PDA

View Full Version : ALMS LMP1/LMP2 ROI

NismoZ
08-28-07, 09:27 AM
I recall posting on the day Porsche announced Team Penske would enter P2 in the ALMS Series that Roger would not be satisfied going for class victories but would be stalking overall wins as well. A few agreed and now we see the results. Along the way the Penske haters have called him chicken for not running LeMans while Audi cleans up in the race their car was designed for. Question: Is the ALMS P2/Overall title as valuable as a LeMans victory? The next question is one that was also asked on that day long ago: Will Porsche steamroll the competition and sound the death knell of the series as happened in Can Am long ago? Also, what does Audi stand to gain getting embarrassed on tight tracks (and even RA!) and will they retreat to Europe?

pchall
08-28-07, 10:34 AM
I recall posting on the day Porsche announced Team Penske would enter P2 in the ALMS Series that Roger would not be satisfied going for class victories but would be stalking overall wins as well. A few agreed and now we see the results. Along the way the Penske haters have called him chicken for not running LeMans while Audi cleans up in the race their car was designed for. Question: Is the ALMS P2/Overall title as valuable as a LeMans victory? The next question is one that was also asked on that day long ago: Will Porsche steamroll the competition and sound the death knell of the series as happened in Can Am long ago? Also, what does Audi stand to gain getting embarrassed on tight tracks (and even RA!) and will they retreat to Europe?

I think Audi will wrap up its LeMans program soon rather than be victimized by the FIA and ACO when the Peugeot is ready to truly compete.

As for the Porsche P2, it's probably a lot more important to PCNA to win in North America than take a class victory at Le Mans. What ALMS needs is a couple of more manufacturers doing P2 programs exclusively in their series. Get Ferrari and BMW involved and it would be a great spectacle.

ps: P1 should just wither and die in ALMS for the good of the series.

miatanut
08-28-07, 12:18 PM
ACO is converting P1 into a manufacturer's playground, right?

The Porsche P2 was designed to be a customer car, right?

Over the long run, there won't be anything for Porsche to do in P2, but there will be a very competitive car for independents to buy. I don't see a repeat of CanAm.

I'm a Pimpski hater, but I also hate the Audis, so when I see the P2 Porsches beat the Audi's, I consider that a good thing.

Easy
08-28-07, 12:40 PM
No, not even close.

No, IMSA will manage to do that themselves. Again.

Audi will "gas" the program sooner than later anyway.

rosawendel
08-28-07, 12:53 PM
I think that Audi believes they are victims of ACO's rules modifications (fuel nozzle sizes, ballast, etc).
I think in the coming years, new rules requiring closed cockpit cars that look like production vehicles will spell the end of the audi prototype program.
I think they came with the diesel concept at the request of the ACO and they think ACO is now screwing them for it.
I do think that they like the challange of the porsches... gives them something to shoot for. hopefully, the competition available will keep them in the alms for a while.

jonovision_man
08-28-07, 06:42 PM
Question: Is the ALMS P2/Overall title as valuable as a LeMans victory?

Obviously not.

The next question is one that was also asked on that day long ago: Will Porsche steamroll the competition and sound the death knell of the series as happened in Can Am long ago?

Did Audi steamrolling the competition sound the death knell? No, if anything the fact that they were willing to commit so much to it renewed interest.

Also, what does Audi stand to gain getting embarrassed on tight tracks (and even RA!) and will they retreat to Europe?

No, they need the experience with the cars if they want to stay competitive.

jono

Elmo T
08-28-07, 07:26 PM
I think that Audi believes they are victims of ACO's rules modifications (fuel nozzle sizes, ballast, etc).

I think they are victims. Audi trounced everyone, then the rules change. Porsche has a competitive car, even moreso now. If they want a spec series, then so be it. (Not that there is anything wrong with that. ;) ) I thought the point was technology, blah, blah, blah.

extramundane
08-28-07, 07:40 PM
I think they are victims. Audi trounced everyone, then the rules change.

I'm curious what rule changes you think 'victimized' Audi.

Elmo T
08-28-07, 09:08 PM
I'm curious what rule changes you think 'victimized' Audi.

I suppose victim is a strong term. ;) You build a better mousetrap, but then they change things.

I think the "Fuel Energy Balance" fuel tank stuff limited the Audi advantage they earned through their development program.

extramundane
08-28-07, 09:38 PM
I suppose victim is a strong term. ;) You build a better mousetrap, but then they change things.

I think the "Fuel Energy Balance" fuel tank stuff limited the Audi advantage they earned through their development program.

I suspect Audi knew some adjustments would come once the true performance of the diesel was shown. Still, the smaller fuel tank hasn't really hindered their performance very much. Notice that, once they brought their 2007 cars over for Mosport, they had very little trouble outrunning the Porsches before the mechanical gremlins kicked in.

As for P1 vs. P2...throw the wider P1 rubber on the P2s, take the '07 restrictors off and combine 'em into 1 class. They can still salvage things, but they seem to be taking series-running lessons from CCWS.

nissan gtp
08-28-07, 10:16 PM

As for P1 vs. P2...throw the wider P1 rubber on the P2s, take the '07 restrictors off and combine 'em into 1 class. They can still salvage things, but they seem to be taking series-running lessons from CCWS.

or, combine ALMS-spec P1 and P2 as-is. seems pretty competitive to me

Methanolandbrats
08-28-07, 10:24 PM
Screw P1, P2............yadda, yadda, .................**** it, maybe a return to CanAm where you could build whatever the hell you wanted as long as it had four wheels would be a good formula.:thumbup: