PDA

View Full Version : Robby Gordon at Montreal. Thoughts anyone?

Accipiter
08-05-07, 10:23 AM
The biggest ass in racing added another legendary moment yesterday.

late in the race, he bumps Ambrose to get by, Ambrose pays him back spinning him out, a yellow flag ensues (the exact timing of which is questionable). NASCAR eventually works it out that Robby regaind his pace in time to restart him in 13th place. He disagrees, decides to restart in second, stops being scorred by NASCAR as soon as he crosses the line. He then takes out Ambrose handing the lead to Harvik, and drives to the finish as if he's won the race. He then does burn-outs and doughnuts and claims on TV that he won and will protest.

I think a milti-race ban is in his near future.

Accipiter
08-05-07, 10:26 AM
Oops, update:

NASCAR 'parks' Robby Gordon at Pocono Raceway
SCENEDAILY - 09:10AM ET SUNDAY AUGUST 5, 2007 - BY JEFF GLUCK - ASSOCIATE EDITOR

LONG POND, Pa. - Robby Gordon has been parked for today's Nextel Cup race at Pocono Raceway, NASCAR officials announced this morning.

P.J. Jones will drive the No. 7 Robby Gordon Motorsports Ford for Gordon, crew chief Gene Nead said.

"Toward the end of Saturday's race at Montreal, Robby Gordon demonstrated blatant disrespect and disregard for NASCAR directives on multiple occasions," NASCAR spokesman Kerry Tharp said. "His actions were certainly disruptive to the orderly conduct of the event."

Gordon became the first driver to be parked for a Nextel Cup event since Kevin Harvick in 2002.

"We will not let a driver conduct himself that way," Tharp said. "It certainly is way over the line when it comes to conduct on the track and doing what is expected of a driver to keep the event orderly."

http://www.scenedaily.com/stories/2007/07/30/scene_daily190.html

:rofl: :laugh:

Methanolandbrats
08-05-07, 10:34 AM
Wobby's career is just about over------------>IRL?

TKGAngel
08-05-07, 11:08 AM
Ambrose handled the situation with class and dignity, and better than most of that NASCAR lot would have. Robby (who I normally have no problem with), acted like a petulant 5-year old whose cookie was taken away from him.

Good to see that Carp finished the race in second. That crowd would have gone nuts if he would have won.

jonovision_man
08-05-07, 11:14 AM
Ambrose handled the situation with class and dignity, and better than most of that NASCAR lot would have.

He was ridiculously calm!!! I would have been livid after that.

Robby (who I normally have no problem with), acted like a petulant 5-year old whose cookie was taken away from him.

LOL. :)

I can't believe NASCAR actually did something. Wow.

jono

Accipiter
08-05-07, 11:24 AM
He was ridiculously calm!!! I would have been livid after that.

IIRC, he got his hand slapped pretty hard once for talking out of turn in Aussie V8s once. Perhaps he's taken a shut-up-and-drive attitude since then?

Winston Wolfe
08-05-07, 12:32 PM
Robby has really done it to himself this time.
I DVR'd the race and watched the last few laps with interest. Robby was in 5th on a final restart and passing guys in places that didnt seem possible, but Ambrose was still doing fastest laps in 1st place with no one to hold him up.
Robby gets into second after a couple guys spin, and there is a final restart.
Robby and Ambrose take off togther, Harvick spins Pruett and mayhem ensues behind.... Robby rubs Ambrose and clearly is in first place when yellow flags start waving.... next corner, Ambrose crumples the right rear on Gordon's car and spins his ass.... Robby just does a 3pt turn and joins the field, passing all the cars until he pulls up along side Ambrose in first....
(I thought he was gonna drive into Ambrose like he did to Mikey back in CART when the raced at Cleveberg back in 95 or 96 on the cool down lap !!! )
Then Robby disregards all coventional wisdom and spins out Ambrose, and acts like he wins the race even though NASCAR "officials" have black flagged him.

Like Jimmy Spencer said this AM on NECKCAR live at the track....
That is like a baseball player getting called out on strikes, but doesnt like the umpires call and goes to first base anyway, and refuses to get back in the dugout.... (funny part was Jimmy "All you can eat Buffet" SPencer said baseball REFEREE :rofl: )

Robby has really dont it to himself this time.... this is up there with kicking the Ford logo, taking out teammates when on RCR, clashing with just about every team at one time or another when he was driving for someone else, and throwing his helmet at Mikey Waltrip after Waltrip the Lesser took Robby out .... the penalties have only started to be dished out on this one....

TRANSAM
08-05-07, 12:50 PM
"Robby rubs Ambrose and clearly is in first place when yellow flags start waving...."

Did the yellow come out before Robby's pass? I think so.

SteveH
08-05-07, 01:08 PM
NASCAR parks Gordon for today.

http://www.speedtv.com./articles/nascar/nextel/39229/

Tony George
08-05-07, 02:05 PM
Nascar is a joke. Rasslin on wheels. :gomer: :gomer: :gomer:

Andrew Longman
08-05-07, 05:13 PM
I'm not going to take on the chore of defending RG character. Once he got the black flag he'd already lost the argument and even if he was right he's only going to show up NASCAR and they won't score him anyway. No driver can ever win by ignoring a black flag. Ever.

BUT...

When Pruett spun, by rule the field is frozen. Gordon was in second at the time. Almost at that instant he passed Ambrose who returned the favor by spinning him out. It seemed clear to me that neither realized the course had gone yellow. By rule, he should be put in line in P2. NASCAR disagreed and said he failed in his responsibility to stay in line and return to the S/F in a "cautious manner". NASCAR wanted him at P13 where he was once he recovered from the spin.

You might not like Bobby but NASCAR hates him too and I'm afraid let their bias influence their officiating

Sean O'Gorman
08-05-07, 06:19 PM
I think Robby's intentional spin of Marcos Ambrose is what pushed things over the edge. You can spin guys in NASCAR, but retaliation isn't allowed. Maybe they need to adopt Grand-Am's avoidable contact rules.

opinionated ow
08-05-07, 06:39 PM
IIRC, he got his hand slapped pretty hard once for talking out of turn in Aussie V8s once. Perhaps he's taken a shut-up-and-drive attitude since then?

not really. you used to only get in trouble if you bad mouthed an official, and i don't remember Ambrose doing that even once.

grungex
08-05-07, 09:26 PM
I think Robby's intentional spin of Marcos Ambrose is what pushed things over the edge. You can spin guys in NASCAR, but retaliation isn't allowed. Maybe they need to adopt Grand-Am's avoidable contact rules.

Right, and lose all their fans? Not bloody likely...

stroker
08-05-07, 10:27 PM
they should have summarily banned him for life. Period.

It'd be a long goddamn time before somebody pulled that stunt again.

DagoFast
08-05-07, 11:55 PM
Robby Gordon at Montreal. Thoughts anyone?

Yes!

Nascar blows goats, but I bet Vince McMahon is flattered.

Robby Gordon still ain't the sharpest tool in the shed.

Why on earth did canukians show up? Those fugly sleds were pitiful on that track.

trauma1
08-06-07, 09:20 AM
robby gordon-= how to win friends and lose sponsors:gomer:

opinionated ow
08-06-07, 09:29 AM
what ever happened to the good robby gordon of the cart era?

extramundane
08-06-07, 09:32 AM
what ever happened to the good robby gordon of the cart era?

Yeah, it's not like that Robby Gordon was a bull-headed jerkweed who'd rather blow up his own engine than finish a race mid-pack or anything. :gomer:

Sean O'Gorman
08-06-07, 09:46 AM
robby gordon-= how to win friends and lose sponsors:gomer:

Are you kidding, for Robby Gordon, you cant buy this kind of publicity!

Fio1
08-06-07, 10:22 AM
he's an idiot and a cowboy. he needs to stick to off road racing.......

Andrew Longman
08-06-07, 11:32 AM
he's an idiot and a cowboy. he needs to stick to off road racing.......

Maybe, but he knows how to road race better than NASCAR knows how to officiate a road race.

mueber
08-06-07, 01:18 PM
I turned on the TV and there were 15 laps left. When I shut the TV off there were 4 laps left and I'd grown a full beard. A typical Busch League road race.

extramundane
08-06-07, 01:25 PM
I turned on the TV and there were 15 laps left. When I shut the TV off there were 4 laps left and I'd grown a full beard. A typical Busch League road race.

I saw the last 15 minutes of the GA race, and it wasn't much better. Unnecessary FCY with 11 minutes to go, followed by 10 minutes of pace car and a green flag with 1 minute to go. But hey, it was a close finish! :gomer:

Redwing
08-06-07, 01:31 PM
It's not as though R. Gordon needs a win to keep a ride...

pchall
08-06-07, 01:44 PM
"Robby rubs Ambrose and clearly is in first place when yellow flags start waving...."

Did the yellow come out before Robby's pass? I think so.

Ask Helio, he might be able to judge this one.

Accipiter
08-07-07, 11:01 AM
I taped Wind Tunnel and wacthed it last night. Apparently NASCAR's postion is that Robby Gordon passed Ambrose under Yellow, and that his spin was the result of racing under yellow, thereofore he did not deserve to regain his position. Which makes a sort of sense as long as you ignore Ambrose's actions.

Of couse he deserved his penalty and more for what he did after that.

Accipiter
08-07-07, 11:06 AM
I saw the last 15 minutes of the GA race, and it wasn't much better. Unnecessary FCY with 11 minutes to go, followed by 10 minutes of pace car and a green flag with 1 minute to go. But hey, it was a close finish! :gomer:

The pace cars for both the Busch and GA races seemed to be going 15 MPH. They need to get themselves one of those AMG Mercedes that F1 uses, and a Bernd Maylander to drive it.

Andrew Longman
08-07-07, 11:37 AM
The pace cars for both the Busch and GA races seemed to be going 15 MPH. They need to get themselves one of those AMG Mercedes that F1 uses, and a Bernd Maylander to drive it.

Pit speed limit at Montreal was 30mph. I believe the pace car circles at pit speed so drivers can set the tach.

But why the speed limit was 30 mph is beyond me. The Montreal pit isn't unusual and I drive faster than 30 in my driveway.

Accipiter
08-07-07, 11:54 AM
I've always thought that was silly. Use the pace car to set the tach before the race, but up the speed to a useful level during the race. Perhaps 30 MPH is the safest speed the pace car could go through some of the corners... Which brings me back to the Merc and Maylander.