PDA

View Full Version : 66,327

RusH
08-18-07, 11:53 PM
This bring a tear...I was there at Giants Stadium in late 70`s for every match.
What a game tonight, it was one for the ages. Red Bull NY!!!

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) - David Beckham brought back memories of Pele and Franz Beckenbauer, reviving soccer interest in the New York area for a night.

Playing before a record crowd of 66,237, Beckham made his first Major League Soccer start and set up a pair of goals by Carlos Pavon in the first eight minutes. But the New York Red Bulls rallied for a wild 5-4 win over the Galaxy when Juan Pablo Angel scored his second goal of the game in the 88th minute.

Giants Stadium is nearly empty for most Red Bulls' games—the team's average of 11,573 for its first 10 home matches was next to last in the league. The crowd that came out for Beckham was the largest in franchise history and the largest there for a U.S. league game since the Cosmos drew 70,312 against Fort Lauderdale on June 22, 1980. . .

Sean Malone
08-19-07, 12:02 AM
Blah. 100K+ attended the now defunct USGP that no one gives a flying F about.
66K is supposed get people eggcited about soccer? 50 million 10 year olds play soccer in the America...one would think the pros would be more popular. Soccer had two known stars in 35 years...where do I buy tickets? :cool:

Methanolandbrats
08-19-07, 12:03 AM
:thumbup: :eek:

jonovision_man
08-19-07, 12:48 AM
They built a soccer stadium here in Toronto for MLS, holds just over 20,000... more than a hockey arena anyway.

They sell out every game. :eek: Beckham or not! It's been a huge success so far, it's the first year for the franchise.

We'll see if they can hold the momentum, but there seems to be renewed interesting in pro soccer and the MLS is milking it.

jono

Ankf00
08-19-07, 05:03 AM
becks was on fire, service was spot on

WickerBill
08-19-07, 08:16 AM
It was the kind of game that would get those 66k excited, too. Shambolic defense by Galaxy especially. But personally I think if this game were three weeks ago it would have been 5-0 to NYRB; Beckham's presence is actually making Pavon hustle ( :eek: ) and Landycakes do something with his abilities. The entire team changes when he's in; that's as much his leadership as his skill.

And I think, for all his passing abilities, his vision is what MLS isn't used to. You can make all the passes you want, but if it's always the obvious one, they'll be defended.

chop456
08-19-07, 09:08 AM
There is but one, and his name is Karl-Heinz Granitza.

Ankf00
08-21-07, 11:29 PM
Sweden vs. USA tomorrow, 1:30 CST

The blondes are bringing Zlatan

the US is bringing some new hotshot named Sink.

http://www.sterlingplumbing.com/difference/images/aaa01170.jpg