PDA

View Full Version : Racin', rubbin', blockin' and cheatin'...

pchall
08-31-07, 07:14 AM
...with Franchitti nursing his damaged car to the finish line, teammate Tony Kanaan helped protect him from losing third place by keeping his car in front of other drivers.

Most of the former Indianapolis 500 winners contacted this week said the Franchitti-Andretti incident was a case of a team not properly coordinating its drivers.

But they are split on what Kanaan did to help Franchitti.

"It's been done before; it's called teamwork," 1986 winner Bobby Rahal said. "Tony was obviously trying to help the team's cause . . . which is fine as long as you're not running people off the track."

Four-time Indy winner Rick Mears disagreed.
"That's not competing," he said. "Franchitti made a mistake and Tony protected him from (the repercussions). The people behind them didn't get the chance to capitalize on somebody else's mistake. I don't like it for the sport; it's not racing."

Curt Cave-in in the Star

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070830/SPORTS0107/708300526/1052/SPORTS01

jonovision_man
08-31-07, 07:36 AM
Kanaan did exactly the right thing.

He wasn't swerving around like an idiot, I didn't see anything that looked outside the rules. He just made himself very difficult to pass by some creative lifting and lines.

It was thoughtful driving by an old pro, he wasn't "cheatin'", he was trying to bring his team a championship. Selfless.

Contrast that to Marco's selfish and stupid driving that cost Franchitti in the first place... :p

jono

NismoZ
09-01-07, 10:43 PM
So, Marco was in the lead and HE hit Dario? I thought it was the other way around. Marco was supposed to move out of the way, then? Marco is sent into the barrier and HE assumes the blame? Seems to me the guy fighting to retain the championship lead might have exercized better judgement. I can see a situation where AGR haters would have blasted the team tactics that allowed Dario a safe and planned pass while Marco acted as blocker instead of TK. No, Marco's use of the word "impatient" tells me Dario would soon have been leading anyway but instead he may have just blown the title. Funny how some want to now agree with the assessment of announcers who have often been called clueless.

matthole
09-01-07, 11:08 PM
Sheep copulator summarizes thusly:

"I think it was pretty ironic and pretty funny that I won the race, to be honest. I would have never been in that situation if the League (Indy Racing League, the sanctioning body of the IndyCar Series) had done their job properly. They do nothing. It's typical every weekend."

http://sports.yahoo.com/irl/news;_ylt=Am5wAAp0YwJgPlD908F.0FPRv7YF?slug=txdetr oitsoapopera&prov=st&type=lgns

Earl ain't racing. Not even close.

http://www.whofailedtoday.com/newbbs/img/smilies/sheeeep.gif

:tony:

DagoFast
09-01-07, 11:16 PM
You know we're living in the end of times (for CCWS) when pchall and nismoZ are engaged in a lively discussion about the irl. :(

Leave it to matthole to keep the hate alive. ;)

Sean Malone
09-01-07, 11:22 PM
Sheep copulator summarizes thusly:

http://sports.yahoo.com/irl/news;_ylt=Am5wAAp0YwJgPlD908F.0FPRv7YF?slug=txdetr oitsoapopera&prov=st&type=lgns

Earl ain't racing. Not even close.

http://www.whofailedtoday.com/newbbs/img/smilies/sheeeep.gif

:tony:

So Robin wasn't lying about 25 IRL crew members asking if Cotman would take over from Brainfart. Evidently its a common theme.

matthole
09-01-07, 11:31 PM
So Robin wasn't lying about 25 IRL crew members asking if Cotman would take over from Brainfart. Evidently its a common theme.

Everyone hates :tony:

EVERYONE. (Even Jan! How's your respirator voltage buddy!?! Scotchygen!)

I suspect Mr. Miller was being understated and professional by saying the number was 25. He could have just said 'all' and it would have been the same.

:rofl: :gomer:

jonovision_man
09-02-07, 06:55 AM
So, Marco was in the lead and HE hit Dario? I thought it was the other way around. Marco was supposed to move out of the way, then? Marco is sent into the barrier and HE assumes the blame? Seems to me the guy fighting to retain the championship lead might have exercized better judgement.

Marco had nothing to fight for, he was on cold tires, and he decides to squeeze Dario rather than let him through... stupid and selfish move.

I can see a situation where AGR haters would have blasted the team tactics that allowed Dario a safe and planned pass while Marco acted as blocker instead of TK. No, Marco's use of the word "impatient" tells me Dario would soon have been leading anyway but instead he may have just blown the title. Funny how some want to now agree with the assessment of announcers who have often been called clueless.

I think the only person who didn't agree was Michael. :p

I'm no AGR hater either. I like Dario and TK a lot, and I still have hope for Marco. And Danica... well, she's hot. ;) Michael I could do without.

jono

NismoZ
09-02-07, 11:57 AM
Squeeze or push, take your pick I guess. Dive in meets turn in...inevitable result. Should have waited. He knows about cold tires too.

mueber
09-05-07, 07:45 AM
You guys watch these "races?"

Methanolandbrats
09-05-07, 07:55 AM
You guys watch these "races?" Ya, they abolished the freak show at the circus, so I watch this. Mikey melts down every week :thumbup: I'm actually kinda excited about the Shrapnel 300 at Chicago. Three wide, three wide..........oh #### :D

jonovision_man
09-05-07, 09:59 AM
You guys watch these "races?"

"Usually". Missed Detroit.

The cars aren't suited to road courses, don't look as good as ChampCar obviously, but it's still good.

jono