PDA

View Full Version : New York Yankees - Not so fast :gomer:

greenie
08-22-07, 02:23 AM
It's truly enjoyable watching the Angels drop the Yankees time and again. :rofl:

http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2007/0821/mlb_ap_ganderson_412.jpg

The first-place Angels, who improved to 6-2 against New York this season, roughed up Mike Mussina (8-9) and stayed two games ahead of Seattle in the AL West.

The Yankees were rolling along for more than a month and closing fast in the playoff chase before visiting the Angels, a longtime nemesis. New York, which has lost the first two in a three-game series, fell six games behind first-place Boston in the AL East and 2 1/2 back of Seattle in the wild-card race.

Kelvim Escobar (14-6) earned the win for the Angels, the only AL team with a winning record against the Yankees in the regular season (61-54) since Joe Torre became New York's manager in 1996.

Los Angeles manager Mike Scioscia has a 38-22 record against the Yankees. The Angels eliminated the Yankees in the first round of the playoffs in 2002 and 2005.

indyfan31
08-22-07, 10:29 AM
I remember the days when a trip to Yankee Stadium almost always meant a sweep of the Angels, the last few years however it's plain that Mike's crew has got the Yankees' number.

Garrett Anderson: 10 RBIs in one game....:thumbup:
(btw, they're still the ANAHEIM Angels to me.)

Dr. Corkski
08-22-07, 10:41 AM
Barry Zito sucks.

Andrew Longman
08-22-07, 11:16 AM
The Angels play Yankee-ball better than the Yankees do. Patience at the plate, timely hitting, solid starting pitching and defense. At least when they are playing the Yankees.

I hate these west coast trips. I just can't stay up and watch baseball at 1 am and the Yanks always have a tough time in Seattle and LA.
F1 is a different deal.:gomer:

But at least the Yankees have only changed their name twice and that was about 100 years ago. (first Orioles, then Highlanders). The LA, California, Anaheim, LA of Anaheim Angels seem to be as confused as the IRL marketing department.

See you in October.;)

Stu
08-22-07, 05:34 PM
(btw, they're still the ANAHEIM Angels to me.)

They're still the California Angels to me, and I don't even live there.

Dr. Corkski
08-22-07, 09:01 PM
The Los Angeles Angels is the New York Yankees for illegal immigrants. :p

However the Anaheim Angels will always be the team that kept Barroids from getting a ring. :thumbup:

greenie
08-22-07, 10:02 PM
See you in October.;)

We'll see if both teams even get there. There's going to be a very good AL team that's out of luck this year.

And I'm fully aware this thread could come back to haunt me in a big way. :D

Andrew Longman
08-23-07, 09:52 AM
Actually, if I was to put money on it I'd bet on a Angels-Mets series with the Mutts losing.

Good thing I don't bet.

Right now I don't see the Yankees starting pitching getting them there.

Now if the Tampa braintrust would let them start Pettite, Hughes and Chamberline in a five game series... different story.

Wang has not looked good of late. I think his arm is tired. Mussina was done last year, and Clemens can only give 5 tough innings.

Last night's game was a gem though. Glad I was able to stay up for most of it.