PDA

View Full Version : 08 Schedule?

Andrew Longman
09-03-07, 11:45 AM
When will it be out?

When should it be out? I think NASCAR put their schedule out about three weeks ago. Sponsor budgets are nearly set, no?

When was the 07 schedule released?

I don't recall any rumors about any new venues. Did I miss them?

What can they do to fill the gaps? What will they likely do?

Try to hold back your sarcasm. ;)

DagoFast
09-03-07, 11:56 AM
It's not easy to put out a schedule when you're floating down a muddy river without a paddle. Perhaps they can shout it out to someone on the shore before the canoe goes over the falls.

Mark521
09-03-07, 12:05 PM
Here is some conflicting info:

1. PG said at the RA fan forum that the schedule would be out in September (I'm assuming he meant September 2007).

2. The latest from SpeedTv says "...as the proposed Champ Car schedule will not be submitted to the FIA until October and then will be subject to approval or modification."

I'd be happy if they announced a FIA approved schedule by Surfers, but I wouldn't count on it.

SteveH
09-03-07, 03:13 PM
One was floated around Assen but it still had Phoenix on it. And no Portland. Assen and Zolder remain but Zolder's date had changed. So that means two Euro-trips in 08.

Big gaps in the 08 schedule remain. :thumdown:

Ziggy
09-03-07, 03:15 PM
Whatever they do, I sure hope they schedule China again :gomer:

Elmo T
09-03-07, 05:05 PM
Whatever they do, I sure hope they schedule China again :gomer:

Tradition... :thumbup:

STD
09-03-07, 05:08 PM
:rofl:

Indy
09-03-07, 06:20 PM

You don't know what Zhuhai means. :gomer:

nrc
09-03-07, 08:15 PM

Well someone's got to stand up for it.

RusH
09-03-07, 08:18 PM
The schedule and drivers list should ready by late March 2008, be patient.
Maybe when KK gets back from Tibet (or Bradenton). The Dalai Lama will guide us,,,,,,

sorry :gomer:

NismoZ
09-03-07, 09:39 PM
Johnson said to look for 15 races in '08. No doubt they are looking for 2 more European rounds to match with Assen and Zolder with a wide separation between the tours. A partial schedule was actually floated at Assen with a German race (no venue specified) paired with Zolder in June, and Assen on the same weekend as this season. Speculation for a 4th round still includes Athens, England or Spain. Hell, even the IRL is looking at Estoril. Hey, you don't think maybe...nah:). KK says a schedule will be submitted by mid-October, but will be be subject to FIA approval. (the "China lesson") That means if an F-1 date is on a near by continent in the same month...:rolleyes:

stroker
09-03-07, 10:02 PM
At the risk of sounding like ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,boi, I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt for '08 schedule. I think that after having the complete clusterf&%k of this year (and seen the results online) CC management is going to be careful in what they say and when. I'm not wild about more races in Yurp until we have one in the Eastern half of the US, but if they have a crowd and are shown on US TV on a channel and time we can actually follow, all the better.

Indy
09-03-07, 10:31 PM
Did anyone who saw the proposed schedule see which date they chose for RA? 8/10?

robot9000
09-04-07, 08:22 AM
The interview on Speed makes it sound like they are chasing used up F1 races.

The interview made it sound to me like the though process is this - fill the void left by F1 and that will bring in sponsors as they increase their exposure in Europe. The fully sponsored teams then compete in the US and poof! Problems solved.

Unfortunatly, I see 2 problems with this.

1. That is somewhat the same thinking behind street racing - 'thats where the crowds are and the money is'. Thats not working out so swell....

2. Many of the F1 teams bemoaned the loss of the Indy race because most of their sponsors user bass is in the US. Um, the US is the largest consumer market in the world. I don't know about you, but I'm not a big user of Vodafone, etc.

SteveH
09-04-07, 09:46 AM
Did anyone who saw the proposed schedule see which date they chose for RA? 8/10?

The article I read didn't specify dates but you've probably got a pretty good chance of emailing CC and suggesting a date. I'm not totally unconvinced that's not how they do business, i.e. some dude from Phoenix has an idea for a race, emails CC and the next thing you know its on the schedule. :gomer: I think some emails from Florida have also guided the series. So give it your best shot.

Good Luck! :thumbup:

robot9000
09-04-07, 10:04 AM
If we see a schedule before the end of Feb, colour me shocked (Euro spelling as a nod to our future).

Easy
09-04-07, 11:57 AM
Sponsor budgets are nearly set, no?

Most (non dad's wallet) F3 sponsorships have been set for 2008. Big sponsorship deals are usually concluded by September 1.

DagoFast
09-04-07, 06:39 PM

Place fan. :gomer:

Insomniac
09-04-07, 07:16 PM
It will come out when it comes out I guess. I just hope my initial reaction isn't WTF?

cart7
09-04-07, 10:42 PM
I'm guessing tickets to 08 races will be made with a label gun.

Even if you're race gets cancelled, they'll just send you a new label to another race. :gomer:

Indy
09-05-07, 12:49 AM
Place fan. :gomer:

Admittedly. :gomer:

ferrarigod
09-05-07, 01:45 AM
i've got 5 bucks on a week before the first race. so april. at least 1 cancelling of an event as well.

It isn't a Champ Car World Series/OWRS year without one.

Andrew Longman
09-05-07, 01:46 PM
Admittedly. :gomer:

Ditto.

Didn't go last year because I had just lost my job.

Didn't go this year because it was on the same date as our annual extended family gathering at Watkins Glen. Wife said we were going to the Glen. :(

OK, so enough clever jabs, folks. How about thoughtful conjencture on what the schedule will actually look like?

emjaya
09-05-07, 05:38 PM
This is a start. The rest....:confused:

Surfers Paradise: 16-19 October.

shaggy_socal
09-06-07, 02:46 AM
The schedule and drivers list should ready by late March 2008, be patient.

So Coyne's going to announce his driver lineup before the first race of the season? Wow. :D

DagoFast
09-06-07, 03:48 AM
OK, so enough clever jabs, folks. How about thoughtful conjencture on what the schedule will actually look like?

Honestly? I think Vegas is likely dead meat too, and Portland sounds bad. Frankly with that much bad mojo and the added downhill momentum I don't think they have many options left in the US.

Mexico and now Canada have become cabified with better turnouts for NASCAR's 2nd tier series than CCWS had. Not much future north or south of the border for CC with 'cup being dangled in front of both countries.

They've botched Korea and China multiple times. So it comes down to being an optimist and hoping that the blind squirrel somehow finds the nut or you are labeled a realist because you subscribe to the notion that futility is trying the same thing repeatedly and expecting a different result. Japan? Not without Yoda or Honda. I doubt Mazda has the juice or really cares about the Japaneese market all that much. So scratch Asia.

The middle east? Do oil rich sheiks shop at the bargain store or at Saks 5th avenue? I'd say the latter, and Bernie is Saks 5th ave. But say they are really looking for a deal, why would they not go with the Arab owned A1GP?

Africa? Doubt it.

OZ? They are already second fiddle to the V8 Supercars. (admit it, deep down you know it's true) No expansion there.

That leaves yurrup. Is it a doable, sustainable plan? Maybe. Do I care? Nope.
Do you?

jonovision_man
09-06-07, 09:52 AM
Honestly? I think Vegas is likely dead meat too, and Portland sounds bad. Frankly with that much bad mojo and the added downhill momentum I don't think they have many options left in the US.

There's always options. They'll rent a track if they have to.

Mexico and now Canada have become cabified with better turnouts for NASCAR's 2nd tier series than CCWS had. Not much future north or south of the border for CC with 'cup being dangled in front of both countries.

That's nonsense.

The outlook for CCWS hasn't changed in Canada with the NASCAR stuff, not in the least. It's still steady, the races will still do well.

There's just nowhere left to expand... unless you revive Vancouver or something.

They've botched Korea and China multiple times. So it comes down to being an optimist and hoping that the blind squirrel somehow finds the nut or you are labeled a realist because you subscribe to the notion that futility is trying the same thing repeatedly and expecting a different result. Japan? Not without Yoda or Honda. I doubt Mazda has the juice or really cares about the Japaneese market all that much. So scratch Asia.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Asia on the schedule yet again... and 50/50 for them actually pulling it off.

The middle east? Do oil rich sheiks shop at the bargain store or at Saks 5th avenue? I'd say the latter, and Bernie is Saks 5th ave. But say they are really looking for a deal, why would they not go with the Arab owned A1GP?

Middle East would be a shock.

Africa? Doubt it.

A few years ago there were those South Africa rumours.

OZ? They are already second fiddle to the V8 Supercars. (admit it, deep down you know it's true) No expansion there.

New Zealand was rumoured.

You missed South America, Brazil was also rumoured at one point, could be back on the schedule before it gets cancelled. Argentina was rumoured too IIRC.

That leaves yurrup.

Adding 2 in Europe would offset the 2 they'll lose and they could keep going with this.

Is it a doable, sustainable plan? Maybe. Do I care? Nope.
Do you?

I care or I wouldn't keep posting. :p

jono

Andrew Longman
09-06-07, 10:14 AM
I care too.

Let's see. If memory serves.

Givens because they own them

LB
Toronto

Givens because Lanigan owns them and are successful

Cleveland
Houston

Given because they have been successful

Edmonton
Surfers

Likely because the promoter said CC will be back next year

Assen
Zolder
Mt. Tremblanc

Likely because it doesn't cost much and make too much sense

Elkhart Lake

Possible because there is a track, money and interest

China

Uncertain because of need for city support but seemingly good events

Vegas
SJ

On life support without Mexican drivers

Mexico

I think there are two major issues:

1) close gaps in schedule even if they don't add races
2) these venues need to be better aligned with sponsors. Especially with the gaps in the schedule these venues are too disjointed to help sponsors get the most from their investment. There are not enough races in any one region to create sustained fan interest, especially without local drivers.

dando
09-06-07, 11:52 AM

2) these venues need to be better aligned with sponsors. Especially with the gaps in the schedule these venues are too disjointed to help sponsors get the most from their investment. There are not enough races in any one region to create sustained fan interest, especially without local drivers.

They need to get races scheduled earlier as well. The season needs to end in September. There's just too much happening in the fall to steal eyeballs or fannies from other sports.

-Kevin

DagoFast
09-06-07, 12:23 PM
I care too.

Let's see. If memory serves.

Givens because they own them

LB
Toronto

Givens because Lanigan owns them and are successful

Cleveland
Houston

Given because they have been successful

Edmonton
Surfers

Likely because the promoter said CC will be back next year

Assen
Zolder
Mt. Tremblanc

Likely because it doesn't cost much and make too much sense

Elkhart Lake

Possible because there is a track, money and interest

China

Uncertain because of need for city support but seemingly good events

Vegas
SJ

Owning something is nice, we all "own" things. But the question that needs to be asked is: Are all these races profitable? Clearly, some events may be, but others are not. Certainly few if any of the teams beyond NHL are profitable. New sponsorship, whether for teams or events or the series seems to be an impossible sell.

On life support without Mexican drivers

Mexico

Yep. Once again, NASCAR has out maneuvered CCWS. They simply have the resources (not to mention the smarts) to put any Mexican driver they wish in to a decent seat for any races there.

The same for Canada. Carpentier, Ranger. And like it or not, Jacques will be huge for them, no matter how 2 dozen of us perceive it for Jacques. Need proof? See: Montoya, Juan Pablo.

The schedule is a train wreck. Not that I like NASCAR or think they are perfect, I don't and they aren't. Case in point: Holidays. Holidays and racing go together like ice cream and cookies. For 50 years, Labor day weekend was the Southern 500 at Darlington for stock car fans. Moving that race to Fontucky was the biggest mistake they ever made.

Think about it. For open wheel, we always had Memorial day. For a long time the 4th of July was Cleveland. Fathers day was Portland. CART was begining to build their schedule around those holiday weekends.

Champ Car needs to embrace those holiday weekends. But how are they going to do that and fill in the gaps when they barely have enough dates to fill up the holidays?

And your point about lack of sponsor value is valid. As is your point about the lack of races in a region. It makes expansion to Europe all the more silly unless you can admit they are simply chasing some dollars. Any dollars. Because the money here in North America is drying up. Unless you are racing a cab.

Gnam
09-06-07, 01:48 PM
When will it be out?

What will they likely do?
We can use the ALMS 2008 schedule as a guide. When does that come out?

extramundane
09-06-07, 02:41 PM
We can use the ALMS 2008 schedule as a guide. When does that come out?

Dunno, but it's supposed to look almost exactly the same as 2007, 'cept perhaps the addition of Portland w/IRL in the vicinity this year's CC Portland date

Sean Malone
09-06-07, 02:45 PM
Dunno, but it's supposed to look almost exactly the same as 2007, 'cept perhaps the addition of Portland w/IRL in the vicinity this year's CC Portland date

prepare for race forum drama when Portland rolls around.

jonovision_man
09-06-07, 03:46 PM
Your posting style (including your comments in my quote) makes it annoying to respond, so mostly I won't bother, but:

Canada is going cabs

The NASCAR race will have NO effect on the ChampCar events. None. Zero.

Canada is a big country, a successful Busch race in Quebec does not a major change in the country make.

Newsflash - ChampCar isn't big in Canada, it never really was. The Molson Indy was big, but it was about that brand, not about the series. It's just as niche and ignored here as it is in the U.S.

I'm hardly,,, a ,,,, cheerleader. :rolleyes: That's a new one. :p

I'm simply pointing out that they will find the 2-3 races they need to replace what they'll lose, there are places left to race and as long as the chequebook is still open they'll be racing there.

jono

RHR_Fan
09-06-07, 04:32 PM
They need to get races scheduled earlier as well. The season needs to end in September. There's just too much happening in the fall to steal eyeballs or fannies from other sports.

-Kevin

I agree. Or early October at the latest. Remember when Laguna Seca was the last race of the season? I think that always ended in late August or the beginning of September.

Gnam
09-06-07, 05:07 PM
Will Champ Car to return to Laguna Seca?
According to the track's latest newsletter they are making improvements that might attract Champ Car back.

New Beach Volleyball Court

A regulation beach volleyball sand court is being set up at Corona Beach and fans are encouraged to play. Pros from the EVP tour will be on hand for demonstrations and to assist in organizing matches.
Stay tuned.

jonovision_man
09-06-07, 05:24 PM
^^^ :rofl:

jono

DagoFast
09-07-07, 12:56 AM
Your posting style (including your comments in my quote) makes it annoying to respond, so mostly I won't bother, but:

The NASCAR race will have NO effect on the ChampCar events. None. Zero.

Canada is a big country, a successful Busch race in Quebec does not a major change in the country make.

Newsflash - ChampCar isn't big in Canada, it never really was. The Molson Indy was big, but it was about that brand, not about the series. It's just as niche and ignored here as it is in the U.S.

I'm hardly,,, a ,,,, cheerleader. :rolleyes: That's a new one. :p

I'm simply pointing out that they will find the 2-3 races they need to replace what they'll lose, there are places left to race and as long as the chequebook is still open they'll be racing there.

jono

Didn't mean to get yer panties all bunched up there. The ,,,, weren't meant for you. They were merely there to correctly identify the real source to any rumors of wonderful new events. To be fair, I can honestly see why the way you took it would upset you. Very sorry.

Since you have now stipulated any new events will be possible only if CCWS opens their "chequebook" I'll decline any further differences on that point.

I do believe Canada will become cab country in the coming years. We can agree to disagree there.

As to the way I responded by throwing in some bold comments, no apologies. I'm fu&*%ng lazy. :cry:

jonovision_man
09-07-07, 09:21 AM
Didn't mean to get yer panties all bunched up there. The ,,,, weren't meant for you. They were merely there to correctly identify the real source to any rumors of wonderful new events. To be fair, I can honestly see why the way you took it would upset you. Very sorry.

I wasn't upset. I was ****ING LIVID!!! ;)

I do believe Canada will become cab country in the coming years. We can agree to disagree there.

I believe interest in NASCAR is going downhill everywhere, including here, despite the success of the Busch race.

As to the way I responded by throwing in some bold comments, no apologies. I'm fu&*%ng lazy. :cry:

lol. :)

jono

nrc
09-07-07, 09:19 PM
Well, we have one date - Spring Training - Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca for spring training March 10-14.

http://www.montereyherald.com/breaking/ci_6827567

Sean O'Gorman
09-11-07, 08:21 PM
According to the track's latest newsletter they are making improvements that might attract Champ Car back.

A regulation beach volleyball sand court is being set up at Corona Beach and fans are encouraged to play. Pros from the EVP tour will be on hand for demonstrations and to assist in organizing matches.

Stay tuned.

You can't make this stuff up.

tllips
09-12-07, 10:18 AM

Stay tuned.

The Volleyball court must have been the deciding factor!
Speed Story (http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/champcar/40172/)