PDA

View Full Version : The OC recipe page....

Pages : [1] 2 3

devilmaster
09-01-07, 12:49 PM
Since we do these threads once in a while for specific foods, and I thought it'd be better to amagamate some good foodstuffs into one easy to find (and hopefully, 22+ page) thread...

And since nicole's been bugging me for this gumbo, i figgered i'll post it that way someone might have a better idea to make my gumbo better. :)

So i'm not going to give an official 'recipe' per se, I've worked my recipe from alton brown and a webpage called www.gumbopages.com. (kick ass site for cajun food)

I'm still learnin and fiddlin with it... but this should get you a good simple gumbo, perhaps not completely authentic because its hard to find andouille sausage and other authentic ingredients.

so the things you need (not exact in any way, I guesstimate most except where you need to be specific... check alton's recipe on foodnetwork if you need exact)

Shrimp 31-40 count, head on if at all possible - makes a better stock. one small box of head on or one small bag of uncooked easy peel, deveined, shell on shrimp.
Sausage - 3 to 4 links of smoked sausage - andouille if you can find it.
1 med to lrg onion
1 green pepper
2 to 3 stocks celery
2 medium tomatoes - I use plum.
2 tbsp minced garlic.
1 carton of low sodium chicken stock
flour
oil
butter or margarine
bay leaves - 2 to 3
thyme
cayenne
cajun seasoning - I use a florida one called cajun classiques cajun seasoning https://findersfinefoods.com/products/brand.asp?warehouse=00&brand_code=CAJN don't use zatarain's creole seasoning - way too salty. The gumbopages has a recipe for creole seasoning without salt. That's for my next attempt with gumbo.
File powder - I use zatarains for that. You should be able to find it.
Rice - uncooked or cooked. uncooked if you add it directly to the gumbo and let it cook. (which I do, but its sacriledge to cajuns) or cook it separate and ladle the gumbo over it when serving.

So here we go.

If you got head on shrimp: remove the heads by ripping apart where the tailmeat meets the head. put the heads in a large stock pot. take a small pair of scissors, locate the vein (digestive track) on the tail, and snip the meat and the shell apart down the back (opp. side of the legs) of the tail. This does 2 things - makes the shell easy to remove, and makes the vein accessible. Remove the shell and add to the stock pot, place the tail under a bowl of water and remove the vein (leave vein in water) clean shrimp goes into a small container. Repeat till done and it takes a while.

Tails only? remove the shell and place in a large stock pot. tail meat goes into a small container. When done with either, place tails in the fridge.

Add the 1 carton of chicken stock to the shells in the stock pot. Add water to basically double the amount of liquid in the pot. Place on the stove, bring to a boil , then lower to simmer and let it go, uncovered for about 45 to an hour, and it will reduce. Don't let it reduce more than the original chicken stock amount. Strain the shrimp bits out.

About half way in to the stock, I make the roux. (I don't own a large dutch oven so I make my roux in a cast iron skillet and then add the roux to the stock pot later.) If you have a large cast iron dutch oven or the like, add the stock to the roux. Makes one less dish to clean.

Crank the oven to 300°F. Add a tbsp of butter or margarine to a 1/2 cup measuring cup. Rill remainder of cup with oil. Pour into the skillet, then add a 1/2 cup of flour to that. Sprinkle just a bit more flour on top. Stir really well. Place skillet in oven and let it go for 30-45 minutes. I can't give you an exact time, but check it every few minutes and stir every 10-15 or so. I go for a darker roux, and its like playing culinary chicken. If you see black specks in the roux, its probably burnt and you need to throw it out and start the roux again. The darker you get, the more flavor it imparts. If you want traditional, go for a brick roux, and it'll be dark red. But a brown roux is quite acceptable.

While that's going on, dice the onion, 1/2 the green pepper, and the celery. (to make a 2/1/1 ratio, more or less). Mince the garlic if you need to, and dice the tomatoes.

Once you get the roux to where you want it, remove from the oven and place on the stovetop with med/high heat. stir in the onion/green pep/celery to the roux. Continue stirring until they soften.

Once softened, add 1 tbsp of salt, 1 tsp of black pepper (I go about 12 grinds of my pepper mill which has a pepper blend in it) the bay leaves, the tomatoes, 1 tsp of chopped thyme, the minced garlic and 1/4 - 1/2 tsp of cayenne. Stir in, then add the stock.

Cover and cook on low-med low for an hour.

About 30 minutes into that, I add the rice. Slice up the smoked sausage and liberally sprinkle the cajun seasoning over them. Brown sausage in a pan (preferably non stick) then add to the gumbo. If there is some fond left in that pan, deglaze with some of the gumbo liquid and return it all to the gumbo. (don't want to lose any of that cooked goodness)

At 1 hour, kill the heat, and add your uncooked shrimp tails, and 1 Tbsp of the file powder. Let sit for 15 minutes (the gumbo is hot enough to cook the shrimp completely) and then stir the gumbo to ensure the file Return the heat to warm and serve.

When I serve, I add a little file and cajun spice to each bowl, then ladle in the gumbo on top.

If you want to add different things, its very simple. Any other shellfish like crawfish? Uncooked shells add to the stock then add the meat around the same time as the shrimp meat. Chicken? I'd brown the chicken meat just like the sausage and add around the same time.

I found some cajun catfish at the market, and sliced it, rolled it in a cornmeal dredge, fried it, then added it as a garnish to a bowl. Or you could not fry it, and add it to the gumbo.

At least in Windsor, oriental markets are your best friend for gumbo. You can find alot more than in commercial supermarkets.

Good luck Nicole. :)

RHR_Fan
09-01-07, 01:29 PM
I'll let you know how it turns out in a few months. :D

Hard Driver
09-03-07, 01:21 AM
1 package of brownies....

nrc
09-03-07, 02:42 AM
Isn't gumbo supposed to have okra in it?

Gangrel
09-03-07, 08:14 AM
I'll bite... :D

The wife's favorite pasta dish....

Pasta with Sundried Tomatoes
- 1 lb pene pasta
- 7 oz sundried tomatoes (from package or from garden - your choice), cut into strips
- 15 oz roasted red peppers (can use a jar, I prefer to roast fresh ones on the grill), cut into strips
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 8 tbsp pesto sauce
1/4 cup fresh grated parmesan

Boil the Pene. Drain the pasta, but reserve the water and set water aside to settle. Combine the pasta, sundried tomatoes, peppers, and shallots.

With the reserved water, gently pour off all but the quarter cup. This should be the cloudiest, starchiest of the reserved water. Combine the pesto sauce with this water, then pour over the pasta and combine thoroughly.

Top the pasta with the parmesan, combine lightly, and serve. Should easily serve 3-4.

RaceGrrl
09-03-07, 09:20 AM
Pineapple Upside Down Cake

1 (small) single serving can pineapple juice
1-2 shots vanilla vodka
1 1/2 tsp Grenadine
Ice

Combine pineapple juice and vodka in shaker with ice and shake 15-20 seconds. Pour into tumbler. Juice should be frothy. Drizzle grenadine into center of glass.

Easy, no oven required. :)

Methanolandbrats
09-03-07, 09:35 AM
Chicken with Tomato and Lemon Champcar Gravy

Pre-heat a large frying pan. Add a splash of olive oil. Add a cut-up chicken and brown the chicken. When chicken is browned, remove it and add one medium minced onion to the pan with a little tomato juice. Deglaze the pan, reduce heat and cook the onion.

In a medium bowl combine a splash of lemon juice, ground black pepper and 1/2 jar of Paul Newman Marinara Sauce. Add about a cup of water and stir.

When onions are cooked, return chicken to frying pan, add the sauce and simmer. While it is cooking take a small bowl, add some milk and whisk in a bit of flour. Set this aside, you'll use it for the gravy.

When chicken is done, pour the sauce into a saucepan. Leave chicken in the frying pan covered and off the heat. Bring the saucepan to a low boil and slowly stir in a bit of the flour/milk combination to thicken the gravy to taste. When gravy is done, remove from heat. Spoon a bit on each piece of chicken.

Serve gravy over mashed potatos. I discovered this by accident on one of those WTF is for dinner, scavenge in the refrigerator nights. The fried chicken bits combine nicely with the tomato and hint of lemon in the gravy and everyone who has tried it loved it.

Andrew Longman
09-03-07, 12:12 PM

Not necessarily. When I saw the thread title I immediately thought to post a gumbo I make every year for my brother in law's Daytona 500 party. Pretty similar to DM's but I built it about 20 years ago off a Prudhomme (Paul not Don) recipe. No okra.

Gumbo is just country stew with the holy cajun trinity of green pepper, celery and onion; stock with a roux to thinken it; spice, and whatever seafood, sausage or anything else you have laying around. I like to add boneless chicken thighs and scallops in mine (in addition to schrimp and sausage.

Kind of like chili, it is highly personalized and opportunitisic ingredient-wise.

Trevor makes the below when we go camping at Watkins Glen every year. We do it with either pork or beef ribs. I prefer the pork. These are soooo good. They just fall off the bone. And if you've never cooked with the dutch oven, you'll find it very cool. Best thing he learned scouting.

Easy Barbecue Beef Ribs
8 lbs. beef back ribs; well trimmed
4 cloves garlic; minced
Emeril's Rustic Rub* to taste
3 Tbs. dry minced onion
1 (12 oz.) bottle hickory barbecue sauce
1-2 tsp. red pepper flakes (to taste)
1 (12 oz.) bottle chili sauce

Separate ribs by cutting between the bones so they are in single rib pieces. Trim excess fat from both skin and membrane sides of each rib. Season ribs with Emeril's Rustic Rub then place in a large ziploc bag and refrigerate for 1 hour.

Arrange ribs in a 12" deep Dutch oven. In a medium bowl mix together the remaining ingredients and spoon over ribs. Cover oven and bake using 8-10 briquettes bottom and 14-16 briquettes top (325° F.) for 2 hours. Baste with pan drippings every 15-20 minutes. Replenish briquettes after 1 hours cooking time.

*The recipe for Emeril's Rustic Rub

2 Tbs. + 2 tsp. paprika
1 Tbs. cayenne pepper
2 Tbs. garlic powder
1 Tbs. onion powder
2 Tbs. salt
2 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1 Tbs. + 2 tsp. ground black pepper
2 1/2 tsp. dried thyme

Serves: 8

dando
09-03-07, 03:05 PM
stock with a roux to thinken it;

Now I'll buy that okra is optional, but no File in gumbo?!? :saywhat:

Sacrilege!

;)

-Kevin

devilmaster
09-03-07, 05:01 PM

as kev alluded to, Okra and File are basically the same thing... they both thicken the gumbo. So you can use one or the other, or both if you got it.....

I can't get fresh okra, so i go with the File.... and the file does add a flavor that is synonymous with gumbo....

nrc
09-03-07, 08:20 PM
Now whatchu got ta did is you put a little of dat feelay powda on dare. Woooweee! Now let me tell you dat smell goood!

nrc
09-03-07, 09:34 PM
G., here's a sauce that would be better with that brisket. It's Texas Ranch Sauce out of "Smoke & Spice"

Sauce:
1 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 cups chopped onions
2 minced fresh Jalapenos
2 minced Serranos
8 cloves garlic minced
1 cup ketchup
¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
¼ cup strong black coffee
1/3 cup molasses
¼ cup cider vinegar
¼ cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
¼ cup good chili powder
2 tablespoons yellow mustard
1.5 teaspoon cumin
1.5 teaspoon salt

Preparation: In a saucepan warm the oil over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and chiles and sauté at medium low heat until everything has softened. Mix in the remaining ingredients and bring the sauce to a simmer. Cover and cook for 30-40 minutes then allow to cool for a few minutes. Puree in a food processor or with an immersion mixer

Quoted from the meat smoking thread at G's request... since he couldn't figure it out. ;)

G.
09-03-07, 10:05 PM
Quoted from the meat smoking thread at G's request... since he couldn't figure it out. ;)
:laugh: :laugh:

Nah. I'm just a lazy mo fo.

(there's more good quotiness in that thread. Lots more.)

Thanks, R.

Now Sticky that!

Ankf00
09-03-07, 11:29 PM
just like chili, gumbo's po' folks' food, so when okra is in season, okra away,when not, other stuff... the etymology of gumbo supposedly points towards some african word for okra though, but again, like chili, most anything goes, slaves gotta eat!

devilmaster
09-03-07, 11:52 PM
Now whatchu got ta did is you put a little of dat feelay powda on dare. Woooweee! Now let me tell you dat smell goood!

why type it when you can youtube it? :rofl:

eK4umRMJlrs

he cooks gumbo, drives a champcar.... he's good. ;)

Turn7
09-04-07, 04:59 PM
Easy Gumbo recipe

1 jar Ms. Kary's Roux
2 lbs sm/med frozen peeled shrimp
2 t mined garlic
2 cans crab and juice
2 cans whole oysters w/juice
2 cans minced clams w/juice
1 lb white fish cubed ( I use crappie fillets since I always have some in the freezer)
1 gallon water
1 c. red wine
1 bag frozen chopped onion
1 bag frozen chopped bell pepper
1 bag cut okra
2 T chicken bullion powder
Salt/Pepper/Old Bay/Tony Chacherie's to taste

Bring the water to a boil in a large stock pot and then add all ingredients but the fish and shrimp.

Slow boil for 1 hour. (stir constantly until roux is fully diluted into the water)

Add shrimp and fish and simmer for 30 minutes.

Serve over cooked white rice.

dando
09-04-07, 05:07 PM
just like chili, gumbo's po' folks' food, so when okra is in season, okra away,when not, other stuff...

Same with Jambalaya, yo (my preference over the gumbo, but I do like 'em both). I'll get around to posting some recipes as soon as I get me some free cycles. I have that schedule for sometime in 2015. :\

-Kevin

ChampcarShark
09-04-07, 06:50 PM
Easy Salsa

go to store...
go to the Latin foods isle...
Get Pace in any of three flavors....
proceed to check out....
pay jar along with tortilla ships...

done,

Jalapeño peppers, tomatoes, onions, garlic, cumins, salt, cilantro.

Cook jalapeño peppers, onions, garlic, and tomatoes.
when cooked place onions, garlic and tomato in blender. Blend until smooth, add jalapeño peppers and chop to leave a chunky or blend till smooth. Season with a few leaves of cilantro and cumins and salt to taste.

NOTE: If too spicy add a little tomato paste or tomato ketchup to soften.

Warlock!
09-05-07, 08:16 AM
This is the only recipe I have written down that I consistently follow, albeit loosely. It's also the reason this is the only recipe I ever post, when recipes are asked to be posted.

Jambalaya

2 tbsp olive oil
1 lbs sausage (chorizo, smoked... whatever. Just not Italian)

¾ cup chopped onion
½ cup chopped celery
¼ cup chopped green pepper
lotsa garlic, minced

1 can (28 oz) diced tomatoes w/ liquid
18 oz beef broth
1 cup uncooked long grain white rice
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp dried thyme
½ tsp chili powder
¼ tsp pepper

1½ lbs shrimp
1 tbsp fresh parsley

Toss sausage in large heavy pot with olive oil to lubricate. Cook sausage until half the fat has been rendered out of it. Take the sausage out of the pot, leaving the fat. Toss in the onion, celery, green pepper, and garlic and sauté until tender. Add tomatoes and liquid, broth, rice, sugar, thyme, chili powder, and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until rice is tender (about 25 minutes. Add shrimp and parsley right at the end; simmer, uncovered, until shrimp are cooked, 5-7 min.

I usually use a buttload more garlic, as well as a bunch of different peppers/spices, depending on what you like. Chicken, bacon, and ham have also been substituted/added, depending on your level of artery closure. This is just a baseline recipe... **** with it and make it your own.

:juliachild:

SAdair
09-05-07, 08:28 AM
My favorite, make sure you have a designated driver for atleast 12 hours after you drink this :D :

Milk Punch
Combine the following in a bowl, in order:
4 cups milk
3 tsp sugar
1/2 to 1 cup bourbon (depending on desired taste and strength of bourbon)
1/3 cup apricot brandy (any brandy will work
1/4 cup rum
Add 1 pint softened vanilla ice cream and allow to melt.
Serve with optional nutmeg sprinkled on top.

Methanolandbrats
09-05-07, 09:31 AM
My favorite, make sure you have a designated driver for atleast 12 hours after you drink this :D :

Milk Punch
4 cups milk
3 tsp sugar
1/4 cup rum
Serve with optional nutmeg sprinkled on top. That's sounds good, but I don't think there is enough booze in it :saywhat:

devilmaster
09-05-07, 09:55 AM

Milk Punch
4 cups milk
3 tsp sugar
1/4 cup rum
Serve with optional nutmeg sprinkled on top.

multiply the recipe by 10, add more booze, and you have a naval standard called moose milk. http://www.sportsinferno.com/forums/images/smilies/drunksmilie.gif

dando
09-05-07, 12:35 PM
This is the only recipe I have written down that I consistently follow, albeit loosely. It's also the reason this is the only recipe I ever post, when recipes are asked to be posted.

Jambalaya

2 tbsp olive oil
1 lbs sausage (chorizo, smoked... whatever. Just not Italian)

¾ cup chopped onion
½ cup chopped celery
¼ cup chopped green pepper
lotsa garlic, minced

1 can (28 oz) diced tomatoes w/ liquid
18 oz beef broth
1 cup uncooked long grain white rice
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp dried thyme
½ tsp chili powder
¼ tsp pepper

1½ lbs shrimp
1 tbsp fresh parsley

Toss sausage in large heavy pot with olive oil to lubricate. Cook sausage until half the fat has been rendered out of it. Take the sausage out of the pot, leaving the fat. Toss in the onion, celery, green pepper, and garlic and sauté until tender. Add tomatoes and liquid, broth, rice, sugar, thyme, chili powder, and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until rice is tender (about 25 minutes. Add shrimp and parsley right at the end; simmer, uncovered, until shrimp are cooked, 5-7 min.

I usually use a buttload more garlic, as well as a bunch of different peppers/spices, depending on what you like. Chicken, bacon, and ham have also been substituted/added, depending on your level of artery closure. This is just a baseline recipe... **** with it and make it your own.

:juliachild:

'lock!, good recipe. :thumbup: Pretty standard Jambalaya and bloody simple to make. FYI, I also use a recipe from Rachel Raythat keeps the rice and stew separate, which makes for better eats for leftovers. Not that I complain about combining them (the wife does), but the rice does get a bit soft after a few days.

-Kevin

Methanolandbrats
09-05-07, 12:57 PM
'lock!, good recipe. :thumbup: Pretty standard Jambalaya and bloody simple to make. FYI, I also use a recipe from Rachel Raythat keeps the rice and stew separate, which makes for better eats for leftovers. Not that I complain about combining them (the wife does), but the rice does get a bit soft after a few days.

-Kevin
Rachel Ray................ do you have to add a quart of EVOO to the pot? ;)

dando
09-05-07, 01:31 PM
Rachel Ray................ do you have to add a quart of EVOO to the pot? ;)

:D Well, you know that's in the recipe, yo. :)

-Kevin

Ed_Severson
09-05-07, 02:51 PM
Pineapple Upside Down Cake

1 (small) single serving can pineapple juice
1-2 shots vanilla vodka
1 1/2 tsp Grenadine
Ice

Combine pineapple juice and vodka in shaker with ice and shake 15-20 seconds. Pour into tumbler. Juice should be frothy. Drizzle grenadine into center of glass.

Easy, no oven required. :)

Too much work. I like this one instead -- no mixing, no shaking, no waiting 15-20 seconds for gratification:

1 bottle Jack Daniel's Tennessee sour mash whiskey

Drink as needed

I'll throw out a real one here too -- one of my favorites from Emeril, modified by yours truly for a killer one-dish meal. If you don't agree, **** you. :D

1 lb dry risotto or Arborio rice
1/2 onion, diced
Some arbitrary amount of garlic, chopped
1 cup shredded three cheese mixture -- Parmesan, Asiago, and Romano
2 oz heavy whipping cream
6-8 cups chicken stock
Some arbitrary amount of butter/olive oil
1/2 cup pine nuts
1 bunch chives
1.5 lbs freshly encased Italian sausages
1 bunch asparagus, coarsely chopped

Preheat oven to 425 degrees and place the Italian sausages on a cookie sheet, wrapped in parchment paper.

In a 5-quart (or larger) stock pot, sautee the onions and garlic in olive oil until they just begin to become soft. Add the risotto and just enough of the chicken stock to cover the rice. Turn the heat down to a low simmer and stir regularly. At this point, you want the oven ready -- sausages go in for 30-35 minutes and will be done at the same time as the risotto.

When there is very little or no standing liquid left in the risotto, add 1 cup of the chicken stock and allow it to continue to simmer while stirring regularly. In the meantime, prep a sautee pan with butter/olive oil for the asparagus, and another dry sautee pan for the pine nuts. Repeat, 1 cup of stock at a time, until you get to the last cup of stock (4-6 minutes per cup). Add the last cup of stock to the risotto, toss the asparagus into the oiled sautee pan, and the pine nuts into the dry sautee pan.

After 3-4 minutes, add the asparagus and oil to the risotto. Add some butter (be liberal), some of the heavy cream, and some of the cheese. Stir until the cream and cheese blend in, then add some more butter and the remainder of the cream and cheese and stir again. Take the sausages out of the oven and allow them to stand 2-3 minutes. In the meantime, give the pine nuts a good ride around the dry sautee pan and add them to the risotto. When the sausages have had a good rest, slice them and toss the sausage and drippings into the risotto. Top with minced chives and serve ASAP.

Ankf00
09-05-07, 03:51 PM
smoked ham potato salad

2-3 lb Idaho potatoes, peeled, chopped 1.5 cubes.
1 cup jicama, peeled, chopped 1.5 in cubes
.75 lb smoked ham, chopped .5in cube
1 cup red onion, diced
1 serrano, seeded, diced
1 cup mayo
.25 cup dijon
2 tsp cider vinegar
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp kosher or sea salt
1 tsp white pepper
3 tsp chopped chives for garnish

1 large stock pot w/ cold water, add taters, bring to boil. Cook for 10-15 minutes until just cooked. Want them to be a bit firm.
Rinse w/ cold water, set aside in bowl, add diced jicama, red onion, serrano, and ham.
In separate mixing bowl, stir mayo, dijon, vinegar, and spices. Mix well, then add to potato mix in 1st bowl. Stir, adjust salt & pepper to taste, top w/ chives.

chow chow

.5 cup salt
.25 cup black pepper
1 tsp curry powder (or random other chile powders)
.5 tsp cinnamon
.5 tsp nutmeg
.5 tsp cumin
.5 tsp cloves
.5 tsp allspice
2+ cup sugar (to taste)
4 heads cabbage
5 lb green tomato
3 qt chopped onion
1/4+ lb. chile pepper (to taste)
1.5 qt vinegar

Bring to boil and cook 3-5 min (approx 20 min total). While hot, bottle in Ball jars. Makes 20-24 pints.

brisket per Aug 2007 Cooks Illustrated

brine brisket
put coals in one side of kettle grill
warm to 400F
place brisket in grill
cook
preheat oven to 325F
place brisket in oven
cook
remove brisket, immediately slice, slice with grain, serve immediately while wearing Scarlet Turnpikes jersey and BoSox baseball hat

Andrew Longman
09-05-07, 04:11 PM
...serve immediately while wearing Scarlet Turnpikes jersey and Yankees baseball hat

I'll try that next weekend. Gone all summer without Brisket. :D

Ankf00
09-05-07, 04:17 PM
I hope you're being facetious, b/c that recipe is an absolute trainwreck... if it starts w/ a brine and 400F heat, it deserves to be finished w/ a bosox hat ;)

Andrew Longman
09-05-07, 04:42 PM
Actually, I do my brisket in a smoker over about 15 hours using advice collected over the years from Alton Brown and Oddly Calm in another old thread.

The only use for a Bosox hat is as a firestarter, but it might ruin the flavor.

oddlycalm
09-06-07, 05:12 AM
I hope you're being facetious, b/c that recipe is an absolute trainwreck... if it starts w/ a brine and 400F heat, it deserves to be finished w/ a bosox hat ;) Agreed, either they can't buy a decent brisket up there or they are hung up on the corned beef association or sumthin... :confused:

In my weber days I was't above finishing a brisket in the oven during winter weather since it doesn't take on any more smoke flavor after the surface temp gets above 180 degree regardless. Reloading charcoal every hour for a 12hr cook when it's 33 degrees and blowing rain sideways is for someone else. Leave it in the weber for the first 3hrs then pull it and stay inside where it's warm. I just used regular brisket rub and ran the weber @ 275 degree.

Nice recipes on this thread, and great ones for fall :thumbup:

oc

TKGAngel
09-06-07, 09:46 AM
Here is my minestrone soup recipe (adapted from Wegmans)

1 pound ground beef/pork/veal mixture (ground turkey can also be substituted)
1 16 oz. can diced tomatoes
1 16 oz. can kidney beans
2 32 oz boxes chicken stock (BJ's sells Emeril's stock, which is :thumbup:)
2-3 carrots
2-3 stalks celery
1 medium size onion
2-3 medium size potatoes
1 zucchini
1 leek
Emeril's essence to taste
italian seasoning to taste
1 cup noodles (elbows or ditalini pasta work well)

Chop veggies (or, if you're like me, you buy the already cleaned and cut soup veggies from your produce section) and add to soup pot. Add stock, tomatoes and kidney beans (undrained). Season with the italian seasoning and Emeril's essence. Start to simmer over low heat.

Then, brown ground beef mixture in separate pot, again seasoning with the essence and italian seasoning. Drain meat (or not - personal preference) and add to pot.

Bring soup to boil and then simmer for 15 minutes.

Add noodles. Stir, and then simmer for another 15 minutes.

Serve with grated cheese on top and a nice loaf of crusty bread. There will be leftovers for the next day, although you may have to add a little bit of water before re-heating.

Elmo T
09-06-07, 10:52 AM
This is an Alton Brown recipe - but it is the best French Onion Soup I've ever tasted. It is also the only reason I purchased an electric skillet (shhhh - no talk of uni-taskers ;) ) As the recipe says, don't worry about burning the onions - the recipe works. I didn't have soup crocks until recently but it doesn't matter - the soup can stand on its own without the melted cheese.

10 sweet onions (like Vidalias) or a combination of sweet and red onions
3 tablespoons butter
Kosher salt
2 cups white wine
10 ounces canned beef consume
10 ounces chicken broth
10 ounces apple cider (unfiltered is best)
Bouquet garni; thyme sprigs, bay leaf and parsley
1 loaf country style bread
Ground black pepper
Splash Cognac, optional
1 cup grated Fontina or Gruyere cheese

Trim the ends off each onion then slice from end to end. Remove peel and finely slice into half moon shapes. Set electric skillet to 300 degrees and add butter. Once butter has melted add a layer of onions and sprinkle with a little salt. Repeat layering onions and salt until all onions are in the skillet. Do not try stirring until onions have sweated down for 15 to 20 minutes. After that, stir occasionally until onions are dark mahogany and reduced to approximately 2 cups. This should take 45 minutes to 1 hour. Do not worry about burning.
Add enough wine to cover the onions and turn heat to high, reducing the wine to a syrup consistency. Add consume, chicken broth, apple cider and bouquet garni. Reduce heat and simmer 15 to 20 minutes.
Place oven rack in top 1/3 of oven and heat broiler.
Cut country bread in rounds large enough to fit mouth of oven safe soup crocks. Place the slices on a baking sheet and place under broiler for 1 minute.
Season soup mixture with salt, pepper and cognac. Ladle soup into crocks leaving one inch to the lip. Place bread round, toasted side down, on top of soup and top with grated cheese. Broil until cheese is bubbly and golden, 1 to 2 minutes.

Ankf00
11-02-07, 06:02 PM
tex mex piece in the Times: http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9405E6D81F31F937A15753C1A9619C8B 63

and a tip for making queso, adding cream of celery helps the consistency. add roasted, peeled, seeded, and diced poblano for another flavor in addition to the jalapenos

chop456
11-03-07, 08:54 AM
Today is brisket smoking/loafing/drinking day at the 456 house. :tony:

:rubrubrub:

Ankf00
11-26-07, 05:09 PM
Found an old wings thread that deserves to be bumped :)

With race season going strong and football season arriving, here's the best wing recipe I've ever come across. It's from the nice folks over at Dizzy Pig who got the bones of it from one of their customers. I use drumettes instead of whole wings to get more on the grill at one time and the 6lb. pack from Costco works right for 5-6 people. Blue cheese dressing and mango peach salsa are the two favorite dipping sauces with our outfit. These wings are a cross between the best fried chicken you've ever eaten and Buffalo wings. :thumbup:

Here's the recipe on Chris' site. We use their Swamp Venom rub when we make them to achieve the right level of heat and a little apple wood for smoke. Any leftovers nuke up great for Monday lunch.
Dizzy Pig crunchy wings (http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/recipesWings.html)

I've made heaps of these things. Not exactly an exact science, but pretty tough to screw up and dead easy to make. Check the sauce when the first batch of wings are done and adjust from there. If you don't love 'em I'll give you your money back.

1/2 c butter
3/4 c. (or more, preferably more) Franks hot sauce
black pepper, (1/2 tsp or so)
1/2 tsp (or more) garlic powder

~ 1 cup flour
3/4 tsp. paprika (or leave it out, no biggy either way)
1/4 tsp (at the very least) cayenne
1/2 tsp salt
and a dozen wings, at least....

-the flour, paprika, salt and cayenne all get mixed together. You might want to toss in a bit of garlic powder, as well. Sprinkle this over the chicken; more is better. Put the now coated wings in the fridge for a couple hours, until the wings are really sticky.

-the butter, hot sauce, pepper and garlic powder go into a saucepan, heat slowly. (don't boil it).

-heat some cooking oil to about 365 degrees, cook the wings (in batches) until you see dark brown spots on them, probably around 6 or 7 minutes... I've never timed them. Cut one open or check it with a thermometer if you're the worrying type.

-drain them, pour the hot sauce over them, grab a beer, and turn on the tube.

You can vary the level of "heat" by screwing around with the ratio of butter:Franks. This is just a good starting point.

I never thought I'd be exchanging recipes on OC.... :shakehead

Warlock!
11-27-07, 10:58 AM
1/2 c butter
3/4 c. (or more, preferably more) Franks hot sauce
black pepper, (1/2 tsp or so)
1/2 tsp (or more) garlic powder

Mine's very similar to Mr V's above, but I make my sauce by sauteing a butt-load of garlic in the butter, then add the hot sauce and simmer it til it thickens a bit. After the wings come out of the fryer, I let 'em cool a couple minutes and toss 'em in the sauce. Good stoof. :thumbup:

Ankf00
11-28-07, 11:10 PM
Trying the dizzy pig method for the first time, doing the usual method for backup in case I f it all up.

Only for garlic, I take a head, chop off the top, wrap in foil and bake, then squeeze out the goodness when it's done :)

G.
12-23-07, 03:47 AM
what, exactly, does one do with lamb?

I am forced to cook the sheep, not the cow. Cultural differences this year, I guess.

For a nice lamb Christmas dinner, wtf am I s'posed to do? Never done sheep before, regardless of my semi-rural upbringing.:)

Chops, leg, something else? Why mint? Does it taste THAT bad? (I've had it many times, but only in fairly upscale restaurants, where they could make just about anything taste good.)

Prolly not outdoor cooking. Gonna be freaking COLD, I think.

Can you make gravy with the drippings?

I am totally clueless.

I want prime rib.

You guys/gals rock. Thanks!

Andrew Longman
12-23-07, 06:23 AM
Here ya go.

I do these every Christmas Eve... except this one. (Sister in law screwed up plans. :shakehead ) Fantastic.

8 Chops. Cut a pocket in the side. Alternatively, I've done this with a butterflied leg, stuffed it and rolled it up.

Marinade. Juice of one lemon. 3T brownsugar. 2-3 Garlic crushed cloves. 1/3 c soysauce. Marinade up to 6 hours

Stuff with feta cheese (about 1/2 c total) and 1/3 c toasted pine nuts and black pepper.

Grill or broil. About 10 minutes for chops. For leg until temp it 150 degrees

For this or any lamb I also suggest lightly roasting a little fresh rosemary.

Not much for mint jelly thing with lamb. Peach chutney is better. Not with the above though.

stroker
12-23-07, 11:15 AM

I am forced to cook the sheep, not the cow. Cultural differences this year, I guess.

For a nice lamb Christmas dinner, wtf am I s'posed to do? Never done sheep before, regardless of my semi-rural upbringing.:)

Chops, leg, something else? Why mint? Does it taste THAT bad? (I've had it many times, but only in fairly upscale restaurants, where they could make just about anything taste good.)

I am totally clueless.

I want prime rib.

Depends on the type of lamb. If you're doing chops, make sure you have fresh mint as a garnish. It's actually pretty good if you can get past the smell of it cooking. The recipe above with the feta sounds good.

Cam
12-23-07, 05:56 PM

I am totally clueless.

I want prime rib.

Leg o' lamb chops or what? I (up until this year obviously) did a leg for all my orphan mates in HamCo. Most went in never having had it before, and left me with no leftovers... :irked: :)

dando
12-23-07, 06:13 PM

I am totally clueless.

I want prime rib.

What kind of cut do you have? We have lamb chops all the time, and they are quite tasty, IMHO. We us a marinade of garlic, rosemary and EVOO, and they can be grilled or pan seared and roasted in the oven. Yum.

-Kevin

G.
12-23-07, 08:02 PM
I picked up a half a leg tonight. The shank part with the meat. About 6 pounds of wooly.

I'll probably slice it and stuff it per Longman's suggestion. It'll end up being marinated for a pretty long time, since it's gotta go in the oven Christmas AM, and I'll be driving tomorrow.

Cam
12-23-07, 08:20 PM
I picked up a half a leg tonight. The shank part with the meat. About 6 pounds of wooly.

I'll probably slice it and stuff it per Longman's suggestion. It'll end up being marinated for a pretty long time, since it's gotta go in the oven Christmas AM, and I'll be driving tomorrow.

Marinate!?!?!!?!? GOD NO!!!! :flame:

G.
12-23-07, 09:47 PM
so, 'splain yerself. What part of "I am totally clueless." is confusing you?:gomer:

I might have a wool sweater, but that about the extent of it.

Me=clueless.
You=opinionated.

Do share, por favor.

Cam
12-23-07, 10:25 PM
Cut it out of the cryo pac several hours before you intend to do anything with it and let it bloom. Buy a jar of fresh minced garlic and a jar of rosemary seasoning. Drink a beer, wash hands. Open jar of garlic, plunge fingers into garlic , scoop a bunch out and smear on lamb. Repeat until sufficiently covered. Sprinkle rosemary over lamb after washing hands.

Put lamb in a tin deep dish pan. Pre heat oven to 450F. Put lamb in oven when it gets to temp. after 15 minutes turn down to 325 and cover with foil. The short period at 450 snap seals the outside sealing in the goodness. Total cooking time should be about 14 minutes/lb. I usually go by look tho. When it starts to pull back off the shank it's almost there. But at that point you can also stick a knife in it and see what it looks like. You definitely want it pink in the middle but not bloody. Take out carve and serve. I like mine with mint sauce as opposed to jelly. You can get that at good grocery stores like The Fresh Market.

If I remember correctly Lizzerd has been to one of these events. Put we all know how hard he is to poison. :D

cameraman
12-24-07, 12:49 AM
Cut it out of the cryo pac several hours before you intend to do anything with it and let it bloom. Buy a jar of fresh minced garlic and a jar of rosemary seasoning. Drink a beer, wash hands. Open jar of garlic, plunge fingers into garlic , scoop a bunch out and smear on lamb. Repeat until sufficiently covered. Sprinkle rosemary over lamb after washing hands.

Put lamb in a tin deep dish pan. Pre heat oven to 450F. Put lamb in oven when it gets to temp. after 15 minutes turn down to 325 and cover with foil. The short period at 450 snap seals the outside sealing in the goodness. Total cooking time should be about 14 minutes/lb. I usually go by look tho. When it starts to pull back off the shank it's almost there. But at that point you can also stick a knife in it and see what it looks like. You definitely want it pink in the middle but not bloody. Take out carve and serve.

A slightly different take on the same thing:

Wash the leg well and pat dry.
Take a dozen fresh garlic cloves, peel them and slice them lengthwise about 1/16" thick.
Mince up about a tablespoon of fresh rosemary.
Preheat the oven to 475°F
Wipe down the leg with olive oil. Not slimy just coated.
Take a sharp knife and cut slits into the leg sized to hold the garlic slivers. Not more than half an inch deep more like 3/8". Insert garlic bits, do as many as you can stand. This takes a while but works better than the bottled garlic. Certain relatives would use the knife on me if I were to ever use the bottled garlic. ymmv.
Sprinkle the rosemary over the leg, some fresh oregano, some salt and a little fresh ground pepper.
Put a little water in the bottom of the roasting pan.
Toss it it the 475° oven for 15 minutes and then turn down to 350°.
At the same time you turn it down, baste it with 3/4 of a cup of red wine. Not a cab, more along the lines of a pinot noir.
Roast for about an hour until the temp reaches 145°F
Baste a few more times while it is roasting.
Add more water if the pan starts to dry out.
Roast until it reaches 145°F

chop456
12-24-07, 09:00 AM
EVOO,

Man card revoked. I'll consider reinstatement after the new year. :p

Ultra-simple hillbilly horse d'vores recipe (and it's good).

1 lb. lean ground beef
1 lb. roll hot breakfast sausage
1 lb. Velveeta - cut into 1/2" cubes

Brown ground beef and sausage together. Drain well. Add Velveeta to meat mixture and stir until you have a gooey mess. Transfer to Crock Pot on low heat. Spread on cocktail rye to serve.

Andrew Longman
12-24-07, 01:59 PM
G

Whatever you do, good luck.

Since I married a Greek I have learned a lot about cooking lamb from my father in law. Whether he is cooking Gyros, kebobs, or a leg one thing he sees as key is lemons. Lots of lemons. And garlic.

After that whethe you go the rosemary, oregano route or the brown sugar, soy sauce, feta route (my invention, not his) it doesn't really matter.

Cam
12-24-07, 02:55 PM
G

Whatever you do, good luck.

Since I married a Greek I have learned a lot about cooking lamb from my father in law. Whether he is cooking Gyros, kebobs, or a leg one thing he sees as key is lemons. Lots of lemons. And garlic.

After that whethe you go the rosemary, oregano route or the brown sugar, soy sauce, feta route (my invention, not his) it doesn't really matter.

Andrew, the Greek's tent to overcook lamb tho. Doesn't mean its bad but a tad dry on the gyros. When you do a roast it needs to have a variety. :)

Andrew Longman
12-24-07, 03:19 PM
Some Greeks. My father-in-law overcooks pork loin. I'll be eating one of his on Wednesday. :irked: Which is why I'm Cider brining a 6 pound loin for tomorrow as we speak.

Gyros are another story though. They're made by grinding the lamb, often mixed with beef, into a paste (can be done in a food processor) with spices and then forming it into a roll, slow roasted and then shaved.

Done right, it shouldn't be dry. It tends to get that way when sitting around the diner warming too long.

I like to cook it pretty rare then keep it in the fridge and shave it as I want to eat it. I then throw the slices on the grill to warm them up.

Of course you need to top that with Tzetziki. I like to keep a tub of this in the fridge as well Mmmm :D And so good for you.

3 cups Greek Yogurt (or good plain yogurt e.g. Columbo), strained with a cheesecloth for a few hours
juice of one lemon (about 3 T)
1 garlic clove, chopped
2 medium cucumbers, peeled, seeded and grated
cover Cukes about 1 T kosher and let stand for 30 minutes. Drain and pat with paper towel
1 T finely chopped fresh mint (can substitute dill leaves)
Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste

Get some good soft Arab bread or pita. Smother it with meat, tomatoes, onions (I like red) lettuce and Tzetziki to make a real mess. Eat.

Cam
12-24-07, 03:25 PM
WTF is this Tzetziki you speek of?

tllips
12-24-07, 03:59 PM
WTF is this Tzetziki you speek of?

mmmmmm! Tzatziki is the white stuff.

http://order.casablancacuisine.com/images/Gyro.jpg

My mouth is watering... :D

But I would put about three times as much tzatziki on this sammich!

KLang
12-24-07, 05:45 PM
Giada De Laurentiis making Lamb Ragu on FoodTV right now. :eek: :laugh:

dando
12-24-07, 06:01 PM
Man card revoked. I'll consider reinstatement after the new year. :p

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/e/e7/Fhm-rachaelray.jpg

:D

-Kevin

G.
12-25-07, 01:08 AM
Rachel Ray annoys me. Endless Dunkin Donut's commercials running around here.

I mean, you brew some DD coffee and you'll "be their hero"??

(never seen her cooking show. But I have a book, I think.)

Ankf00
12-25-07, 01:49 AM
ray ray makes baby jeebus cry.

Sean Malone
12-25-07, 01:57 AM
ray ray makes baby jeebus cry.

and she's not hot.

dando
12-25-07, 02:43 AM
and she's not hot.

That was tongue in cheek, yo. She's about as hot as the Danicle. :yuck: However, I do appreciate her take on cooking in 30-Minute Meals. :thumbup:

-Kevin

KLang
12-25-07, 09:39 AM
I can only take small quantities of Rachel Ray. Surfed past one of her shows yesterday. They must have used some 'trick photography' for that FHM shoot. ;)

Andrew Longman
12-25-07, 10:14 AM
But I would put about three times as much tzatziki on this sammich!

Yup. Way too little.

The stuff is good just as a dip with pita or crackers. Put out some olives, feta and/or cassetti cheese, some dolmades, fruit and a little wine and its a great way to spend some time on a lazy afternoon.

And Rachael Ray is hot. A little too perky, but she can cook so I can look past that. She is also seemingly everywhere now (and I just learned last night that Emeril lost his show). I never knew she did the 2003 FHM shoot though. Much better and better done than Danica. :)

G.
12-27-07, 02:17 AM
Lamb of Blog:

6 lbs. shank, decided to slice along the bone so that I can stuff spices into it. Slicing went really well, so I decided to remove the bone altogether (some cookbooks recommended this). Pulled almost all of the fat off. Spiced it up, lots of garlic, black pepper, kosher rock salt, crushed rosmary. I put DEEP slices, every inch into it, and shoved the spices in. I cut down to the bone, essentially, but the weren't no bone no more.

Marinade: Lighter red wine, leftover from THXGVing, lemon juice, and a tangerine. Cover, overnight, in fridge.

Bring to room temp next day, baste the marinade over it all AM.

Stuffed the slices with feta, pine nuts, and more rosemary. And garlic. Thanks, Andrew!

Oven at 475 for 20 mins, then down to 350. Internal about 155, let rest.

Really good. Melt in the mouth tender. It was great.

My fear was that it would taste too much like "lamb", or too "peculiar", if you will. We are used to the more bland roast meat taste, spiced up to our liking, I just didn't want to scare anyone away.

I ain't no scared no more. The flavor was sublime and wonderful. (still wanted the damn beef, but I'm just whining.)

THANKS!!!

(I think I pee'd rosemary this AM. :D )

I'll let you know if the leftovers (not a lot) hold up.

Andrew Longman
12-27-07, 12:39 PM
Congrats G. Perhaps you are now honorary Greek ;)

I think the lemon keeps it from tasting lambish and tenderizes. The feta and garlic are, well, just good.

I've now had pork roast three days in a row. I'm done. At least yesterday my father-in-law asked for my help in the kitchen and, with great diplomatic effort, kept him from pertifying a very nice 9# loin. It came out quite good, but I must cook for yet another dinner party tonight and I am thinking Chicken marsala or beef. I got the new Jamie Oliver cookbook for Xmas and there are several things I'd like to try.

Don Quixote
12-27-07, 01:14 PM
Nice recipe G. I think I'll give that one a try. Also, what is this "leftover" wine that you speak of? I have never seen "leftover" wine. Would that be a bottle of wine that survived to live another day? Strange.

dando
12-27-07, 02:23 PM
(and I just learned last night that Emeril lost his show)

Emeril Live went away, but Essence is still on...me thinks repeats of Emeril Live will still be shown. Too bad, as I thought Live was a better show than Essence. :( Food is trying to shift to newer talent (some good, some bad, IMHO). I just can't get into Guy Whatchamacallhim. :\ My other rant on Food is that they've repeated the same damn holiday shows for the past 3-4 years, and they are getting tiring. @ least AB did a cookies show this year with Bad Santa drinking egg nog throughout the show. :D Now if they would just show feasting on asphalt 2 again. I was in India when they broadcast it the first time around. :(

-Kevin

dando
12-27-07, 02:26 PM
Nice recipe G. I think I'll give that one a try. Also, what is this "leftover" wine that you speak of? I have never seen "leftover" wine. Would that be a bottle of wine that survived to live another day? Strange.

That would be the bottle of Chardonnay I open during the holidays from which one glass of wine is drank by the MIL (with ice in it, mind you :saywhat:), and then it sits until it's time to cook. :\ Now red wine seems to perpetually leak from my stash. :irked:

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
12-27-07, 02:34 PM
Emeril Live went away, but Essence is still on...me thinks repeats of Emeril Live will still be shown. Too bad, as I thought Live was a better show than Essence. :( Food is trying to shift to newer talent (some good, some bad, IMHO).

Live was the more entertaining, but not necessarily the more informative show. Fun. I got tickets for it twice and had a blast.

His slot is I think being taken by a new Jamie Oliver show that centers on cooking with stuff he grows in his own garden. Sounds promising.

I understand the need to keep the talent fresh, but I miss the old low budget Door Knock Dinners shows and the like. And Alton Brown always needs a home even if Rachael Ray won't always need yet another show.

dando
12-27-07, 02:47 PM
Live was the more entertaining, but not necessarily the more informative show. Fun. I got tickets for it twice and had a blast.

His slot is I think being taken by a new Jamie Oliver show that centers on cooking with stuff he grows in his own garden. Sounds promising.

I understand the need to keep the talent fresh, but I miss the old low budget Door Knock Dinners shows and the like. And Alton Brown always needs a home even if Rachael Ray won't always need yet another show.

Yeah, I've seen the Jamie promos. Another chef I never quite got when he did the Naked Chef. Mebbe that's because Brits and cuisine just don't mesh in my mind's eye. :gomer: And yes, the cheap shows were great...nuttin' like grillin' and chillin', yo. :) Give me Tyler, Ray, AB, Ina, Paula, Lieberman, and just a touch of Flay every once in a while, and I'll be happy.

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
12-27-07, 03:23 PM
Mebbe that's because Brits and cuisine just don't mesh in my mind's eye. :gomer:

No kidding.

But I very much liked the shows he didn't entertaining for a good friends birthday or the like and getting them all involved. It very much is how I cook and entertain. And he did a good job of infusing all the international cuisine and culture to be found in London. Best place on the planet, for example, to get Indian food.

And yes, the cheap shows were great...nuttin' like grillin' and chillin', yo. :)

Forgot that one. It was great. Launched Flay's career on FTV. What was the name of the gomer chef? He taught me the best way to BBQ chicken; whole, split up the breast, with a couple of hot bricks on top. MMM good.

KLang
12-27-07, 03:36 PM
Comment from Emeril (http://www.emerils.com/newsroom/archives/003082.html)

I wonder if it was his choice? With all the resturants he's got now there can't be much time left for shooting a bunch of TV shows.

dando
12-27-07, 03:55 PM
Comment from Emeril (http://www.emerils.com/newsroom/archives/003082.html)

I wonder if it was his choice? With all the resturants he's got now there can't be much time left for shooting a bunch of TV shows.

I read a piece in the paper in early December that mentioned Food decided not to continue it, but maybe it was a mutual decision. And yes, I imagine he's had his hands full...especially resurrecting the NO stores. :( I've been to NOLA, Emeril's and the Fish House in Vega$...good eats. :thumbup:

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
12-27-07, 03:59 PM
Ten years? Wow, I can't believe its been that long. That's back when I accidentally found FTV as some obsure new listing on my cable network and Emeril came off to me as some Mafia wiseguy chef. Argue with him about pork fat and I thought he'd likely break your kneecap. :D

From the press release it is good to see he is continuing his relationship with FTV. He's a big part of their brand and I wouldn't be surprised if as a charter star for them he doesn't have some equity stake in them.

KLang
12-27-07, 03:59 PM
I read a piece in the paper in early December that mentioned Food decided not to continue it, but maybe it was a mutual decision. And yes, I imagine he's had his hands full...especially resurrecting the NO stores. :( I've been to NOLA, Emeril's and the Fish House in Vega$...good eats. :thumbup:

-Kevin

NOLA and both in Vegas. NOLA is our absolutely favorite resturant. Haven't been back since Katrina though. It always amazes me how much it is possible to spend at the Fish House in Vegas. :eek:

dando
12-27-07, 04:32 PM
NOLA and both in Vegas. NOLA is our absolutely favorite resturant. Haven't been back since Katrina though. It always amazes me how much it is possible to spend at the Fish House in Vegas. :eek:

Sadly, it's the same pretty much the same with all of the 'name' restaurants there. I don't think my wife and I spent < $250/meal @ the fish house, Commander's Palace or Le Cirque...and that was ~5 years ago. :eek: Good thing I don't like to gamble much. :)

-Kevin

KLang
12-27-07, 04:43 PM
Sadly, it's the same pretty much the same with all of the 'name' restaurants there. I don't think my wife and I spent < $250/meal @ the fish house, Commander's Palace or Le Cirque...and that was ~5 years ago. :eek: Good thing I don't like to gamble much. :)

-Kevin

I don't mind much since we seldom dine out when we are home. A whole years worth of resturant spending in a couple nights. At NOLA and the fish house we like doing the chef's selection with the wine pairing. mmmmmm :)

If you haven't, make sure you check out Bobby Flay's Mesa Grill at Caesars. :thumbup:

dando
12-27-07, 05:25 PM
Forgot that one. It was great. Launched Flay's career on FTV. What was the name of the gomer chef? He taught me the best way to BBQ chicken; whole, split up the breast, with a couple of hot bricks on top. MMM good.

Jack McDavid.

http://www.jacksfirehouse.com/JackMcDavid/tabid/260/Default.aspx

And oh, BTW, that dingbat assistant (Jackie Malouf) that was on either that or Flay's other grill show was teh hawt.

-Kevin

TKGAngel
12-27-07, 05:35 PM
From the press release it is good to see he is continuing his relationship with FTV. He's a big part of their brand and I wouldn't be surprised if as a charter star for them he doesn't have some equity stake in them.

From what I've been reading, FTV wants to move to a "mass-market" appeal. They've abandoned cooking shows done by "chefs" and are moving more towards the Sandra Lee's of the world (how to utilize processed ingredients to their fullest). Apparently, people are intimidated by "chefs" and want to watch shows done by hosts who are like them.

Only time will tell if this works.

dando
12-27-07, 05:43 PM
From what I've been reading, FTV wants to move to a "mass-market" appeal. They've abandoned cooking shows done by "chefs" and are moving more towards the Sandra Lee's of the world (how to utilize processed ingredients to their fullest). Apparently, people are intimidated by "chefs" and want to watch shows done by hosts who are like them.

Only time will tell if this works.

They need a mix of both, IMHO. I learn from both types, and there are benefits to seeing both perspectives. Just like cookbooks....I refer to The Joy of Cooking as needed, but I have several casual cookbooks I refer to more frequently.Oh, and if they think I'm like Guy or Sandra Lee, they've gots some research to do. :saywhat:

-Kevin

JoeBob
12-27-07, 10:10 PM
Andrew Zimmern (of Bizzare Foods fame, and a local food writer here in Minneapolis) had an interesting blog post about Emeril:
http://msp.blogs.com/

Emeril is done shooting Emeril Live, and there was a great piece on the Food Network written up in The New York Times (http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/17/business/media/17food.html?_r=1&oref=slogin). Here’s the skinny that you didn’t read: After years and years of making dozens of shows a season, stars, such as Emeril and Mario, get tired of slogging through life carrying five jobs. Networks want to change compensation packages to share in the brands they helped create and deservedly so. Things change, and in Emeril’s case, he did not want to share his outside revenue with FN. He did not need the continuing TV exposure as much as he needed some sleep.

extramundane
12-27-07, 11:13 PM
Oh, and if they think I'm like Guy or Sandra Lee, they've gots some research to do. :saywhat:

:thumbup:

Sandra Lee is pure evil. This frightening Hell Spawn of Kathie Lee and Betty Crocker seems on a mission to kill her fans, one meal at a time. She Must Be Stopped. Her death-dealing can-opening ways will cut a swath of destruction through the world if not contained. I would likely be arrested if I suggested on television that any children watching should promptly go to a wooded area with a gun and harm themselves. What’s the difference between that and Sandra suggesting we fill our mouths with Ritz Crackers, jam a can of Cheez Wiz in after and press hard? None that I can see. This is simply irresponsible programming. Its only possible use might be as a psychological warfare strategy against the resurgent Taliban--or dangerous insurgent groups. A large-racked blonde repeatedly urging Afghans and angry Iraqis to stuff themseles with fatty, processed American foods might be just the weapon we need to win the war on terror.

chop456
12-28-07, 02:30 AM
that dingbat assistant (Jackie Malouf) that was on either that or Flay's other grill show was teh hawt.
You got a thing for rib strippers? :D

Extramundane - if you haven't already, read "The Nasty Bits" by Bourdain. Good stuff.

About the only TV chef that hasn't consistently annoyed the crap out of me is Mario Batali. Simple, approachable good food without the attitude. Mario Eats Italy was a great show, too. Hasn't been on in a couple of years now.

Alton Brown is decent, too.

Sandra Lee seems to like teh booze. I bet she's a bundle o' fun. :D

Ankf00
12-28-07, 02:41 AM
DouchebagTV needs its own thread. :gomer:

Sean Malone
12-28-07, 10:22 AM
You got a thing for rib strippers? :D

Extramundane - if you haven't already, read "The Nasty Bits" by Bourdain. Good stuff.

About the only TV chef that hasn't consistently annoyed the crap out of me is Mario Batali. Simple, approachable good food without the attitude. Mario Eats Italy was a great show, too. Hasn't been on in a couple of years now.

Alton Brown is decent, too.

Sandra Lee seems to like teh booze. I bet she's a bundle o' fun. :D

Mario is a pompous ass. I appreciate that he is an actual trained chef with years of real world experience unlike the Rachal Rays and Sandra Lees of the network.
And even though he humorously dumps on French cuisine, he still gives it a nod of appreciation. 2008 prediction; Mario reaches critical mass and pops.

That English kid's first show was good. He spent years training in France. The shaky cam thing got old though.

You guys may have mentioned this already but I read that some of the chefs are taking their shows off of FTV due to FTV's pandering to middle American house wives who that southern lady who constantly licks her fingers while she cooks. She's another one that came off the street and now hocks hams with her picture on it. :shakehead

Indy
12-28-07, 01:01 PM
Gotta love Bourdain. His Christmas show this year was classic.

Andrew Longman
12-28-07, 01:12 PM
Mario is a pompous ass.

Perhaps... But he's a Rutgers grad. :gomer:

Not Jersey Guy though. I think he's from Seattle, lives in Manhattan and summers in Michigan near Traverse City.

TKGAngel
12-28-07, 02:23 PM
Not Jersey Guy though. I think he's from Seattle, lives in Manhattan and summers in Michigan near Traverse City.

If anyone's looking for a good read, pick up "Heat" by Bill Buford. The man spent a year apprenticing in one of Batali's kitchens. It gives great insight into a restaurant kitchen and how Batali operates.

They need a mix of both, IMHO.

I agree. There are times RayRay's helpful and there are times I want nothing more than to watch the Barefoot Contessa make a faaabulous dinner for her faaabulous friends in the faaabulous Hamptons.

Sean Malone
12-28-07, 02:25 PM
If anyone's looking for a good read, pick up "Heat" by Bill Buford. The man spent a year apprenticing in one of Batali's kitchens. It gives great insight into a restaurant kitchen and how Batali operates.

I agree. There are times RayRay's helpful and there are times I want nothing more than to watch the Barefoot Contessa make a faaabulous dinner for her faaabulous friends in the faaabulous Hamptons.

Ida Garten has some skillz but I'd bet money if you checked her purse there would be a years supply of Valium.

extramundane
12-29-07, 12:51 AM

Nasty Bits is on my list, if I can ever find time to finish the several books on deck. We're big fans of all things Bourdain hereabouts. I actually got yelled at by the librarian at the school were I work for submitting Kitchen Confidential for my "Staff Pick" a couple years ago (and if anyone here hasn't read KC, you SHOULD).

When Rachel Ray talks, I keep expecting the top half of her head to separate and start flopping around on the bottom half like the Canadians from South Park. As for her $40/day show...my cousin lives and occasionally waits tables in Charleston, SC. Mz. Ray made quite the cheapskate name for herself when she filmed there, tipping around 10% (absolute heresy!) everywhere she went.

Opposite Lock
08-31-09, 10:04 PM
Wife and I have been catching about 3 or 4 episodes per week of Bourdain's No Reservations over the last few weeks. Really stellar stuff, and I regret not getting into this show earlier. I've wanted to go to almost every place featured.

Then I saw the 2006 Beirut episode tonight. :eek: Holy ******* ****! Quite a different tone than the rest of the series. And surprisingly well done. :thumbup:

chop456
09-01-09, 01:05 AM
^ Dude - WTF? That's been the best show on TV for like forever. :D

The Calcott(?) Spain episode was on tonight, too. Giant, green onions cooked in a charcoal pit then dipped in Romescu with red wine, chugged right out of the decanter. :drool:

Ankf00
09-01-09, 05:44 AM
Opposite Lock == aggy?

Only explanation...

Opposite Lock
09-01-09, 08:49 AM
Opposite Lock == aggy?

Only explanation...

dayum... In the future I guess I'll have to try and stay a little more current on my television viewing. :o

TKGAngel
09-01-09, 08:53 AM
I admit to not being wild about the idea at first, but "What Would Brian Boitano Make" has now made it onto my DVR list. Sure, he brings the cheesy comedy, but the dude can cook. This past Sunday, he focused entirely on bacon. Everything looked amazing.

Oh, and if you want to read something truly terrifying, visit Anthony Bourdain's blog and read his account of his encounter with Sandra Lee at the Julie & Julia premiere.

dando
09-01-09, 09:52 AM
Oh, and if you want to read something truly terrifying, visit Anthony Bourdain's blog and read his account of his encounter with Sandra Lee at the Julie & Julia premiere.

:eek: :rofl: :gomer:

-Kevin

extramundane
09-01-09, 10:18 AM
Bourdain on Lee (http://www.slashfood.com/2007/02/10/anthony-bourdain-has-some-issues-with-the-food-network/):

Pure evil. This frightening Hell Spawn of Kathie Lee and Betty Crocker seems on a mission to kill her fans, one meal at a time. She Must Be Stopped. Her death-dealing can-opening ways will cut a swath of destruction through the world if not contained. I would likely be arrested if I suggested on television that any children watching should promptly go to a wooded area with a gun and harm themselves. What's the difference between that and Sandra suggesting we fill our mouths with Ritz Crackers, jam a can of Cheez Wiz in after and press hard? None that I can see. This is simply irresponsible programming. Its only possible use might be as a psychological warfare strategy against the resurgent Taliban--or dangerous insurgent groups. A large-racked blonde repeatedly urging Afghans and angry Iraqis to stuff themseles with fatty, processed American foods might be just the weapon we need to win the war on terror.

:rofl:

Don Quixote
09-01-09, 10:26 AM
That's good stuff. :D

Opposite Lock
09-01-09, 12:24 PM
Speaking of Sandra Lee:
http://foodnetworkaddict.blogspot.com/2007/03/sandra-lee-chefography.html

:D

KLang
09-01-09, 01:05 PM
Nothing wrong with a little eye candy. I just turn the sound off. :)

Elmo T
09-01-09, 03:09 PM
Anthony Bourdain's more recent blog on meeting Sandra Lee as noted by Dando :laugh: :

...when I notice someone has their hand on me. An icy, tendril of fear runs down my spine. I turn and find myself looking straight into the deceptively attractive and reasonable looking face of Sandra Lee. (http://anthony-bourdain-blog.travelchannel.com/read/a-drive-by-shooting)

Sandra Lee for the uninitiated -

awCHJSfZWd8