PDA

View Full Version : Dallara buys Doran's Crapotype constructor's licensing

pchall
09-16-07, 03:45 PM
http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/grandam/40256/

Following on Lola Cars' taking over of the Multimatic licensing:

Dallara has purchased a Grand-Am constructor’s license from current series chassis constructor Doran Enterprises.

The last I heard about Dallara's interest in building Daytona Crapotypes was that Grand Am chassis development and supply rules required that they buy an existing program and can only improve on that chassis until new specs are issued. Grand-Am regulations allow, however, totally new body for all constructors to compete next season.

So, Dallara has been working on this car for 2008:

http://www.ml3design.com/images/vir2006.jpg

[bill-the-cat]Ackk!!![/bill-the-cat]

Arguably a one-bagger in a field full of two-baggers. Can Dallara make that greenhouse any less awkward? Actually, the whole thing needs work from the cowl line back.

Can either Dallara or Lola actually make a good looking car out of those regulations?

cameraman
09-16-07, 04:05 PM
It is up to the twits who run GA to come up with a set of specs that will allow a manufacturer to make a DP that isn't butt ugly. The manufacturers are not blind as a bat, they are forced to meet the spec.

And where is RHR_Fan? One of the three drivers of yesterday's race winning, gray primer painted & totally unsponsored #19 Pontiac Riley was none other than Ryan Hunter-Reay.

Oh yeah,

Justin Wilson was 10th
Jimmy Vasser was 8th
Ryan Dalziel was 2nd

extramundane
09-16-07, 04:57 PM
The last I heard about Dallara's interest in building Daytona Crapotypes was that Grand Am chassis development and supply rules required that they buy an existing program and can only improve on that chassis until new specs are issued. Grand-Am regulations allow, however, totally new body for all constructors to compete next season.

I'm just glad that the Doran I bought in 2003 is still going to be legal and competitive in 2012. :gomer:

BTW, does the phrase "Tube-frame M6" make anyone else want to take a hostage?

Methanolandbrats
09-16-07, 05:19 PM
That DP looks like a pickup cab grafted on a Spec Renault. Then they bolted on a JC Whitney Wing. Could have been "designed" in twenty minutes with a drill and sawzall.

manic mechanic
09-21-07, 04:42 PM
That DP looks like a pickup cab grafted on a Spec Renault. Then they bolted on a JC Whitney Wing. Could have been "designed" in twenty minutes with a drill and sawzall.

:rofl: :rofl:

Myself and the other mechanics where I work think yours is a true statement and that this is the "post of the month"!!! :thumbup:

manic

Don Quixote
09-21-07, 05:58 PM
It's definitely a two bagger, if not 3. :laugh:

dando
09-21-07, 06:22 PM
[bill-the-cat]Ackk!!![/bill-the-cat]

Sorry, Pete. That should be Acckk Thpppptt!!!.

;)

-Kevin