PDA

View Full Version : Champ Car, 80’s Heavy Metal and European Competition

Sean Malone
09-04-07, 02:31 PM
Reading about the “Euro Swing” Champ Car events that I miss due to no ESPNC, made me think of heavy metal from the 80’s. There are many similarities between the two actually; both were arguable at their peak in the late 80’s early ‘90’s. Both had ‘stars’ from across the pond and from here in the States. Fast forward to “the new millennium” and the similarities remain; both are mere shadows of their former selves, going from packed arenas / speedways to clubs and makeshift circuits with only the nostalgic diehards and event goers paying the entry fee. While 80’s hair bands and ten minute long shredding guitar solos have gone the way of the doodoo, so have the multiple engine manufactures, multiple chassis and overall level of attention (fan and media) in the Champ Car world.

Did you ever want to see (insert favorite guitar god) in concert but missed the chance in the 80’s? That’s ok, chances are they are on tour as I write this. I hear the crowds are still healthy on their “Euro Swing” tours. Sure, there’s not much hair left on the hair bands heads and the shredding guitar solo’s may be a bit slower , oh and that bottle of Jack Daniels the singer used to drink is replaced with a bottled water.
Did you miss CART at Road America in ’92? The good news is that Champ Car still races there! The bad news is if you’re reading this you already knew that! And how do you think it compares? About the same as a dew rag sportin’ metal god who can’t quite hit the high notes anymore in my opinion.

So, Champ Car is going to rock the Old Country and take no prisoners in a European Tour D’Force eh? I’m assuming many journalist and fans alike will be asking the question “what does Champ offer that GP2 doesn’t?”. The F1 comparos are also a thing of the past. So help me out here because I really don’t know…“what does Champ Car offer that GP2 doesn’t?”.

I read that Ratt is coming to town. I think I’ll pass.

extramundane
09-04-07, 02:40 PM
<slow-clap>

:rofl:

Dr. Corkski
09-04-07, 02:56 PM
It's the final countdown.

skaven
09-04-07, 03:18 PM
Fade to black...

Sean Malone
09-04-07, 03:22 PM
Appetite for Destruction.

Scratch that...that's the IRL.

extramundane
09-04-07, 03:33 PM
http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/2373/untitled1pz7.jpg

Al Czervik
09-04-07, 04:11 PM
http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/2373/untitled1pz7.jpg

:rofl: x 11

Sean Malone
09-04-07, 04:17 PM
Is the Champ Car "free form" schedule equivalent to progressive free form jazz rock? I think so.

dando
09-04-07, 04:44 PM
both were arguable at their peak in the late 80’s early ‘90’s.

So was my hairline. :) :cry:

And how is it that peeps can live w/o the American Gladiators channel on Sat AM's? :gomer:

-Kevin

Dr. Corkski
09-04-07, 05:55 PM
http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/5207/purpleroundyhj5.jpg

FCYTravis
09-04-07, 06:15 PM
While... ten minute long shredding guitar solos have gone the way of the doodoo

They have? News to us.

Signed,

Dragonforce

:laugh:

Dirk Diggler
09-04-07, 06:19 PM
We're really big in Belgium.

RHR_Fan
09-04-07, 06:32 PM
I'm too young to know about the heavy metal, hair-band days. :D
But that also means I'm too young to remember the glory days. :(

And did y'all hear that they are bringing American Gladiators back in a more "updated" way? No more mullets?! :gomer:

RusH
09-04-07, 11:22 PM
I feel your pain Sean

There is only one place left to watch multi-manufacture involvement in a road racing series here at home.
All we need now is the ALMS to do the oval at Indy and we are set. :gomer: