PDA

View Full Version : $1 Canadian = $0.99 US...

jonovision_man
09-19-07, 01:24 PM
... and still climbing! We'll be at par in a week or two, if not sooner, and analysts are predicting $1.05US per loonie in the coming months.

It wasn't that long ago we were only getting $0.61...

Loonie power!!! :D

jono

cameraman
09-19-07, 01:29 PM
So much for going to Vancouver any time soon:shakehead

Ankf00
09-19-07, 01:32 PM
whiskey. tango. foxtrot.

devilmaster
09-19-07, 01:33 PM
whiskey. tango. foxtrot.

INT Church pennant ;)

I should be loving this, but its so hard to get across anymore that it really isn't worth the time and effort to enjoy the equal dollar.

swift
09-19-07, 01:37 PM
its killing my employer! we're net exporters! the high canadian dollar makes our products less (price-)competitive... :D :D

Ankf00
09-19-07, 01:48 PM
I should be loving this, but its so hard to get across anymore that it really isn't worth the time and effort to enjoy the equal dollar.

sailboat. :)

dando
09-19-07, 02:39 PM
So much for going to Vancouver any time soon:shakehead

Yeah, I was in Frankfurt for a day last month....the EU conversion is a biotch. :(

-Kevin

extramundane
09-19-07, 03:01 PM
I suspect this is a side-effect of Jacques Villeneuve's newfound Truck career.

TKGAngel
09-19-07, 03:34 PM

I doubt devilmaster wants to make acquaintance with the friendly folks of the border patrol. :)

eiregosod
09-19-07, 03:41 PM
greenspin sez that the dollar is toast. and Hank poulsen <cough> goldman sachs <cough> needs more money from the US congress.

eiregosod
09-19-07, 03:51 PM
Yeah, I was in Frankfurt for a day last month....the EU conversion is a biotch. :(

-Kevin

and I thought going to Germany for a few days was not a big hit in the pocket :eek:

Wheel-Nut
09-19-07, 04:06 PM

Sailboat?? wiskey tango foxtrot . . . .

DM needs a rumrunner.

http://www.vintageraceboatshop.com/images/NHVintageRegatta-2007/JS78WHEELING06.jpg

oddlycalm
09-19-07, 08:25 PM
I've seen the pendulum swing both ways, the cycles just take a few decades.

BTW DM, you may have to wait to penetrate the border condom but the boatloands of crap we don't need arriving every day from China don't face similar scrutiny, so we've got plenty. I'll save some for you....:cool:

oc

devilmaster
09-19-07, 10:06 PM
actually, I might just have to make it. Someone tonite reminded me the one real steal for canadians right now. Books.

I think a borders books run is in the works. save a tonne that way. Plus a gameworks or dave and busters run in there too. :)

JohnHKart
09-20-07, 12:57 AM

-Kevin

Yes, painful. Was there in Germany July 30-Aug 3rd....and that is my favorite place to vacation and of course there was the obigatory 10 laps on the Nurburgring. I think I'm still paying off that trip.

John

coolhand
09-20-07, 03:12 AM
Even when the dollar was stronger Germany was still a rip off. $60 breakfasts at hotels. $40 for parking. And calling back to the states was a rip off.

In the old days they would block calling cards etc. So some people came up with a thing where you would call the US and tell this service who you wanted to call. Then hang up and they would call you and link you up. The German government began to find out that inbound traffic went up but around that time calling got cheaper and now we have cell phones and VOIP.

jonovision_man
09-20-07, 07:25 AM
its killing my employer! we're net exporters! the high canadian dollar makes our products less (price-)competitive... :D :D

Yeah, but my next trip to the U.S. is going to be like going to Mexico! :D

jono

Indy
09-20-07, 09:29 AM
Insane US policies = Indy no travel. :mad:

KLang
09-20-07, 09:51 AM
Insane US policies = Indy no travel. :mad:

Can you explain which US policy you mean without going all political?

DagoFast
09-20-07, 10:39 AM

BTW DM, you may have to wait to penetrate the border condom but the boatloands of crap we don't need arriving every day from China don't face similar scrutiny, so we've got plenty. I'll save some for you....:cool:

oc

Careful! You almost exposed why the dollar is so weak.

Indy
09-20-07, 10:43 AM
Can you explain which US policy you mean without going all political?

No. :)

G.
09-20-07, 11:02 AM
No. :)related to a Felony conviction??:p

OT, cool jono, come on down and pay more for our China-made, lead-containing crap.

chop456
09-20-07, 11:18 AM
its killing my employer! we're net exporters!

The market for nets ain't what it used to be.

Now that a Can$ equals a real dollar, can you people please get rid of that metric nonsense?

devilmaster
09-20-07, 11:41 AM
Now that a Can$ equals a real dollar, can you people please get rid of that metric nonsense?

[german accent]What is this? The time of Charlemange?[/german accent]

;)

eiregosod
09-20-07, 11:50 AM

In 1999/2000 the dollar was strong. it'll keep going through the cycles.

Ankf00
09-20-07, 12:20 PM
all I know is if I maintain my usual spending habits this year at the Canuckistani GP, I'll be filing for bankruptcy.

jonovision_man
09-20-07, 01:00 PM
It's $1CDN =$1US today:

http://www.thestar.com/Business/article/258668

jono

devilmaster
09-21-07, 06:04 AM
Its such a big news item in Windsor/Detroit that it was the lead story on NBC 4 News at 11 pm.

Don't know what their ratings were after that lead story..... All you people who rave about HD.... I think I've found a good reason NOT to have it. :rofl:

wljeTbIy4NQ

;)

Sean Malone
09-21-07, 08:22 AM
Does this mean the threat of a Canadian invasion has subsided?

Wheel-Nut
09-21-07, 09:43 AM
How do you keep them whiskers out of the pie?? :laugh:

Andrew Longman
09-21-07, 10:43 AM
actually, I might just have to make it. Someone tonite reminded me the one real steal for canadians right now. Books.

I think a borders books run is in the works. save a tonne that way. Plus a gameworks or dave and busters run in there too. :)

Maximize your trip. Bring some prescription drugs with you to sell.

Amazing that just a few years ago there was a strong movement in Canada to adopt the US dollar. Given our determination to run huge deficits and carry massive unfunded liabilies, maybe the US will soon be looking to "go loonie" :)

eiregosod
09-21-07, 11:20 AM
Maximize your trip. Bring some prescription drugs with you to sell.

Amazing that just a few years ago there was a strong movement in Canada to adopt the US dollar. Given our determination to run huge deficits and carry massive unfunded liabilies, maybe the US will soon be looking to "go loonie" :)

the Amero coming to a wallet near you.

Wonder how it all will shake out, the furriners won't be exchanging goods for worthless greenbacks in the future.

devilmaster
09-21-07, 11:23 AM

Them's called flavor crystals. :D :gomer: ;)

eiregosod
09-21-07, 11:39 AM
Its such a big news item in Windsor/Detroit that it was the lead story on NBC 4 News at 11 pm.

Don't know what their ratings were after that lead story..... All you people who rave about HD.... I think I've found a good reason NOT to have it. :rofl:

wljeTbIy4NQ

;)

it's all relative,

G.
09-21-07, 04:31 PM

wljeTbIy4NQ

;)That ain't pizza. I know pizza, and that ain't pizza!

:laugh:

emjaya
09-22-07, 06:20 AM
Keeping dropping Yankee dollar, Wife informs me she's flying to Kentucky next year. :eek: :D

RaceGrrl
09-22-07, 11:35 AM

http://www.abcsafetymart.com/clothing/877.jpg

:D

Brickman
09-22-07, 12:09 PM
NASCAR dollar conspiracy. Sells more tickets to Canadians, fills empty seats.

devilmaster
09-22-07, 11:46 PM
http://www.abcsafetymart.com/clothing/877.jpg

:D

I'll have to try that. Since we work in the front window of the restaurant, I'm sure that'll ensure I have an easy night always. :D

jonovision_man
11-12-07, 09:51 AM
$1CDN now buys you about $1.05US... it was briefly flirting with $1.10US but has pulled back a bit (thankfully!).

Which means that $1US now only gets you about 95 cents Canadian...

jono

Methanolandbrats
11-12-07, 10:13 AM
With the dollar cratering and $100 oil, we're getting closer to a nasty cycle of commodity based inflation.

TKGAngel
11-12-07, 10:14 AM
I was at the mall this weekend, and it was packed with Canadians. Walking back to my car, there were at least three Ontario plates for every NY plate. The parking lots and restrooms at the mall were a mess, as some people were dumping the bags and boxes from their purchases, so they wouldn't have to pay the duty when they crossed the bridge. Our largest mall reported in yesterday's paper that they had to hire 15 extra people just to handle the trash alone.

The currency drop may be bad in the long term, but its good for our local economy, as its pumping sales tax revenues into the local coffers, just when the county's portion of the bill on the Bills new jumbotron is due.

jonovision_man
11-12-07, 10:34 AM
The parking lots and restrooms at the mall were a mess, as some people were dumping the bags and boxes from their purchases, so they wouldn't have to pay the duty when they crossed the bridge. Our largest mall reported in yesterday's paper that they had to hire 15 extra people just to handle the trash alone.

Sorry aboot that, eh? ;)

The currency drop may be bad in the long term, but its good for our local economy, as its pumping sales tax revenues into the local coffers, just when the county's portion of the bill on the Bills new jumbotron is due.

LOL! :D Apparently more than 10% of the Bills crowd is Canucks as well. They're going to play some games up here in Toronto next year, not sure of all the details though.

jono

TKGAngel
11-12-07, 11:57 AM
LOL! :D Apparently more than 10% of the Bills crowd is Canucks as well. They're going to play some games up here in Toronto next year, not sure of all the details though.

jono

I think the goal is to have one pre-season and one regular season game played up in Toronto. Which is getting the natives restless that the Bills are going to move to Toronto when Mr. Wilson departs this world.

jonovision_man
11-12-07, 08:09 PM
I think the goal is to have one pre-season and one regular season game played up in Toronto. Which is getting the natives restless that the Bills are going to move to Toronto when Mr. Wilson departs this world.

I really hope not... I love going to Buffalo to see the Bills, the atmosphere is really awesome. Love the tail-gating thing, Toronto would kill that (no outdoor parking around Skydome, only condos and underground parkades. :p)

The NFL is American, beautifully American, I love it and it should stay where it is.

jono