PDA

View Full Version : Danickle Patrick - Open Wheel Saviour

Sean Malone
09-05-07, 10:12 AM
So says Robin Miller.

That's why when Danica wins her first race, it's going to put the IRL on another plateau with the national media, if not the general public. She remains open wheel racing's only meal ticket out of anonymity.

Link (http://www.speedtv.com/commentary/39991/)

I'd like to thank Tony George for destroying the sport to the point where a backmarker gimmick is heralded as the last saviour of the sport.

KLang
09-05-07, 10:41 AM
:laugh: Miller is full of it. Nobody, national media or otherwise, cares anymore besides us nuts on the forums.

Methanolandbrats
09-05-07, 10:55 AM
Title of Article "IndyCar Title Comes Down to Epic Fight, Again"

WTF, it's just another Honda demolition derby. That absurd title plus the Danicle comment proves Miller is just another Old Gomer who would like nothing better than to lap the sweat from Tony's marble bag.

Sean Malone
09-05-07, 10:59 AM
Title of Article "IndyCar Title Comes Down to Epic Fight, Again"

WTF, it's just another Honda demolition derby. That absurd title plus the Danicle comment proves Miller is just another Old Gomer who would like nothing better than to lap the sweat from Tony's marble bag.

Robin Mill post hardcardgate.

nrc
09-05-07, 11:55 AM
"Psst! Tony, ol buddy, ol pal, here's what you've gotta do to get my gravy train back on track..."

RichK
09-05-07, 12:16 PM
Everyone jumps on Robin Miller when he reports on the rival series.

The article seemed pretty balanced to me, aside from the idea that Danica could be a savior. The IRL championship fight is more compelling than whatever Champcar thinks they are doing right now, IMO.

dando
09-05-07, 12:46 PM
Danicle's first win will be a blip on the radar, a SC highlight and then go away until she tries to run cabs. @ this point, I don't even think unification with young Rahole, Unser, Whinedretti, and Danicle could save this sinking ship. :(

-Kevin

Sean Malone
09-05-07, 01:19 PM
Danicle's first win will be a blip on the radar, a SC highlight and then go away until she tries to run cabs. @ this point, I don't even think unification with young Rahole, Unser, Whinedretti, and Danicle could save this sinking ship. :(

-Kevin

Do you think an indy car win will accelerate her move to NASCAR or the lack thereof? I think she'll give power steering a full year in '08 and then move over no matter what.

dando
09-05-07, 01:30 PM
Do you think an indy car win will accelerate her move to NASCAR or the lack thereof? I think she'll give power steering a full year in '08 and then move over no matter what.

IMO, she'll make the move in '09 unless AGR dumps her before then, which is doubtful. Even then, I think there's a chance Liver Spots or Jabba the Chip would give her an EARL ride in a heart beat.

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
09-05-07, 02:16 PM
Danica isn't going to save anything except her career.

At best, her marketability helps her draw the sort of sponsor dollars that a team needs to survive and compete. And those are enough dollars to pay a competitive salery to her. For those reasons alone I don't see her leaving for NASCAR.

Look for her to manage her career to include as many endorsements and TV appearances as possible. A win will only give her reason to get more face time in the public's eye. It will help her, but not the sport.

As for the ICS championship, it is more interesting right now than any other series, but it is hardly compelling. With the leaders crashing into teammates and catching air every week it has the look of clowncar racing more than "compelling".

Sean Malone
09-05-07, 02:31 PM
She practically went to NASCAR last year so it won't take much for that to happen. I'm positive that multiple NASCAR teams are chomping at the bit to get that girlie on their marketing promotions, I mean behind the wheel.

If I'm not mistaken NASCAR uses true power steering and large steering wheels (to help alleviate arm fatigue for 500 miles). I'm sure someone has told her.

dando
09-05-07, 02:52 PM
If I'm not mistaken NASCAR uses true power steering and large steering wheels (to help alleviate arm fatigue for 500 miles). I'm sure someone has told her.

Yes, they do have PS. I recall a CC 600 a couple of years ago when DW marvelled @ Ryan Newman driving w/o it starting early in the race. 600 miles w/o PS is a feat, yo.

-Kevin

Sean Malone
09-05-07, 03:36 PM
Yes, they do have PS. I recall a CC 600 a couple of years ago when DW marvelled @ Ryan Newman driving w/o it starting early in the race. 600 miles w/o PS is a feat, yo.

-Kevin

Agreed. It would be interesting to see the seperation of "talent" if power steering was banned from NASCAR. But we digress.

Andrew Longman
09-05-07, 04:25 PM
She practically went to NASCAR last year...

She did? I recall her dad going to Phoenix and talking it up. I recall a lot of posturing to negotiate the best IRL contract she could. But I don't recall a single Cup team mentioned as interested in her.

In the end it worked though. IIRC she got a multi year deal for AGR reported at $25 million with Motorola (though I'll bet a lot of that is in kind stuff and support they were giving to AGR anyway).

No way any Cup team is going to give her the kind of money she (and only she) can get in the IRL at the moment. Not until she shows she can win or at least keep a car in the top 35 in owner points. (Given dingers struggles I don't know why Wheldon thinks there is any interest in him in Cup. Chip is the only one who would possibly give him a sniff and while he is succeeding relatively with JPM, Dan is no JPM. Danica is no Dan)

At this point I don't recall her even testing a Cup car. At best I could see her doing a few high profile one-offs such as the Daytona 500 or a road course Watkins Glen just to raise her profile and keep her name out there.

Sean Malone
09-05-07, 04:54 PM
She did? I recall her dad going to Phoenix and talking it up. I recall a lot of posturing to negotiate the best IRL contract she could. But I don't recall a single Cup team mentioned as interested in her.

In the end it worked though. IIRC she got a multi year deal for AGR reported at $25 million with Motorola (though I'll bet a lot of that is in kind stuff and support they were giving to AGR anyway).

No way any Cup team is going to give her the kind of money she (and only she) can get in the IRL at the moment. Not until she shows she can win or at least keep a car in the top 35 in owner points. (Given dingers struggles I don't know why Wheldon thinks there is any interest in him in Cup. Chip is the only one who would possibly give him a sniff and while he is succeeding relatively with JPM, Dan is no JPM. Danica is no Dan)

At this point I don't recall her even testing a Cup car. At best I could see her doing a few high profile one-offs such as the Daytona 500 or a road course Watkins Glen just to raise her profile and keep her name out there.

Dunno, I don't follow NASCAR, never will. I only pick up pieces here and there while keeping tabs on open wheel and based on how much of a lather the media worked up over her "making the jump", it was a small miracle that the IRL was able to "keep her".

you are correct however, I can't find any specific team that was interested in her but I did find this quote.

patrick - "Strength-wise, it's probably easier to drive one of these because they have power steering where we (in the IRL) don't right now."

Lends more credence to the conspiracy of the IRL "power steering".

;)

Insomniac
09-05-07, 05:04 PM
I think her winning would be big news, but I don't think it would raise the profile of the IRL any more than temporarily unless she keeps winning.

Also, what is RM supposed to write about? He covers OWR and CC decided it would be a good idea to have a 7 week break between races followed by a 3 week break.

RichK
09-05-07, 07:46 PM
As for the ICS championship, it is more interesting right now than any other series, but it is hardly compelling. With the leaders crashing into teammates and catching air every week it has the look of clowncar racing more than "compelling".

It's held my interest enough to watch the races (fast forwarding through a few parts). I've been just deleting the Champcar races from the Tivo after about 10 minutes of trying.

Racing Truth
09-05-07, 08:01 PM

Good summation. The whole Danica to NASCAR thing was NEVER gonna happen. That was TJ (her father) just talking it up. It was really laughable.

Sean Malone
09-05-07, 09:22 PM
I think her winning would be big news, but I don't think it would raise the profile of the IRL any more than temporarily unless she keeps winning.

Also, what is RM supposed to write about? He covers OWR and CC decided it would be a good idea to have a 7 week break between races followed by a 3 week break.

Robin can cover lawn mower racing for all I care. His ridiculous statement about the princess is all I was discussing.

Insomniac
09-06-07, 12:03 AM
Robin can cover lawn mower racing for all I care. His ridiculous statement about the princess is all I was discussing.

I wasn't aiming that at anyone in particular. It was more about people thinking he is kissing up to :tony: since CC pulled his hard card. Of course, that may be the case, but I'd think it's more likely that he's not up for any CC cheerleading/puff pieces.

Winston Wolfe
09-06-07, 12:31 AM
RM does have a few points... regarding Danickle the Princess, she is no OW saviour so to speak, but think of when she does get that first win.... the call, if you will.... it will surely make headlines in all mainstream media, and will get the monkey off her back (for the most part). She is with a top ranked team, makes alot more money than most of the people here, and she is well marketed by someone, and prolly the biggest "household" name for OW racing in North America - sad as that may be - it is pretty close to reality.
That first win will gather her all kinds of additional marketability, and that will bring more money, sponsorship, etc.... all kinds of more money for her, and may even give press to the earl, and the irl500. It all seems like a win-win for them :tony: ..... and makes the uphill slog for CCWS even more difficult. Imagine the marketers nightmare for CCWS vs. earl.....
"So, you guys have that famous girl driver who is all over the internet in those pictures of her on the hot rod, and she was the one that led the Indy fi-hunnert and almost won it, right?"
"well..... no, not exactly...."
"What does "not exactly" mean ? - you have the girl, or she didnt almost win the fi-hunnert?"
"well, we dont have the fi-hunnert, we dont have the girl... but we do have huge gaps in our schedule, because we race over in Europe for a couple of weeks in the summer, and we are trying to get a race in China, that'll be really cool... when and if it does happen..... but we DO have the Indy 500 Champion from 2002 = and his name is Paul Tracy.... "
"wait, I thought that guy from Dancing with the Stars.....ahhhh, what's a Helio won that race back then.....didnt he ?"
"ahhhhhh, its a long story......"

Danickle winning any race, whenver it happens, gives more momentum to the earl, her own marketing machine, and lines her pockets with more cash-ish.... all things that are not helping the cause of the CCWS ship at this time.... I tend to agree with Robin on this in a number of symbolic ways, and once again, it points to the sad state of affairs for OWR in the US when the fortunes are resting on the very small shoulders of a 100lb female driver, with very average talent behind the wheel..... 'nuff said

pchall
09-06-07, 07:52 AM

NASCAR loves marketable losers. Mikey Waltrip was 0 for 300+ starts and a star long before being gifted a couple of wins.

Methanolandbrats
09-06-07, 08:24 AM
NASCAR loves marketable losers. Mikey Waltrip was 0 for 300+ starts and a star long before being gifted a couple of wins. To suck as bad as The Lesser Waltrip and have a ride this long you have to have famous kin in the sport. Half-Earnhardt is another example of that as well as that brood of retarded Bodines and the Wallace hillbillies.

Chief
09-06-07, 12:50 PM
The IRL is a festering boil on the azzes of everyone associated with open wheel for the past 12 years. She's the only matter that's oozed out and is worthless too.

pedroskova
09-07-07, 06:37 PM
She remains open wheel racing's only meal ticket out of anonymity.

Meal ticket? ...maybe an hor douvre ...as in buffalo wings.

pchall
09-07-07, 07:17 PM
Meal ticket? ...maybe an hor douvre ...as in buffalo wings.

Buffalo wings are fun to eat, if not very filling, and only need a beer wash them down and you're ready for more. :)

How many beers are you going to need after Danica wings?

pedroskova
09-07-07, 09:49 PM
Buffalo wings are fun to eat, if not very filling, and only need a beer wash them down and you're ready for more. :)

How many beers are you going to need after Danica wings?

I guess my actual point was that there ain't enough there to qualify as leg, and not nearly enough to warrant a designation of breast.

What do you wash Morticia down with? A Whiskey Sour, of course. :p