PDA

View Full Version : Notes from Assen

pressdog
09-06-07, 09:35 PM
Bourdais not on the podium? Certainly this is the end of the age.

Notes From the Champ Car broadcast from Assen (http://pressdog.typepad.com/dogblog/2007/09/notes-taken-d-1.html)

Gnam
09-07-07, 03:04 AM
Lap 43
Jon -- for Bruno and Dale Coyne to beat a NHL-level team would be HUGE. Very David smacking Goliath-esque.

Lap 46 -- Black screen on TV. Not good. Rick Benjamin -- appears we have lost our picture from TT Circuit Assen.
Bruno was so far ahead at that point, I thought, "He'll win barring airstirke."

Then the screen went black, and I yelled, "Airstrike!"

pressdog is enhancing my viewing. :thumbup:

Indy
09-07-07, 09:17 AM
Pressdog, I enjoy your stuff, but I can't help noticing that the IRL race notes are funnier than the Champ Car notes. Would you attribute this to the comedy-like nature of the IRL?

robot9000
09-07-07, 10:46 AM
Dude, you are a riot, but you gott get off the DP01.

Gearbox leak. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that a Hewland, not Panoz design? And I belive the teams rebuild them all the time, so if it leaked, I'm pretty sure its a rebuild problem, not a Panoz problem.

Push to Pass glitch. Again, thats a Cosworth problem, isn't it?

Ticket Giveaways. Um, aren't you mistaking this for the other guys and the Honda/Red Hat stuff? If not, lot me know how I get on this Free Ticket thing :-)

nrc
09-07-07, 06:24 PM

I think it's actually Pi doing the engine mangement piece now.

pressdog
09-07-07, 11:22 PM
Dude, you are a riot, but you gott get off the DP01.

Gearbox leak. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that a Hewland, not Panoz design? And I belive the teams rebuild them all the time, so if it leaked, I'm pretty sure its a rebuild problem, not a Panoz problem.

Ticket Giveaways. Um, aren't you mistaking this for the other guys and the Honda/Red Hat stuff? If not, lot me know how I get on this Free Ticket thing :-)

I should probably say "the new car" which would include all the parts. Everyone uses "DP01" as synonymous with "the new car." My point is that the car, in its entirety, has been spotty at best. It could very well be that Panoz is not to blame for it, so I'll stand corrected there.

John Oreovitz says this: Significantly, the 60,000-plus fans on hand at Assen paid retail price for their tickets. The full house at the famous motorcycle circuit was not the result of massive corporate ticket buys for employee giveaways or market research purposes.

Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/columns/story?seriesId=5&columnist=oreovicz_john&id=3003710)

pressdog
09-07-07, 11:27 PM
Pressdog, I enjoy your stuff, but I can't help noticing that the IRL race notes are funnier than the Champ Car notes. Would you attribute this to the comedy-like nature of the IRL?

Good question. You could look at it that less happens in general during a Champ Car race, so that's either less funny or more boring, depending on who you're talking to. Also, I'm more familiar with the personalities in the IRL than Champ Car. Do Champ Car drivers have personalities?

nrc
09-07-07, 11:59 PM
Do Champ Car drivers have personalities?

http://www.champcarworldseries.com/content/photos/2007/By800/20070701P_0064.jpg

Indy
09-08-07, 12:44 AM
Good question. You could look at it that less happens in general during a Champ Car race, so that's either less funny or more boring, depending on who you're talking to. Also, I'm more familiar with the personalities in the IRL than Champ Car. Do Champ Car drivers have personalities?

Good point. Champ Car drivers are both less well promoted and not as humorously dorky as ICS drivers.

BTW, they should get Doornbos hooked up with a long term commitment of some sort, if they are prepared to make a star out of him.

Insomniac
09-08-07, 01:11 AM
I should probably say "the new car" which would include all the parts. Everyone uses "DP01" as synonymous with "the new car." My point is that the car, in its entirety, has been spotty at best. It could very well be that Panoz is not to blame for it, so I'll stand corrected there.

The car has seemed fine to me the past few races. I don't like the back injuries, but it seems to be pretty reliable now. Wish they got the starters working. At Assen, the problem was the electronics from Pi/Cosworth.

pedroskova
09-08-07, 03:40 PM

"less happens"...yes, there are far fewer boneheaded mistakes.

personalities?...yes, they just aren't as pissy-moany, which some folks mistake as "personality"...take Danica and Marco, for example - good at hissy fits, but not much else.

patski
09-09-07, 12:14 PM
"less happens"...yes, there are far fewer boneheaded mistakes.

personalities?...yes, they just aren't as pissy-moany, which some folks mistake as "personality"...take Danica and Marco, for example - good at hissy fits, but not much else.

Nailed it!

Hameroids
09-09-07, 12:58 PM

WAAAAAHHHHH!!!! :cry: :cry: :cry:

One of the best pics of the year.

oddlycalm
09-10-07, 03:35 PM
For 2008 I propose having Pi randomly salt a couple ECU's for each race with the "push-to-snore" setting active. :gomer: Teams would draw ECU's as in a raffle and prior to the start of the race nobody will know who got the duds and who got the real push-to-pass. Each car should have an in-car video feed and a radio monitor for when the inevitable happens. :thumbup:

My regret about the push-to-snore incident is that there was no in-car shot of Bourdais when it happened and no quotable radio transmission. :D

oc

Insomniac
09-10-07, 04:05 PM
For 2008 I propose having Pi randomly salt a couple ECU's for each race with the "push-to-snore" setting active. :gomer: Teams would draw ECU's as in a raffle and prior to the start of the race nobody will know who got the duds and who got the real push-to-pass. Each car should have an in-car video feed and a radio monitor for when the inevitable happens. :thumbup:

My regret about the push-to-snore incident is that there was no in-car shot of Bourdais when it happened and no quotable radio transmission. :D

oc

I say they have a weighted lottery to set the grid based on practice times. Give points for gaining positions.

cameraman
09-10-07, 05:40 PM
I saw an interview where Servia said it happened to him to. Went to pass and it went to pitlane mode. He said he lost two positions. How the tv missed all that I have no idea.

Brian_R
09-24-07, 09:45 AM

Thanks for the trophy, and where is the closest bathroom?

opinionated ow
09-24-07, 10:13 AM
my thoughts:
if you are going to mandate series controlled components, they better bloody work-chassis, floor, gearbox, push to pass, pitlane limiter....

Insomniac
09-24-07, 11:06 AM
my thoughts:
if you are going to mandate series controlled components, they better bloody work-chassis, floor, gearbox, push to pass, pitlane limiter....

Don't forget the on-board starter.

robot9000
09-24-07, 01:09 PM
my thoughts:

Floor?

opinionated ow
09-25-07, 12:59 AM
Floor?

the floors(the underside tunnels or jabroc planks on the bottom of the tub) were called back early in the piece, iirc between the 2nd and 3rd tests. something to do with excessive cracking (if memory serves correctly).

Andrew Longman
09-25-07, 10:21 AM
Why don't Doornbas' shoes match? White = Stop. Black = Go?

Al Czervik
09-25-07, 03:26 PM
Why don't Doornbas' shoes match? White = Stop. Black = Go?

He must be the kicker.

Rosco
09-25-07, 06:49 PM
Who would say anything about the DP 01 Chassis, have there been any problems with the new car? I don't recall any problems:D

G.
09-26-07, 10:45 AM
Who would say anything about the DP 01 Chassis, have there been any problems with the new car? I don't recall any problems:DUh, Rosco, we actually TALK about the problems with the DP01 here, as well as general ****-ups with CCWS.

If you're going to be here, shut up and learn.

Wrong troll, wrong place.:shakehead

SID
09-26-07, 06:42 PM

oc

I heard it: Seabass said something like : "Eet seems as eef ze gearbox has surrendered ..... you guys... you got me a gearbox from France for a going bye-bye present !!!!!"