PDA

View Full Version : Laguna Seca Race in May 2008

pchall
09-20-07, 04:59 AM
http://www.laguna-seca.com/pressreleases/index.cfm?ID=350 click latest news

MONTEREY, Calif. (September 19, 2007) – The 2008 season at the world-renowned Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca will feature the best in motorcycle, historic, sports car and, after a three-year hiatus, open-wheel racing, on the 2.238-mile Monterey Peninsula circuit.

The 52nd season of racing officially kicks off May 16-18, with the new Monterey Festival of Speed, a doubleheader weekend featuring the Grand-Am Rolex Sports Car Series on Saturday and the Champ Car World Series on Sunday. The event will mark the fourth consecutive year for Grand-Am’s Daytona Prototype and GT cars in Monterey, while the Champ Cars are returning after a three-year absence.

So much for keeping the Month of May open.

I wonder what other race(s) might wind up scheduled at the beginning and/or end of the month?

chop456
09-20-07, 05:29 AM
Grand Am again? :yuck:

opinionated ow
09-20-07, 05:54 AM
something tells me that date will change 54 times

jonovision_man
09-20-07, 07:22 AM
No point in keeping May open, nobody is doing the one-off now.

With the new IRL team assistance package the Indy one-off makes no sense. If you're running Indy, you might as well run the season and pocket the $1.3M extra... learn more about the cars over the rest of the races so you can be competitive at Indy.

jono

pchall
09-20-07, 07:31 AM
No point in keeping May open, nobody is doing the one-off now.

With the new IRL team assistance package the Indy one-off makes no sense. If you're running Indy, you might as well run the season and pocket the $1.3M extra... learn more about the cars over the rest of the races so you can be competitive at Indy.

jono

Keeping May open has been a stupid move all along. They always should have been racing twice in May and making lots of noise while the crapwagons practiced take offs and landings.

Insomniac
09-20-07, 09:52 AM
It's still open enough for a one-off. No one was going to qualify in the first group. It's a 500 mile race, doesn't matter so much if you start at the back. They had no chance of winning in the first place.

NismoZ
09-20-07, 09:54 AM
"If you are running Indy you might as well run the season..." Don't you think that was a big part of this latest vision in the first place?

robot9000
09-20-07, 10:13 AM
Exact opposite. Run Indy and all you have to beat is Sarah, IV, Roth, etc. Get a good top 20 finish and walk away with almost a $1M AND you get to tell sponsors, "Yeah, you'll be at Indy!".

Anyone see the new Visa ad's? Where they show eveyone humming along using credit cards and the whole thing comes to a screeching halt when one guy uses Cash?

Brilliant Marketing! Because its total ********! It is absolutily slower to pay with a credit card. But forget the truth, market the exact opposite! How many people do you think buy into that? A ton I bet! Eveyone remembers the correogrophy (sp? I hacked that up. You know, the movement...) and the name VISA. Nobody pays attention to the fact nobody is waiting for little slips to print out and look for a pen and sign and get the seond reciept to print....

Use the same thing for Indy. Yeah we run Indy!! We ran Indy for ever! Hell, I remember the Spin and Win when WE ran it back in 198x (I don't remembrer the year :o ) Turn the truth on his head. Nobody will question. And it gets you the ONLY race on the OW schedule that anyone gives a darn about.

And gawd those Grand Am cars are fugly.

RichK
09-20-07, 11:33 AM