PDA

View Full Version : Steve Fossettett Missing

Gangrel
09-04-07, 04:00 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/09/04/fossett.missing/index.html

One stubborn man who enjoys pushing the boundaries...hope he is ok....

spinner26
09-04-07, 05:55 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/09/04/fossett.missing/index.html

One rich man who enjoys pushing the boundaries...hope he is ok....

Todays version of fix that post.;)

nissan gtp
09-04-07, 06:02 PM
he's on vacation in Antarctica :irked:

Gangrel
09-04-07, 10:53 PM
Starting to sound like he has gone Amelia Earhart on us...not looking good...

Locator beacon designed to activate on hard impact, but not triggered....Bermuda Triangle?

Elmo T
09-05-07, 08:39 AM

Locator beacon designed to activate on hard impact, but not triggered....Bermuda Triangle?

I was wondering about the ELT. We've responded to false alarm ELT activations - I'd expect they'd be receiving something if it was a hard impact. If not, they can be activated manually. Doesn't sound good.

chop456
09-05-07, 08:44 AM
Area 51.

Sean O'Gorman
09-05-07, 10:31 AM
Maybe he is in Salt Lake City for the Grand-Am race. :gomer:

Methanolandbrats
09-05-07, 10:47 AM
Maybe he is in Salt Lake City for the Grand-Am race. :gomer: He'd be easy to find then. :D

Gangrel
09-05-07, 11:33 AM
Funny enough, it is believed his flight was to scope out a site for him to make a world land-speed record attempt. Bonneville, perhaps?

extramundane
09-05-07, 11:36 AM
Maybe he is in Salt Lake City for the Grand-Am race. :gomer:

Makes sense, since their crowds have been missing for years.

Sean O'Gorman
09-05-07, 12:29 PM
That was the joke.

In all seriousness though, didn't he race in IMSA WSC for a brief period?

extramundane
09-05-07, 01:27 PM
In all seriousness though, didn't he race in IMSA WSC for a brief period?

He certainly ran Sebring and LeMans in '96 for Courage & Kremer, but that's all I know of right off. He may well have run other times as well.

Sean O'Gorman
09-05-07, 03:09 PM
I think the IRL was created for drivers like him. :p

Racing Truth
09-05-07, 03:55 PM

:rofl: 'Ole Steve was down on his luck, ya know.

Serious note: Hope for the best.

Andrew Longman
09-05-07, 04:07 PM

13 posts to go from "hope and Godspeed" to an IRL bash. SeanO you're losing your fastball. :p

Seriously, that is a big lonely country out there to be lost in. The facts that he made/has made no distress calls, weather was good, no rescue beacon is troubling. That there is a lot of flat space to land a crippled plane is good though.

Winston Wolfe
09-06-07, 12:12 AM
The old boy seems to be a pretty cool dude... he has: swam the English Channel, flown around the world solo (nonstop), set an altitude record for a glider, circumnavigated the globe in a hot air balloon (solo), and has raced at LeMans and Daytona.... sheesh, dood has lived a pretty brilliant drea, if you ask me....
I hope they find him in good shape.... and he gets lost taking off on a mission to find a nice place to break\set a land speed record. Sounds like a cool guy to have a couple drinks with and hear a few of the stories about some of the things he has done...:thumbup:

oddlycalm
09-06-07, 05:37 AM
Hope things turn out well, but it's not looking good. Aside from not having any idea where to search, and no locator beacon, when a tube and fabric airplane wrecks it simple folds up into a small wad and isn't easy to spot.

The Bellanca Citabria Decathlon is a good handling old taildragger but the newest one was built back in the late 70's as Bellanca called it quits in 1980 and for the last couple years they only built a few.

http://openverse.com/~dtinker/Stanley/Images/Citabria.jpg

opinionated ow
09-06-07, 06:45 AM
Hope things turn out well, but it's not looking good. Aside from not having any idea where to search, and no locator beacon, when a tube and fabric airplane wrecks it simple folds up into a small wad and isn't easy to spot.

The Bellanca Citabria Decathlon is a good handling old taildragger but the newest one was built back in the late 70's as Bellanca called it quits in 1980 and for the last couple years they only built a few.

http://openverse.com/~dtinker/Stanley/Images/Citabria.jpg

not necessarily, I flew a citabria 2 years ago that was 6 months old (it since crashed and burnt out). They are made new by American Champion Aircraft.

cameraman
09-06-07, 04:15 PM
In case anyone is wondering why his locator beacon isn't working...

There are approximately 170,000 of the older generation 121.5 MHz ELTs in service. Unfortunately, these have proven to be highly ineffective. They have a 97% false alarm rate, activate properly in only 12% of crashes, and provide no identification data.

Andrew Longman
09-06-07, 04:47 PM
He apparently also has a wristwatch thingy he always wears that has locator capability... but he has to turn it on.

Insomniac
02-16-08, 10:29 PM
STEVE FOSSETT, the tycoon and adventurer who became the first person to circle the globe in a hot-air balloon, has officially been declared dead five months after he disappeared in a flight over the mountains of Nevada.

Fossett, who was 63, was flying a single engine aircraft when he vanished from radar screens. A month-long search and rescue mission found no trace of Fossett or his plane.

Yesterday in Cook County Circuit Court, Illinois, Judge Jeffrey Malak said there was “sufficient evidence” to declare Fossett dead after hearing from his wife Peggy, a family friend and a search-and-rescue expert.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/article3381304.ece

OW
02-16-08, 11:02 PM
amazed we haven't found him
amazing how large and desolate some parts of the US are.

Sorry but I can't stop thinking, lets go back to Nuclear power; seems we have plenty of places to put the waiste

rip - Steve

greenie
02-17-08, 02:26 AM
amazed we haven't found him
amazing how large and desolate some parts of the US are.

Sorry but I can't stop thinking, lets go back to Nuclear power; seems we have plenty of places to put the waiste

rip - Steve

You shrooming?

ferrarigod
02-17-08, 02:51 AM
You shrooming?

tat'sd be neat.

OW
02-17-08, 10:00 AM
You shrooming?

No...On the contrary ...I have wondered for 15 years, why we stopped preferring Nuclear Power... on the premise we have no place to put the waiste. I have thought "there must be places" like in Nevada that it would'nt harm anyone...for as many years.

The fact that they can't find Steve (In Nevada just fired the neurons is all) No shrooms...

So.. sorry for the "leap" from a Steve Fosset thread...but for me wasn't a leap at all. more like a trigger.

BTW... With the push towards electric cars ...What I "said" could happen.
Bring the Nuke's back...forget the fossil fuel..

Wow ... "look at those colors"

:thumbup: OW

trish
02-17-08, 11:08 AM
No...On the contrary ...I have wondered for 15 years, why we stopped preferring Nuclear Power... on the premise we have no place to put the waiste. I have thought "there must be places" like in Nevada that it would'nt harm anyone...for as many years.

The fact that they can't find Steve (In Nevada just fired the neurons is all) No shrooms...

So.. sorry for the "leap" from a Steve Fosset thread...but for me wasn't a leap at all. more like a trigger.

BTW... With the push towards electric cars ...What I "said" could happen.
Bring the Nuke's back...forget the fossil fuel..

Wow ... "look at those colors"

:thumbup: OWIf you'd seen "The Hills Have Eyes", you wouldn't be endorsing such a thing.

OW
02-17-08, 11:17 AM
fiction

cameraman
10-01-08, 03:54 PM

They may have found some of his stuff near Mammoth Lake.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7647303.stm

Insomniac
10-02-08, 12:59 PM
They think they found his plane: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/story/2008/10/02/ST2008100201712.html

Gnam
10-02-08, 02:58 PM
That's too bad. The area they are talking about is nothing but huge glacier polished, granite mountains. Tough to miss if he flew into a cloud. But, I thought it was clear the day he disappeared. An autopsy might say if he had a heart attack before the crash, but without a body it'll be difficult to say.

I think the trail the hiker found him along is the John Muir Trail, which runs North-South through the Sierras. Maybe they'll mark the spot with a memorial.

dando
10-02-08, 03:17 PM
Confirmed and more 411:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/10/02/steve.fossett.search/index.html

-Kevin