PDA

View Full Version : What year is it?

Gnam
09-06-07, 02:11 PM
2007. <-- How do you pronounce the year?
I've been saying two thousand seven, just like I said two thousand & two thousand one.

But, I've noticed people are adopting the twenty when talking about the 2012 Olympics or events 10-20 years out (federal budgets, project schedules, alien invasions).

So, have you made the switch yet? Will you?

Methanolandbrats
09-06-07, 02:19 PM
It's two thousand seven. If I bought something for $2007 dollars, I would not write "twenty O seven" on the check. That's stupid. Some newstard probably coined that and it became trendy.

KLang
09-06-07, 03:59 PM
I think we will be saying two thousand until twenty-ten rolls around. Seems easier to say.

How does everyone pronounce 2112?

Ankf00
09-06-07, 04:03 PM
We can't bust heads like we used to back in ought seven, but we have our ways. One trick is to tell them stories that don't go anywhere. Like the time I took the fairy to Shelbyville. I needed a new heel for my shoe so I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on them. Give me five bees for a quarter you'd say. Now where were we, oh ya. The important thing was that I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn't have white onions because if the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones

answer in bold :)

Andrew Longman
09-06-07, 04:07 PM
I too notice the recent use of twenty-oh-seven. Actually pretty consistent with how we lable any four digit year whether it be 1066, 1492, 1776, 1865, 1941.

The decade is nearly over and still nobody has coined a name for it though (e.g. 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, naughties)

RHR_Fan
09-06-07, 04:30 PM
Sometimes I say two-thousand and seven.

~Nicole

extramundane
09-06-07, 04:45 PM
How does everyone pronounce 2112?

"Overrated"

Must be a dialect thing.

JoeBob
09-06-07, 06:07 PM
Only here would this topic come up twice in 12 months: http://www.offcamber.net/forums/showthread.php?t=11898

Insomniac
09-06-07, 06:14 PM
I too notice the recent use of twenty-oh-seven. Actually pretty consistent with how we lable any four digit year whether it be 1066, 1492, 1776, 1865, 1941.

The decade is nearly over and still nobody has coined a name for it though (e.g. 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, naughties)

Are we too lazy to refer to it as the 2000s?

Ankf00
09-06-07, 06:17 PM
Are we too lazy to refer to it as the 2000s?

then how do we refer to the century?

KLang
09-06-07, 06:17 PM
"Overrated"

:eek: Blasphemy!

;)

Gnam
09-06-07, 06:24 PM
Only here would this topic come up twice in 12 months: http://www.offcamber.net/forums/showthread.php?t=11898
Heck, that was back in aught six. A simpler time, really. :p

Ankf00
09-06-07, 06:59 PM
"Overrated"

Must be a dialect thing.
winner.

opinionated ow
09-06-07, 07:19 PM
two thousand and seven

Insomniac
09-06-07, 10:18 PM
two thousand and seven

You only say "and" if there's a decimal point. Bob Barker can teach you a lot. :p

Sean Malone
09-06-07, 10:24 PM
You only say "and" if there's a decimal point. Bob Barker can teach you a lot. :p

What grade did they teach us how to write a check, 6th, 7th somewhere around there. Everytime I write one I always remember not to put 'and'.

opinionated ow
09-06-07, 11:37 PM

only north americans dont say and in their numbers. two thousand seven sounds to us like 2000, 7

Insomniac
09-07-07, 08:39 AM
What grade did they teach us how to write a check, 6th, 7th somewhere around there. Everytime I write one I always remember not to put 'and'.

I don't think I learned that (I don't think I did it) from the check writing lesson, but from a math teacher who had it as a pet peeve. Every time someone threw in an "and", she'd correct them.

Insomniac
09-07-07, 08:40 AM
only north americans dont say and in their numbers. two thousand seven sounds to us like 2000, 7

Interesting. How do you say 1,426?

Sean Malone
09-07-07, 08:45 AM
I don't think I learned that (I don't think I did it) from the check writing lesson, but from a math teacher who had it as a pet peeve. Every time someone threw in an "and", she'd correct them.

my pop had/has that same peeve.

Rob
09-07-07, 09:53 AM
If I bought something for $2007 dollars, I would not write "twenty O seven" on the check. That's stupid.
So ten years ago, did you call the year "one thousand nine hundred ninety-seven," or did you write "nineteen ninety-seven and 00/100 dollars" on your checks?

TrueBrit
09-07-07, 10:34 AM
Interesting. How do you say 1,426?

One thousand four hundred and twenty six...

Sean Malone
09-07-07, 10:40 AM
Date: 03/06/2002 at 12:25:08
Subject: Oral numbers

I would like to know the correct way to say numbers. When I say
numbers and when I listen to other people say numbers, I hear them
use the word "and" before the last number: for example, one hundred
and one; two thousand, three hundred and seven. I have recently been
told, however, that the use of "and" is incorrect. I am having a
hard time reconciling what seems to me to be common usage and the
dictate that "and" is wrong. Can you give me some guidance, please?

Thanks,
Sheila Page

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: 03/06/2002 at 13:59:39
Subject: Re: oral numbers

Hi Sheila,

I was always taught that 'and' is used only to indicate the location
of the decimal point:

three hundred
three hundred twenty
three hundred twenty-nine
three hundred twenty-nine and three tenths
three hundred twenty-nine and thirty-six hundredths

and so on.

However, the Gregg Reference Manual (5th Edition) gives this example:

seven hundred and twenty-five ('and' may be omitted)

So if you like the way it sounds, you can always appeal to that
citation in case someone makes a fuss.

_The Elements of Style_ (Strunk and White) says that the 'and' should
be retained in the phrase 'one hundred and one', which suggests that
it should not normally be included.

In English, there are lots of ways in which 'common' usage differs
from 'correct' usage. People commonly mix up 'which' and 'that';
'compose' and 'comprise'; 'farther' and 'further'; 'quote' and
'quotation'; and so on. Experts disagree on the importance of the
distinctions. And, of course, what is 'correct' changes with time.

If you stick an extra 'and' into a number, will anyone be unable to
determine what you mean? No. Might some people who would consider this
to be an error make a mental note that perhaps you're less 'educated'
than you ought to be? Yes. Might that affect the way they subsequently
interpret what you say and do? Yes. Might that, over the course of
your lifetime, end up reducing both your income and the scope of
opportunities that are offered to you? Maybe.

There was a time when I would have considered this something worth
arguing about. At this point, I no longer think of it in terms of
'correct' or 'incorrect'. Rather, I think of it as one of many 'secret
handshakes' for a particular club, and act accordingly. :^D

Does this help?

linky (http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/view/57225.html)

opinionated ow
09-07-07, 11:49 AM

exactly how I would say it too. 1,234,567 would be one million, two hundred and thirty-four thousand, five hundred and sixty-seven.

TrueBrit
09-07-07, 12:21 PM
exactly how I would say it too. 1,234,567 would be one million, two hundred and thirty-four thousand, five hundred and sixty-seven.

Exactly right!

Ankf00
09-07-07, 12:39 PM
you're missing a few "and"s in there, not nearly enough :gomer:

G.
09-07-07, 12:46 PM
Exactly right!
Exactly wrong!

Damn furriners, first they take over our driver spots, now they are trying to ruin OUR language!:flame:

:p

OT, I also think that we will adopt the twenty'o'seven form.

I prefer two naught naught sebbin, myself.:gomer:

"In eighteen-forteen we took a little trip. Along with Col. Jackson down the mighty Mississip'. We took a little bacon and we took a little beans, and we fought the bloody British in the town of New Orleans"

Get that tune ^^^ good and stuck in your brain.

Insomniac
09-07-07, 02:39 PM

I see, the "and" goes right before the last word. Just curious. As the thing Sean posted, I knew what you meant, but I'm not sure why I'd think you were less educated. Either you're taught it or you're not. If you aren't, then you do it one way or the other based on so many factors.

Insomniac
09-07-07, 02:41 PM
Somewhat OT, what are the thoughts on spacing after punctuation? I go with 1 space and can cite plenty of places that say 1 space now. My boss won't let 2 spaces go, and he acts like he's right. I concede he will get it how he wants it, but stop saying that's the right way, it's only your preference!

Sean Malone
09-07-07, 02:43 PM
I see, the "and" goes right before the last word. Just curious. As the thing Sean posted, I knew what you meant, but I'm not sure why I'd think you were less educated. Either you're taught it or you're not. If you aren't, then you do it one way or the other based on so many factors.

We just need to ask TB how much money he makes. ;)

chop456
09-07-07, 02:56 PM
Somewhat OT, what are the thoughts on spacing after punctuation? I go with 1 space and can cite plenty of places that say 1 space now. My boss won't let 2 spaces go, and he acts like he's right. I concede he will get it how he wants it, but stop saying that's the right way, it's only your preference!

One after a comma, two after a period. Two adjacent commas are the mark of an idiot.

cameraman
09-07-07, 03:03 PM
My boss won't let 2 spaces go, and he acts like he's right. Only after a period, the remainder of the document is one space.

Ankf00
09-07-07, 03:15 PM
One after a comma, two after a period. Two adjacent commas are the mark of an idiot.

2 after the period is the last thing I learned in all those years of schooling, seriously. :D

Insomniac
09-07-07, 06:59 PM

Only after a period, the remainder of the document is one space.

2 after the period is the last thing I learned in all those years of schooling, seriously. :D

Wrong!

The Chicago Manual of Style
The AP Manual of Style
The APA Style Guide
The MLA Style Guide

Every one of those say one space after all punctuation.

Have to ask our non-U.S. crowd what they do, but I believe we were the only country to put 2 space after periods and colons.

cameraman
09-07-07, 07:59 PM
Back in the day when we used typewriters instead of computers you always used two spaces after the period because in monospaced text it is hard to pick out the end of the sentence. It isn't a problem with proportionally spaced fonts so I suppose you don't need to use two spaces anymore.

Insomniac
09-07-07, 09:46 PM
Back in the day when we used typewriters instead of computers you always used two spaces after the period because in monospaced text it is hard to pick out the end of the sentence. It isn't a problem with proportionally spaced fonts so I suppose you don't need to use two spaces anymore.

That's pretty much the reasoning for all of them to change it recently.

Insomniac
09-09-07, 11:03 AM
Peter Windsor said Twenty-O-Seven this morning on Speed. :)