PDA

View Full Version : Friday Crowds Don't Count

TU Homer
08-10-07, 01:21 PM
http://www.tulsaworld.com/webextra/content/2007/pga07/pgaarticle.aspx?articleid=070810_2_PG8_hOffi43770

The apologists would tell us the crowds don't matter on Friday. Why the PGA concerned when it only matters who shows up on Sunday?

-TU

Stu
08-10-07, 05:14 PM
http://www.tulsaworld.com/webextra/content/2007/pga07/pgaarticle.aspx?articleid=070810_2_PG8_hOffi43770

The apologists would tell us the crowds don't matter on Friday. Why the PGA concerned when it only matters who shows up on Sunday?

-TU

umm.... i dont think thats a completely fair comparison, cuz in Golf, Friday actually matters. :confused:

TravelGal
08-10-07, 05:32 PM
I think the driver with the provisional pole would think Friday matters. :)

TU Homer
08-10-07, 11:53 PM
What she said. Plus, it's butts on the hill, paying money. Dont let the shills chip away your mind.

-TU

Sean O'Gorman
08-11-07, 02:29 PM
You're missing his point. What the golfers are doing on Friday and Saturday is the same as on Sunday. Is [insert racing series] racing three days in teh same weekend?

TU Homer
08-11-07, 04:35 PM
You're missing his point. What the golfers are doing on Friday and Saturday is the same as on Sunday. Is [insert racing series] racing three days in teh same weekend?

You're splitting hairs. The point, Friday attendance does matter in regard to ticket sales, purchasing, and sponsorship exposure. But if you want to argue the value Friday has on the race, then go right ahead. That's nothing to do with attendance. That's more along the lines of race rules.

Hesketh
08-11-07, 09:04 PM
Friday attendance does matter in regard to ticket sales, purchasing, and sponsorship exposure.

sponsorship exposure? Unlike F1, Champ Car doesn't exactly get a lot of TV time for practice and qualifying, so sponsorship exposure is pretty limited on Fridays. In fact, CART once deemed Fridays so unimportant, they pulled several two-day race weekends ... much like the IRL is now doing: better to save the teams some money than waste all that good exposure. ;)

TU Homer
08-12-07, 11:35 AM
Ain't talking tv exposure, cause there ain't none. You ever been to a race? Ever been there on a Friday? Can you tell me the sponsors ain't there showing their wares? Different type of exposure. Admittedly, since my kids are all absorbed into their sporting obsessions, I haven't been able to attend as many races as I used to. None this year.

As for pulling the Friday event, I thought only ovals were pulled in some cases for Friday qualies. And if it doesn't matter, why is Champcar running Fridays?

-TU

Hesketh
08-12-07, 11:38 AM
You ever been to a race? Ever been there on a Friday?

-TU

No need to be rude or ridiculous. FYI, I have been working at races since the 1970s. And yeah, I've been there on a Friday or two or 1000.

fans... :shakehead

TU Homer
08-12-07, 06:11 PM
sarcasm, I knew you've been around. Just surprised you act like Fridays are unimportant to the sponsors.

-TU

Ankf00
08-12-07, 08:31 PM
I think the driver with the provisional pole would think Friday matters. :)

so all of 20, 25 people on this earth care?

TU Homer
08-13-07, 10:23 AM
You don't?

-TU