PDA

View Full Version : Fall is in the Air!! - Football

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12

Andrew Longman
12-11-07, 10:19 PM
BTW, The best concert I have evar witnessed was The Boss,

Me too. Starting with the Stone Pony when I was 15 and climbed through a mens room window, to the War Memorial in Trenton, to the night he literally broke Jadwin Gym on Princeton University (dancing fans did structural damage in the balcony - last concert ever there) to the Vet on the Born tour and beyond.

Face it though, Bruce can make Santa Clause is Coming to Town a kick ass song.

Not surprised he would understand that Snoopy would be a big deal in Ohio though. ;)

Don Quixote
12-11-07, 11:43 PM
I saw Rick Derringer play at the Columbus Agora in the mid 70's. The place was packed. The crowd chanted "we want sloopy" during every break between songs. He didn't get it. He kept saying, we don't do that song anymore. So, the a-hole refused to play the song he made famous. :gomer:

Ankf00
12-12-07, 03:32 PM
Forde on Petrino

Early in his career, Rick Pitino was famously called Larry Brown on training wheels. Petrino isn't Larry Brown on training wheels; he's Larry Brown in a Maserati.
:laugh: :rofl:

coolhand
12-12-07, 11:58 PM
Yessss! Finally got Bowl tickets in the student Lottery! :thumbup: They organized it by seniority this year.

Andrew Longman
12-13-07, 09:50 AM
Yessss! Finally got Bowl tickets in the student Lottery! :thumbup: They organized it by seniority this year.

My son was trying to get me to bid on 4 Orange Bowl ticket on eBay. They went for $20. :gomer:

dando
12-14-07, 06:22 PM
I'm also happy to not hear Rich Rodriguez's name for once. :)

Uh oh...

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071214/UPDATE/712140453

The Michigan football coaching search has taken another turn, this time to Toledo, where Michigan officials are meeting today with West Virginia coach Rich Rodriguez.

Michigan president Mary Sue Coleman and athletic director Bill Martin are talking to Rodriguez about the U-M vacancy, according to sources with knowledge of the search.

:gomer:

-Kevin

Insomniac
12-14-07, 07:07 PM
Uh oh...

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071214/UPDATE/712140453

:gomer:

-Kevin

They must love West Virginia. Took the basketball coach last year.

dando
12-14-07, 07:17 PM
They must love West Virginia. Took the basketball coach last year.

Yeah, and UM lost to Harvard and former UM coach Tommy Ammaker. I'm just trying to figger out where the LLLLs should go in his name. Rich LLLLL Rodriguez? :D

-Kevin

coolhand
12-15-07, 03:29 AM
http://uclaband.com/gallery/view_photo.php?set_albumName=cal03&id=66FD0048BrianS

:rofl: :rofl:

Hardpoint
12-15-07, 08:49 AM
Yeah, and UM lost to Harvard and former UM coach Tommy Ammaker. I'm just trying to figger out where the LLLLs should go in his name. Rich LLLLL Rodriguez? :D

-Kevin

No need for the LLLLL's. I'll simply refer to him as Dick Rod. :D

Don Quixote
12-15-07, 10:51 AM
http://uclaband.com/gallery/view_photo.php?set_albumName=cal03&id=66FD0048BrianS

:rofl: :rofl:No way!!:laugh:

dando
12-15-07, 11:11 AM
Looks like Bilas agrees with my assessment the UM AD Martin is a root cause of UM failures:

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071215/SPORTS06/312150013/1054&GID=Ju3A+JogdpNsItC20/cMOEX5ysNSnOqCf3apQ7heFl4%3D

Apparently, it's not just the U-M football coaching search that Michigan AD Bill Martin should be taking heat for.

Jay Bilas of ESPN went as far as to say that Martin should not be the Wolverines' athletic director anymore -- not because of the way Martin has handled the coaching search, but for the way he has recently treated the U-M men's hoops program.

Asked in a college basketball chat of which program was in bigger trouble -- Michigan or Kentucky, Bilas said, "Michigan. They just don't get it. I think that John Beilein will do a great job, with time. But, it will take time. Michigan had a dirty program, brought in Amaker to clean it up, and he did that. Along the way, he won. He just didn't crack the NCAA Tournament barrier. Now, with good talent, they are getting their heads bashed in because they are starting over. How do you think those kids feel? Their heads are spinning. It is clear to me that one person needs to go...and that is Bill Martin. He has presided over this, and if the prior coach needed to go, then Martin should go too. If an AD's job is to put the pieces in place to have a winning program, then Martin is not living up to that end. Sorry, but that is how I see it."

Bingo! (But I hope they keep him). :gomer:

-Kevin

dando
12-16-07, 04:22 PM
Rodriguez to UM:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3157227

Sorry about your luck, Insomniac.

-Kevin

Insomniac
12-16-07, 05:26 PM
Rodriguez to UM:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3157227

Sorry about your luck, Insomniac.

-Kevin

I can't believe Dave Wannstadt started the events that made this possible. Oh well. He's a damn good college coach, but he clearly wasn't at WVU for the long haul despite the fact that he could've coached there until he retired.

Guy won't even coach them in the bowl game. 16 days away. Carr is coaching Michigan.

Terry Bowden next?

Andrew Longman
12-16-07, 05:38 PM
He's a damn good college coach, but he clearly wasn't at WVU for the long haul despite the fact that he could've coached there until he retired.

Given how UofM doesn't fire coaches, he can probably coach there until he retires too.

Sad to see him go. I liked RU going up against Rodriguez's Mountaineers. It was always a game you circled on the calendar. Now, not so sure.

I guess it is good for UofM though his spread approach is lightyears away from Bo's three yard and a rug burn approach.

dando
12-16-07, 05:54 PM
Terry Bowden next?

Dude's been black balled worse than Teddy Nolan (former Sabres coach). :saywhat: It took Nolan ~8 years to get a new coaching gig in the NHL.

-Kevin

dando
12-16-07, 06:17 PM
Given how UofM doesn't fire coaches, he can probably coach there until he retires too.

Well, Gary Moeller was likely helped out the door after the fiasco he got into.

-Kevin

Insomniac
12-16-07, 09:57 PM

Sad to see him go. I liked RU going up against Rodriguez's Mountaineers. It was always a game you circled on the calendar. Now, not so sure.

I guess it is good for UofM though his spread approach is lightyears away from Bo's three yard and a rug burn approach.

He'd have to keep winning (I doubt Michigan is paying him 2.4-2.5M/yr to lose) and want to stay there. I don't know why he left WVU, but if it was for anything other than personal issues (I doubt it was money) what will keep him at Michigan?

I predict he will be gone in < 5 years.

Insomniac
12-16-07, 09:58 PM
Dude's been black balled worse than Teddy Nolan (former Sabres coach). :saywhat: It took Nolan ~8 years to get a new coaching gig in the NHL.

-Kevin

I can't recall if he was interviewed after Don Nehlen retired. I know he was speculated to have a shot at that time.

Edit:

When contacted today Bowden said, “I made a full commitment to get back into coaching almost two years ago, and West Virginia obviously would be the dream job for me.”
http://www.wvmetronews.com/index.cfm?func=displayfullstory&storyid=22577

ferrarigod
12-17-07, 02:46 AM
michigan hires a dude that lost to pitt.

might as well kept LLLLLLoyd. I'm sure RRRRRich will really work out for them. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

losers.

dando
12-17-07, 11:39 AM
I can't recall if he was interviewed after Don Nehlen retired. I know he was speculated to have a shot at that time.

Edit:

http://www.wvmetronews.com/index.cfm?func=displayfullstory&storyid=22577

Interesting. Follow in Daddy's footsteps. His name hasn't been mentioned with any coaching jobs the past several years, which I never understood. Perhaps the smoke has cleared now after the Auburn debacle.

-Kevin

Ankf00
12-17-07, 02:36 PM
the auburn debacle was also fueled by boosters and pretty low rumors, same as Nutt's saga last year

but if it was for anything other than personal issues (I doubt it was money) what will keep him at Michigan?

I predict he will be gone in < 5 years. michigan's a destination job, a couple of conf titles + 10/11 win seasons, and he'll get the Les Miles upgrade from the AD, 3+/yr. Michigan still has the draw to recruit nationally, has the facilities and tradition.

the only way he's gone in <5 years is if he's fired.

and apparently slick rick is in the UCLA hunt, ruh roh.

Insomniac
12-17-07, 02:38 PM
Kevin,

I guess you may be joining me in my misery over Rodriguez to Michigan:

As soon as Rich Rodriguez said yesterday that he is leaving West Virginia to coach Michigan, the Wolverines jumped into the derby for the nation's No. 1 prospect, quarterback Terrelle Pryor of Jeannette, Pa.

That puts Rodriguez toe-to-toe with Ohio State right off the bat, because the Buckeyes have long been one of the serious contenders to land the 6-foot-6 quarterback.

Pryor has erased West Virginia and added Michigan to his list of colleges to consider. He did it the moment Rodriguez, the godfather of the shotgun spread option, called to let him know that he is replacing retired coach Lloyd Carr in Ann Arbor.

"Yes, sir, I am considering Michigan now," Pryor said by phone last night.

The reason is simple.

"That's why I was considering going to West Virginia, for that offense and for Rodriguez," said Pryor, a dual running-throwing threat whose final list also includes Florida, Oregon and Penn State.

http://www.columbusdispatch.com/live/content/football/stories/2007/12/17/Central_Ohio.1.Sports_F.ART_ART_12-17-07_C1_AA8Q276.html?sid=101

I guess he called him and told him the good news before his players. What a great guy.

Insomniac
12-17-07, 02:42 PM
the only way he's gone in <5 years is if he's fired.

One way or another, I stand by it. Gone in < 5 years.

Ankf00
12-17-07, 02:50 PM
Former West Virginia coach Don Nehlen, who coached Rodriguez when he played for the Mountaineers and was on Bo Schembechler's staff at Michigan, endorsed the move.

"I felt it was a great opportunity for Rich," Nehlen told the AP in a telephone interview from Morgantown, W.Va. "There are not many Michigans around."

dando
12-17-07, 03:08 PM
Kevin,

I guess you may be joining me in my misery over Rodriguez to Michigan:

http://www.columbusdispatch.com/live/content/football/stories/2007/12/17/Central_Ohio.1.Sports_F.ART_ART_12-17-07_C1_AA8Q276.html?sid=101

I guess he called him and told him the good news before his players. What a great guy.

Oh, yeah, that's been discussed alot around here. Frankly, I just don't know where they would put him, as they are already three deep @ QB, four if you count former baseball minor leaguer Joe Bauserman, who also joined the team this season. The #2 QB has been working out with the TEs lately, and third stringer Antonio Henton (a T. Smith type QB) has taken over @ #2. Could make for some interesting wrinkles for LSU to defend. There was some mention of using Henton vs. UM, but it wasn't necessary with the OSU D strangling UM's O. Tress had success using the Shot Ginn formation vs. a Miles coached Okie OSU in the '04 Alamo Bowl. For some odd reason, we never saw the Shot Ginn again after that game. :confused:

In any case, Rodriguez has his work cut out for him, as he needs to totally retool that team. QB Mallette does not fit the spread scheme, nor do the incumbent RBs, which are power backs. Look for a Zook-type turnaround in three seasons. If not, look for Rodriguez to go elsewhere in four or five seasons.

-Kevin

Insomniac
12-17-07, 03:38 PM
Oh, yeah, that's been discussed alot around here. Frankly, I just don't know where they would put him, as they are already three deep @ QB, four if you count former baseball minor leaguer Joe Bauserman, who also joined the team this season. The #2 QB has been working out with the TEs lately, and third stringer Antonio Henton (a T. Smith type QB) has taken over @ #2. Could make for some interesting wrinkles for LSU to defend. There was some mention of using Henton vs. UM, but it wasn't necessary with the OSU D strangling UM's O. Tress had success using the Shot Ginn formation vs. a Miles coached Okie OSU in the '04 Alamo Bowl. For some odd reason, we never saw the Shot Ginn again after that game. :confused:

In any case, Rodriguez has his work cut out for him, as he needs to totally retool that team. QB Mallette does not fit the spread scheme, nor do the incumbent RBs, which are power backs. Look for a Zook-type turnaround in three seasons. If not, look for Rodriguez to go elsewhere in four or five seasons.

-Kevin

I didn't pay much attention to Michigan, but he needs speed. He went 3-8 his first year at WVU. If he doesn't have speed at RB and QB right now, he'll have to get it for the spread.

Dr. Corkski
12-17-07, 04:18 PM
Norm Parker's head's gonna assplode when he sees that spread option. :laugh:

Ankf00
12-17-07, 04:30 PM
sam mcguffie + terrelle pryor == a nice future.

Insomniac
12-17-07, 05:20 PM
Saban flirting with WVU?

Sources close to University President Mike Garrison have informed WBGV that Nick Saban’s agent has contacted WVU regarding our vacant head-coaching position.

These sources tell us that Saban is extremely unhappy in Tuscaloosa and has failed to recapture the situation he had in Baton Rouge with LSU. The purpose of the agent’s call was to express initial interest in the position and to have WVU athletics put together a compensation package enough to lure Saban from Alabama. This package would not need to be as much as Saban is currently making at Alabama, but enough to not result in a 50% paycut. So, we’re obviously talking more than the $1.9 million former coach Rich Rodriguez was making.

Again, this is all very preliminary, but solid sources have confirmed that Nick Saban’s agent has contacted West Virginia University.

http://wbgv.wordpress.com/2007/12/17/nick-sabans-agent-contacts-wvu/

Ankf00
12-17-07, 05:36 PM
:rofl:

Andrew Longman
12-17-07, 05:49 PM
Saban? How about Terry Bowden?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/ncaa/specials/bowls/2007/12/17/bc.fbc.wvirginia.coach.ap/index.html?eref=si_topstories

This is going to be nuts, and is really going to hurt WV recruiting.

Don Quixote
12-17-07, 06:09 PM
Saban? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Insomniac
12-17-07, 06:10 PM
Saban? How about Terry Bowden?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/ncaa/specials/bowls/2007/12/17/bc.fbc.wvirginia.coach.ap/index.html?eref=si_topstories

This is going to be nuts, and is really going to hurt WV recruiting.

They were killed the moment Rodriguez left. Recruiting could only get better at this point.

Insomniac
12-17-07, 06:21 PM
Shawn Fluharty, 23, stood in the freezing weather and yelled, "You might have been born a Mountaineer, but you are no longer a Mountaineer. You have made a whole career off of Pat White's juke moves. You've been outcoached by Pitt's coach Dave Wannstedt; what do you think Ohio State coach Jim Tressel will do to you?"

http://www.dailymail.com/Sports/WVUSports/200712170132

:rofl:

Andrew Longman
12-17-07, 06:56 PM
Wow. A lot of instant hate for coach in WV.

Can't say there wouldn't have been more of the same in Jersey if Schiano had gone (even if it would have been more understandable that a RU coach would leave for the UofM job and a WV coach)

Still, I'm impressed that Schiano says he didn't know what he would tell his players until he was confronted with having to face his players and give them the news.

Rodriguez apparently told his recruits before he told his players and will not coach the bowl game. Far fall from being a game away from the BCS championship a few weeks ago.

OTOH didn't Rodriguez accept and then decline the Bama job last year? Why are WV fans surprised? OTOOH, if a university such as WV can't keep a home boy like RR what hope do they have of keeping any successful coach?

Ankf00
12-17-07, 07:34 PM
Wow. A lot of instant hate for coach in WV. same vitriol seen at UH and any other non-destination program when the coach leaves. difference being there's a standard way of doing it, and then there's the Dennis Errickson/Todd Graham/Dennis Franchione snake oil way of doing it. only the idiots burn the coaches in effigy for the former. Art Briles was pretty much tarred & feathered after leaving for Baylor, so he left and took a couple of his coaches, he didn't lie to the AD about interviewing (Nieuheisel, Errickson, Graham) or the offer, he told his players face to face (Franchione, Graham), he told his coaches in person (Saban).

Rodriguez apparently told his recruits before he told his players and will not coach the bowl game. Far fall from being a game away from the BCS championship a few weeks ago. if he told his players the news over the phone he'd be chastised for not doing it face to face. primary method of communication with the recruits, however, is over the phone.

plus even if the coach stays for the bowl game, the stats show that the lame duck coach usually loses the bowl game. meyer over harris in the fiesta was lame duck vs. lame duck.

OTOH didn't Rodriguez accept and then decline the Bama job last year? Why are WV fans surprised? OTOOH, if a university such as WV can't keep a home boy like RR what hope do they have of keeping any successful coach? I don't recall him officially accepting it after the interview process, could be wrong though. Sucks for the players having to learn a new system

Andrew Longman
12-17-07, 07:48 PM
I don't recall him officially accepting it after the interview process, could be wrong though. Sucks for the players having to learn a new system

There was a public offer and a "reported" agreement in principle, but RR backed out. Either the money wasn't enough or the job wasn't attractive enough to weather the storm at home. UofM is more understandable.

Insomniac
12-17-07, 09:20 PM
Wow. A lot of instant hate for coach in WV.

Can't say there wouldn't have been more of the same in Jersey if Schiano had gone (even if it would have been more understandable that a RU coach would leave for the UofM job and a WV coach)

Still, I'm impressed that Schiano says he didn't know what he would tell his players until he was confronted with having to face his players and give them the news.

Rodriguez apparently told his recruits before he told his players and will not coach the bowl game. Far fall from being a game away from the BCS championship a few weeks ago.

OTOH didn't Rodriguez accept and then decline the Bama job last year? Why are WV fans surprised? OTOOH, if a university such as WV can't keep a home boy like RR what hope do they have of keeping any successful coach?

There is a lot of hate because of Alabama last year. He was set to leave, and this is the mistake Michigan did not let happen, he was able to come home and the boosters and the Governor were able to convince/entice him to stay. He really hurt the people in WV who felt that the job was his for life and they really loved him. He professed he would stay at WV for a very, very long time after that. When news broke that he was talking to Michigan, that was it for many. We (all the people I know) just wished he would leave and get it over with. For him to even consider leaving one year after the Alabama thing, it was too much. If he stayed, I'm sure all would be forgiven, but we all felt betrayed.

I'm not sure what you expect from WV fans? They aren't going to wish him luck. The program bent over backwards to keep him last year. He saw how much the people of WV wanted him to be the coach. He made us believe he was really going to stay for a long time.

Insomniac
12-17-07, 09:26 PM
if he told his players the news over the phone he'd be chastised for not doing it face to face. primary method of communication with the recruits, however, is over the phone.

plus even if the coach stays for the bowl game, the stats show that the lame duck coach usually loses the bowl game. meyer over harris in the fiesta was lame duck vs. lame duck.

He called the recruits before he told his players. It's over with, but he put informing recruits ahead of the guys who played for him. Why it couldn't wait until after I don't know, and really don't care. He's not our coach.

I read the resignation letter was dated the day after the Fiesta Bowl. I don't know if either side wants him to coach them.

Insomniac
12-17-07, 09:48 PM
Sources say women's soccer Coach Nikki Izzo-Brown interviewed with Michigan this month to be the next coach there. Izzo-Brown could not be reached for comment Sunday.

She's the only coach the program has had and is 165-67-19 in her 12 seasons. The Mountaineers won the Big East Conference Tournament title for the first time this season and advanced to the NCAA Tournament quarterfinals.

Looks like one school can find and hire good coaches and another can just poach them. I love the UofM!

Ankf00
12-17-07, 10:19 PM
T He really hurt the people in WV who felt that the job was his for life and they really loved him. He professed he would stay at WV for a very, very long time after that. and Mack told UNC he wasn't going anywhere, either. sucks for the players/fans but that's how it goes when top 10 programs come calling

he couldn't wait to call all his recruits b/c the months-long recruiting dead period's coming up. can't call recruits after that.

Insomniac
12-17-07, 11:34 PM
and Mack told UNC he wasn't going anywhere, either. sucks for the players/fans but that's how it goes when top 10 programs come calling

he couldn't wait to call all his recruits b/c the months-long recruiting dead period's coming up. can't call recruits after that.

Doesn't mean the people can't feel betrayed over it though. I don't know anything about Mack, but Rodriguez was born and raised in WV and went to WVU. We thought he was there for the long haul, and it was stupid in hindsight, but we believed he didn't want to go anywhere even though there were better schools out there.

He couldn't wait a couple hours? Please.

coolhand
12-18-07, 05:13 AM
http://fastandfuriousfootball.com/CollegeOffense/2005_Univ_of_West_Virginia_Offense.pdf

Someone is pissed. The WVU playbook is posted on the web.

chop456
12-18-07, 06:54 AM
How much of that has changed in the last 2.5 years?

Insomniac
12-18-07, 11:30 AM
How much of that has changed in the last 2.5 years?

I doubt it has changed a lot. But even knowing the opponents playbook won't help unless you know all the play calls.

dando
12-18-07, 11:58 AM
I doubt it has changed a lot. But even knowing the opponents playbook won't help unless you know all the play calls.

Well, then just call Bill's video guy... :gomer:

-Kevin

Don Quixote
12-18-07, 01:48 PM
They lost to Pitt. Hmmmmm. :\

Ankf00
12-18-07, 02:05 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3159677

now I'll call him a **** sucker.

Insomniac
12-18-07, 02:14 PM
Well, then just call Bill's video guy... :gomer:

-Kevin

I wonder if he's still employed by the Pats.

Insomniac
12-18-07, 02:16 PM

This is going to get real messy for WVU.

http://postgazette.com/pg/07352/842541-144.stm

Don Quixote
12-18-07, 02:43 PM

Attorneys for former West Virginia coach Rich Rodriguez are planning to argue against Rodriguez having to pay the university a $4 million buyout, claiming he was "fraudulently induced to sign a contract with false promises."

OMG, Michigan can have him. What a jerk.

nrc
12-18-07, 02:52 PM
Nice that they've hired a coach that we can dislike right from the start.

dando
12-18-07, 03:48 PM

Ken Kendrick, a primary West Virginia athletics donor and close friend of Rodriguez, said Tuesday he had knowledge of lawyers' intentions to contest the buyout.

"I will be a witness to any and all proceedings that occur," said Kendrick, who is the managing general partner of Major League Baseball's Arizona Diamondbacks. "They baited and switched him. Rich was boxed in by a university and athletic department that was arrogant, mean-spirited and intellectually bankrupt.

"How can someone like me now commit money to this university?"

:saywhat: What a douchebag! :irked:

He's not picking up the tab for this, so why start this fight now? Just go away and do the needful @ UM and don't burn bridges, you ****ing moron. :shakehead

-Kevin

dando
12-19-07, 12:08 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news?slug=jo-bigtenref121807&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

A Big Ten football officiating team that came under scrutiny for its performance in two conference games last month was led by a crew chief with a history of bankruptcy, casino gambling, child abuse and allegations of sexual harassment, a Yahoo! Sports investigation has revealed.

Big 10+1 is spending too much time promoting BTN to keep its house in order. :irked: I want F. Jim Delaney's head on a platter. :mad: Other conferences step up and call out refs when they are bad, but the Big 10+1 protects them. No wonder foosball and basketball officiating is so pathetic in the Big 10. :flame: Folks, I watch alot of college hoops during the season and March Madness, and I can attest that Big 10 hoops officials are just plain awful. :thumdown:

-Kevin

Ankf00
12-19-07, 12:27 PM
big xii football is up there for shittiness. the current head of officiating has turned it into a good ol boys club, when his other friends get fired for sucking, he hires 'em while he fires all the good ones we have (had, really).

Sean O'Gorman
12-19-07, 12:42 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news?slug=jo-bigtenref121807&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Big 10+1 is spending too much time promoting BTN to keep its house in order. :irked: I want F. Jim Delaney's head on a platter. :mad: Other conferences step up and call out refs when they are bad, but the Big 10+1 protects them. No wonder foosball and basketball officiating is so pathetic in the Big 10. :flame: Folks, I watch alot of college hoops during the season and March Madness, and I can attest that Big 10 hoops officials are just plain awful. :thumdown:

-Kevin

Did they get that guy from the SEC?

Horizon League officials suck too, they forgot to fix the game so that CSU wins.

dando
12-19-07, 12:51 PM
Horizon League officials suck too, they forgot to fix the game so that CSU wins.

Last night was revenge for '94. ;)

-Kevin

nrc
12-28-07, 11:58 AM
Ank, if your boys are trying to start their own "12th man" tradition I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to work that way. :rofl:

yWy9wZ3l46U

Andrew Longman
12-28-07, 01:02 PM
That almost had 1954 Cotton Bowl, Dicky Moegel, and Tommy Lewis written all over it. :D

Don Quixote
12-28-07, 03:44 PM
Ank, if your boys are trying to start their own "12th man" tradition I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to work that way. :rofl:

All we know is that his name is Chris, and Chris is the most relieved person on the planet.

Ankf00
12-28-07, 04:06 PM
what I don't get is the replay doesn't show the ball's course being altered at all, yet the ruling is changed based on the replay. :saywhat:

Insomniac
12-28-07, 04:23 PM
what I don't get is the replay doesn't show the ball's course being altered at all, yet the ruling is changed based on the replay. :saywhat:

I think it's a penalty whether the ball was touched or not. He was still on the field of play. (I know a lot of the time players/coaches do step onto the field, but they're doing us all a favor by not flagging them since they are way away from the actual play.)

Ankf00
12-28-07, 04:40 PM
the penalty was for touching the ball, otherwise it would just be a sideline warning. not that it matters in the end, but the call was made due to replay review, and you can't issue an official sideline warning based on review. and the video doesn't show the ball's trajectory or rotation being altered, which one would think would be essential to overturning a ruling on the field.

meh, whatever.

cameraman
12-28-07, 04:40 PM
It wasn't just him, there was at least a dozen people on the field. That coach needs to teach his entire team how to behave on the side line.

Andrew Longman
12-28-07, 04:50 PM
From the Boss' post lead-in I thought a player on the sideline was going to jump on the ball, or pick it up and run into the endzone. But a coach with no business ever being on the field or touching the ball? :rolleyes:

I played organized football for many, many years and I have never understood why players and coaches can't stay off the field or why refs allow it. Many never even issue a warning and those that do seem to never issue a penalty. I was at a HS game this fall and there were eight warnings between the two teams.

What so hard about staying on one side of a line?

As for the Texas game I think the refs felt that whether he really touched it or not, there is no excuse for even trying to touch it (which he did, until the last nano-second). May not be letter of the rule, but so what? Get on the sideline.

Ankf00
12-28-07, 05:09 PM
he had no business trying to pick it up, but he thought it was an inc pass and dead ball, thus why he's motioning illegal grounding during the run up to his snafu.

Insomniac
12-28-07, 05:42 PM
the penalty was for touching the ball, otherwise it would just be a sideline warning. not that it matters in the end, but the call was made due to replay review, and you can't issue an official sideline warning based on review. and the video doesn't show the ball's trajectory or rotation being altered, which one would think would be essential to overturning a ruling on the field.

meh, whatever.

The penalty was unsportsmanlike conduct which also would apply to him being on the field of play whether the ball was touched or not. I can see that on the video, it does look like all the people on the field think the play is over and it doesn't look like he touched the ball when he realized the play wasn't dead. But, being that close to a live ball has to be a penalty if you're supposed to be on the sideline.

Insomniac
12-28-07, 05:45 PM
I played organized football for many, many years and I have never understood why players and coaches can't stay off the field or why refs allow it. Many never even issue a warning and those that do seem to never issue a penalty. I was at a HS game this fall and there were eight warnings between the two teams.

What so hard about staying on one side of a line?

You'll notice it happens when the teams are at the end zone mostly. People are trying to see what is going on down there. Did you have 100+ people on your sideline in HS? Usually it's not a problem even when they do step on the field which is why this type of thing almost never happens.

Andrew Longman
12-28-07, 05:50 PM
You'll notice it happens when the teams are at the end zone mostly. People are trying to see what is going on down there. Did you have 100+ people on your sideline in HS? Usually it's not a problem even when they do step on the field which is why this type of thing almost never happens.

I had 140 on the sideline of home games in college, and seeing is sometimes an issue. It's important to keep your head in the game so you know when you might need to go in, but its a simple thing and if the players stand where they are supposed to which is in a box well off the sideline, its not an issue.

Ankf00
12-28-07, 06:14 PM
The penalty was unsportsmanlike conduct which also would apply to him being on the field of play whether the ball was touched or not. I can see that on the video, it does look like all the people on the field think the play is over and it doesn't look like he touched the ball when he realized the play wasn't dead. But, being that close to a live ball has to be a penalty if you're supposed to be on the sideline.

you can't award a general unsportsmanlike conduct based off of a replay review. the penalty was for contact and the ref says just that during his explanation for overturning the ruling on the field, and contact is all the replay official could review, the replay official cannot retroactively flag him for non-contact interference.

Andrew Longman
12-28-07, 06:34 PM
you can't award a general unsportsmanlike conduct based off of a replay review. the penalty was for contact and the ref says just that during his explanation for overturning the ruling on the field, and contact is all the replay official could review, the replay official cannot retroactively flag him for non-contact interference.

HE PASSED ME UNDER YELLOW!!! HE PASSED ME UNDER YELLOW!!!

Ankf00
12-28-07, 06:41 PM
the tense of the verb "passed" would imply that Helio know english.

nrc
12-28-07, 08:38 PM
You can. It was added as a reviewable item this year. The official really didn't even have to worry about contact, only whether they interfered with the play which they undoubtedly did.

From the NCAA rulebook list of reviewable plays (12-3-3).

j. Any person who is not a player interfering with live-ball action occurring in the field of play (Rules 9-1-4 and 9-2-3-c).

Rule 9 deals with participant conduct. The officials had wide leeway in how to handle this case and it really seems like the course they chose was entirely fair under the circumstances.
9-1-4:
Illegal Interference
ARTICLE 4. a. No substitute, coach, authorized attendant or any person
subject to the rules, other than a player or official, may interfere in any way
with the ball or a player while the ball is in play.
PENALTY—15 yards from the basic spot. The referee may enforce any
penalty he considers equitable, including awarding a score
[S27].
9-2-1b
b. Other prohibited acts include:
1. During the game, coaches, substitutes and authorized attendants in
the team area shall not be on the field of play or outside the 25-yard
lines without permission from the referee unless legally entering or
leaving the field (Exceptions: Rules 1-2-4-g and 3-3-8-c). Team area
personnel who are outside the team area and who have involvement
or impact on live-ball play are subject to penalty under Rule 9-1-4-
a.

9-2-3-c:c.
If an obviously unfair act not specifically covered by the rules occurs during the game (A.R. 4-2-1-II).
PENALTY—The referee may take any action he considers equitable,
including assessing a penalty, awarding a score, or
suspending or forfeiting the game.

Insomniac
12-28-07, 09:13 PM

OK, I didn't know that penalty could not be assessed after a review. If that's the case, the replay official must be blind.

Edit--nrc covered for me. :) Thanks!

Ankf00
12-28-07, 10:16 PM
dp

Ankf00
12-28-07, 10:19 PM
9-2-1b prescribes a dead ball foul at the succeeding spot, so it definitely wouldn't be ASU ball from the 7 nor would it be 4th down, would be 15 yards assessed from the 35 where the play is dead.

regarding 9-1-4, I stand corrected. the fact that it can be reviewed is bs if holding, PI, and other major judgment calls aren't eligible for review. regarding non-contact interference, the case for that is questionable imo since on the replay there's no ASU player even in the vicinity, 1:45 mark http://youtube.com/watch?v=TT5NY-1zHpI , the guy who knocks Lokey out along the sideline didn't slow a step so the player certainly wasn't interfered with, the only possibility was touching the ball at that point. The guy is where he shouldn't be, but the neither player nor ball were interfered with seemingly, but it's all interpretation as you said. This is a live ball foul so it'd be ASU from the 7, but it should've been 1st down at that point, refs couldn't even get that much right.

again, meh, but the ref's f'ed up even if the call was correct.

Andrew Longman
12-28-07, 10:55 PM
Come on Ank, let it go. Its only a few more days to the fabulous International Bowl. Let's get our game face on. :D

Ankf00
12-28-07, 11:36 PM
canuckistan bowl, holla!

nrc
12-29-07, 01:12 AM
9-2-1b prescribes a dead ball foul at the succeeding spot, so it definitely wouldn't be ASU ball from the 7 nor would it be 4th down, would be 15 yards assessed from the 35 where the play is dead. It says "Team area personnel who are outside the team area and who have involvement or impact on live-ball play are subject to penalty under Rule 9-1-4-a." Whether or not you want to admit interference there's no question they had involvement. That puts the penalty under 9-1-4a which is a 15 yard penalty from the basic spot - which for defensive foul is the previous spot.

coolhand
12-29-07, 01:16 AM
On my HS team coaches would have to turn around every 5 minutes and yell "BACK THE **** UP". We had a large team and if you wanted to see if you needed to be in or not you had to creep up.

Ankf00
12-29-07, 04:30 PM
but if that's the ruling it's still a 1st down, not 4th, ain't it?

Ankf00
12-29-07, 05:30 PM
Skippy's moving on up. Westwood, holla!

What's the over/under on days 'till they're slapped with a good ol' "Lack of Institutional Control?"

nrc
12-29-07, 05:51 PM
but if that's the ruling it's still a 1st down, not 4th, ain't it?

9-1-4 is listed as referee's discretion.

Full rulebook here (http://www.ncaa.org/library/rules/2007/2007_football_rules.pdf). Nice to have for strange stuff like this.

Ankf00
12-29-07, 06:02 PM
I wonder if the SEC releases ref reports for bowl games.

Ankf00
12-30-07, 02:33 PM
4th and 1 and Japorky is on the sideline, worth 1000 words... Go State!

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a101/sfabevo/Image1229-2033TV274.jpg

dando
12-30-07, 02:38 PM
BTW, I caught the bowl pre-game show the other day. Holtz's lisp is doggone obnoxious in 106" hi-def/surround sound goodness. I thought he was about to launch spit on me several times. :yuck: :saywhat: :thumdown:

-Kevin

jcollins28
12-30-07, 06:10 PM
Skippy's moving on up. Westwood, holla!

What's the over/under on days 'till they're slapped with a good ol' "Lack of Institutional Control?"

For once I'm happy about a UCLA Football coach being hired. Rick got shafted at U-Dub he fought it and won. He is a hell of a recruiter and game coach. Just what UCLA needs and is a huge improvement over Karl Dorrell. I can't wait for next year.

Ankf00
12-30-07, 06:24 PM
Skippy took a preseason national title contender and went 5-6. He left U dub recruiting in the shitter, same at CU. He calls recruits during dead periods, he interviews for other jobs and then lies about it to his employer.

What exactly has Skippy ever accomplished aside from that one Rose Bowl win? Anyone's an improvement over Karl though...

jcollins28
12-30-07, 06:33 PM
Skippy took a preseason national title contender and went 5-6. He left U dub recruiting in the shitter, same at CU. He calls recruits during dead periods, he interviews for other jobs and then lies about it to his employer.

What exactly has Skippy ever accomplished aside from that one Rose Bowl win?

In 95 while at Colorado he was 10-2 and 10-2 the next year. Then at U-Dub if a few votes went to U-Dub they could have won the NC title in 2000 when they won the Rose Bowl and the Pac-10 and finished 3rd in the nation. Yeah that is not much is it. Overall he is 66–30, 4-3 in Bowl games. Not nearly as bad as you are trying to make him out to be. I will admit he was not my first choice but he is an improvement over Dorrell.

Ankf00
12-30-07, 06:41 PM
He's not a horrible coach, but the media's fellating him as if he's Bill Walsh and Bear Bryant combined and is going to beat Carroll regularly.

Skippy took CU to 10-2 on the heels of what McCartney built, 11-1 in '94 prior to retirement. He pulled a Larry Coker and left with 5-6 and 8-4 seasons. Aside from the 11 win season at UW he had 2 7 wins seasons and an 8 win. OU was undefeated in 2000 and there was no way he was going to jump both Miami and OU for that trophy. Plus he left both places with NCAA violations.

Better than Dorrell is one thing, but between Erickson, Tedford, Ty, Pete, and Bellotti, is he the needed improvement?

jcollins28
12-30-07, 06:57 PM
He's not a horrible coach, but the media's fellating him as if he's Bill Walsh and Bear Bryant combined and is going to beat Carroll regularly.

Skippy took CU to 10-2 on the heels of what McCartney built, 11-1 in '94 prior to retirement. He pulled a Larry Coker and left with 5-6 and 8-4 seasons. Aside from the 11 win season at UW he had 2 7 wins seasons and an 8 win. OU was undefeated in 2000 and there was no way he was going to jump both Miami and OU for that trophy. Plus he left both places with NCAA violations.

Better than Dorrell is one thing, but between Erickson, Tedford, Ty, Pete, and Bellotti, is he the needed improvement?

Tedford? come on Cal is well Cal. I'm surprised you left Mike Riley off that list?
Riley has done a good job at Oregon State. beating Cheating Petey is a job that is bigger then one man. Although UCLA finally stepped up and gave the football coaches raises across the board. They are still near the bottom of the conference, and they don't include housing allowances like the other programs. It's a basketball school, the administration sees it as a basketball school, I believe many recruits see it as a basketball school, and I think they may have an uphill battle ahead of them. That being said, Slick Rick has alway been able to recruit, so may be he can turn it around.

Having USC in the same town, with a football budget so much bigger than UCLA's makes it hard to compete year in and year out. If the administration starts to change at the top though and gives more money on the football side then things can start to get interesting.

Ankf00
12-30-07, 06:59 PM
the irony of the private school outspending the state school. at least UCLA still has the academic smack :D

jcollins28
12-30-07, 07:01 PM
the irony of the private school outspending the state school. at least UCLA still has the academic smack :D

It's like that joke.

Q. Why do USC players stay in school?

A. Because USC pays so well.

Gnam
01-01-08, 03:08 AM
What's the difference between Cheerios and UCLA?

Cheerios belong in a bowl!

Cal wons the Heli-chopper Bowl. http://img48.imageshack.us/img48/7880/propellerfh5.gif

...barely. :\

Ankf00
01-01-08, 03:32 PM
wisky driving, michigan with the goalline stand. this big televen/sisterhumping encouraged conf. purse fight is getting good.

ruh roh, picked. UTK w/ the win.

dando
01-01-08, 03:46 PM
wisky driving, michigan with the goalline stand. this big televen/sisterhumping encouraged conf. purse fight is getting good.

ruh roh, picked. UTK w/ the win.

Amazing that UM is playing with the Goters, and Wisky gave UT a good game. BC$ championship is looking very, very interesting. :D

EDIT: Mike Hart should STFU and just f'ing play. Jackass. :saywhat:

-Kevin

Ankf00
01-01-08, 05:42 PM
arrington is a baller.

graham harrell is a loudmouthed punk ass. i cant wait to see his now traditional postgame petulant meltdown if he can't finish off UVa. wtf is Hart doing laughing and smiling after his 2nd fumble? :saywhat:

Ankf00
01-01-08, 05:46 PM
tech are some lucky mfr's, holy balls. :eek:

dando
01-01-08, 06:01 PM
Hail to the victors....! :cool: :thumbup:

Congrats, UM. We're gonna miss ya LLLLLLLoyd. :cry: :gomer:

-Kevin