PDA

View Full Version : Road America 2007

KLang
08-10-07, 11:13 AM
P1 about to start.

Q1 isn't until 5:50 (central) ? :confused: Pretty late.

<sigh> 2nd year in a row I haven't been able to make the trip. :irked:

Mark521
08-10-07, 11:32 AM
P1 has started for CHAMPCAR. I am typing this from Canada corner on my pos blackberry.

Hot and sticky here at RA, big change from last year. Much bigger crowd too.

Later. Mark

Mark521
08-10-07, 11:39 AM
P1 has started for CHAMPCAR. I am typing this from Canada corner on my pos blackberry.

Hot and sticky here at RA, big change from last year. Much bigger crowd too.

Later. Mark

Chief
08-10-07, 11:50 AM
pos blackberry.....hahhahha, it's consistant though.

Insomniac
08-10-07, 12:01 PM
RA CC Schedule if you need it:

Practice 1
Fri Aug 10, 11:15 am ET

Practice 2
Fri Aug 10, 6:30 pm ET

Qualifying 1
Fri Aug 10, 6:50 pm ET

Practice 3
Sat Aug 11, 9:45 am ET

Practice 4
Sat Aug 11, 3:10 pm ET

Qualifying 2
Sat Aug 11, 3:30 pm ET

Warm-Up
Sun Aug 12, 10:45 am ET

Race
Sun Aug 12, 2:15 pm ET

KLang
08-10-07, 12:15 PM
:D

58 min Wilson, who lost a shot at a win in San Jose when Dan Clarke ran into the back of him during a caution period, has "Stay Back!!" in large letters on the back of his rear wing this weekend.

Mark521
08-10-07, 12:27 PM
pos blackberry.....hahhahha, it's consistant though.

Actually the hardware is ok, the ATT EDGE service is poor, at least at CANADA CORNER.

Practice one has just ended, time for brat and another beer.

Later. Mark

TKGAngel
08-10-07, 12:44 PM
58 min Wilson, who lost a shot at a win in San Jose when Dan Clarke ran into the back of him during a caution period, has "Stay Back!!" in large letters on the back of his rear wing this weekend.

Considering CDW probably had to approve that change (like the "Bad Ass Wilson" name change), I think it shows we have a sponsor with a great sense of humor.

And another site is reporting that Mo Nunn is in the Forsythe pits this weekend. What's up with that?

skaven
08-10-07, 12:44 PM
Actually the hardware is ok, the ATT EDGE service is poor, at least at CANADA CORNER.

Practice one has just ended, time for brat and another beer.

Later. Mark

:jealous:

Keep the updates coming ! ! ! :thumbup:

cameraman
08-10-07, 12:55 PM
And another site is reporting that Mo Nunn is in the Forsythe pits this weekend. What's up with that?

Paper must have lined him up with a hardcard:rolleyes:

NismoZ
08-10-07, 01:43 PM
Word is he is there to help a struggling team. Back in the game?... The Audis are lapping at 1:49, 10 secs. off the '00 CC record. How's the DP01 looking there. It was beating some of the old records but at high speed RA I wonder. Headed up there very soon!... (here it is, Bourdais 1:43.44...do they usually get 4 secs. between P-1 and Q-2?)

Insomniac
08-10-07, 01:52 PM
Word is he is there to help a struggling team. Back in the game?... The Audis are lapping at 1:49, 10 secs. off the '00 CC record. How's the DP01 looking there. It was beating some of the old records but at high speed RA I wonder. Headed up there very soon!... (here it is, Bourdais 1:43.44...do they usually get 4 secs. between P-1 and Q-2?)

They could use the help. The only team worse than them is PCM.

Bourdais did a 1:42.185 in the open test last year. I'm thinking it will be hard to set a new track record compared to the HP they had in the early 2000s.

Mark521
08-10-07, 05:10 PM
Reception much better sitting on the hill between turn 5 and the Toyota bridge, it also in the shade with on on bit of breeze.

Hopefully i can get T&S to work for Q1.

Still a beatiful day at the track. I should have married rich so i could do this more often ;).

cameraman
08-10-07, 05:33 PM
Bourdais did a 1:42.185 in the open test last year. He did a 1:43.444 in the first practice. That would be 0.657 up on Powers and >1.0 up on everybody else. 2.898 up on Tracy who was 15th behind Alex Figge:shakehead Yeah I know it's first practice but still...

cameraman
08-10-07, 07:10 PM
Down to 1:42.755 during qualifying

Make that 1:42.385

Dalziel is fourth:eek:
Make that 6th...

Gnam
08-10-07, 07:30 PM
Looks like Seabass is running downhill.
Legge still thinking about last year?
PT is one lost MoFo.

Don Quixote
08-10-07, 08:09 PM
Mark must be on beer number 27, we haven't heard squat from him in hours. :envy: :laugh:

Mark521
08-10-07, 09:25 PM
Mark must be on beer number 27, we haven't heard squat from him in hours. :envy: :laugh:

Lol, the data connection was hit or miss no matter where i was.

Thank goodness i had those beers, to keep me hydrated ;)

Finding shade will be job one on Saturday as I got burned today. Still better than going to work.

Cam
08-10-07, 09:43 PM
Lol, the data connection was hit or miss no matter where i was.

Thank goodness i had those beers, to keep me hydrated ;)

Finding shade will be job one on Saturday as I got burned today. Still better than going to work.

Can we get a sobriety and beeramid report from the campground where are all the usual suspects are stationed? :gomer:

TU Homer
08-10-07, 11:56 PM
Reception much better sitting on the hill between turn 5 and the Toyota bridge, it also in the shade with on on bit of breeze.

That's my spot.

Wheres you campin?

-TU

JohnHKart
08-11-07, 05:31 AM
Road America is my favorite track. But every other year it's ruined by something. Rain, Espn 2 Romanian Card game tiddlywinks, broadcasts on networks nobody gets...etc... Fingers crossed, I really want to see this one.

John

Mark521
08-11-07, 09:06 AM
That's my spot.

Wheres you campin?

-TU

Camping? I'm too old to camp.

Atlantics just fired up, another beautiful day here at RA.

I'll be on the hill at T5 for quals, probably Canada corner for practice, but I'll need to visit the carousel sometime today. After yesterday, I'll be in the shade where ever I go. :)

Mark521
08-11-07, 10:06 AM
At Cananda corner, Mario Domingez is sitting in the stands watching practice with some guy with on on radio headset. No radio for Mario, I guess his input is not required ;)

Kathryn is slow getting on the throttle coming out of canada corner, Bruno is a little better, maybe a Coyne set up issue.

Red flag, Sebass has stopped at pit exit.

More later.

TKGAngel
08-11-07, 11:47 AM
According to Speed, Dominguez is on stand-by in case Dalziel can't go at any time this weekend.

TravelGal
08-11-07, 12:25 PM
Missed this morning's "early" practice so I log onto the results. wtf? Looks as if someone almost completely inverted the field. Almost. Weirrrrrrd.

Insomniac
08-11-07, 01:10 PM
I can't believe I'm actually posting this.

Is there any other explanation for PT than he has pretty much lost the ability to keep up? I know FCR has been doing poorly, but Oriol seems to be doing better this season (without actually comparing them race-to-race).

DagoFast
08-11-07, 01:29 PM
I can't believe I'm actually posting this.

Is there any other explanation for PT than he has pretty much lost the ability to keep up? I know FCR has been doing poorly, but Oriol seems to be doing better this season (without actually comparing them race-to-race).

Let's see, unka Gerry is pouting, the crews morale is lower than FTG's IQ, PT ain't a hungry kid with something to prove and a Panozwaggen done broke one of his vertebra's in a ridiculously slow 40 MPH hit.

How many reasons do you want? :D

stroker
08-11-07, 11:24 PM
I wish I was there.

Mark521
08-12-07, 10:05 AM
Its a picture perfect day here at RA. Blue sky and a cool breeze, a significant change from last evening when the skys opened up at about 5:25pm. I wonder which Audi won?

A big crowd yesterday, but I noticed a lot of people leaving after CC quals and then a larger amount bailing when the storm clouds started gathering at about 5pm. About half the crowd at Canada corner pick up the left, while those hardy/prepared souls left put on their rain gear (which I left at the hotel, i bnrought it today, so no rain for CC). Man those GTs are LOUD.

I didn't see the beeramid this year, which camp area is it in?

Paul G. Said at the fan forum that the 2008 schedule will have China In May and CC/ALMS will be back at RA with the full schedule announced in September.

Hopefully more later, depending on the quantity of beer and brats consumed. :)

Insomniac
08-12-07, 05:10 PM
Can't wait to hear Ed Severson's explanation on the Junqueira penalty. :)

Bourdais gets no "advantage", no penalty. Junqueira picks up two spots, the assumption isn't that he gained a 2 position advantage but something more like 10 spots?

The early part of the race was pretty cool with the red vs. black tires. Unfortunately, that was the only time they were used. Too bad the blacks weren't the reds this weekend. Would've been interesting to see when people chose to use them during the race with 4 or 5 stints.

Ohhh, and I fully take credit for Rick Benjamin saying forward slash. ;)

Insomniac
08-12-07, 05:12 PM
Paul G. Said at the fan forum that the 2008 schedule will have China In May

Ohhh dear god. This again? Australia in October, China in May... :rolleyes:

Mark521
08-12-07, 05:59 PM

I considered blowing off the fan forum when I heard Paul G was talking, From the small crowd ( 250 to 300) I guess I wasn't the only one.

I'm at Siebkens having a beer. I'm told that Siebkens is going upscale, knocking down two old buildings' adding a hi-rise building and a pool. The bar will be spared. Actually a pool sounds pretty good right now.

How about that Speedy Dan? Pressued Doornbos into overcooking T5. He really does get better as the season goes on.

Seabass' last RA, I hope he knows what he's doing with Torro Rosa.

Anybody know if Damatta was here this weekend? I was hoping for some announcement regarding his future (cleared to drive, taking SB's spot, etc). ;)

All in all a great weekend, even though I never did find the beeramid.

TKGAngel
08-12-07, 06:04 PM
Were the Belgium/Netherlands races always going to be live on ESPN Classic?

Quick thinking by Cannon to tell Doornbos to drive over the curbs to dislodge the wing. However, it sounds like the Minardi team needs to have a come to jeebus meeting with their drivers.

Mark521
08-12-07, 06:12 PM

I considered blowing off the fan forum when I heard Paul G was talking, From the small crowd ( 250 to 300) I guess I wasn't the only one.

I'm at Siebkens having a beer. I'm told that Siebkens is going upscale, knocking down two old buildings' adding a hi-rise building and a pool. The bar will be spared. Actually a pool sounds pretty good right now.

How about that Speedy Dan? Pressued Doornbos into overcooking T5. He really does get better as the season goes on.

Seabass' last RA, I hope he knows what he's doing with Torro Rosa.

Anybody know if Damatta was here this weekend? I was hoping for some announcement regarding his future (cleared to drive, taking SB's spot, etc). ;)

All in all a great weekend, even though I never did find the beeramid.

opinionated ow
08-12-07, 06:25 PM
Were the Belgium/Netherlands races always going to be live on ESPN Classic?

Quick thinking by Cannon to tell Doornbos to drive over the curbs to dislodge the wing. However, it sounds like the Minardi team needs to have a come to jeebus meeting with their drivers.
yes. ccfanatasies was in meltdown over it.

STD
08-12-07, 06:31 PM
Paul G. Said

Sorry... :eek: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Insomniac
08-12-07, 07:11 PM
yes. ccfanatasies was in meltdown over it.

I didn't realize they were live. :thumbup:

NismoZ
08-12-07, 08:44 PM
To put into perspective the differences between the new DP01 and the Lola I noticed terminal speeds today in the high 180s. Champcars used to hit 200+ at THREE different points at RA in the past. The lap times however are just 3 secs. off the 900+hp record and faster than last year. Not a disappointment I'd say. The cornering speeds must be way up.

G.
08-12-07, 10:59 PM
No beeramid. I am sad. I wanted to add to it this year.

But it was good.:thumbup:

stroker
08-12-07, 11:17 PM
To put into perspective the differences between the new DP01 and the Lola I noticed terminal speeds today in the high 180s. Champcars used to hit 200+ at THREE different points at RA in the past. The lap times however are just 3 secs. off the 900+hp record and faster than last year. Not a disappointment I'd say. The cornering speeds must be way up.

Makes you wonder how cool it would be to have both cars on the track at the same time, doesn't it?

nrc
08-12-07, 11:33 PM
Makes you wonder how cool it would be to have both cars on the track at the same time, doesn't it?

I hear that they may have to do that since they won't have enough DP01s finished in time and none of the teams can afford to buy them anyway. Oh wait, that never happened, did it? ;)

devilmaster
08-13-07, 02:18 AM
I said it in chat and i'll say it again.

I see a little bit of Gilles in Dan Clarke.

I also see alot of Shiggy in Dan Clarke. :shakehead

nrc
08-13-07, 02:31 AM
I said it in chat and i'll say it again.

I see a little bit of Gilles in Dan Clarke.

I also see alot of Shiggy in Dan Clarke. :shakehead

I see a lot of Robby Gordan. His two wheels off at the kink reminded me of a move Gordan made there once upon a time.

ferrarigod
08-13-07, 03:10 AM
dan clarke is an every man.

James Dean
08-13-07, 05:01 AM
:thumbup: Congratulations to the McDonald's Team!!
I wonder if anyone caught Saturday's Michael Feldman's Whad'Ya Know? (http://www.notmuch.com/) program quiz. While working on Bourdais car at Road America, Mike, one of the Newman Hass Lanigan mechanics was the call-in contestant.
MP3 Sound Clip (http://www.zshare.net/audio/3112988902c1c5/)

NismoZ
08-13-07, 11:13 AM
Also both Rahal and Bourdais had WAY earlier shift points at several places around the track where I was observing. They'd grab the next gear up and accelerate toward the next braking point usually without hitting the limiter where most others would just run up onto the limiter and hlold it 'til braking. (Slick gearing decision?) They would both upshift at the most critical point of the left hander at the tunnel leading to 14, at or prior to where the access/escape road meets the track. It was very impressive and noticeable. I think Rahal was the fastest guy on the track toward the end (except the last one;) ) and if he's here to learn and further his career I'd say he and Dad made a great move!

Spicoli
08-13-07, 11:27 AM
Also both Rahal and Bourdais had WAY earlier shift points at several places around the track where I was observing. They'd grab the next gear up and accelerate toward the next braking point usually without hitting the limiter where most others would just run up onto the limiter and hlold it 'til braking. (Slick gearing decision?) They would both upshift at the most critical point of the left hander at the tunnel leading to 14, at or prior to where the access/escape road meets the track. It was very impressive and noticeable. I think Rahal was the fastest guy on the track toward the end (except the last one;) ) and if he's here to learn and further his career I'd say he and Dad made a great move!

bingo. Rahal the lesser looked very fast, and SB was in a class by himself. Def had better gearing, shifting points, whatever. FAST, unlike PT & Serbia, who looked totally like **** all weekend long.

Easy
08-13-07, 11:39 AM

Traction control and a ,,higher rev,, limit,,,

CART 500
08-13-07, 11:53 AM
Can we get a sobriety and beeramid report from the campground where are all the usual suspects are stationed? :gomer:

no beeramid this year thanks to Chop;) Fun was still had by all

tllips
08-13-07, 11:55 AM
no beeramid this year thanks to Chop;) Fun was still had by all

Why, did he bring cans?

CART 500
08-13-07, 12:22 PM
Why, did he bring cans?

2 big ones

jonovision_man
08-13-07, 12:51 PM

Really impressive that you noticed that... you have way more attention to detail than I do. :)

jono

TU Homer
08-13-07, 01:27 PM
Really impressive that you noticed that... you have way more attention to detail than I do. :)

jono

I would bet that the revs limit at RA much more frequently than at Toronto. When they do, it's pretty obvious, though I've not heard if the engines sound differnetly this year over previous spec engine years. I could tell the revs hit when the engine sounded like it just blew a rod, and missed a few strokes...sorta like me.

-TU

G.
08-13-07, 01:29 PM
Also both Rahal and Bourdais had WAY earlier shift points at several places around the track where I was observing. They'd grab the next gear up and accelerate toward the next braking point usually without hitting the limiter where most others would just run up onto the limiter and hlold it 'til braking. (Slick gearing decision?) They would both upshift at the most critical point of the left hander at the tunnel leading to 14, at or prior to where the access/escape road meets the track. It was very impressive and noticeable. I think Rahal was the fastest guy on the track toward the end (except the last one;) ) and if he's here to learn and further his career I'd say he and Dad made a great move!I was telling my buddy about SB lifting way earlier into T5 than anyone else, yet running faster. He's got something special. Then I realized that GR was running the exact same way.

TU Homer
08-13-07, 02:24 PM
I was telling my buddy about SB lifting way earlier into T5 than anyone else, yet running faster. He's got something special. Then I realized that GR was running the exact same way.

I assume the brake pads are spec too, huh? Sounds like the NHL is simply braking later and with greater courage.

-TU

Sean O'Gorman
08-13-07, 05:26 PM
I was telling my buddy about SB lifting way earlier into T5 than anyone else, yet running faster. He's got something special. Then I realized that GR was running the exact same way.

The sooner he lifts into a corner, the sooner he can get the car gathered up and out of the turn faster. Don't know what is so unusual about that, I think I learned that my first autocross.

jonovision_man
08-13-07, 05:51 PM
I would bet that the revs limit at RA much more frequently than at Toronto. When they do, it's pretty obvious, though I've not heard if the engines sound differnetly this year over previous spec engine years. I could tell the revs hit when the engine sounded like it just blew a rod, and missed a few strokes...sorta like me.

-TU

It would depend on their gearing I assume? They must use a different top gear at Road America than on the street circuits, no?

jono

NismoZ
08-13-07, 06:39 PM
Yes, I think that was exactly it. Nobody LOOKED like they were trying harder than Wilson. I mean that guy wiggled before during and after a turn and was pegging the limit! If he gets to N/H/L next season he'll be one happy (fast) camper. And Jono, I recall watching Tom Sneva at RA years ago and you'd swear he was the fastest guy out there...late braking, lock'em up slide out, scream through the gears and, hmmmm, P-9 or something like that!:rolleyes: Fun to watch but dead slow. Yep, Bourdais is really good and Rahal may not have had such a great season so far but I saw way more than just promise for him at RA. He'd have been an easy P-2 except for the lucky (necessary) early stop for Clark. I like him too. He really is Speedy Dan, if we can keep him between the curbs!:) Debate the hard cards but I'm still going to concentrate on the track activity.

cameraman
08-13-07, 06:40 PM
I would think the gearing for just about every track would be designed to specifically for that track. The series ain't that spec.

jonovision_man
08-13-07, 07:37 PM
And Jono, I recall watching Tom Sneva at RA years ago and you'd swear he was the fastest guy out there...late braking, lock'em up slide out, scream through the gears and, hmmmm, P-9 or something like that!:rolleyes: Fun to watch but dead slow.

Bad set-up maybe?

You want fun to watch....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05vLC_zjPpY

Kills me that he's racing cabs. :( And tell me those engines don't sound sweeeeet.

jono

NismoZ
08-13-07, 07:54 PM
Even with poor audio! What was that, 15,000 revs then? That track looks OK to me. It won't be quite the same layout when the HRL runs it but I guess the argument was with the "infield", correct? Been a lot of $$ spent to fix that.

Indy
08-13-07, 08:52 PM
It is the FCY thing that contributes so much to the fuel runs. Seb was just toying with whoever was second at the moment. Pull out a bit, then start coasting into the corners, then when second gets encouraged and pushes forward, outrun him again before coasting for a while. Why pull out a big lead at RA when a FCY will just bunch you up again?

Indy
08-13-07, 08:54 PM
Plus, has anyone noticed that the DP01 penalized N-H-L for the first half of the season (a little bit), but that their superior engineering has again allowed them to pull ahead? I had no idea how far ahead until I saw them in person. Only the worst of luck will keep the championship from Seb.

jonovision_man
08-13-07, 10:03 PM
Even with poor audio! What was that, 15,000 revs then? That track looks OK to me. It won't be quite the same layout when the HRL runs it but I guess the argument was with the "infield", correct? Been a lot of $$ spent to fix that.

Yeah, it looks OK, but that's not what the IRL is running... they're taking what was considered a bad street course and making it worse. :p And it will still out-draw MIS.

I love the end when he tags the wall... sparks and smoke, cooool. Ragged edge.

jono

TU Homer
08-14-07, 12:22 AM
It would depend on their gearing I assume? They must use a different top gear at Road America than on the street circuits, no?

jono

Yepper. They always use different ratios. I would imagine RA would require a bigger top gear.

-TU

Ziggy
08-14-07, 08:07 AM
I Bet it takes about a half round of wedge and a couple a cans o gas

set up details from neverwas, brilliant

really, a bigger top gear? Dang, you must ta went to one of them high falutin' private schools like Spicatolla.

jonovision_man
08-14-07, 09:08 AM
We were talking about hitting the rev limit... just pointing out that at a bigger top gear they're going to hit it at a higher speed.

I was only asking because I'm not sure what they're allowed with the spec chassis/engine.

jono

Ed_Severson
08-14-07, 12:29 PM
Gearing options are pretty much what they were in previous years -- Hewland internals, same ratios available as before.

TU Homer
08-14-07, 12:38 PM
I Bet it takes about a half round of wedge and a couple a cans o gas

set up details from neverwas, brilliant

really, a bigger top gear? Dang, you must ta went to one of them high falutin' private schools like Spicatolla.

wrote that after four large Boulevards. made sense at the time.

-TU