PDA

View Full Version : TV coverage?

TravelGal
08-08-07, 07:30 PM
I just noticed that all CCWS material says the race on Sunday will be televised on ABC. Time Warner cable, digital, seems to think it will be on NBC.

When checking tvguide.com I get:
Champ Car Racing:World Series in Elkhart Lake, Wis.: TV Listings
Click here to localize
Not airing in the next 14 days

I'm sure glad to know that SJ and the minions are doing such a good job for our series.....

:shakehead :shakehead :cry:

cameraman
08-08-07, 07:37 PM
All time shown are Mountain Time

Champ Car on ABC at 1 PM
ALMS on NBC at 12:30 PM

Your mileage may vary.

Try TitanTV.com. Very good stuff.

TravelGal
08-08-07, 07:46 PM
mercy buckets.

TitanTV rocks. At least they found the race correctly for my zip code.

Still, no listing on TVGuide.com? Not so good. Not everyone knows internet guru's like *I* do! ;)

Spicoli
08-08-07, 08:00 PM
http://www.offcamber.net/forums/showthread.php?t=13245

:\

opinionated ow
08-08-07, 08:20 PM
so, let me get this right. champ car and alms from the same race meeting are being shown simulatenously???

nissan gtp
08-08-07, 08:58 PM
so, let me get this right. champ car and alms from the same race meeting are being shown simulatenously???

nice job, eh ?

:thumdown: :flame:

jonovision_man
08-08-07, 08:58 PM

Yup! It's a brilliant strategy - take the tiny fractured fanbase and split it even more.

Kind of like splitting atoms. :p

This idiocy isn't limited to ChampCar, the IRL did it with ALMS a few weeks ago too. Lights are on, nobody seems to be home.

jono

Kiwifan
08-08-07, 09:17 PM
Hey you lot, you leave old SJ alone. He's workin' on a TV deal for us Kiwis as we speak,,,, oh wait, was that last month, or the month before?

Good luck with this weekend.

Rusty.

cameraman
08-08-07, 09:42 PM
The fault has to go to the desire of ALMS to be on Sunday instead of Saturday.

jonovision_man
08-08-07, 10:44 PM
They pretty much have to... they have to edit it down to fit into the timeslot.

jono

extramundane
08-08-07, 11:19 PM
They pretty much have to... they have to edit it down to fit into the timeslot.

jono

They didn't have to buy a network slot (at the worst possible time) when they could have been live on Speed on Saturday, likely drawing as many viewers as the network slot. I understand the Mid Ohio simul-butchercast drew a whopping .4 for the ALMS, and I can't imagine this Sunday will be much better for them.

Rosco
08-08-07, 11:35 PM

That way some will actually see some racing on Sunday:)

Lux Interior
08-09-07, 12:10 AM
ALMS race tape delayed and shown at the same time as the cc race?

Great. I'll DVR them both and watch one Sunday night and the other Monday before work.

nrc
08-09-07, 12:19 AM
This idiocy isn't limited to ChampCar, the IRL did it with ALMS a few weeks ago too. Lights are on, nobody seems to be home.

jono

It's not like Champ car can just pick and choose their time slots. Are you suggesting they should have gone for a tape delay on ESPN Classic to avoid a conflict? :\

jonovision_man
08-09-07, 06:57 AM
It's not like Champ car can just pick and choose their time slots. Are you suggesting they should have gone for a tape delay on ESPN Classic to avoid a conflict? :\

You can't tell me the only option was to run head-to-head on network TV.

ALMS wouldn't have even known they were running this race until they agreed to it obviously, so surely one of the stipulations of the agreement between the two could have been that the TV broadcasts don't go head to head. ALMS is a tape-delay anyway.

jono

Insomniac
08-09-07, 08:18 AM
ALMS race tape delayed and shown at the same time as the cc race?

Great. I'll DVR them both and watch one Sunday night and the other Monday before work.

I recommend you watch ALMS first. CC may spoil the ALMS race during their broadcast.

Insomniac
08-09-07, 08:20 AM
For future reference: http://www.champcarworldseries.com/Event/TVSchedule.asp?intlMode=false

nissan gtp
08-09-07, 08:45 AM
I recommend you watch ALMS first. CC may spoil the ALMS race during their broadcast.

true, bet they spill the beans in the first couple of minutes

miatanut
08-09-07, 04:08 PM

I don't have cable, so while everybody else was watching Mont Tremblant, I was watching ALMS at Lime Rock. That's three times in a row ALMS have scheduled their delayed, edited broadcast on network, opposite a live road race. I put the blame on ALMS. Being it's tape delayed, they can find a more appropriate slot. Maybe it should be before. That would be a bit early here on the west coast, but I'd watch.

rosawendel
08-11-07, 01:08 PM
another cleveland weekend: ALMS broadcast subverted for indians baseball....

Sean O'Gorman
08-11-07, 01:35 PM
another cleveland weekend: ALMS broadcast subverted for indians baseball....

Why complain? The race is going to be tape delayed anyway, might as well have it airing at a different time than the Champ Car race?

rosawendel
08-11-07, 03:24 PM
time warner doesn't have it listed as being rebroadcast. it shows the ballgame ending and switching over to the last half hour of the alms event.

it wouldn't be the first time the channel listing was wrong though....

Chief
08-11-07, 04:47 PM
Time Wormer in NY State has taped ALMS on NBC at 2:30PM - 4:30PM. CCWS RA starts LIVE at 3PM -5PM on ABC. All time are ET. I have no problem turning off ALMS for CCWS......:p

Shadow
08-11-07, 06:05 PM
Think I'll skip ALMS and send them an email to let them know they can't do this and get my eyeballs on their race.

jonovision_man
08-13-07, 07:48 PM
Ouch. And a half.

http://sportsmediawatch.blogspot.com/2007/08/weekend-ratings.html

0.4/1: Champ Car World Series on ABC, Generac Grand Prix
0.7/2: American Le Mans Series on NBC, Generac 500 at Road America

0.4 on network TV is atrocious... but having half the ratings of the undercard race? Wow. :thumdown:

jono

rosawendel
08-13-07, 07:56 PM
the entire broadcast of the ALMS event on NBC in cleveland consisted of the driver interviews after the race. no rebroadcast.

NismoZ
08-13-07, 08:12 PM
Actually I don't think ALMS was the undercard. They just ran on Saturday.:) Might have been more people there for that race too, if we are to believe a 33k claim for Sunday. They were estimating a 100,000 4-day. Was funny seeing CC at the back of the paddock Sat. while fans swarmed around ALMS haulers up front and CC area was wide open. Looong lines to get driver autographs for ALMS but few made the trek down the hill to see the CC guys. It was quite clear which was the the people's choice, undercard aside. OK by me, the joint effort seemed to work for both and we'll have it again in '08:thumbup:

jonovision_man
08-13-07, 09:45 PM
Wow... that's inspiring for ALMS, depressing for ChampCar.

Frankly, I've been in the ChampCar paddock enough times now, it's gotten boring. ALMS is always interesting, new cars and faces each time you see them. And they aren't all identical. :)

jono

FCYTravis
08-13-07, 09:58 PM
0.6/1: AVP on NBC, Manhattan Beach Open, Men's Final

Beaten by men's beach volleyball. Ouch.

jonovision_man
08-13-07, 10:02 PM
0.6/1: AVP on NBC, Manhattan Beach Open, Men's Final

Beaten by men's beach volleyball. Ouch.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry...

0.6/2: WNBA on ABC, Fever/Shock
0.4/1: Golf on NBC, U.S. Girls Junior Championship

Take that US girls juinor golf! ;)

jono

nrc
08-13-07, 10:07 PM
Open wheel racing has always been more about the drivers than the cars while in sports car racing it has historically been the other way around. ALMS has what that crowd has always been interested in - sexy prototypes with brand names that people want to associate with. Champ car lacks what they used to have - name drivers that people want to see compete.

I do think the field is better than many think and the racing has been some of the best in years. It's just hard to say at this point whether Champ car can remain consistant enough in either their schedule or driver lineup to build on that.

Lux Interior
08-13-07, 11:10 PM

I got hosed - my NBC affiliate decided to put on the Indians v Yankees instead of ALMS. Indians were already on another channel to begin with. :cry: :shakehead

Insomniac
08-14-07, 09:10 AM
Open wheel racing has always been more about the drivers than the cars while in sports car racing it has historically been the other way around. ALMS has what that crowd has always been interested in - sexy prototypes with brand names that people want to associate with. Champ car lacks what they used to have - name drivers that people want to see compete.

I do think the field is better than many think and the racing has been some of the best in years. It's just hard to say at this point whether Champ car can remain consistant enough in either their schedule or driver lineup to build on that.

I think OWR had some of that too. They had 3 or 4 manufacturers. I guess Mercedes being the "biggest" name. I just wonder though. Since the brand is kind of synonymous with the team in ALMS (and F1), are they associating with the brand or the team? Maybe both? In OWR (in its heyday) you saw wearing a lot of team gear as opposed to individual engine manufacturers since many teams used the same engine.

I think this season has been better than the last, but I just don't see how they're going to catch channel surfers in this day and age. They need some type of hype to get someone to tune in. That's why people think a young American driver is important. He's more likely to get press over here than a foreign driver. Someone like AJ Allmendinger who was fast and won might've started to get more press and maybe more people would tune in to see him.

Insomniac
08-14-07, 09:11 AM
I got hosed - my NBC affiliate decided to put on the Indians v Yankees instead of ALMS. Indians were already on another channel to begin with. :cry: :shakehead

I don't watch ALMS, but someone in another thread said the last race was all interviews. Maybe you didn't miss much. ;)

extramundane
08-14-07, 11:14 AM
I don't watch ALMS, but someone in another thread said the last race was all interviews. Maybe you didn't miss much. ;)

Their network broadcasts have been horrible. The 2h45m races were bad enough when hacked to fit a 2h timeslot, so I can only imagine what a 4h race looked like.

And I had to imagine, since the local NBC affiliate broadcast Oliver Hill's funeral instead of the ALMS race.

cameraman
08-14-07, 02:41 PM
Most of the ALMS race was replaced by a coal mine collapse press conference in Utah. The CCWS race was shown as an inset but the audio was the press conference. In terms of ratings neither was broadcast in Utah.

G.
08-14-07, 09:05 PM
Are they going to replay the CC race?

Damn kids filled up the dvr. I gotta teach number 2 how to use the remote, specifically which buttons NOT to push.:flame:

Lux Interior
08-14-07, 10:27 PM

Damn kids filled up the dvr. I gotta teach number 2 how to use the remote, specifically which buttons NOT to push.:flame:

My kids figured out how to set it to record every drake and josh on nick every day, even the repeats. there were like 40 episodes on the dvr

I need to learn those parental controls

Insomniac
08-15-07, 08:40 AM

I have not seen them replay any race this year.