PDA

View Full Version : Scott Speed survives lobotomy

G.
09-20-07, 05:47 PM
but obviously suffers much damage.;)

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/oval/40424/

Red Bull motorsports guru Helmut Marko indicated last month that the enegry drinks company was willing to help smooth the way for its former F1 driver Scott Speed into NASCAR, and the company has now followed through with a deal to place the ex-Toro Rosso driver in Eddie Sharp Racing’s No. 21 Red Bull Toyota in the ARCA RE/MAX Series.

Speed, who has never raced on an oval of any kind, will be dropped in at the deep end, with his first race due to come Oct. 5 at Talladega Superspeedway– the same race in which IndyCar Series champion Dario Franchitti is tipped to make his stock car debut for Chip Ganassi.

spinner26
09-20-07, 06:14 PM
this would be like coming outa the birth canal and the doctor dropping you on your head. Hope he can bounce back.:rofl:

cameraman
09-20-07, 06:14 PM
ARCA is the "deep end"???
:saywhat:

DagoFast
09-20-07, 06:17 PM
Nascar needed another ex-F1 shoe to keep the parity with ex-fi-hunnert winners.

Indy
09-20-07, 07:33 PM
F1 to ARCA? He should turn that down out of self respect.

Spicoli
09-20-07, 08:03 PM

depends on your gomer quotient, sir. :tony:

extramundane
09-20-07, 08:09 PM
I'd say a lobotomy is a much safer venture than a superspeedway ARCA race. At least the head wound is intentional.

Sean Malone
09-20-07, 08:56 PM

Stock cars take more skill to pilot than any other type of racing machine, regardless of stock car series.

That's what NASCAR and the media tell me.

emjaya
09-21-07, 08:23 AM
What other options has he? The reality is none and NASCAR is increasingly being seen as a respecable place to go racing. :rolleyes:

Warlock!
09-21-07, 08:25 AM

As far as on-track lunacy is concerned, yes. Especially at 'Dega.

Ziggy
09-21-07, 08:45 AM
He and Dashly will be taking part in the same test session :tony:

Speed has a contract with Red Bull, who demanded and procured the test.

They could send him to Monster Trucks if they wanted too :eek:

Wheel-Nut
09-21-07, 09:39 AM

I read it as them meaning 'dega is the deep end. Speed has never raced on an oval!!

Wheel-Nut
09-21-07, 09:41 AM
Does Red Bull mix well with Budwieser?

Sean Malone
09-21-07, 10:05 AM
Red bull is the title sponsor of an air racing series. I caught the Istanbul (not Constantinople) race last weekend. It was pretty wild for about five minutes until I got bored. Single runs through a course over a river against the clock.

Maybe Scott can learn to fly in a few days.

Accipiter
09-21-07, 10:37 AM
Sucks!

If they plan to run him in Cup next year, he needs to have "superspeedway experience" before NASCAR will let him attempt to qualify for the Daytona 500. That's why Franchitti is supposed to be in this race too, and why Montoya was in it last year.

Also, if they plan to run Speed in Cup next year, you have to think that Allmendinger's days with the team are numbered.

KLang
09-21-07, 10:44 AM
Also, if they plan to run Speed in Cup next year, you have to think that Allmendinger's days with the team are numbered.

I'd like to see AJ come back to Champ Car. We need a villain. :laugh:

Fio1
09-21-07, 12:26 PM
Hey if he qualifies 19th and finishes 12th, then that would mean that ARCA and F1 are equal right? So, maybe McLaren will sign Frank Kimmel to replace Alonso! :rofl: :saywhat: :laugh:

extramundane
09-21-07, 12:41 PM
Hey if he qualifies 19th and finishes 12th, then that would mean that ARCA and F1 are equal right? So, maybe McLaren will sign Frank Kimmel to replace Alonso! :rofl: :saywhat: :laugh:

Only if Kimmel brings his sponsor

http://www.racewaymagazine.com/March%202005/ARCA/Pork.jpg

Pork McLaren Mercedes has nice ring to it.

pchall
09-21-07, 12:45 PM
Red bull is the title sponsor of an air racing series. I caught the Istanbul (not Constantinople) race last weekend. It was pretty wild for about five minutes until I got bored. Single runs through a course over a river against the clock.

Maybe Scott can learn to fly in a few days.

Red Bull air racing sucks. If they had any balls it would be a closed course for 5 or 10 laps with multiple aircraft in each heat.

RichK
09-21-07, 01:23 PM
Pork McLaren Mercedes has nice ring to it.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Fio1
09-21-07, 03:05 PM
I don't know man, but I don't think Pork the Other White Meat will look too good on Hamilton's car. :eek: But then again, Pork and Johhny Walker has a nice tone to it. This is the kind of cross marketing that may bring F1 to, say Talladega in 2009. ;)

Oh, and will they let Kimmel have #46 in F1?

extramundane
09-21-07, 04:28 PM
Oh, and will they let Kimmel have #46 in F1?

Well, McLaren is going to be finishing roughly 23rd in the team standings this year...

Dave99
09-21-07, 08:01 PM
Stock cars take more skill to pilot than any other type of racing machine, regardless of stock car series.

That's what NASCAR and the media tell me.
Perhaps if Nascar removed that burdensome power steering, it would make the cars easier to drive. :gomer:

emjaya
09-22-07, 06:09 AM

I always thought AJ was only ever a sacrificial lamb. Toyota are using him as someone for the fans to hate until Toyota gets their car sorted out and then they'll dump him. :\

opinionated ow
09-22-07, 09:02 AM
I always thought AJ was only ever a sacrificial lamb. Toyota are using him as someone for the fans to hate until Toyota gets their car sorted out and then they'll dump him. :\

hence him driving chip's busch car lately (and much better than his s@#$ toyota cup ride)

FTG
09-22-07, 01:52 PM
I don't think Pork the Other White Meat will look too good on Hamilton's car

"Pork, the one you love" would look great.

TKGAngel
09-27-07, 06:37 AM
Sounds like Speed made a great first impression at his ARCA test yesterday.

“In open-wheel racing, you always have someone on the team who buckles you into your seat. I got into my seat today waiting for someone to buckle me in and then after awhile realized I was supposed to buckle myself in. I’m not used to bringing my own helmet to the car either!

“[But] the most surprising thing is that I just don’t dress like these people yet. I got harassed by some of the ARCA officials for my shorts – which I wasn’t supposed to be wearing in the garage – and for my hat because it’s what Europe would call high fashion, but I guess it’s not considered that here...”

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/oval/40552/

devilmaster
09-27-07, 10:23 AM
Sounds like Speed made a great first impression at his ARCA test yesterday.

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/oval/40552/

I guess we're in Kansas now, Toto. ;)

Methanolandbrats
09-27-07, 10:40 AM
Pork...The Other Pink Meat

ferrarigod
09-27-07, 06:39 PM
new book out from simon and schuster:

how to win friends and influence people.

by scott speed.

have fun in arca.:rofl:

Spicoli
09-27-07, 08:51 PM
on a fan friendly note, most everything at the Scott Speed Store is half price or better! :thumbup:

http://scottspeed.webstore.us.com/products_new.php?page=1

Methanolandbrats
09-27-07, 10:34 PM
Imagine the shock of going from living in Switzerland and the World of Formula One to hanging out in an ARCA garage :rofl:

Spicoli
09-27-07, 11:25 PM
Imagine the shock of going from living in Switzerland and the World of Formula One to hanging out in an ARCA garage :rofl:

Maybe someday he'll race against O'Gorman in the JC Penny parking lot!

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:tony:

Fio1
09-28-07, 01:34 AM
The irony of the deal is that Scott Speed grew up in Manteca California, which is pretty much a hick town in Northern California and now racing in redneckville, he gets bagged on for dressing like a eurogay? :rofl: