 09:27 AM
The 1.2 mile track????? Isn't that the shortened version...that's not good if it is.

cart7
01-09-03, 09:29 AM
from the article:

The London Super Prix promises to be the most exciting race weekend of the British motorsport calendar, combining the turbocharged fury of the Champ Cars with the wheel-to-wheel battles of the British Touring Car Championship. The racing program, which headlines with the Champ Cars, is supported by the second round of the BTCC, which is the premier British saloon and production car race series. Off the track, the race weekend will be the perfect family day out with a host of attractions to appeal to all ages.

Great idea packaging it with the established BTCC. Where's that thumbs up emoticon when you need it.

:D

mnkywrch
01-09-03, 09:30 AM
Should be interesting... too bad they can't use the "full" circuit.

http://circuits.octagonmotorsports.com/images/circuit/map/1.jpg

It's almost a glorified oval...

Warlock!
01-09-03, 10:21 AM
Do they still use the full circuit for anything? This will be CART's answer to Nascar's Bristol. Bout 175 laps then?

Winter Warlock!

Gurneyflap
01-09-03, 10:27 AM
The short course. Why did I know they'd do that! I am disappointed, but I still wish them success. No CART oval should be shorter than 1 mi. or longer than 2mi. No CART street circuit should be shorter than 2 miles, and no CART road course should be shorter than 2.5 miles...or longer than 4.0! At 1.2 miles this track is too short!

Napoleon
01-09-03, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by RTKar
The 1.2 mile track????? Isn't that the shortened version...that's not good if it is.

No it is not

RaceGrrl
01-09-03, 10:49 AM
Any ideas why they'd use the short course? It doesn't make sense- it certainly won't showcase what's best about the ChampCars.

OMG- did I just make a D&G post? Kill me now.

mnkywrch
01-09-03, 10:50 AM
It's got what, five corners?

That would explain the "Super Prix" title...

Didn't the HSP circuit have about five turns?

chop456
01-09-03, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by mnkywrch
It's almost a glorified oval...

It ought be right up your alley then. ;)

I'll take what I can get, and pairing it with the BTCC is fantastic. If we could get the BTCC on Speed THAT weekend - even better.

chop456
01-09-03, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by Gurneyflap
no CART road course should be shorter than 2.5 miles...or longer than 4.0!

Ideally, somewhere around 4.048 with 14 turns. :D

Warlock!
01-09-03, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by RaceGrrl
Any ideas why they'd use the short course? It doesn't make sense- it certainly won't showcase what's best about the ChampCars.
All that I can figure is that the short course is what they ran before, and Brands even went so far as to name it the "Indy" circuit (obviously incorrect now). Sux considering what it coulda been, but still should be a blast to watch.

Winter Warlock!

cart7
01-09-03, 11:08 AM
One things for sure, with even 18 cars and a track that short, you'll have cars in contact with one another constantly forcing people to have to pass.

Gurneyflap
01-09-03, 11:08 AM
Damn...they're still calling it the "Indy Circuit" (the short course).

Gurneyflap
01-09-03, 11:10 AM
Yeah, but it's that "in CONTACT" part of your statement that I don't like.

cart7
01-09-03, 11:11 AM
Hmm... maybe I should rephrase that?:D

mnkywrch
01-09-03, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by cart7
One things for sure, with even 18 cars and a track that short, you'll have cars in contact with one another constantly forcing people to have to pass.

That's true...

The first two corners will be cool, don't get me wrong... but I'd love to see ChampCars head down the hill towards Hawthorne.

mnkywrch
01-09-03, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by Warlock!
All that I can figure is that the short course is what they ran before, and Brands even went so far as to name it the "Indy" circuit (obviously incorrect now). Sux considering what it coulda been, but still should be a blast to watch.

Maybe the "long course" doesn't meet the safety specs...

Gurneyflap
01-09-03, 11:21 AM
My understanding is the long course is under repair/construction in preparation for the Superbike race later in the season and CART will use the full course NEXT year? I sure hope so!

pchall
01-09-03, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Gurneyflap
My understanding is the long course is under repair/construction in preparation for the Superbike race later in the season and CART will use the full course NEXT year? I sure hope so!

It seems like CART is making the best of it in trying to keep a race date in front of the English fans. A CART/BTCC weekend ought to be a pretty good draw and a decent way of building a relationship with British fans and with the owners of Brands Hatch.

TrueBrit
01-09-03, 11:33 AM
The only problem is that the BTTC races at Brands in June and August NOT May according to the Brands Hatch website...Regardless I will be there..CART, PROPER BEER, fabulous English May weather (the rain will be warm at least)..Should be fun..Anyone need a room?? On May 5th the BTTC is scheduled to be at Thruxton....:confused:

mnkywrch
01-09-03, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by chop456
It ought be right up your alley then. ;)

Naw - they're going the wrong way. :D

TrueBrit
01-09-03, 11:59 AM
Okay, it looks as if the BTTC is re-scheduling the Thruxton date to accomomdate the CART race at Brands..suh-weet!!

See you there!!!

damiandoan
01-09-03, 04:59 PM
I'm ready to give this race my early vote for best of the year after veiwing the video from the other thread http://www.offcamber.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=148

DD

damiandoan
01-09-03, 05:14 PM
Judging from the date, the race will be on a Monday? May 5th? :confused:

DD

Turn7
01-09-03, 05:20 PM
Hopefully somebody fat fingered the keyboard and typed the 5th instead of the 4th.

:confused:

rabbit
01-09-03, 05:24 PM
It's short, but at least it's flowing, unlike Miami. :shakehead Is it possible that the decision to go with the short course has anything to do with the BTCC being there also? Is it difficult, in terms of conversion, to run both the short and long courses in the same weekend?

I think it'll be fun. I love the BTCC and would love to see them both together in person. Alas, work will probably have me in Indy.:gomer:

mnkywrch
01-09-03, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by Turn7
Hopefully somebody fat fingered the keyboard and typed the 5th instead of the 4th.

:confused:

Autosport.com says that May 3rd -5th is a Bank Holiday.

TrueBrit
01-09-03, 06:15 PM
Yup it is May 3rd through May 5th..Monday MayDay Bank Holiday...Looking forward to it!!

Gurneyflap
01-09-03, 06:37 PM
So, what's the "feature" race going to be?

Joe in LA
01-10-03, 12:18 PM
This is truely depressing. They are flying to England and holding an event at a GREAT (imho) circuit, but using the short "Indy" course?:cry:

I hope the event is good, but I wonder (perhaps some of the Brits can comment) on the impression using the short circuit will have. Seems like that would be used for lesser or amateur events.

JoeBob
01-10-03, 12:42 PM
Here's an interesting article with Bryan Herta's views (he's driven that circuit before)

http://www.speedtv.com/auto/?lvl=3a&cat=20&id=4683

TrueBrit
01-10-03, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by Joe in LA
This is truely depressing. They are flying to England and holding an event at a GREAT (imho) circuit, but using the short "Indy" course?:cry:

I hope the event is good, but I wonder (perhaps some of the Brits can comment) on the impression using the short circuit will have. Seems like that would be used for lesser or amateur events.

They raced on the same layout the last time they were there..Besides, all the 'tuned-in' fans will know about the work being done on the GP track..And believe me, they'll love seeing world class open-wheel competition without having to take out a second mortgage or sell one of the kids to afford tickets...

Cheers!! Pip!! Pip!!

TrueBrit

pchall
01-10-03, 10:55 PM
β€œIt would be fun to drive at Brands Hatch, especially on the Indy Circuit. Paddock Hill Bend in one of those [champcars] would be amazing. 180 mph – no problem!”

-- Darren Manning

I'd love to be there to see that!

Gurneyflap
01-11-03, 12:36 PM
About that 2nd mortgage kid-selling thing? I don't think I'll be making the St. Pete race. Some irrational fear about actually keeping my job. Maybe NEXT year, though!