PDA

View Full Version : I sure hope not...

Spicoli
08-27-07, 10:29 PM
One of the uber-gomers is reporting that PHX race is off. :irked:

TV station in Phoenix, citing a report out of the Jensen group from an affiliated station in Vegas, had on its newscast tonight that the CC Phoenix race would be cancelled this week.

I'd give you a linky, but, ummmm, i think ya'll know where to look.

Insomniac
08-27-07, 10:38 PM
Fitting end to this disaster of a season (image wise).

pchall
08-27-07, 10:41 PM
I don't suppose they gave the call letters of either station so we could check their sites, right?

Spicoli
08-27-07, 10:44 PM
I don't suppose they gave the call letters of either station so we could check their sites, right?

nope, but would this really really surprise anyone? Gomers (and some non-gomers) have been pontificating like it would not happen all along.... :shakehead

DagoFast
08-27-07, 10:46 PM
If true, I'd consider it a mercy killing.

jonovision_man
08-27-07, 11:27 PM
Fitting end to this disaster of a season (image wise).

It's been absolutely horrific. A year ago we had GF and KK musing about 24 car fields that would need to be capped due to all the interest... instead we barely get 17 cars, and a moving target for a calendar. Scrubbing two races in one season would just be an all new low, it's like they've learned nothing with the Ansan debacle.

Sigh. Despite all that crap I'll still be watching. I'm feeling like a battered wife.

jono

nrc
08-27-07, 11:47 PM
Didn't the same folks predict cancellations for Las Vegas, Houston, Portland, Belgium, and Holland? Definitely working on the blind squirrel strategy there.

Indy
08-28-07, 12:41 AM
The predictor is indycool, the paid propagandist.

ferrarigod
08-28-07, 02:08 AM
to be honest, we don't need another 6 week break and then a race on christmas day. was a horrible schedule and time to begin with.

add it to the ansan list. :thumdown:

Gnam
08-28-07, 02:21 AM
Scrubbing two races in one season would just be an all new low...
three

If it's true, will ChampCar admit it before Mexico City?
If it's not true, will ChampCar knock down the story?
If Christ Returns Now does the race happen?

FCYTravis
08-28-07, 02:50 AM
There aren't that many news TV stations in Phoenix.

Nothing on the NBC affiliate site, KPNX.

Nothing on the ABC affiliate site, KNXV.

Nothing on the CBS affiliate site, KPHO.

Nothing on the FOX affiliate site, KSAZ.

Doesn't mean for sure that it wasn't reported on air, but if it was, nobody's published anything on the Web yet.

KLang
08-28-07, 06:37 AM
There were ads for the Phoenix race during the race Sunday morning. This seems doubtfull, especially considering the source.

Insomniac
08-28-07, 07:50 AM
It's been absolutely horrific. A year ago we had GF and KK musing about 24 car fields that would need to be capped due to all the interest... instead we barely get 17 cars, and a moving target for a calendar. Scrubbing two races in one season would just be an all new low, it's like they've learned nothing with the Ansan debacle.

Sigh. Despite all that crap I'll still be watching. I'm feeling like a battered wife.

jono

Not that this makes CC look any better, but the capped at 24 was for 2008. They expected 20-22 this season.

I'm still watching too. The racing has been pretty good this season.

Chief
08-28-07, 08:18 AM
Haven't any of you learned anything yet? A unconfirmed rumor sets everyone scurrying in a hysterical panic?

For those not paying attention these waves of negativity have been occuring with astounding regularity all season.

Question: Are We Not Men? Answer: We Are Devo! Get used to it....

DagoFast
08-28-07, 09:39 AM
Haven't any of you learned anything yet? A unconfirmed rumor sets everyone scurrying in a hysterical panic?

For those not paying attention these waves of negativity have been occuring with astounding regularity all season.

I don't think anyone here is in a panic. There was a time when anything that came out of the mouths of toeknees paid shills was cause for a chuckle. Sadly, we now have to treat most things as if there is a grain of truth to it.

NismoZ
08-28-07, 09:45 AM
Have you seen the layout? The race date? I agree with the mercy killing quote. Now if they want to take time and OPEN the season there in the Spring and be better prepared?...a 2-3 mo. delay, so what?

Chief
08-28-07, 09:56 AM
I don't think anyone here is in a panic. There was a time when anything that came out of the mouths of toeknees paid shills was cause for a chuckle. Sadly, we now have to treat most things as if there is a grain of truth to it.
Why? Ok, China was a cluster f**** but what else? You see, THEY are feeding off of paranoia....rumors are around that 2008 won't surface, Phoenix will be cancelled, after 3 race CCWS was done......ANYTHING to shake what ever is left of a foundation in an attempt to undermine the series. Pretty easy to do with all the hysterics running around.

(Granted I'm skeptical of the leadership, but not to the point of lobotomy)

pchall
08-28-07, 10:22 AM

Hihowareyou! Well said, fellow Whovian and Devo fan!

Ziggy
08-28-07, 12:34 PM
Newman/Haas has ordered 28 Dallarahs as well

were doomed :tony: :gomer: :yuck:

Methanolandbrats
08-28-07, 01:03 PM
http://www.champcarworldseries.com/images/tracks/t_Phoenix2_240.gif 14 right angle turns. :yuck: This thing will make San Jose look like Spa. Never should have seen the light of day to begin with.

Boatdesigner
08-28-07, 02:43 PM
After seeing that track map, I think I'd rather see them on the oval. Yuck!:shakehead

Spicoli
08-28-07, 03:43 PM
it's like they said: "here, you can have these streets." Purty sad.

Sean Malone
08-28-07, 04:00 PM
http://www.champcarworldseries.com/images/tracks/t_Phoenix2_240.gif 14 right angle turns. :yuck: This thing will make San Jose look like Spa. Never should have seen the light of day to begin with.

That's not a race track, it's a drawing of a truck by a 3 year old.:thumdown:

Gnam
08-28-07, 04:21 PM
That's not a race track, it's a drawing of a truck by a 3 year old.:thumdown:
No, it's a kitty. :)

Racing Truth
08-28-07, 04:31 PM

Is this serious? Wow, what an abomination!:yuck:

H=ll, I hope Janfool is right on this.

Gangrel
08-28-07, 04:40 PM

You're right....right angles suck....

http://www.champcarworldseries.com/Event/Tracks.asp?GoSeason=2007&ID=9

:rolleyes:

Methanolandbrats
08-28-07, 05:13 PM

:rolleyes: Some right angles don't suck.................has something to do with the width of the track and runoff. :shakehead

jonovision_man
08-28-07, 06:38 PM

Yes it's EXACTLY the same. :rolleyes:

City streets, wide open airport circuit, what's the diff?

jono

ferrarigod
08-28-07, 06:42 PM

lame way to excuse it. Big difference between 75 foot wide right angle and a 30 foot one. You don't treat the 75 footer as a 90 degree turn, but a sweeper.

all those right turns look like Houston v1.0 and I'm sure we all remember the greatness of that 'circuit.'

i hope they hold the race for the fact that it hates on nascar. but the track looks totally wank on paper,,,,,

i'm torn up about this, one thing for sure, the date is idiotic.

DagoFast
08-28-07, 07:19 PM
Why? Ok, China was a cluster f**** but what else? You see, THEY are feeding off of paranoia....rumors are around that 2008 won't surface, Phoenix will be cancelled, after 3 race CCWS was done......ANYTHING to shake what ever is left of a foundation in an attempt to undermine the series. Pretty easy to do with all the hysterics running around.

(Granted I'm skeptical of the leadership, but not to the point of lobotomy)

Oh gee, just China? Gosh Wally, I must have dreamed Ansan and Denver were cancelled. My poor old Alzheimers ridden brain must have caused me to just miss the Milwaukee race...and all the rest of the ovals. Yep, things is just peachy. :shakehead

DagoFast
08-28-07, 07:24 PM
Oh, and the Phoenix race...I was downtown last week & drove around the proposed "track".

You wanna know what the status is on the construction and improvements?
Zip. Bupkus. Zero. Nada. Zilch.

But let's all give 'em the benefit of the doubt. It's still 110 degrees, they're probably just waiting for it to cool off a bit. Right?

Spicoli
08-28-07, 07:33 PM
lame way to excuse it. Big difference between 75 foot wide right angle and a 30 foot one. You don't treat the 75 footer as a 90 degree turn, but a sweeper.

all those right turns look like Houston v1.0 and I'm sure we all remember the greatness of that 'circuit.'

i hope they hold the race for the fact that it hates on nascar. but the track looks totally wank on paper,,,,,

i'm torn up about this, one thing for sure, the date is idiotic.

houston was cool, when the only track like it was houston.

now, 1/2 the series looks like it. :gomer: :thumdown:

cameraman
08-28-07, 07:38 PM
It's still 110 degrees, they're probably just waiting for it to cool off a bit. Right?

Cool off? When's that, January?

nissan gtp
08-28-07, 08:05 PM
it's gone

Wally
08-28-07, 08:15 PM
I believe so.....:shakehead

FCYTravis
08-28-07, 08:24 PM
This rumor was actually reported on TV, per Michael Knight's motorsports PR blog: http://spindoctor500blog.blogspot.com/

Edit: And now it's confirmed, per nissan gtp.

:sigh:

Insomniac
08-28-07, 08:37 PM
Also of note is that this also cancels the "Dash for Cash (http://www.offcamber.net/forums/showthread.php?t=13154)".

DagoFast
08-28-07, 08:40 PM
Cool off? When's that, January?

Usually October! :cool:

PS, thank god for abortions. This track had no right to live.

extramundane
08-28-07, 08:47 PM
Every time Cam & Spic fight, God kills a ChampCar race.

:hawaiisuperprix:

RHR_Fan
08-28-07, 08:54 PM
Every time Cam & Spic fight, God kills a ChampCar race.

:hawaiisuperprix:

:gomer:

Is it time for an OC meltdown? :cry: :eek: ;)

nissan gtp
08-28-07, 08:57 PM
:gomer:

Is it time for an OC meltdown? :cry: :eek:

nah, just jump in over at CCF :p

Indy
08-28-07, 09:01 PM
Anyone want to lay odds on Mexico City? :shakehead

Rosco
08-28-07, 09:36 PM
Grand Prix Arizona
Cancelled due to economic concernsPHOENIX (August 28, 2007) -- After nearly two years of planning and preparing for Grand Prix Arizona, the organizers of this Champ Car race have determined that it is no longer viable and are therefore canceling the event for 2007.

“An event of this magnitude requires considerable corporate support and though we did establish some outstanding partnerships, there were simply not enough of these to create economic viability,” said Dale Jensen, owner and managing member of the sports property. “On behalf of my partner, Brad Yonover, and our staff that has worked so hard on this project, we thank everyone throughout the community – and in particular the City of Phoenix – for their tremendous support along the way. Unfortunately, current economic turmoil and the impact it has had on our sponsors precludes us from being able to produce the caliber of event we had envisioned.”

Jensen indicated that this decision has no effect on the Vegas Grand Prix, which is scheduled to start the season for the 2008 Champ Car series next April 4 – 6.

FFor the many race fans that had purchased Grand Prix Arizona tickets, online or by telephone, full refunds will be automatically made. For those who bought their tickets at a Ticket Master outlet, they must return them to the outlet of purchase for a full refund.

Note: A taped statement by Dale Jensen, owner and managing member of Grand Prix Arizona will be available online at www.thenewsmarket.com/ChampCar starting at 5:30 p.m. PST. The clip is titled Grand Prix Arizona – Official Statement.

DagoFast
08-28-07, 10:04 PM

What's the point? Really?

After Assen, nobody will have a mathematical shot at froggy. Just give him the trophy and pack it in.

Spicoli
08-28-07, 10:05 PM
Oh well, I guess this time IFool and the gomertards were right.:shakehead

Ziggy
08-28-07, 10:59 PM
but wait,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, this is a huge boost to the series,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:gomer:

devilmaster
08-28-07, 11:36 PM
Haven't any of you learned anything yet?

The question is my friend, have you learned something?

Just like Wickerbill said a week or so ago, the majority of OC'ers know what they want, and this isn't it. Simple as that.

OC'ers don't want Tony's crap series, they want CC but the guys who run our series should be doing better, end of story. And this announcement, once again, is this series shooting itself in the foot. Regardless of who made the call or the reason they made the call, it looks bad on KK, GF, and the whole series. No one can argue that fact. I don't care if it was the promoter - cause just like the centrix goof or IMG - you're dealing with bad promoters and you shouldn't deal with promoters who can't get the job done. I don't care if its 'evil' nascar and their cronies - just shows that they can't fight a heavyweight when they're a flyweight. CC looks bad, again.

The only thing that possibly looks worse is the fan who can't see (or doesn't want to see) that this series has some major issues and they need to fix those. And fix those quick.

One of my favorite sayings: Never promise what you can't deliver, and always deliver what you promise.

nrc
08-28-07, 11:42 PM
It's a pity because it's another black eye for the series. But I won't miss racing in December. Honestly, even in the best years racing had a hard time holding my interest once Football season starts.

Instead of having the season trickling into December with the championship wrapped up an nobody caring they need to wrap it up and focus on doing a better job of delivering in 2008.

Jag_Warrior
08-29-07, 12:47 AM

I don't think so. This Not Ready For Primetime crew running Champ Car could mess up a good Salma Hayek dream.

SteveH
08-29-07, 12:51 AM
Instead of having the season trickling into December

Cancelling Phoenix damned near wrapped it up today for Bourdais. One less race for Doornbos to score points.

Jag_Warrior
08-29-07, 12:54 AM
nah, just jump in over at CCF :p

And miss Meerkat Manor?! If I'm going to watch living creatures eat their young, I wanna see some trees and grass.

Chief
08-29-07, 08:31 AM
The question is my friend, have you learned something?
Absolutely. I had faith, stuck my neck out and they chopped it off. My apologies to all I urged patience with. You were right.

They musta sent SJ to close on some sponsorship deals.....:mad:

jonovision_man
08-29-07, 09:04 AM
Absolutely. I had faith, stuck my neck out and they chopped it off. My apologies to all I urged patience with. You were right.

Good on you.

I feel for you, I felt the same way with Ansan. There was a question of whether it would go ahead, so I went so far that I even sent e-mail to the guys building the track (D3)! They replied with construction photos that showed a track indeed being built, you could see pavement down and catch fencing going up.

See:
http://www.offcamber.net/forums/showthread.php?t=8605&highlight=ansan

http://www.petruk.net/images/ansan/ansan1.JPG

When it got cancelled I felt like a complete ass. :shakehead Had faith, lost it, haven't trusted ChampCar since.

jono

Spicoli
08-29-07, 10:17 AM
Serious question:

Who here was going to the PHX race?

As much as it sucks to lose it, and as bad as it looks to the public (which is bad), who's really gonna miss it? Racing should be done by Oct at the latest. Sept at best.

Indy
08-29-07, 10:44 AM
Serious question:

As much as it sucks to lose it, and as bad as it looks to the public (which is bad), who's really gonna miss it? Racing should be done by Oct at the latest. Sept at best.

Some people over at CCF claim to have non-refundable tickets. Which is amazing to me, that anyone would put their money on the line like that, considering CC's record.

Agreed on the date thingy. The race was doomed to failure as an event, anyway.

BTW, you know those cool vintage T-shirts I picked up at the CARA event at RA? They also had Hawaiian Super Prix T-Shirts! I asked the lady if they would have Ansan shirts next year, and someone next to me said, "no, but they will have Phoenix shirts." :rofl:

Chief
08-29-07, 10:59 AM
As much as it sucks to lose it, and as bad as it looks to the public (which is bad), who's really gonna miss it?
Not me. Not now.

Spicoli
08-29-07, 11:10 AM
Holy bajeebus, I just wandered over to koolAid ville and read the crap that certain people are writing over there regarding the termination of SJ. This is precisely why CC is in trouble: over promise, under deliver. Oh, and evidently we are going to be explained the whole story tonight when a certain poster gets home from work. :shakehead

the sad part is, the racing (despit the Sea-bass ass whoppin on the field) has been pretty good. But the PR/Communications/leadership dept needs an enema.

to me, the season could end today and we'd be fine. (sorry Ozzies)

opinionated ow
08-29-07, 11:51 AM

They musta sent SJ to close on some sponsorship deals.....:mad:

this might sound really weird (and it feels weird to type it, but it is true). my respect for you has now gone through the roof, your honesty on the matter is to be commended. its not as good an example, but i felt exactly the same way just before vegas, they have done nothing to impress me since.

Warlock!
08-29-07, 11:54 AM
Mebbe me... but mainly just to party w/ Anal Ventor. The race was an excuse to go.

Elmo T
08-29-07, 12:08 PM
This is precisely why CC is in trouble: over promise, under deliver.

Car counts, new events, new teams... :shakehead

Given the track record, how can they expect to negotiate ANY new events or woo sponsors? Credibility? :rolleyes:

Hope for the best, expect the worst? Had they announced a schedule with 12 events with 17 cars - everyone would have complained - but then got on the season.

Kool-Aid drinking fans? You have to wonder who is drinking the Kool-Aid - the delusional fans or the delusional management?

Natty
08-29-07, 12:20 PM
They should race figure 8 tracks. :gomer:

Sean Malone
08-29-07, 12:44 PM
"We obviously are disappointed that the organizers of the Grand Prix Arizona canelled their event," said Steve Johnson, president of Champ Car.

That's one way to put it. :shakehead

DagoFast
08-29-07, 12:48 PM

That's about the level of consciousness they have fallen too. (all due respect to figure 8 racers everywhere)

Fortunately, I doubt any one has enough faith in the DP01 to try it.

Insomniac
08-29-07, 12:59 PM
Serious question:

I certainly won't miss it. ChampCar has turned into a DVR sport for me. I prefer to watch most of my sports live (I hate it when the world knows what happened and I don't). With CC, I don't care. It's hard to read a spoiler if I avoid OC and SPEED (sometimes the ESPN front page). Especially once the NFL starts, there's no chance I'd watch that race live. These gaps are stupid. They need to have no more than 2 weeks between races (and even then, they should try their hardest to save that for the long trips). Testing in March, race from April through September (I'd prefer August) and be sure to wrap up the championship in the U.S.

But that's all crazy talk. The right thing to do is space it all out and have 6 week gaps. Ohhh, and make promises you can't keep.

G.
08-29-07, 03:52 PM
I was considering going to PHX; I got peeps out there.

But I'd have to pull my racing buddy outta school to do it, so it wasn't real likely.

Ruben Barrios
08-30-07, 10:27 AM
Four months ago I was trying to find sponsorship for a well known mexican driver, I met with important people in important companies... Here is the summary of the responses:

The driver doesn't have a presentation book, it looks un-professional and it is not even up-to-date...
Someone that presents this really must not want money...
Why is'nt the series helping the driver find sponsorship...
They have bothing to offer back...
The series is not going anywhere...

Bottom line, the driver never even tried because (presonal opinion here) he is tired of knocking on doors. The series really has nothing to offer sponsors. Unless something drastic happens the series is going nowhere...

I could be wrong...

Spicoli
08-30-07, 11:29 AM
Four months ago I was trying to find sponsorship for a well known mexican driver, I met with important people in important companies... Here is the summary of the responses:

The driver doesn't have a presentation book, it looks un-professional and it is not even up-to-date...
Someone that presents this really must not want money...
Why is'nt the series helping the driver find sponsorship...

Bottom line, the driver never even tried because (presonal opinion here) he is tired of knocking on doors. The series really has nothing to offer sponsors. Unless something drastic happens the series is going nowhere...

I could be wrong...

Is your name Steve Johnson?

Ziggy
08-30-07, 11:38 AM
better yet, you actually know a Mexican that knows how to drive:rofl:

Ruben Barrios
08-30-07, 08:51 PM
^^^ I know a couple.. I'll take you on a track anytime ;)

CART 500
08-30-07, 09:15 PM
2 innerweb posts by Natty this month
Hate Friday vs.Sanchez is next :D

JLMannin
08-30-07, 10:13 PM

I heard it on WIBC here in Indy yestereday.

RTKar
08-30-07, 11:38 PM

1) The driver doesn't have a presentation book, it looks un-professional and it is not even up-to-date...
2) Someone that presents this really must not want money...
3) Why is'nt the series helping the driver find sponsorship...

I could be wrong...

Who's to blame for that?

Ruben Barrios
08-31-07, 05:47 AM
^^^ Beats me, I guess it's a combination...

Owners of any business should make sure the business is viable, employees should put forth some effort...

chicken or the egg...

How can a driver get sponsors (driver shouldn't by the way, it should be the team), when the series has abssolutelly no exposure....

How can the series get exposure when the dirvers have no name recognition....

The only way I see for something like this to work is spending money...

NASCAR has started to decline (undisputable), what do they do, they look for new markets. They realize the potetial in the hispanic market (untapped by NASCAR) and spend big money to hire and promote a hispanic (JPM)... Has it worked? Yeah it has!!

CCWS had a gerat hispanic market share, what did they do? They pissed it away... How, simple idiocy would explain it... Want a piece of the hispanic market? Get a hispanic driver and advertize the hell out of it on Telemundo and Univision, you'll see what advertizing bucks do for the series...

$$$ Invest wiselly and you will see returns.

The only reason why any astute business owner would stop investing in a business (stop subsidies) would be if he knew the business will fold sooner or later...

RTKar
08-31-07, 06:57 AM
^^^ Beats me, I guess it's a combination...

Owners of any business should make sure the business is viable, employees should put forth some effort...

chicken or the egg...

How can a driver get sponsors (driver shouldn't by the way, it should be the team), when the series has abssolutelly no exposure....

How can the series get exposure when the dirvers have no name recognition....

The only way I see for something like this to work is spending money...

NASCAR has started to decline (undisputable), what do they do, they look for new markets. They realize the potetial in the hispanic market (untapped by NASCAR) and spend big money to hire and promote a hispanic (JPM)... Has it worked? Yeah it has!!

CCWS had a gerat hispanic market share, what did they do? They pissed it away... How, simple idiocy would explain it... Want a piece of the hispanic market? Get a hispanic driver and advertize the hell out of it on Telemundo and Univision, you'll see what advertizing bucks do for the series...

$$$ Invest wiselly and you will see returns.

The only reason why any astute business owner would stop investing in a business (stop subsidies) would be if he knew the business will fold sooner or later...

Isn't that the truth but not only that, they never really cultivated the American Hispanic market enough (imo). Shared some beers with a guy from Mexico City at Road America one year who was in Chicago on business. The guy drove the couple hours north by himself to see Fernandez race. That kind of passion is what's diappearing these days but frankly there's not a whole lot left to be passionate about.

Ruben Barrios
08-31-07, 12:06 PM
^^^ All of us are couch QB and we don't know what goes on, but one thing is for sure... The CEO needs to go... I would be looking at CEO's from TV chains, or other marketing lines...

They have got to decide, is it racing or is it a show, and move accordingly, if it is racing for the pleasure of it, then accept it will never be huge and focus on the racing... If it is a rolling circus, call PT Barnum... (you know what I mean)...

greenie
08-31-07, 11:35 PM
Serious question:

Serious answer - I was. It would have been my fourth Champ Car street race of the year.

Still, that track was beyond weak. But it would have been fun to be there.

The cancellation of the race though is really a killer from the standpoint of maintaining the "integrity" of the Vanderbilt Cup / CCWS championship alone. If this is a "world series", completing the thing might be a good idea. I'd like to see MLB abort a world series after a few games. :shakehead

JohnHKart
09-01-07, 06:09 AM
better yet, you actually know a Mexican that knows how to drive:rofl:

I had some good taxi drivers during 500 cruise ship visits there. So yes I know some.:D

John

Carnival Cruise Lines Musician, 1993-2001