PDA

View Full Version : Equalizing the Reynard

nrc
05-08-03, 10:45 PM
The Reynard teams are looking for some kind of competitive adjustment to help them since the chasis freeze prevents them from improving the chasis. They're talking weight, boast or downforce concessions to help make them competitive.

I hate the idea of a NASCAR-style leveling of the playing field. But CART needs these teams to have a shot at being competitive if they expect them to attract sponsors.

Ideally I'd rather see it dealt with by lifting the freeze on Reynards until they're proven competitive, but do these teams have any money to pay for development even if it were an option?

Foxman
05-09-03, 07:39 AM
I'm not sure that you can make a reynard competitive. Forsythe dumped a TON of money into his Reynard program last year, and while they were better than the rest, they still weren't on par with the Lola's. It may just be a design issue with the reynard that is holding it back.

WickerBill
05-09-03, 08:21 AM
I don't know about that, Foxman. I think Forsythe's Reynards were pretty hot last year, considering Carp won races in them and he is obviously not the caliber of driver that his new teammate is.

nrc
05-09-03, 11:28 AM
Also, while Forsythe was doing his development, Lola was developing as well. But even at that, nobody running Reynards has Forsythe money to put into development at this point.