PDA

View Full Version : Odd engine note?

Andrew Longman
08-25-07, 10:08 AM
I watched second qualifying on Race Director this morning and noticed an unusual three-note, "low-high-not-so-high" engine note. Almost musical. Like rapid up 2-down 2 -up 1 shifting.

Anyone else notice that? Sound on RD sucked so I couldn't even tell which car it was coming from.

Anyway, I've never heard anything like it. It wouldn't even be possible in a sequential shifter and the shifts were so fast that they wouldn't normally be a common shift patter. Makes me wonder if I was actually hearing it bouncing off the rev limiter in some odd way.

Just stupid musings. I thought I had to work today and just got a call cancelling the work until Monday.

NismoZ
08-25-07, 11:16 AM
What!? No work 'til Monday? THAT bites.:D (PS-how long before we start using those continuous shift transmissions? If you ask me that'd be a greater affront to the ears of a "real:)" race fan than they thought the Whooshmobile was going to be anciently! Ban them now!)

Chief
08-25-07, 12:02 PM
I heard it too...I thought it was a glitch in the the video but it was happening regularly.

I suspect there's rise at a certain point on the track and the rear wheels are getting off the ground causing the rise in RPMs. I recall a simular effect at Mid-Ohio when the CCWS was there, just past the esses near the pedestrian bridge.

Andrew Longman
08-25-07, 12:57 PM
I heard it too...

Good. Nice to know someone has my back. :gomer:

Could be they are catching some air, but I haven't heard it before this season (or others) at places like LV where they were catching a bunch of air.

Don't recall MO though. Maybe catching air at higher speeds produces that sound.

If it is air, I hope the transmissions hold up.

OW
08-25-07, 01:18 PM
Certainly caught my ear as well......but shrugged it off to RD quality...

It will be interesting to see what TV quality sound will present...

OW
08-26-07, 05:13 PM
Didn't hear the musical sounds on TV...
Maybe it was different views...(sound captures)...
Maybe it was RD... or should I say RD feed...

But TV did not exaggerate it..