PDA

View Full Version : Zanardi To ChampCar?

NismoZ
09-12-07, 09:27 PM
Autosport is saying Jeemy has offered Alex Zanardi a CC test in a specially set up DP01 sometime soon (with an eye toward racing in '08?) and Alex isn't saying no. Seems his biggest worry is coming to the US at age 40.

Not too thrilled about this one. I don't think anything could top his return to Germany when he completed those final laps. Perfectly done. I cried.

Sean Malone
09-12-07, 09:40 PM
I read the story as "I would love to do it, but I don't think I can convince the wife into moving to America".

The z-man the THE man! Always good to read about Alessandro. :thumbup:

swift
09-12-07, 09:51 PM
Not too thrilled about this one. I don't think anything could top his return to Germany when he completed those final laps. Perfectly done. I cried.

Same here. I thought the checkered flag he recieved at the end of those 13 laps represented the climactic end of his career racing open-wheel cars, and now he and his family could move on to the next chapters of his life.

Andrew Longman
09-12-07, 10:35 PM
Same here. I thought the checkered flag he recieved at the end of those 13 laps represented the climactic end of his career racing open-wheel cars, and now he and his family could move on to the next chapters of his life.

More to the point his wife's comment, "OK, you're done" as he exited the car was enough.

Though she knows who she married and I would root for him and the series needs stars, it need new stars.

Lots of deserving Americans and others should have a seat before Zanardi, but he is Jimmy's friend and its Jimmy's seat so he can do what he wants

RHR_Fan
09-12-07, 10:55 PM
It'd be awesome to see Alex drive the DP01 as a test, but I don't know if I'd want to see him race.

Is one of the races (one of the original) having any sort of anniversary? Maybe Alex could drive the car as the pace car, a la Pupo at Road America last year.

~Nicole

shaggy_socal
09-13-07, 01:56 AM
It'd be awesome to see Alex drive the DP01 as a test, but I don't know if I'd want to see him race.

Is one of the races (one of the original) having any sort of anniversary? Maybe Alex could drive the car as the pace car, a la Pupo at Road America last year.

~Nicole

They thought about having Zanardi pace the field at Germany in 03, but he jokingly threatened that he would stay on the track when the green flag waved.

I like Zanardi and all, but the thought of CC bringing him back to race in '08 is kinda like TNA and WWE hiring old 80's wrestlers to try and drum up interest using nostalgia when they should be focusing on developing new and upcoming talent.

Methanolandbrats
09-13-07, 07:43 AM
Announce Laguna and this in the same week :confused: Did CC hire a PR guy?

Sean Malone
09-13-07, 08:11 AM
They thought about having Zanardi pace the field at Germany in 03, but he jokingly threatened that he would stay on the track when the green flag waved.

I like Zanardi and all, but the thought of CC bringing him back to race in '08 is kinda like TNA and WWE hiring old 80's wrestlers to try and drum up interest using nostalgia when they should be focusing on developing new and upcoming talent.

Since when is this 'Champ Car' tyring to intice AZ back? It looks to me to be more of Jimmy Vasser, a close freind of AZ, trying to light a flame. Your analogy doesn't apply.

shaggy_socal
09-13-07, 03:56 PM
Since when is this 'Champ Car' tyring to intice AZ back? It looks to me to be more of Jimmy Vasser, a close freind of AZ, trying to light a flame. Your analogy doesn't apply.

OK let me restate...

I like Zanardi and all, but the thought of JV bringing him back to race in '08, if that's his goal, is kinda like TNA and WWE hiring old 80's wrestlers to try and drum up interest using nostalgia when they should be focusing on developing new and upcoming talent.

Now if the test is a means to get Zanardi involved with PKV or CC in a capacity other than driving the race car, I'm all for it. He's a much more valuable asset outside of the cockpit than in it. CC needs to showcase personalities and Zanardi has got tons of that.

TrueBrit
09-13-07, 04:35 PM
Personally I wouldn't mind it...other than Shorty there hasn't been a driver in this alleged championship series that I give a rat's arse about for years....

ferrarigod
09-13-07, 08:47 PM
i love zanardi, but this is a horrible idea.

G.
09-14-07, 12:02 AM
i love zanardi, but this is a horrible idea.

yep.
test, sure. Race, no.

pferrf1
09-14-07, 07:47 AM
Maybe its enough to entice AZ into coming back to the series in another capacity.