PDA

View Full Version : Zolder -- 1st practice

pchall
08-24-07, 06:46 AM
P1 Will Power (1:15.100)
P2 Sebastian Bourdais (1:15.253)
P3 Robert Doornbos (1:15.772)

T&S comments reported Power's time as 4 seconds faster than the lap record set by René Arnoux in 1984 in a Ferrari 126C4. A quick search yielded these results: Michele Albereto took the pole in a similar Ferrari at 1:14.846 and Arnoux had fastest race lap at 1:19.294. Ground effects were out in F1 by 1984, but it was still the turbo era and they qualified with absolutely astounding boost levels with various HP levels reported from 1000 HP to 1500 HP. Race day boost levels tuned the engines down to an often reported 750 HP so they could last the race distance.

Notes from another site indicate that, while the course is essentially the same as it was in 1984, all three chicanes were "re-profiled" in 2004/5 -- tightened, of course, to further slow the cars down.

Now, it's time to get my underemployed @$$ to my office and do my 8 o'clock. If I talk fast enough I can make the start of P2, if not, at least watch T&S for Q1. :D

Warlock!
08-24-07, 07:53 AM
Here's an extremely boring video of yesterday at Zolder titled "Thursday Build-up". It's like a Champcar Circus!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXHRsWXqgdk

Ed_Severson
08-24-07, 08:53 AM
Dan Clarke is apparently out -- took Heylen and Wilson out in a big way in the first 15-minute session. Baumgartner or Dominguez to replace him, Wilson is in the backup car, Heylen doesn't have one so the crew is hustling to get the thing repaired, but will probably miss all of qualifying. :mad:

opinionated ow
08-24-07, 08:57 AM
Dan Clarke is apparently out -- took Heylen and Wilson out in a big way in the first 15-minute session. Baumgartner or Dominguez to replace him, Wilson is in the backup car, Heylen doesn't have one so the crew is hustling to get the thing repaired, but will probably miss all of qualifying. :mad:

clarke out as in excluded?

pchall
08-24-07, 09:02 AM
Whoever does basic research for T&S and commentary is now officially an idiot.
Commentary just said that Arnoux's 1:19 lap was in qualifications. Amateurs or ignorami?

:shakehead

Maybe he's been Shiggy'd!

Ed_Severson
08-24-07, 09:02 AM

Suspended.

EDIT: Press release just hit my Inbox.

For Immediate Release
Contact Tom McGovern, Champ Car, +1 317 716-9261

Champ Car Suspends Driver Dan Clarke From Champ Car Grand Prix of Belgium
Driver’s Status will be Re-evaluated Before Next Event in Holland

Zolder, Belgium (August 24, 2007) -- Following an incident in this morning’s practice session, Dan Clarke has been barred from participating in this weekend’s Champ Car Grand Prix of Belgium. Champ Car Race Director Tony Cotman will make a decision one week from today as to Clarke’s status for the Bavaria Beer Champ Car Grand Prix of Holland Presented by Audi, Hertz, Gent and Pioneer.

“This morning’s incident was totally unacceptable and completely avoidable,” said Cotman. “Dan was already on probation after previous incidents in San Jose which helped lead me to my decision today. After the weekend is complete and I have a time to review the incident without the raw emotion of the moment, I will make a decision as to any further penalties against Clarke.”

‘Speedy’ Dan Clarke is coming off of his career best Champ Car result, finishing second at Road America in the last event. Clarke has made 24 starts in his Champ Car career, finishing on the podium twice and earning one career pole position.

RHR_Fan
08-24-07, 09:10 AM
http://www.champcarworld.net/pages/news.php?id=4243

16 cars? :shakehead Granted if Dan is being dangerous and doing stupid stuff I don't want him on the track.

Ed_Severson
08-24-07, 09:15 AM
16 cars?

No. He'll be replaced by one of the other drivers on the Minardi payroll.

pchall
08-24-07, 09:16 AM
Bourdais, with a 1:14.326, is under the real track record.
Rahal right there with 1:14.326.

Ed_Severson
08-24-07, 09:17 AM
Bourdais, with a 1:14.326, is under the real track record.
Rahal right there with 1:14.326.

Rahal's at 1:14.825, Pete. You ignorant or just an amateur? ;)

RHR_Fan
08-24-07, 09:18 AM

Thanks. :)

Ed_Severson
08-24-07, 09:19 AM
Wilson stalls and loses his fast lap ... knocks him back to 12Ath on the grid. :irked:

Ed_Severson
08-24-07, 09:21 AM
No time yet from Doornbos, under 5 minutes to go ... :confused:

Ed_Severson
08-24-07, 09:24 AM
Power down to 1:13.810!

pchall
08-24-07, 09:29 AM
P1 Power 1:13.810 -- no matter the circuit configuration, no car has gone around Zolder faster than the DP01.

Ed_Severson
08-24-07, 09:36 AM
Still wondering what's up with Doornbos. No explanation on RD.

extramundane
08-24-07, 09:46 AM

Dare we dream...could it be time for....ZSOLTMANIA?

SteveH
08-24-07, 09:54 AM
its reported that Dominquez will replace Clarke although no official announcement has been made

Accipiter
08-24-07, 10:04 AM
Clark appears to be an incurable idiot.

Did Minardi pull Doorknobs out in protest?

KLang
08-24-07, 10:04 AM
Champ Car Suspends Driver Dan Clarke From Champ Car Grand Prix of Belgium

Wow, when was the last time that happened? Ever?

JoeBob
08-24-07, 10:07 AM
PT was suspended for one race a number of years ago.

Ed_Severson
08-24-07, 10:18 AM
Did Minardi pull Doorknobs out in protest?

No ... evidently some sort of engine problem.

robot9000
08-24-07, 10:25 AM
They Pulled Shiggy's card after they ran out of excuses whey he could not stay on the track when driving by himself.

I belive it was the best thing to happne to him as he went on to become a star in the IRL. Right next to Jim Guthrie. I love happy endings. Brings a tear to my eye just thinking about it <snif>.

KLang
08-24-07, 10:54 AM
They Pulled Shiggy's card after they ran out of excuses whey he could not stay on the track when driving by himself.

I remember that one but it wasn't in the middle of a race weekend, was it?

nrc
08-24-07, 11:27 AM
Clark appears to be an incurable idiot.

Like I said, he reminds me a lot of Robby Gordon. :D

KLang
08-24-07, 11:28 AM
Official from Conquest:

Due to the incident involving Jan Heylen (#34 Grafiprint / Cosworth / DP01 / Bridgestone) during Friday morning's practice session, Conquest Racing will not be participating in the provisional qualifying session. The incident, caused by Dan Clarke, involved a total of four cars from the field and resulted in extensive damage to the #34 Grafiprint car. The team will be working hard to fix Jan's car tonight and he will be back in the cockpit for Saturday's morning practice session and final qualifying.

Dr. Corkski
08-24-07, 11:34 AM
No ... evidently some sort of engine problem.Impossible.

pchall
08-24-07, 11:45 AM
Impossible.

Is there an invisible sarcasm emoticon in your post, or not?

If not, what makes you so sure? Cosworth has been having system gremlins all season.

RHR_Fan
08-24-07, 11:55 AM

I belive it was the best thing to happne to him as he went on to become a star in the IRL. Right next to Jim Guthrie. I love happy endings. Brings a tear to my eye just thinking about it <snif>.

I remember in Milwaukee (whatever year Shig raced) they interviewed the drivers after they qualified. Since it was one-car qualifying we'd hear interviews every couple of minutes. When they got to Shig the poor man could barely speak OR understand English. After saying "uh" about a dozen times the interviewer just said "Thanks Shig" (or whatever his first name is - don't ask me to spell it) and walked away.

G.
08-24-07, 12:11 PM
http://www.champcarworld.net/photos/original/PJyGzs7q4721.jpg

Thanks, Speedy!

robot9000
08-24-07, 12:23 PM
Well, at least we have someone ready to continue the PT tradtion into the future :D

jonovision_man
08-24-07, 01:25 PM
So what happened? :) I assume there's no video. Was this under yellow? They said he was going 25% faster than everyone else or something...

Taking out 4 cars in practice, that's impressive. :p The kid's got talent! :D

Being on probation in ChampCar means something now? That's cool.

jono

cameraman
08-24-07, 01:33 PM
Some cranky drivers:rolleyes:

http://www.pitstoptv.info/pitstop/?page_id=430

shaggy_socal
08-24-07, 01:33 PM
I remember in Milwaukee (whatever year Shig raced) they interviewed the drivers after they qualified. Since it was one-car qualifying we'd hear interviews every couple of minutes. When they got to Shig the poor man could barely speak OR understand English. After saying "uh" about a dozen times the interviewer just said "Thanks Shig" (or whatever his first name is - don't ask me to spell it) and walked away.

Didn't they suspend Naoki Hattori in 99 after he took out two cars on the first lap, first turn of the season? IIRC Al Jr. was injured in that crash and sat out several races.

The Doctor
08-24-07, 01:42 PM
Some cranky drivers:rolleyes:

http://www.pitstoptv.info/pitstop/?page_id=430

They've got a right to be cranky, Clarke managed to cause a four-car accident on the installation lap! And his stupidity cost the home driver a chance to run at all on Friday, outside of half of an installation lap.

cameraman
08-24-07, 01:52 PM
I sure as hell wasn't defending Clarke. That is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard of. It was the installation lap for God's sake.

What the fark? Farking, we we all going around, doing, you know... and farking Dan Clarke comes out of the corner, farking drives up the back of ummm, Justin and then Justin just flies into me.

That's the strangest accident I've ever had. Was it Dan Clarke? Well um yeah I'm not sure whose fault it was just all three of us going slow and um ya know I guess Dan was passing both of us and I had no idea and uh I was going to pass Jan and I don't know...

Spicoli
08-24-07, 02:01 PM
Dang!!!!!!

:D

Gnam
08-24-07, 03:49 PM
On board lap around Zolder:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-eKJ6G6XAc

Thursday @ Zolder (Pure ambience)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXHRsWXqgdk