PDA

View Full Version : Indy, 40 years ago this week

TippyGomez
05-07-03, 09:33 PM
40 years ago this week, tire size was the buzz word along pit road at Indianapolis. On May 7th, the first 150mph lap was cut by the 1962 Indianapolis "Rookie of the Year" Jim McElreath, from Arlington Texas. The tire size controversy centered on the Lotus Fords, with ten other cars, including 3 conventional roadsters were using the smaller wheels. It is interesting that the request for the 15" rubber was not originally a Team request, rather one Smoky Yunick had put in a request with Firestone 3 full years prior. The protest stems from the fact that did not acknowledge the production of these smaller tires with the USAC technical people. Firestone, on the other hand, says USAC tech was made aware of the development and issued a statement "We are obligated to meet the requirements of the smaller, lighter machines. We feel certain that all the tires, in all sizes, will perform the best ever."

On May 8th, Goodyear entered the scene with a set of tires mounted on AJ Foyt's Sheraton Thompson Special. These 15 inch tires (x8.00 front, 8.25 rear) were developed for stock cars. This was Goodyear's first foray into Indy since 1922.... Foyt,s test runs were made in high winds the results were inconclusive....

On May 9th, Foyt did 25 laps with a top speed of 146 mph. While not impressed, AJ states that before they pass judgment they will wait for some special wider rear rims in anticipation of some performance gain. 15 inch Firestone rubber was mounted to teammates Roger Ward and Don Branson, in the Leader Card entries. They ran several laps nose to tail. Upon entering the pits, Ward gave the new tires a ringing endorsement. Several teams scrambled for the phone in order to place orders with Californian Ted Halibrand.......

On May 10, Word was received in Gasoline Alley that Ted Halibrand was halting production on all products except the new 15 inch wheels. This in spite of the fact that no one has really cut an outstanding lap with the new size. Ted says it will be near impossible to crank out 300 wheels necessary by qualifying time but will manufacture as many as possible.....

May 11, The 15 versus 18 inch tire controversy was settled once and for all in favor of the smaller rubber today by Parnelli Jones. Jones whipped the Agajanian Special around the bricks at an unofficial 152.027 mph. Jones attributed the run to the 15 inch tires, and plenty of nitro!

TG

pchall
05-07-03, 09:37 PM
Thanks for the great bit of history from the once great race.

cart7
05-07-03, 10:37 PM
That's what made the race great. Development and the buzz around surrounding it made the race even bigger than real life. It's what got me interested.

It's all gone now. Crapwagons and rev-limiters replace the once great quest for speed at IMS.

Railbird
05-07-03, 10:51 PM
I talked to Rufus that morning. A buddy of mine and myself were walking into the track when one of Aggie's pearl white Mercury wagons rolled up, "you boys want a ride?" asked Parnelli.

He picked us up and blew through the gate as he drove down to the Gasoline Alley parking lot. It was windy that day so I asked him if he was gonna be able to turn a fast lap, he just pointed at my stop watch and told me to keep it on him.

That was a neat deal for a kid.

I well remember the "great wheel shortage" and the debate between all the old "railbirds" about the new tire profiles.

I think half the reason I thought the new tire were cool was because all the old heads thought they were a waste of time.

Thanks for the memory jog Tippy.

nitro...too cool

Railbird
05-08-03, 06:57 AM
Damnit Tippy

Now I've dug out my Clymer yearbook from '63.

Not gonna get much work done today.