PDA

View Full Version : KK (& SJ) on the future

Racing Truth
09-06-07, 11:40 AM
Via David Phillips (http://www.speedtv.com/commentary/39933/?page=1)

Methanolandbrats
09-06-07, 12:43 PM
Via David Phillips (http://www.speedtv.com/commentary/39933/?page=1)
Good article. Hell, if they race in Europe for half the schedule it's fine with me as long as they are road courses, have good crowds and attract sponsors.

Sean Malone
09-06-07, 01:04 PM
I always thought that Brazil and Australia added to the allure of CART. As long as the Euro races are on a TV channel I can get, I'm cool wit dat.

Methanolandbrats
09-06-07, 01:09 PM
I always thought that Brazil and Australia added to the allure of CART. As long as the Euro races are on a TV channel I can get, I'm cool wit dat. Good idea on Brazil. Can't Bruno or some other Brazilian guy come up with a sponsor and fund a car? And please dust of the Roval..........I loved that track :thumbup:

devilmaster
09-06-07, 01:12 PM
damage control fun. :\

I was going to go into a long winded story about damage control school in the navy and how we were taught the lessons of the HMS Sheffield and how this could be a textbook example of what champcar needs to do.

But i'll pare it down.

If you don't want to do damage control, don't get hit by the missile.

Andrew Longman
09-06-07, 01:25 PM
If you don't want to do damage control, don't get hit by the missile.
:rofl:

To be fair, they started with a pretty wrecked ship in 04.

This is the part that caught my eye:

They like the American approach to it. They like the open paddock, they like the accessibility of the drivers, and they like the fact that it’s American.”

While I agree, they also need to be careful they don't export so much of the product that there is nothing left of the brand to export. By that I mean they may get to the point of CC being an answer to a question nobody asked.

If indeed it is still essentially a North American series and it is "the American interpretation of formula racing" and it is the antidote to NASCAR (and F1) then they are onto something (though even that is a little too scattered for me).

They can't say they are the series that runs Indy, so they need to be clear what they are instead. It's actually been their problem since the split and maybe before. If prior to the split their purpose, mission and brand were more clear the Gomers wouldn't have been so worried about what CART might actually become. But that's another story.

Methanolandbrats
09-06-07, 01:45 PM
Cabs on ovals dominate American Racing and it will be that way for decades. The rest of the World likes road racing. The open paddock and accessibility is a big hit with people who are used to coughing up huge bucks to be abused by Bernie and Max. Concentrating on road courses and skipping around the Globe is the best plan. As far as being a "North American Series", there is nothing left of that after ovals went under and other "traditional" tracks were abandoned. The Cabs want to go Global and it would be a really good idea to beat them to it.

Racing Truth
09-06-07, 01:49 PM
I always thought that Brazil and Australia added to the allure of CART. As long as the Euro races are on a TV channel I can get, I'm cool wit dat.

On Brazil, I'm pretty sure the Roval is dead (too bad, I loved it).

To the article itself, I'm encouraged that CC has developed a long-term plan. They've needed one for awhile. I think they've concluded that the US OW market is dead and that int'l is the way to go.

For me, don't we already have an int'l OW series (or 3)? F1, GP2, even A1GP, not to mention the lower formulae. Furthermore, am I the only one who feels much less connected to the drivers, and the series as a whole, even though the racing has been good? Further internationalization won't help there.

Again, though, at least they have a plan and admitted mistakes.:thumbup:

mueber
09-06-07, 02:12 PM
If the plan is, "hit them where they ain't", especially as regards NASCAR, it makes sense to me. As far as the "mistakes" are concerned, some have been pretty obvious, and that scares me.

You'd think these auto racing "experts" would have known that the FIA is powerful and always puts the letter of the law before good sense, the sponsors, the fans, the participants, God and everything else.

Sean Malone
09-07-07, 08:37 AM

To the article itself, I'm encouraged that CC has developed a long-term plan. They've needed one for awhile. I think they've concluded that the US OW market is dead and that int'l is the way to go.

For me, don't we already have an int'l OW series (or 3)? F1, GP2, even A1GP, not to mention the lower formulae. Furthermore, am I the only one who feels much less connected to the drivers, and the series as a whole, even though the racing has been good? Further internationalization won't help there.

Again, though, at least they have a plan and admitted mistakes.:thumbup:

I know what you mean about the drivers.

mueber
09-07-07, 09:08 AM
For me the issue isn't the "international" nature of the drivers; it' that none of them stay very long. Hopefully, that will improve as the series improves.

tllips
09-07-07, 09:34 AM
For me the issue isn't the "international" nature of the drivers; it' that none of them stay very long. Hopefully, that will improve as the series improves.

Agreed!

We didn't mind DeFerran, Zanardi, Moore, Emmo Fitipaldi, etc. when we knew who was going to be driving the cars from year to year.

Sean Malone
09-07-07, 09:52 AM
What did "DeFerran, Zanardi, Moore, Emmo Fitipaldi, etc" have in common? They won races. They had unique style. Something is is missing today. It has nothing to do with where they are from.
I don't care how many races Will Power wins...he's no Zanardi, DeFerran, Greg or Emmo etc. Just like the frog.:)

opinionated ow
09-07-07, 11:50 AM

demolished for some sort of sporting complex. the road course is being rebuilt around whatever it was they are building, but the oval is goneskis.

JohnHKart
09-07-07, 05:24 PM
What did "DeFerran, Zanardi, Moore, Emmo Fitipaldi, etc" have in common? They won races. They had unique style. Something is is missing today. It has nothing to do with where they are from.
I don't care how many races Will Power wins...he's no Zanardi, DeFerran, Greg or Emmo etc. Just like the frog.:)

Yep. Will and 2/3rds of the field could walk by me on the street, and I wouldn't know who they were.

JH

Methanolandbrats
09-07-07, 05:29 PM
It's all about stability and measurable growth. Sponsors won't touch anything which is not growing. Only hardcore fans, not the general public buys tickets for sports which are not stable.

cart7
09-08-07, 08:56 AM
I'd suggest they rename the series if the route they're taking this international.

Calling this Champcar and attempting to tie themselves to US Champcar history like they've done in the past is disingenuous to say the least. This series has absolutely nothing to do with Champ car racing and I'll say further, they barely resemble the series they bought it from.

I always found it rather humorous when they tried to make the connection between Ted Horn and Seabass. :laugh:

NismoZ
09-08-07, 10:37 AM
So ChampCar World Series is somehow inappropriate? Sounds OK to me. Nobody is being asked to consider it a National Championship for the "Big Cars" any longer and only the oldsters (and The League) are really interested in a connection to USAC and AAA days anyway.

Rosco
09-08-07, 02:39 PM
So ChampCar World Series is somehow inappropriate? Sounds OK to me. Nobody is being asked to consider it a National Championship for the "Big Cars" any longer and only the oldsters (and The League) are really interested in a connection to USAC and AAA days anyway.

We stilll count, were not dead yet.

gurneyfan
09-08-07, 03:36 PM
I'd suggest they rename the series if the route they're taking this international.

That's a great idea.

They could call it The Series That Changes It's Name Every Five Years.

Insomniac
09-08-07, 05:35 PM

Calling this Champcar and attempting to tie themselves to US Champcar history like they've done in the past is disingenuous to say the least. This series has absolutely nothing to do with Champ car racing and I'll say further, they barely resemble the series they bought it from.

I always found it rather humorous when they tried to make the connection between Ted Horn and Seabass. :laugh:

Wasn't it the Indy Car World Series before the split?

gurneyfan
09-08-07, 09:43 PM
Wasn't it the Indy Car World Series before the split?

I was and it was after the split. The Speedway leased out the name. When the lease ran out crapwagons became Indycars and Indycars became Champcars.

Confusing isn't it?

Changing the name again would be a brilliant marketing decision.

In fact, it sounds so appealing it's a little scary.

They might actually do it.

Insomniac
09-09-07, 10:16 AM
I was and it was after the split. The Speedway leased out the name. When the lease ran out crapwagons became Indycars and Indycars became Champcars.

Confusing isn't it?

Changing the name again would be a brilliant marketing decision.

In fact, it sounds so appealing it's a little scary.

They might actually do it.

I thought it was, but couldn't remember. I believe after the split there was a 7 year agreement neither side could use the "Indy Car" name, and then TG got it.

My main point was they were a "World Series" before and did international events. So the name is nothing new, and they're called the Champ Car World Series. They actually went back to their roots (minus the "Indy" part).

Methanolandbrats
09-09-07, 10:22 AM
How about GWGAFOWS -----> Global WGAF Open-Wheel Series

robot9000
09-09-07, 12:15 PM
Dumping CART Was a bad idea and dumping CCWS would be even dumber.

People already can't describe the series without using the I word, so further mudding the waters won't help.