PDA

View Full Version : free tix to Joliet! Woohoo!

G.
08-16-07, 11:42 AM
Penske/Marlboro sent me a very nice invite for free tix to Chicagoland race. Comes with a CD. Haven't popped it in yet.

And I'm not kidding - it is a pretty nice invite.

So, I've lost track. Are free tix still a thing for the gomers to say doesn't exist, or are they now "really good promotion"?

I lost my scorecard.

devilmaster
08-16-07, 11:58 AM
Ya know, I'm surprised.

I guess no one can find the records of the old Detroit GP race. I was half expectin a letter for free tix or at least a phamphlet saying they're there.

Hmmm. :irked:

I already knew i was irrelevant, but when someone else shows it, damn that hurts. :rofl:

trauma1
08-16-07, 02:17 PM
we hear dario is going for the 3 peat this weekend, see if he has a pair, he has the dallarra push to fly down pretty well pat right now:rofl:

Elmo T
08-16-07, 03:23 PM
I guess no one can find the records of the old Detroit GP race. I was half expectin a letter for free tix or at least a phamphlet saying they're there.

Maybe they've learned their lesson. Nazareth phoned directly for two years after they made the switch. When pointing out that I didn't need/want tickets unless it was CART/Champcar, she said, "Yes, I understand. We are hearing that alot..."

Or maybe it is just you DM. ;)

Not to thread hijack, but: maybe I am being naive or clueless, but what exactly IS the purpose of the freebie ticket for any race series? The appearance of a packed race to attract sponsors? Comp-ing tickets so they can make some bucks on the swag? A goodwill gesture to the fans? :confused:

Gangrel
08-16-07, 06:34 PM
Thought every NASCAB seat for Joliet came with a free bonus EARL seat for Joliet. Wonder where they got the tickets to give out the freebies from....have the nekkarians all turned in their EARL tickets on the way through the exit gate? :D

Chief
08-17-07, 02:09 AM
AS a doubter please post an image of your terror. The gomers will appreciate it. Ank too.:laugh:

Andrew Longman
08-17-07, 10:14 AM
So, I've lost track. Are free tix still a thing for the gomers to say doesn't exist, or are they now "really good promotion"?

I believe the party line is that Marlboro has to pay for the freebies so it's all good.

What Marlboro gets out of it is some high-touch advertisment to their loyal addicts and marks, er customers/target audience. Given that they can't advertise on TV or billboards and have a bunch of other restrictions on them, and given the lifetime value of a single addict, a free race ticket and nice invite is pretty cheap.

What I don't get is how the state AGs are letting Marlboro Penske get away with it. They take Marlboro off the car but the livery is iconic Marlboro and they support the team with Marlboro mailings, swag and freebies.

Penske must have some good lawyers because while it may pass the letter of the law, plenty of judges wouldn't stand for it.

pchall
08-17-07, 10:44 AM
Ya know, I'm surprised.

Hmmm. :irked:

I already knew i was irrelevant, but when someone else shows it, damn that hurts. :rofl:

I know that I am irrelevant, but WTF did I get an offer of freebies for Kentucky IRL this year when I sent the last freebie offer back burnt to grey ashes with a nicely worded suggestion that they remove me from their database.

I suppose irrelavancy matters in the really small market formula car racing on ovals in this country.

Chief
08-17-07, 11:33 AM
what exactly IS the purpose of the freebie ticket for any race series? The appearance of a packed race to attract sponsors? Comp-ing tickets so they can make some bucks on the swag? A goodwill gesture to the fans? :confused:
It's all part of Tony George's master VISION plan, designed to undercut the marketplace, displace the entire economic structure of auto racing and destroy CART....all done to secure the entire American Open Wheel marketplace just for hisself because he was born to control auto racing.

I also suspect that NASCAR is sick of the parasitic IRL ways of sucking off the Tix Extortion pack concept and is cutting them free. Folks won't buy tickets to that crap so's they got to give 'em away. Same thing worked wonders at Nazareth, Fontana, Michigan, Charlotte, Atlanta, Gateway, Louden NH, Dover, WDW....just about any where the IRL goes destruction follows. Usually precipitated by a sharp increase in sanction fee too. Ton'ys a BidNess geNEuS.

G.
08-17-07, 11:43 AM
Not to thread hijack, but: maybe I am being naive or clueless, but what exactly IS the purpose of the freebie ticket for any race series? The appearance of a packed race to attract sponsors? Comp-ing tickets so they can make some bucks on the swag? A goodwill gesture to the fans? :confused:
Adverti$ing to targeted geographical locations. They're not ix from CMS, IRL, etc., they're tix from MARLBORO, which you go to the MARLBORO tent to pick them up, and they give you a free MARLBORO hat, which you can show to all of your friends, whom will immediately notice has a MARLBORO logo on it.

The filling of the stands is a bonus, which I am $ure is greatly appreciated by FTG, to the tune of super cheap, or free, ticket blocks.

(Chief, did you really want to see the flyer? Again, it's very nicely done. Hope the CD doesn't have a virus on it...)

Chief
08-17-07, 12:24 PM
(Chief, did you really want to see the flyer? Again, it's very nicely done. Hope the CD doesn't have a virus on it...)
Naah, don't waste your time....there's so few who care anymore it's not worth it. Save it though, someday we can lament the good ole days before OW died as the revisionists will try to whitewash it all.

trauma1
08-17-07, 05:53 PM
IMMEDIATE PRESS RELEASE

INDY: Team AGR has announced theat thier driver Dario Franchetti will be at the Chicago Air and Boat show to participate in the flying demostrations of the Dallarra "push to fly" and will be conducting flight test anlong with touch and go demonstrations.

pchall
08-18-07, 12:53 PM
I believe the party line is that Marlboro has to pay for the freebies so it's all good.

That is correct. I would like to know just how big the bulk purchase discount is for Marlboro these days?

Ziggy
08-18-07, 02:24 PM
Find out how many employee's work at the Honda plant in Marion Ohio, and multiply that number by six.

I was told every employee got a package with six tickets....

G.
08-18-07, 03:49 PM
Find out how many employee's work at the Honda plant in Marion Ohio, and multiply that number by six.

I was told every employee got a package with six tickets....The War is over, if'n the earl is doing so well that they can afford to give out 6 tix per.:tony:

EDwardo
08-19-07, 03:08 AM
I also suspect that NASCAR is sick of the parasitic IRL ways of sucking off the Tix Extortion pack concept and is cutting them free. ....

Didn't Anton the Wizard cash out of Chicagoland last year for $59 million? Maybe the other part of the deal was an end to punishing Cup fans by forcing them to buy crapfest tickets in order to get cup tickets?

As for Marlboro, I guess red hats, free tickets, and coupons for smokes makes sense for a sponsor that can't even put its name on the crapwagons they sponsor. I have never heard of Marlboro passing out free hats and tickets for Cup or F1 though.

And speaking of sponsors, I wonder why big name sponsors like Target, 7-11, and Motorola for example, never buy ads for crapwagon broadcasts?

As for the cost of bulk purchased tickets handed out as freebies, the first thing I thought of was the fine print found at the bottom or on the back of manufacturer coupons.

"cash value 1/100 of a cent"

Spicoli
08-19-07, 11:00 AM
And speaking of sponsors, I wonder why big name sponsors like Target, 7-11, and Motorola for example, never buy ads for crapwagon broadcasts?

My understanding is the Target deal is a push thru from their "end-cap" vendors. The 7-11 deal is that 7-11 is the primary "caterer" for all the Honda plants thru-out the world. I suppose the moto deal is putting their radios/electronic components in Homoco vehicles.

G.
08-19-07, 02:24 PM
I suppose the moto deal is putting their radios/electronic components in Homoco vehicles.They sold their automotive unit. The sponsorship is to sell Razrs. Makes no sen$e. Made sense when they built ECU's, but no more.

I'm not even sure if the Circle Blue Ranch even makes OnStars anymore.