PDA

View Full Version : So lets review

Racing Truth
08-29-07, 03:38 PM
THE 2007 CHAMP CAR YEAR-TO-DATE REVIEW:

1. New car: Held up pretty well (well, minus mechanical issues and 35mph crashes) and been fairly compettitive. Has it been that much better than the Lola? I don't think it has.

2. Power, Doornbos and Bourdais doing their thing. Bruno impressing. No one else matters.

3. TV ratings=:rofl: :rofl:

4. Attendance: Good, not great.

5. Car counts: Well, unless 24=17, :shakehead

6. Races cancelled= 3 (as of now)

7. Hardcards pulled= 1 (RM)

8. Journalists who are PO'd at CC: Too numerous to count.

9. Journalists who laugh at CC: See #8.

10. # of ,,,,'s employed to to make **** up: I can't count that high.

11. Promises made and broken: Ansan (technically), China, Phoenix, car counts, "Media Day," etc.

12 # of ,,,sycophants, errr fans, left: Estimated at 11.

Good year, huh?

Too bad, b/c the racing has not been bad.

devilmaster
08-29-07, 03:46 PM
Too bad, b/c the racing has not been bad.

Ya know, that's probably the most disappointing thing in all of this.

The new car and the new rules has produced some decent racing while the managers have screwed up.

3 years ago, it was more or less the complete opposite.

what a way to run a railroad. :irked:

Insomniac
08-29-07, 03:55 PM

The new car and the new rules has produced some decent racing while the managers have screwed up.

3 years ago, it was more or less the complete opposite.

what a way to run a railroad. :irked:

Add some rain at a couple races to make them better as well.

Chief
08-29-07, 04:05 PM
And, as we've seen, the most overlooked point. Too bad the negative overrides the positive. It is what it is....

Spicoli
08-29-07, 04:08 PM
a certain poster has said to wait until he gets off work tonite to make any judgements on the series. So just hold on to your pants there big boy. :flame:

:gomer:

Elmo T
08-29-07, 04:40 PM
a certain poster has said to wait until he gets off work tonite

It is all fun and games, until Dad comes home... "Just wait until your father gets home"

pferrf1
08-29-07, 04:55 PM
The owners need to decide to really put an effort into this thing for 2008 or close up shop. If anyone takes the next off-season off (like to go to Antarctica) they're pooched.

They're way beyond growing in baby steps here and there.

Boatdesigner
08-29-07, 05:39 PM
Did you count me as one of the 11? If not, it's an even dozen!:shakehead

spinner26
08-29-07, 05:45 PM
Did you count me as one of the 11? If not, it's an even dozen!:shakehead

Count me as the bakers dozen, not really, just thought it fit here.:D

Audi_A4
08-29-07, 05:51 PM
The season has sucked, the television coverage is awful Champcar has hit rock bottom, it can only get better from here. :shakehead

WickerBill
08-29-07, 06:10 PM
it can only get better from here. :shakehead

That statement is never, ever true.

It can always get worse.

(first post in CC forum in years, sorry it's so negative)

Wabbit
08-29-07, 06:10 PM
The season has sucked, the television coverage is awful Champcar has hit rock bottom, it can only get better from here. :shakehead

Agree on the first two, not sure on the third.

Several years ago, I would never miss a race (OK, maybe one). I think I've only watched two this year. Right now, that may turn to zero for next year. What little interest I had is quickly fading.

gjc2
08-29-07, 06:16 PM
it can only get better from here. :shakehead

I wish getting better was the only option. We all knew this would be a sink or swim season. I really thought with the advent of the DP01 the car counts would be at least twenty and this could be a break out season. Whatever happens I'm still not going to watch, follow or in any way support the IRL. TG can rot in...............

George

DagoFast
08-29-07, 06:45 PM
I know there is this list about stages people go through, shock, anger, denial..ect.

But the sad truth is, CCWS bought the farm yesterday. It doesn't matter if they put it on life support and give it the old college try in '08.

It's dead. :(

cameraman
08-29-07, 07:03 PM
You folks are getting a bit dramatic. An abortive race was finally fully aborted, that's all. And about damned time too. Other than that there is no difference between today and two days ago. They will still run this weekend in Assen and they are still going to Surfers. Both have a decent chance of being good races. Cars on a track, it is still worth watching. Who knows about Mexico, they didn't have a web site last year until a month before the start and if it happens, well great, I'll watch that too.

As for next year, I don't know and quite frankly I'm not going to lose any sleep worrying about it. If they run next year I'll watch. They are cars on a track. If they don't, well that is sad but I'm not going to jump off any bridges because of it. If that were the case I wouldn't have survived Can Am.

Gnam
08-29-07, 07:54 PM
Up next:
1) Assen :thumbup:
2) 6 week break :weak:
3) Admit China race canceled :thumdown:
4) 3 week break :weak:
5) Surfers :thumbup:
6) An offseason with much to discuss. :super: :rolleyes:

RusH
08-29-07, 08:06 PM
Up next:
1) Assen :thumbup:
2) 6 week break :weak:
3) Admit China race canceled :thumdown:
4) 3 week break :weak:
5) Surfers :thumbup:
6) An offseason with much to discuss. :super: :rolleyes:

,,,,it`s not just about the racing.

Besides the race chat last weekend here, it`s been few and far between that racing has anything to do with being a fan in this sport. If I could turn off my computer for a few weeks, I would.

Racing Truth
08-29-07, 08:07 PM
a certain poster has said to wait until he gets off work tonite to make any judgements on the series. So just hold on to your pants there big boy. :flame:

:gomer:

Heh. Speaking of, Read this ,,,-induced blather, (http://www.champcarfanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47177):tony:

Insomniac
08-29-07, 08:57 PM

You think that, but they find a way to dig deeper. I thought the bankruptcy was the bottom, but they've managed to sink lower.

Ankf00
08-29-07, 09:06 PM
It is in NO way a mess or foulup on series management. IT became out of all hands, JUST LIKE china.

there's the wisdom of a Kellogg SOM grad right there. always pass the buck.

jonovision_man
08-29-07, 09:07 PM
Heh. Speaking of, Read this ,,,-induced blather, (http://www.champcarfanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47177):tony:

Love it... it's like reading the Onion. :D

It is in NO way a mess or foulup on series management. IT became out of all hands, JUST LIKE china.

LOL! You can't make this stuff up. :rofl:

jono

Methanolandbrats
08-29-07, 09:18 PM

Uh, ya.............that retarded, delusion crap would earn ya about a D- in an essay class. Here's the real deal.

#1 thing big business/Wall Street/Advertisers like----------- >GROWTH.
#1 thing big business/Wall Street/Advertisers don't like------>UNCERTAINTY

Do the math.

CC has a lot of stuff to fix this winter and they better not f**k any of it up this time.

miatanut
08-29-07, 09:36 PM
THE 2007 CHAMP CAR YEAR-TO-DATE REVIEW:

1. New car: Held up pretty well (well, minus mechanical issues and 35mph crashes) and been fairly compettitive. Has it been that much better than the Lola? I don't think it has.

I agree with everything but this. I was a bit of a skeptic when I learned the downforce of the new car was about 50/50 top/bottom when the new car was supposed to be heavily biased to ground effect downforce, but the ability of two cars to run close together has been signficantly improved, with better racing as a result.

nrc
08-29-07, 09:51 PM
The racing this season has been some of the best in years.

We're not here to talk about people on other forums so this thread will be closed if it turns into that.

jonovision_man
08-29-07, 10:35 PM

That's true... but there's just not enough people watching it, and that isn't the story that is getting out to the public.

Instead it's "ChampCar cancels another race".

They can't afford to lose another team or track at this point, very vulnerable position to be in. I don't like the odds.

jono

Sean Malone
08-29-07, 10:47 PM

We're not here to talk about people on other forums so this thread will be closed if it turns into that.

But still pales in comparison to what it once was IMO. neither CC or the IRL will grow with a static spec formula.

Insomniac
08-30-07, 08:01 AM
But still pales in comparison to what it once was IMO. neither CC or the IRL will grow with a static spec formula.

I thing there are two things at play here. First, technology has killed the racing we all loved. Second, 17 cars just isn't enough, but with more, you still have the technology issue. CC took the DP01 in the right direction with the DP01, but they're going to have to do more. They need to be harder to get perfect on the entire course.

Sean Malone
08-30-07, 09:06 AM
I thing there are two things at play here. First, technology has killed the racing we all loved. Second, 17 cars just isn't enough, but with more, you still have the technology issue. CC took the DP01 in the right direction with the DP01, but they're going to have to do more. They need to be harder to get perfect on the entire course.

22+ cars with different chassis and different engines. Sounds good!

Insomniac
08-30-07, 12:42 PM

Sure does, but the only way that could happen in the current CC climate is to throw the rule book out the window and drop the Panoz and Cosworth exclusive agreements and let anyone who wants to build an engine or chassis build one.

Would hobbyists even want to do that? I don't think any of the traditional manufacturers (car companies, big chassis companies) would get involved right now.

Have to go back to their roots and really cut costs and rebuild. Even the cheaper DP01 is too much money. Not many people can get sponsorship.

jonovision_man
08-30-07, 03:25 PM

Sounds like F1. :p

And it is good. :)

jono

oddlycalm
08-30-07, 05:17 PM
Too bad, b/c the racing has not been bad. This is like telling us that your girlfriend is a looker and the sex is great but she's broken a couple dates, lives a too far away and you don't agree with her politics. :D

oc