PDA

View Full Version : They killed Bristol!

Chief
08-26-07, 07:46 AM
Watched the cup race last night at Bristol. They fully repaved it in concrete with variable banking in the corners. Add in the car of tomorrow with overhype and sadly IMHO Bristol has lost it's charm. Most cup races bore me but this one used to be fun...not anymore. They killed Bristol.:thumdown:

Methanolandbrats
08-26-07, 07:55 AM
Watched the cup race last night at Bristol. They fully repaved it in concrete with variable banking in the corners. Add in the car of tomorrow with overhype and sadly IMHO Bristol has lost it's charm. Most cup races bore me but this one used to be fun...not anymore. They killed Bristol.:thumdown: Yup, I watched a little and it sucked. It looked like an IRL race without the explosions. :thumdown: No more slipping and grinding and the POS of Tomorrow is absurd :yuck:

pchall
08-26-07, 08:33 AM
Even the Fox radio shills admit that the repaving and reconfiguring have "changed the character of the racing" at Bristol. Otherwise, I listened to the Reds defeat the Marlins on radio and read a book. Then Dr. Who on local PBS at 10:30... :)

spinner26
08-26-07, 08:56 AM
Even the Fox radio shills admit that the repaving and reconfiguring have "changed the character of the racing" at Bristol. Otherwise, I listened to the Reds defeat the Marlins on radio and read a book. Then Dr. Who on local PBS at 10:30... :)

I watched the first hunert laps and said fewy on this orchestrated crap.

Redlegs are on a role, five in a row and 8 games out in the worst division in baseball. They could mathematically get in with a losing record, what a deal.

Didn't know people still watched Pure Bull ****.;)

Chief
08-26-07, 10:05 AM
know people still watched Pure Bull ****.;)
You missed the whole point...Dr. Who! :)

Andrew Longman
08-26-07, 10:49 AM
I was wondering what the fan reaction was going to be while I watched a bit of it last night.

On the one hand, the old Bristol pretty much required that you had to lean a finder on the car in front of you to make a pass. I don't consider that racing, but the Bristol faithful love it.

Now you can go two wide all the way around and make legit oval passes. It good for those that think the only racing is sid-by-side racing and I'll bet brings out fewer cautions (because there is less taking out of other cars).

My vote, good that they made it wider, but I hate the new progressive banking gimmick. Should have made it flat instead

Brickman
08-26-07, 12:04 PM
Watched the cup race last night at Bristol. They fully repaved it in concrete with variable banking in the corners. Add in the car of tomorrow with overhype and sadly IMHO Bristol has lost it's charm. Most cup races bore me but this one used to be fun...not anymore. They killed Bristol.:thumdown:

Kinda wierd, they now have to pass clean and people are complaining. ;) ;)

But I was thinking the same thing after they ran 125+- clean laps with two and three abreast racing.

Fio1
08-26-07, 12:20 PM
The Bush race was fun.

nissan gtp
08-26-07, 02:10 PM
race was a real snoozer :thumdown:

Chief
08-26-07, 05:35 PM
Kinda wierd, they now have to pass clean and people are complaining. ;) ;)
But I was thinking the same thing after they ran 125+- clean laps with two and three abreast racing.
Pass clean? 125 laps of "lock step" 3 wide no passing is recipe for extreme bordom. Did they swallow the blue flag? Zzzzz....I tuned away to watch the Three Sheets marathon instead on MOJOHD.

Walter Zoomie
08-27-07, 02:48 AM
Bristol sucks.
Thank you.

RTKar
08-27-07, 06:56 AM
...it's "kilt" not killed

...it's nascar, remember?

pchall
08-27-07, 07:00 AM
Pass clean? 125 laps of "lock step" 3 wide no passing is recipe for extreme bordom. Did they swallow the blue flag? Zzzzz....I tuned away to watch the Three Sheets marathon instead on MOJOHD.

Sounds like NASCAR has turned Bristol into IRL racin' without the crowd pleasing wrecks.

Chief
08-27-07, 07:58 AM
Sounds like NASCAR has turned Bristol into IRL racin' without the crowd pleasing wrecks.
The fast cars used to pass on the outside....now no one can move with them big azzed CoT POs. They kilt it goot.

Accipiter
08-27-07, 09:12 AM
Bristol has always sucked. It's only great if your favorite part of racing is crashes. If they reduced the number of crashes, then they have fixed it, not ruined.

opinionated ow
08-27-07, 10:20 AM
if they weren't running that s@#$box crap of tomorrow, that would be a real racey track. looks like the buttmobiles will be racing it next year, they should put on a good show (even if they are hideous)

TKGAngel
08-27-07, 11:06 AM
I had ESPN's NASCAR Now on the tube on Saturday morning. They mentioned that it looks like the COT designers screwed the pooch with the COT. The car is supposed to be great on ovals and meh on road courses. Of the COT races run so far this year, the road courses have been great and the ovals have been meh. Not exactly a good trend for the future.

Side note: the use of the crowd to display a Sprint ad immediately after the National Anthem was very tacky.

Methanolandbrats
08-27-07, 11:21 AM
I went to Bristol twice in the late 80s and early 90s when they ran actual cars and it did not suck then. It was fun watching them orbit that place sideways. :D

Andrew Longman
08-27-07, 01:15 PM
They mentioned that it looks like the COT designers screwed the pooch with the COT.

On the Speed Trackside show they were wetting themselves that the CoT and Bristol were made for each other.

ESPN must have missed the press release.

TKGAngel
08-27-07, 02:36 PM
ESPN must have missed the press release.

Or I was disoriented from worshiping the porcelain god that morning. ;)

In all seriousness, Speed's not going to do anything that would cause it to piss off NASCAR. Look at how they reined in Inside Nextel Cup after Helton and management got upset too many times.

Andrew Longman
08-27-07, 05:35 PM
Look at how they reined in Inside Nextel Cup after Helton and management got upset too many times.

Is that what happened? I actually used to look forward to it and watch it regularly. It used to be pretty irreverent with the production values of HS TV.

The fact that it was shown live AND three low talent driver Waltrip, Benson and Schraeder made up their panel made the show. They said what they wanted knowing few would care or notice. And the gags they played on Bestwick were a scream.

The best was when one of them hit the height lever on Bestwick's chair as he was delivering a head shot summary of the race. He dropped mid sentance about a foot and fell out of the camera shot.

OK, so I don't ask for a lot but it was the antidote for the canned NASCAR pablum

JohnHKart
08-28-07, 09:01 PM
Hmm killed the track but... According to Jayski, the number of ontrack passes actually doubled from the spring race at Bristol.

Jayski:

Passes Double at "New" Bristol: NASCAR’s Loop Data shows green flag passing during Saturday night’s Sharpie 500 at Bristol Motor Speedway more than doubled that of the spring race at Bristol – from 991 passes in the spring to 2,147 passes Saturday night. The consensus opinion held by the drivers at the conclusion of the race rang loud and clear: the new surface at Bristol Motor Speedway met – and exceeded – expectations, as the addition of a second and third racing groove greatly increased the number of passes – and thusly, the competition. Take a look at the total passing numbers from the spring and this past weekend:
2007 Green Flag Passes at Bristol
Spring, Location, Summer
184, Frontstretch, 529
128, Backstretch, 487
313, Turns 1 and 2, 571
366, Turns 3 and 4, 560
991, Total, 2,147
The 2,147 green flag passes Saturday is a 108% increase over the spring race at Bristol. The individual numbers also grew. Below is a look at the top five in Green Flag Passes at the spring race and the top five this past Saturday night.
Bristol Green Flag Passes – Spring:
1. Kevin Harvick, 52
2. Dale Earnhardt Jr., 47
3. Jeff Burton, 46
4. Jeff Gordon, 37
5. David Stremme, 37
Bristol Green Flag Passes – Summer
1. J.J. Yeley, 107
2. Jamie McMurray, 105
3. Reed Sorenson, 87
4. Robby Gordon, 80
5. Martin Truex Jr., 80
evin Harvick’s top mark of 52 Green Flag Passes in the spring would have tied him for 18th with Dale Earnhardt Jr. in this past weekend’s race. Tony Stewart, who finished fourth Saturday night and clinched a spot in the Chase for the Nextel Cup, gave the new track at Bristol high marks: "Guys were running over each other to pass each other," said Stewart. "It’s the most fun I've had at Bristol in my career. I can't give it a better grade than an A-plus."(NASCAR PR)(8-28-2007)