PDA

View Full Version : CX9 Safety Vehicles

nrc
08-15-07, 03:14 PM
So what did folks think about the switch to CX9 safety vehicles? They look great but seeing them out there with the rear hatch up bump starting cars had me wondering about the practicality.

KLang
08-15-07, 03:21 PM
Did they replace all the Ford pickups?

SteveH
08-15-07, 03:22 PM
They look great. However, using them to tow a car out of the runoff was beyond stupid. CC needs to invest in a winch or two.

Elmo T
08-15-07, 03:25 PM
I was looking for a nice write up or profile on the new trucks on their website. Maybe Champcar Charlie will cover it next week. ;) :rolleyes:

I would like to see one up close. I don't know how they made room for the hydraulic rescue tools and fire extinguishing systems - especially as they need the back seat for the team members. I like the concept that each of the safety trucks are relatively self-sufficient: rescue/fire/emergency medical. I hope they haven't forgone a rescue/fire capability in lieu of using a sponsors vehicle.

I'd imagine that the two members who previously were seated in the bed of the truck will be much warmer as they don't use the AC on the trucks.

Insomniac
08-15-07, 03:29 PM
So what did folks think about the switch to CX9 safety vehicles? They look great but seeing them out there with the rear hatch up bump starting cars had me wondering about the practicality.

They did look pretty nice, but a truck does seem like it would be more utilitarian. Maybe it will be the incentive to get the onboard starters going? (Although that's of no help if you're out of fuel.)

cameraman
08-15-07, 03:30 PM
They need to rent a few of these each weekend and be done.

http://homepage.mac.com/datkinso/.Pictures/TH644C.jpg

Gnam
08-15-07, 03:37 PM
safety vehicles = lame. Does Mazda make a minivan?

A CX9 to shuttle a driver around is fine, but I like my safety in truck sized containers.

Elmo T
08-15-07, 03:45 PM
safety vehicles = lame. Does Mazda make a minivan?

A CX9 to shuttle a driver around is fine, but I like my safety in truck sized containers.

Champcar could buy purpose-built emergency response trucks. Nearly every fire department has some sort of quick response emergency vehicle. Look in your closest fire department for an example.

I don't know how much portability might be concern as well. Do they need trucks to fit in the haulers?

Wheel-Nut
08-15-07, 03:45 PM
CX-9 piece at the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4PHnhutACY

JohnHKart
08-15-07, 04:20 PM
While the mods to vehicle seemed impressive, I didn't think it was as practical or as easy to access as the truck. Maybe I am wrong.

John

DagoFast
08-15-07, 04:20 PM
The irony of one segment showing Sammy Swindell in a top of the line CART ride was just a nice bonus. :gomer:

robot9000
08-15-07, 04:28 PM
They are pretty good looking. They have eveything placed in the back and they seemed to haul around the track pretty good.

It seemed to pull cars out of the pea gravel pretty easy. At T5 during Qual they pulled PT out pretty quick and during the race they got them all out and running as fast as they ever did with the pickup's IMO.

gpflepsen
08-15-07, 07:08 PM
This is not an indictment against the CX-9, as it is well equipped and capable of doing the job. This is a comment against the procedure of pulling the cars out of the gravel pits.

During one of the support races (FSM, FA or FBMW) a car went all the way through the gravel trap and ended up diagonally away from the CX-9. I bet it was 100ft. None of the pull vehicle can go into the traps, so they pulled it with a 100' strap. The problem is, the vehicle could only advance 40' or so, then had to come back for another pull. Talk about a time consuming operation. Where was the Gehl lift to drive out there and snatch it up in a flash?

nrc
08-15-07, 07:47 PM
CX-9 piece at the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4PHnhutACY

Great piece. Thanks for the link.

Is Mazda's B series pickup much smaller than the Toyota's they used to use? Seems like they could work.

Rogue Leader
08-15-07, 07:54 PM
Great piece. Thanks for the link.

Is Mazda's B series pickup much smaller than the Toyota's they used to use? Seems like they could work.

Yeah they are real small, Ranger sized. I believe the Toyotas were slightly bigger

Ankf00
08-15-07, 08:38 PM
Mazda B series are Rangers, compact

Toyota Tundras are full size trucks, F150/Dodge Ram class

tantra
08-16-07, 11:14 PM
They did a piece on the TV broadcast from RA about the new cars. The cost of fitting everything in was stated as being $40,000.
There are four cars (previously 3 trucks) with 3 crew per car (previously 4 per truck).
The fact that they were able to cram most of or all their stuff in those little things is to their credit, but working out of the things looked sort of like an act at a circus.

Oh, well, 4 free vehicles may enable the saftey crews to respond quicker than they can with only three stationed around the circuits. Hope it works out.

nrc
08-16-07, 11:47 PM
Mazda B series are Rangers, compact

Toyota Tundras are full size trucks, F150/Dodge Ram class
The video was from '96 before the Tundra came out. It may have been a T100 which was smaller than an F150 but had a full sized bed.

extramundane
08-17-07, 12:15 AM
If the B-series crew cab comes w/ a 6ft bed, it would probably work just fine for CC's purposes.

KLang
08-17-07, 09:12 AM
I suppose Mazda picked the CX9 for their marketing reasons, whatever those might be.

I was initally critical of Champ Car throwing Ford overboard but it does appear the partnership with Mazda is working out.

Spicoli
08-17-07, 09:27 AM
I suppose Mazda picked the CX9 for their marketing reasons, whatever those might be.

I was initally critical of Champ Car throwing Ford overboard but it does appear the partnership with Mazda is working out.

....and leaves room for a series title sponsor too.....

yeah, i know...:laugh:

robot9000
08-17-07, 10:17 AM
I dunno. I like seeing Mazda ad's but supplying cars and trucks is the easy part (auto companies loan them out like Pez for various reasons).

I don't mind seeing Mazda replace Ford* but I would like to see the name used more actively. Ford may not have given CC one thin dime, but at least it LOOKED like they were engaged. And as we all know, perception is what its all about.

*Ford, for all intents and purposes, owns Mazda. They share a lot of development, platforms and drivetrains. Mustangs and Mazda6's are built in the same plant here in Flat Rock (as were Probe's and 626's and others). They are very integrated at a lot of levels. A Ford guy was sent to run the place and bail them out a few years ago (Mark Fields).

So I find the whole Ford gone, Mazda fills the gap thing curious. I still think it was crummby for CC to drop the Ford Pace Car program to placate Stoddart. Especially since a mere mortal could afford a Ford pace car ride, but precious few can afford the Stoddard ride.

JoeBob
08-17-07, 11:15 AM
It is possible that one of the terms of Ford or Mazda's agreement with ChampCar was a one year hiatus in engine branding.

Remember when the Illmor engine switched from being a Chevy to a Mercedes? There was a one year period in the middle where it was called an Illmor. (Mercedes put their name on the Penske Pushrod that year, but not the engine that had previously been called a Chevy) This could have been because Chevy had a no-compete type clause, or because Mercedes didn't want it to appear that they were bolting their name onto a Chevy.

Regardless, there are a lot of reasons to wait a year before rebranding the engine. Mazda definately seems to be stepping up this year, and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see their name on the Cossies next year.

robot9000
08-17-07, 12:34 PM
I understand, but Ford and Mazda are virtually the same company. Ford owns a controlling interest in Mazda.

Unless you are saying there might be another entity other than a Ford brand that wants to badge the engine.

JoeBob
08-17-07, 03:12 PM
Even with Ford controlling Mazda, Mazda probably wouldn't want the story of them branding the engines to be, "The Ford engines will now be called Mazdas." Which is what would happen without a one year cooling off period.

This way, they can make up a story about doing engine R&D, supporting the series, blah blah blah.

I'm not saying it will happen, but it certainly could.

Spicoli
08-17-07, 04:01 PM
They are loading out at Indy airport right now. Started packing W, out today.

beers tonight. :D

cameraman
08-17-07, 04:14 PM
They still fly FedEx? Who got lowest bid?

Spicoli
08-17-07, 09:58 PM
They still fly FedEx? Who got lowest bid?

fEDeX.

SteveH
08-17-07, 11:49 PM
I understand, but Ford and Mazda are virtually the same company. Ford owns a controlling interest in Mazda.

Unless you are saying there might be another entity other than a Ford brand that wants to badge the engine.

Ford only owns a third of Mazda. I'm not sure how much control they have. The Mazda 6 platform is being used for many of Ford's newer products, like the Ford Fusion and its variants. Picked up a Mazda 6 3 years ago for my wife and have been extremely pleased with it.
:thumbup:

Spicoli
08-18-07, 05:55 AM
Ford only owns a third of Mazda. I'm not sure how much control they have. The Mazda 6 platform is being used for many of Ford's newer products, like the Ford Fusion and its variants. Picked up a Mazda 6 3 years ago for my wife and have been extremely pleased with it.
:thumbup:

the wife or the car? :confused:

SteveH
08-18-07, 10:23 AM
the wife or the car? :confused:

:D

cameraman
08-18-07, 12:29 PM
fEDeX.

Okay here is a nerd question if there ever was one but I want an answer anyway...

Ya know those racks they use to stuff the cars into the FedEx planes, are they aircraft model specific? As in were they built around a FedEx DC-10 and what will happen when the last of those now ancient DC-10s makes its way to a sandy spot in AZ?

Jag_Warrior
08-18-07, 12:31 PM
Ford only owns a third of Mazda. I'm not sure how much control they have.

Ford's 33% +/- interest in Mazda gives it a controlling interest under Japanese law.

Gnam
08-18-07, 12:34 PM
I don't know, but I would guess the racks are car specific, or maybe tractor trailer specific. Afterall, no matter which plane carries the rack, there has to be a truck on either end to pick it up.

Spicoli
08-18-07, 03:03 PM
Okay here is a nerd question if there ever was one but I want an answer anyway...

Ya know those racks they use to stuff the cars into the FedEx planes, are they aircraft model specific? As in were they built around a FedEx DC-10 and what will happen when the last of those now ancient DC-10s makes its way to a sandy spot in AZ?

I can find out for you. I believe 2 planes full of ****, and I'll find out what they were.

I know that because the DP01s are all new, they had to have new racks built for all the teams. CCWS took them to the Cleveland race to let all the teams check them out. PCM was at CCWS most of the week trying to figure out how to pack all that stuff, and spent alot of $$$$ buying new caes, packs, etc for all their crap.

Rosco
08-19-07, 12:43 AM
I can find out for you. I believe 2 planes full of ****, and I'll find out what they were.

I know that because the DP01s are all new, they had to have new racks built for all the teams. CCWS took them to the Cleveland race to let all the teams check them out. PCM was at CCWS most of the week trying to figure out how to pack all that stuff, and spent alot of $$$$ buying new caes, packs, etc for all their crap.

This is the first trip for PCM, a lot of the IRL teams went through the same thing on their first Japan trip, many teams purchased old CART equipment, much of the extra stuff like gas cans, oil, etc are given to some local guys that help the team unpack and set up:D

Insomniac
08-19-07, 09:04 AM
Ford's 33% +/- interest in Mazda gives it a controlling interest under Japanese law.

What in the world kind of law is that?

robot9000
08-20-07, 11:43 AM
Mazda is much like a Ford division - Jag, Austin Martin, etc (not the badges - Mecury, Ford, etc). They are a seperate company, but Ford has final say on strategic matters. Engineering, plantform development, costs, big ticket stuff are all reviewed with Ford people involved.

Don't get me wrong. They are a seperate company, but their controlling interest is owned by Ford, so for all intents and purporses, Ford controls Mazda.

When Mazda started hitting the rocks a few years ago, Ford sent in their guy to run the place.

Anyway, the if nothing else, the pace cars and safety vechiles look really cool in person !!!

robot9000
08-20-07, 11:44 AM
What in the world kind of law is that?

Penske owned a similar share of Detroit Diesel and ran that place. I think they are just own the largest block of shares, so therefore, run the show.

Insomniac
08-20-07, 08:37 PM
Penske owned a similar share of Detroit Diesel and ran that place. I think they are just own the largest block of shares, so therefore, run the show.

Still doesn't make sense to me. But maybe this explains why Paul Gentilozzi controls ChampCar. ;)