PDA

View Full Version : Jimmy back in the GAINSCOmobile

FCYTravis
09-04-07, 06:52 PM
...and he wants to kick some butt :p

We just announced today that Vasser will be co-driving with Alex and Jon in the season finale 1000k next weekend at Miller Motorsports Park, as they go for driver and team championship titles.

Jeemy = all class. :)

RHR_Fan
09-04-07, 06:55 PM

We just announced today that Vasser will be co-driving with Alex and Jon in the season finale 1000k next weekend at Miller Motorsports Park, as they go for driver and team championship titles.

:thumbup:

emjaya
09-04-07, 07:12 PM

Any reason they need an extra driver for a 1000k race?

FCYTravis
09-04-07, 07:21 PM
Yeah - it'll keep Alex and Jon better-rested for their stints by allowing more rotation time.

Alex--->Jon--->Jimmy--->Alex, for example.

There's nothing in the rules mandating it - it would be possible to do with two. But Jimmy always does a great job for us, and we feel like he's a plus factor in the enduros.

Both of our rival teams are going with a third - Salvador Duran in the 01, Wayne Taylor in the 10. When it comes to that third-driver matchup, no question about it - advantage GAINSCO. :)

emjaya
09-04-07, 07:49 PM
:) That makes sense and wise thinking.

The local touring car 1000k race is at the end of the month, they use two drivers.The teams mostly bring in a part-timer to make up the pair, with some drivers barely having turned a lap in the past year. :rolleyes:

So the last third of the race when these drivers get tired is normally the most interesting. :D

Cam
09-04-07, 08:38 PM
:) That makes sense and wise thinking.

The local touring car 1000k race is at the end of the month, they use two drivers.The teams mostly bring in a part-timer to make up the pair, with some drivers barely having turned a lap in the past year. :rolleyes:

So the last third of the race when these drivers get tired is normally the most interesting. :D

w00t!!! Can't wait for it! :thumbup:

NismoZ
09-04-07, 08:57 PM
I wish you guys would look for a stronger lineup!:p

Ziggy
09-05-07, 01:37 PM
What about Milka? Vasser is as close as you can get?

NismoZ
09-07-07, 05:01 AM
So, my joke about breaking up the Gainsco Team has some merit? Whats up with the rumor that Lexus may get more HP in the final to make things more "fair"? I smell a rat if true and it lives in Daytona. I can hardly wait for qualifying. Hard to keep a thing like that a secret.

FCYTravis
09-07-07, 01:16 PM
It's not a rumor - it's known fact. If MarkC had done his homework, he'd know that already. Lexus got a motor update for this race. +15-20 horsepower. :eek: :irked:

Wheel-Nut
09-07-07, 01:45 PM
Is Jimmy "race fit" to day a stint or two?

cameraman
09-07-07, 02:38 PM
So, this
LEXUS ( TRD) 5.0L V8
Cylinder bore: 3.702"
Stroke: 3.500"
Minimum crank weight: 38 lbs.
Maximum compression ratio: 11:1
Cylinder head intake runner maximum volume: 139 cc’s
Cylinder head exhaust runner maximum volume: 81 cc’s
Intake Valve: 1.356"
Exhaust valve: 1.147"
Piston w/rings, pin and connecting rod: 1000 gm minimum.
Maximum camshaft lift @ retainer with zero lash: .478"
Maximum cam duration 260° @ .050" lift.
TRD intake #17112-GA008 top, # 17110-GA008 bottom
Toyota Throttle body # 22030-0F010
Maximum fuel pressure 5 bar ( 75.4psi)
Maximum rpm : 7000; minimum crankshaft weight: 38 lbs.
Cam profile on file cannot be changed

becoming this:
LEXUS ( TRD) 5.0L V8
Cylinder bore: 3.720"
Stroke: 3.500"
Minimum crank weight: 38 lbs.
Maximum compression ratio: 11:1
Cylinder head intake runner maximum volume: 145 cc’s
Cylinder head exhaust runner maximum volume: 81 cc’s
Intake Valve: 1.458"
Exhaust valve: 1.178"
Piston w/rings, pin and connecting rod: 1000 gm minimum.
Maximum camshaft lift @ retainer with zero lash: .510"
Maximum cam duration 260° @ .050" lift.
TRD intake #17112-GA008 top, # 17110-GA008 bottom
Toyota Throttle body # 22030-0F010
Maximum fuel pressure 5 bar ( 75.4psi)
Maximum rpm : 7000; minimum crankshaft weight: 38 lbs.
Cam profile on file cannot be changed

nets one 15-20 hp. They nicely buried that information. Okay then, short of going through all the tech bulletins, they listed these engines in the newest bulletin:
BMW S62-B50 32 valve 5.0L V-8
FORD 5.0L V8
INFINITI 4.35L V8
LEXUS ( TRD) 5.0L V8
PORSCHE 3.99L GT3R Flat 6
CAYENNE based 5.0L V8
PONTIAC 5.0L V8

Did anyone besides Lexus get any changes?

extramundane
09-07-07, 02:46 PM
nets one 15-20 hp. They nicely buried that information.

In Roger We Trust. :gomer:

FCYTravis
09-07-07, 02:56 PM
Is Jimmy "race fit" to day a stint or two?
Yep. Jimmy will get most of the Wednesday test day to reacclimate himself with the car, but he performed quite well at the Rolex 24. Even did a double-stint in the wee hours, I think.

pchall
09-07-07, 07:48 PM
So, Jimmy is in a WPOS again.

Don't hurry to post the results unless its a Foyt entry. •

• We've got a "special" place for that. :)

NismoZ
09-08-07, 10:25 AM
So everyone admits to a 15-20 hp gain for Lexus but GA is adamant in stating that now things are merely equal? Does that mean they knowingly gave Pontiac an advantage for all those previous rounds just to tighten things up for a Grande Finale? Geeez, talk about managed competition!:rolleyes:

cameraman
09-08-07, 07:57 PM
So everyone admits to a 15-20 hp gain for Lexus but GA is adamant in stating that now things are merely equal? Stated adamantly exactly where? Hell where is there any mention of the engine change other than the tech bulletin?

NismoZ
09-08-07, 10:13 PM
Check Autoweek.

NismoZ
09-12-07, 11:03 AM
And Justin Wilson with Patterson and Negri at Shank. I'll pick them.:) :thumbup:

NismoZ
09-14-07, 11:12 PM
Pruett takes pole. Didn't see THAT one coming!:shakehead

G.
09-15-07, 11:21 AM
Check Autoweek.That almost qualifies as a link, Nismoz. You're slipping!

:p

Accipiter
09-15-07, 08:29 PM
:eek:

Did you see that!?!?

Madness!

G.
09-15-07, 09:34 PM
I've always liked Pruett (so shoot me), but I've been rooting for the 99 car. For the Liar ^^^^.

Pruett got Screwit.

Bad.

I mean, earl-bad. PT bad.

Chip is still a slimeball, but his team got mucked up.

cameraman
09-15-07, 10:50 PM
My view of it from the stands is Pruett is a weasel. That punt of the 99 was right in front of us and it was just that, a blatant punt.:shakehead

G.
09-15-07, 11:05 PM
My view of it from the stands is Pruett is a weasel. That punt of the 99 was right in front of us and it was just that, a blatant punt.:shakehead
the 99 slowed WAY down, Scooter bumped him and went by. Racin' thang.

No real love for Scooter, always kinda liked him, wanted Travis' team to take to crown, but I don't like how it happened.

No love for GA either, but that was one helluva race, the last Speed stint, anyway.

I'm sorry, it had to be said.

FCYTravis
09-15-07, 11:59 PM
Pruett would have never even been close to Gurney at the end if the 5-laps-down Ganassi 19 car hadn't blocked us for 10 laps. Makes Ganassi's whining about AGR team orders in the IRL rather ironic.

Accipiter
09-16-07, 09:01 AM
You have to think that Grand Am warned the Ganassi team about paybacks after the first contact. Plus the blatant blocking from the 19 car.... It all added up to a deserved penalty, IMO.

Whatever your opinion of what happened in this race, the right guys won the Championship. It was only close at all becasue of the idiotic point system.

And BTW, what about Angelelli obstinately driving a burning car back into the pits in the insane hopes that they could fix it?

And the GT finish was crazy too.

cameraman
09-16-07, 10:24 AM
And BTW, what about Angelelli obstinately driving a burning car back into the pits in the insane hopes that they could fix it? Once it was burning he drove it right up to the fire crew and parked it directly in front of them. That is why they were on it so fast. They had the fire out and the car cleared much faster because of where he parked it.

G.
09-17-07, 01:20 PM
So did Jeemy drive?

RichK
09-17-07, 01:51 PM
Pruett would have never even been close to Gurney at the end if the 5-laps-down Ganassi 19 car hadn't blocked us for 10 laps. Makes Ganassi's whining about AGR team orders in the IRL rather ironic.

Gurney said on WindTunnel that the #19 driver came up after the race and apologized: "I was following orders".

Congrats, Travis. :cool:

cameraman
09-17-07, 01:55 PM
Ya know I'm not sure Vasser did. He was there in the pits all dressed & ready but I never saw or heard anything about him getting in the car. He isn't mentioned anywhere in the coverage (what little there is) of the race.

cameraman
09-17-07, 01:58 PM
Gurney said on WindTunnel that the #19 driver came up after the race and apologized: "I was following orders". It was incredibly blatant, you just watched the gap between the 19 and the cars in front grow with every lap while you watched the 99 going nuts trying to get around it.:shakehead

Easy
09-17-07, 02:48 PM
Congrats to you and the guys Travis.:thumbup:

FCYTravis
09-17-07, 07:37 PM
Unfortunately, Jimmy didn't get a chance to climb in during the race. He ran in practice, and was all suited up and ready to get in to do a single stint after Fogarty... until we had the pit miscue that left Jon out during the yellow. Huge, catastrophic mistake.

At that point, our whole race strategy fell apart and if Scott hadn't decided that keeping Jon behind him was more important than winning the championship, we'd be talking about Pruett as the champion right now. If he had kept Jon behind cleanly, or even let him go, he would have won the title. Our last pit stop was going to be 20 seconds or more longer, because we were going to need more than a half-tank of fuel plus tires and a driver change, while all the 01 needed was a splash-and-go. The atmosphere in our pits was one of a funeral. Dispirited, demoralized and disbelieving. The only hope, and it was a very, very slim one, was for Jon to rocket around Scott and somehow miraculously gain those 20 seconds on the track. It wasn't going to happen, probably, and we knew it.

But apparently Scott wanted to play chicken with Jon, and he should have known better. Jon don't budge. Pruett handed the title right back to us on a carbon-fiber platter.

Eagle104
09-17-07, 09:27 PM
Beauty. Huge congrats to all you GAINSCOs. :thumbup: :cool:

greenie
09-18-07, 01:28 AM
Unfortunately, Jimmy didn't get a chance to climb in during the race. He ran in practice, and was all suited up and ready to get in to do a single stint after Fogarty... until we had the pit miscue that left Jon out during the yellow. Huge, catastrophic mistake.

At that point, our whole race strategy fell apart and if Scott hadn't decided that keeping Jon behind him was more important than winning the championship, we'd be talking about Pruett as the champion right now. If he had kept Jon behind cleanly, or even let him go, he would have won the title. Our last pit stop was going to be 20 seconds or more longer, because we were going to need more than a half-tank of fuel plus tires and a driver change, while all the 01 needed was a splash-and-go. The atmosphere in our pits was one of a funeral. Dispirited, demoralized and disbelieving. The only hope, and it was a very, very slim one, was for Jon to rocket around Scott and somehow miraculously gain those 20 seconds on the track. It wasn't going to happen, probably, and we knew it.

But apparently Scott wanted to play chicken with Jon, and he should have known better. Jon don't budge. Pruett handed the title right back to us on a carbon-fiber platter.

Didn't watch the race, but your synopsis confirms what I've always thought about Pruett. :gomer:

Congrats. :cool:

TKGAngel
09-18-07, 08:52 AM

Travis, congrats to you and the team. From the interviews I saw, your team handled everything with class, while other teams came off looking like overgrown children.

I have a quick question about Jimmy not making it into the car. I might be totally off-base, but I thought that each driver listed on the car had to drive a certain percentage of the race. Or is that only for big events like the 24?

emjaya
09-18-07, 09:37 AM
:thumbup: :D

G.
09-18-07, 01:12 PM
Congrats to the Gainsco team!:thumbup:

You guys staying intact for next year, or are things going to get silly?

Dr. Corkski
09-18-07, 03:24 PM
Don't mess with Travis. :thumbup:

Fio1
09-18-07, 06:03 PM
I'm glad the boys won the championship; they deserved it. Scott Pruett is a little punk sometimes and does play dirty, no matter what RM says. ;) It's pretty sad (actually f-ed up) when you consider that if it wasn't for Bob Stalling both of these guys wouldn't have a ride in anything let alone win a Championship this year.