PDA

View Full Version : Tony George: Schecketer can look for another ride

pchall
08-27-07, 12:18 PM
George: Scheckter can look

Vision Racing owner Tony George said lead driver Tomas Scheckter is free to explore options for the 2008 season because the team hasn't organized funding to bring him back for a third season.

"We'll have to see where we're at this fall," George said. "I'd like to still run three (cars) and for sure we'll run one, but it all depends on the sponsorship we can put together.

"That's our standing deal."

Scheckter has been evasive regarding his future plans, but it's clear he's interested in what might happen with the possible departures of Franchitti at Andretti Green Racing and Sam Hornish Jr. at Penske Racing. A.J. Foyt IV also must consider his options as George's stepson, Ed Carpenter, is Vision's only guaranteed driver for 2008.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070827/SPORTS0107/708270352&theme=

What sponsorship has Vision Racing ever pulled together?

Chief
08-27-07, 12:35 PM
So what's the net effect? -2 IRL drivers, right? And they'll keep Special Ed.

You lemming IRL fans must be thrilled.

Andrew Longman
08-27-07, 12:41 PM
So Vision will only run with sponsorship? TGs purse is now closed? Or does he just prefer to pay others to fill the field? Not a bright move if you are trying force teams to stand on their own two feet.

I'm thinking through how this compares to KKs comments about team subsidies ending for the 07 season. Seems to be the reverse. Maybe its like GF saying he won't run w/o sponsorship.

Maybe he's holding out for some Honda money. I hear they won't be paying Dario next year so there may be some spare change for the asking.

Ed_Severson
08-27-07, 01:04 PM
So Vision will only run with sponsorship? TGs purse is now closed?

Maybe he just figured out Larry Curry works there and doesn't want to take the risk. :tony:

jonovision_man
08-27-07, 01:31 PM
So Vision will only run with sponsorship? TGs purse is now closed? Or does he just prefer to pay others to fill the field? Not a bright move if you are trying force teams to stand on their own two feet.

I'm thinking through how this compares to KKs comments about team subsidies ending for the 07 season. Seems to be the reverse. Maybe its like GF saying he won't run w/o sponsorship.

Anyone remember Letterman's comment when he had Mario on a few years ago? Something to the effect that "nobody likes management, but we'll take his money!" It was flippant but there was a grain of truth there, I think the "purse" has been open for a loooong time.

I take this to mean:
"I'll run as many cars as I need to in order to fill the grid, but I'd rather pick a guy with a cheque or a pretend sponsor than stump up all the money myself. Sorry Thomas.".

No different than what KK is doing, the IRL isn't in much better shape even with the tremendous advantage the Indy 500 gives them.

jono

Spicoli
08-27-07, 02:40 PM
needs more chesson.

DagoFast
08-27-07, 02:53 PM
Yeah, why pay any money to the guy that's bringing in the results?

What was Tomas yesterday, 6th? I do know he was the first of the non-ex cart teams. He's probably higher in points than special and quattro, but why should I care if vision man doesn't?

I guess it makes perfect sense when you apply toeknee logic. :tony:

pchall
08-27-07, 03:25 PM
I think this goes a long way to show the rot inside the heart of the Vision.

As many things that we see going wrong or not being done in Champ Car at least Kalkhoven and Forsythe have actually tried to build a series on the ashes of CART.

Spicoli
08-27-07, 04:09 PM
I think this goes a long way to show the rot inside the heart of the Vision.

you need to trademark that one pete. :thumbup:

Indy
08-27-07, 05:52 PM
Our ridebuyers are better than yours.

RTKar
08-27-07, 07:56 PM
George: Scheckter can look

"We'll have to see where we're at this fall," George said. "I'd like to still run thirty three (cars) and for sure we'll run one, but it all depends on the sponsorship we can put together.

"That's our standing deal."

Fixed.:p

JLMannin
08-27-07, 08:13 PM

Maybe he's holding out for some Honda money. I hear they won't be paying Dario next year so there may be some spare change for the asking.

He is just following the standard IRL strategy - do whatever Champcar (nee CART) already did. For 2007, Kalkoven and Forsythe said no more welfare teams. They stuck to their word. Now TG is just copying what they did.

spinner26
08-27-07, 08:16 PM
He is just following the standard IRL strategy - do whatever Champcar (nee CART) already did. For 2007, Kalkoven and Forsythe said no more welfare teams. They stuck to their word. Now TG is just copying what they did.

And he'll follow CC right down the drain into oblivion. What a bunch a self servin sad mf'rs. They all oughta be shot and let Mario, Fiti, and Mears run the thing.

Indy
08-27-07, 08:20 PM
And he'll follow CC right down the drain into oblivion. What a bunch a self servin sad mf'rs. They all oughta be shot and let Mario, Fiti, and Mears run the thing.

Damn, that would be fun. Way too damned good to ever happen.

extramundane
08-27-07, 09:00 PM
let Mario, Fiti, and Mears run the thing.

Great drivers all, but I'm not sure I'd want them running the show. Emmo's business acumen makes Stefan Johansson look like Warren Buffett and Mears is just a bit too much of a Penske puppet for my tastes.

Mario as an ambassador is good, just as long some puts a ball-gag in Mikey's trap.

Chief
08-27-07, 09:28 PM
From the same article:

"It's not a difference (of opinion), it's just a difference of timing," Wheldon said of Ganassi's position. "He doesn't really say why, but he thinks I should stay in Indy-car racing -- for Honda."
Hahhahaha....Shoe-boi is an indentured servant to his YEN masters. HONDA OWNS TONY GEORGE!!!!:rofl:

Spicoli
08-27-07, 10:30 PM
Great drivers all, but I'm not sure I'd want them running the show. Emmo's business acumen makes Stefan Johansson look like Warren Buffett and Mears is just a bit too much of a Penske puppet for my tastes.

Mario as an ambassador is good, just as long some puts a ball-gag in Mikey's trap.

:rofl:

NismoZ
08-28-07, 09:11 AM
Took awhile but...JL nails it, 26 mirrors our anger, Indy is our cynicism and em is the realist! A bit of me in all those. Good show.