PDA

View Full Version : when rockstars sell out

G.
09-11-07, 09:55 AM
I'm never one to take money from someone's pocket, assuming they are doing legal activities that don't hurt my kids.

But...

A Nissan commercial this AM has Ted Nugent's Stranglehold for it's music.

This from the Detroit Rocker, the MotorCity Madman.

Is there some point when a ancient song no longer belongs to the author? Could Ted have had no say in the use of his song?

Keep his polarizing politics out of it, please.

dando
09-11-07, 10:34 AM
I'm never one to take money from someone's pocket, assuming they are doing legal activities that don't hurt my kids.

But...

A Nissan commercial this AM has Ted Nugent's Stranglehold for it's music.

This from the Detroit Rocker, the MotorCity Madman.

Is there some point when a ancient song no longer belongs to the author? Could Ted have had no say in the use of his song?

Keep his polarizing politics out of it, please.
Dude, when Caddy started using Led Zepp for its ads years ago, I knew there were no limits to what music could/would be commercialized.

Great tune. Can't blame them for using it. Back when Mike Nugent was kicking for The OSU, they used to play Stranglehold before kickoffs. :thumbup:

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
09-11-07, 11:33 AM
Copyright is complicated depending on whether it was published before or after 1978 (Stranglehold was before), but generally ownership of a work persists for 70 years beyond the author's death, then reverts to the public domain.

Ted may have sold his rights to the song (remember Michael Jackson owns most of the Beatles library) and whoever bought it sold use rights to Nissan. That could be one kind of sell out, but it might have bought more hunting land in Michigan. ;)

Otherwise, Ted sold use directly himself to Nissan.

Either way it is my favorite Nugent song (unless it is Free For All) but it won't get me to buy a Nissan.

KLang
09-11-07, 11:34 AM
Stranglehold. :thumbup:

I suspect Nugent has no say in how it is used as long as he gets paid for the usage.

STD
09-11-07, 02:23 PM
Ted has always known what is up and has total narcissistic control of all that is Ted.
He has been using it all for years.
It's about the bottom line and the dime.

Yank Me, Crank Me... :rofl:

IlliniRacer
09-11-07, 02:31 PM
The two I had/have a hard time with is the old AT&T wireless using The Ramones and Royal Caribbean using Iggy Pop with very heaving editing.

Hey Royal Caribbean FYI -

Here comes Johnny Yen again
With the liquor and drugs
And a flesh machine
He's gonna do another strip tease

Hey man, where'd you get that lotion?
I've been hurting since I bought the gimmick
About something called love
Yeah, something called love
Well, that's like hypnotising chickens

Well, I'm just a modern guy
Of course, I've had it in the ear before
'Cause of a lust for life
'Cause of a lust for life

JohnHKart
09-11-07, 09:48 PM
I'm glad I watch everything on DVD Hard drive, spares me all these songs being ruined. Disgusting.

G.
09-12-07, 10:56 PM
Ramones for esurance this time.

extramundane
09-12-07, 11:19 PM
Ramones for esurance this time.

Hell, they "sold out" a long time ago. I always liked those Bud Light/Jaguar GTP ads that used Blitzkrieg Bop.

devilmaster
09-13-07, 12:10 AM
ditto on the :thumbup: for stranglehold...

although I can't listen to the song anymore without hearing in my head an announcer over the opening riff saying "and now your Detroit Tigers!"

They use it every game. Just like the Pirates with O Fortuna.

- i have to get around to learning that riff.... right after i get polly wally doodle to stop sounding polly wally crappy. ;)