PDA

View Full Version : SJose gone, Laguna in

G.
09-11-07, 06:29 PM
http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/champcar/40172/

We’re pleased that Champ Car will be able to maintain a strong event in northern California,” said Steve Johnson, Champ Car President & CEO. “While it’s always tough to leave one city for another, in this case, it makes sense strategically for us and works for San Jose, given the on-going developments of their downtown. We enjoyed three great years in San Jose, and certainly anticipate that the fans there will head south to enjoy Champ Car racing at the beautiful Monterey Peninsula’s Mazda Raceway circuit.”

KLang
09-11-07, 06:48 PM
Beat me to it G. :)

Wasn't attendance at Laguna a problem in the past? Why would that change now?

Dr. Corkski
09-11-07, 06:51 PM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

opinionated ow
09-11-07, 07:02 PM
about bloody time!

RTKar
09-11-07, 07:15 PM
Sheesh...first ovals disappear, now courses with train tracks ;)

spinner26
09-11-07, 07:23 PM
cutting off your nose to save your face?

Gnam
09-11-07, 07:31 PM
No way. :eek:

Boatdesigner
09-11-07, 07:48 PM
Sheesh...first ovals disappear, now courses with train tracks ;)

Maybe they can add some tracks on the front straight to make things more interesting!:D The best thing they could add are some sprinklers, set to automatically water the track part way through the race.

jonovision_man
09-11-07, 07:58 PM
Wasn't attendance at Laguna a problem in the past? Why would that change now?

DP-01! ;)

You're right - there is no reason to believe attendance will be better. I wouldn't be surprised if this ends up being an ALMS weekend as well, split the cost of renting the track?

Chief must be sad to lose that awesome San Jose track. ;) The worst corner on the schedule - gone! Hurray.

jono

Spicoli
09-11-07, 09:02 PM
DP-01! ;)

You're right - there is no reason to believe attendance will be better. I wouldn't be surprised if this ends up being an ALMS weekend as well, split the cost of renting the track?

Chief must be sad to lose that awesome San Jose track. ;) The worst corner on the schedule - gone! Hurray.

jono

bingo.

Sean Malone
09-11-07, 09:05 PM
With Mazda's involvement in Champ Car I'm actually surprised we didn't get this announcement a long time ago.

As the IRL claim ownership of the old CART mantra of "multi-discipline series", Champ Car needs to maintain their "premier" status by racing at the best tracks America has to offer in Road America and Laguna Seca.

Wabbit
09-11-07, 09:07 PM
A race I might actually tune in for next year.

Sean O'Gorman
09-11-07, 09:19 PM
I bet it'll be a doubleheader with Grand-Am.

Chief
09-11-07, 09:19 PM
Chief must be sad to lose that awesome San Jose track.
Hahhahahaaa, you so funny. The 2007 race was good, I have no love for that track in particular so your humor is a miss. If they abandoned several other BS tracks for NA natural road courses I'd be happier tooo.

extramundane
09-11-07, 09:21 PM

Monterrey Fishwrap:

The event will share the race weekend with the previously announced Grand American Rolex Sports Car Series.

I realize that it's a narrow motorcycle racetrack that can't hold a candle to the train-tracked streets of San Jose, but it's good to see 'em back. Hopefully someone shows up this time.

jonovision_man
09-11-07, 09:34 PM
Hahhahahaaa, you so funny. The 2007 race was good, I have no love for that track in particular so your humor is a miss. If they abandoned several other BS tracks for NA natural road courses I'd be happier tooo.

Just having fun with 'ya, thus the ;) ... I know you'll like Laguna better, I think we all will.

It's only bad news in that it's another failed race to add to the list, but at least it sounds like there will be a 2008.

Grand Am - cool, makes it a better weekend, between the two maybe they'll pull some attendance.

jono

Sean Malone
09-11-07, 09:38 PM
Monterrey Fishwrap:

I realize that it's a narrow motorcycle racetrack that can't hold a candle to the train-tracked streets of San Jose, but it's good to see 'em back. Hopefully someone shows up this time.

Their blaming NASCAR for mafioso type pressure that botched Phoenix but they'll do a double header with Grand Am? Weird. Money talks.

G.
09-11-07, 09:41 PM
If it was shared with ALMS, I might consider flying out there.

JohnHKart
09-11-07, 09:46 PM
Ah, thank god!

John

Insomniac
09-11-07, 09:56 PM
Can we get some ovals now? Please.

Spicoli
09-11-07, 10:13 PM
trainwreck.

just like cart. figger it ut, thn change the locale.:thumbup:

Fio1
09-12-07, 12:31 AM
Alright! :thumbup: Best news I've heard all week. I drove by Laguna Seca two weekends ago and decided to see what was going on. I saw the craziest race ever; a 24 hour mountain bike race....solo! :eek: Can't wait to see top-line open wheel cars race there again. :thumbup:

High Sided
09-12-07, 03:33 AM
:rofl: Champ Car needs to maintain their "premier" status:rofl:

those day's are long gone

Andrew Longman
09-12-07, 05:45 AM
As race fans we should be grateful they are going back toi the track immortalized by Zanardi's "pass". Its the right place to race in Northern CA

Unfortunately, few remember or care about the pass anymore and I doubt too many will show up. They didn't the last ime they raced there and few shoed up to watch the other series at Sonoma.

And yet another failed street race will not make it any easier to sttract corporate participants for other races. :shakehead

Gnam
09-12-07, 07:58 PM
San Jose Merc calls BS on Champ Car's reasons for leaving. link (http://www.mercurynews.com/sportsheadlines/ci_6869281)

Such a coincidence. As soon as the city's heavy financial subsidy for the event stopped, so did the event.

The grand prix promoters took $4 million of taxpayer money over the past two summers and made a promise: Once the race got into gear with a little help from City Hall, the grand prix would survive on its own. It would bring benefits to San Jose for years to come. Downtown merchants would prosper. The city would receive international exposure. Also, everyone would get a puppy.

Never mind.

So what was the spin on things Tuesday? Here is what the promoters and local officials said with a straight face: Downtown San Jose is just too darned dynamic a place to be a long-term home for a street race.

Honest. It seems developers might eventually erect buildings on vacant street-side properties that are used for bleachers, luxury boxes and other grand prix functions. In one example, the Boston Properties group could construct an office tower in the large Almaden Boulevard parking lot that has held the main grandstand.

Completely true. But it was also completely true three years ago, when the grand prix promoters first committed to San Jose. And as for that alleged Boston Properties project? There was no confirmation from either the company or the city that ground will be broken on the Almaden Boulevard lot any time soon. Probably because it won't be happening.

In fact, take this prediction to the Pit Stop Bank: that big parking lot will still be a big parking lot next July, when the non-race weekend rolls around.
To be honest, I don't really care what Champ Car's reasons are. Laguna Seca is back. :D

But, this could make it more difficult to have a new street race in the future. What city council would believe their promises to continue racing after the subsidy runs out? :\

dando
09-12-07, 08:15 PM
As race fans we should be grateful they are going back toi the track immortalized by Zanardi's "pass". Its the right place to race in Northern CA

Get it right, old man. That's The Pass. I watched that happen in total disbelief @ a Team Rahole gathering. :irked: :saywhat: I passed up a chance to buy a signed print of The Pass @ MO a year or two later that I now regret immensely.
:( :cry:

</pot>

jonovision_man
09-12-07, 09:06 PM
But, this could make it more difficult to have a new street race in the future. What city council would believe their promises to continue racing after the subsidy runs out? :\

San Jose did! ;)

jono

Andrew Longman
09-12-07, 10:49 PM
Get it right, old man.

Old man? I only stopped playing football a few years ago and my team finished second in the league to the team that won the national championship (7 man flag) 3 of 4 years in a row.

But OK, by shoulders are a mess and I got tired of explaining the pitfalls of interest only mortgages to my teammates.

Still never lost a fight though or gave up more than a sack a season.